Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knox Central 78 North Laurel 63(13th Region Championship)
Third in a row for Knox
I didn't think the quality of play was all that great this week, with the exception of Central's play tonight.
KC’s size and great balance (five in double figures vs, for North, Sheppard with 38, rest of team with 25) was the difference. If they don’t tighten up on the big stage, they should have a legit shot vs. Ashland.
I was impressed with how Central stayed aggressive, even with the big lead.  That's something you don't see a lot. Very smart. I think it's time that Patterson be recognized as one  region's top coaches.
(03-27-2021, 09:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I was impressed with how Central stayed aggressive, even with the big lead.  That's something you don't see a lot. Very smart. I think it's time that Patterson be recognized as one  region's top coaches.

I saw a graphic where he’s 143-41 in his 6 seasons to go along with 3 region titles. So yea I don’t really see any argument that he’s not in the top 2.
(03-27-2021, 09:53 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: KC’s size and great balance (five in double figures vs, for North, Sheppard with 38, rest of team with 25) was the difference.  If they don’t tighten up on the big stage, they should have a legit shot vs. Ashland.

No doubt.  Has the potential to be a dandy.  Knox did not react well at all to being on the big stage in '19 . 

Cat vs Cat .... I feel bad that the Toms didn't get a chance to be an undefeated state champion last year.  Hopefully, the Toms have four more wins in them.  But you're right , Van , if the Panthers don't wither in the spotlight again, they have a real chance against Blazer.
My Top 5 coaches in the region
1. Patterson
2. Pietrowski
3. Jones
4. Davis
5. Valentine
(03-27-2021, 10:04 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: My Top 5 coaches in the region
1. Patterson
2. Pietrowski
3. Jones
4. Davis
5. Valentine

At this moment it’s really hard to argue with that. I’m a huge fan of Jones.
NL hasn’t impressed me all year. Reed Sheppard has although
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Domination from start to finish by Knox. The difference in the game was Knox had all 5 starters in double figures while NL could only get baskets from Shepherd and Davidson.

All the talk of withering in the spotlight is silly. If Ashland beats them next week it’s probably because Ashland is one of the best teams in the state not because Knox choked.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister D's post:
  • Allcity33
I said ONE of the top coaches. Last three seasons, very impressive. No doubt about it . Seasons prior to that, he lost regional games that he had no business losing.  Also, you can't keep losing to a Corbin team with less talent and be ranked ahead of the Corbin coach.  Two more losses to Corbin this season and two straight on the Panthers home court.  

Zero regional titles with Markelle Turner and those other studs is unfathomable. That included several more losses to a less talented Corbin teams ,  including a head-scratching 55-52 loss in '17   and  75- 60 in '18 . Pietrowski beats Patterson with less talent.  When that is reversed for three or four years, I'll move Patterson up the list.  He's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, in my opinion.
(03-27-2021, 11:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I said ONE of the top coaches. Last three seasons, very impressive. No doubt about it . Seasons prior to that, he lost regional games that he had no business losing.  Also, you can't keep losing to a Corbin team with less talent and be ranked ahead of the Corbin coach.  Two more losses to Corbin this season and two straight on the Panthers home court.  

Zero regional titles with Markelle Turner and those other studs is unfathomable. That included more losses to less talented Corbin teams ,  including a head-scratching 55-52 loss in '17   and  75- 60 in '18 . Pietrowski beats Patterson with less talent.  When that is reversed for three or four years, I'll move Patterson up the list.  He's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, in my opinion.
Behind Davis? Wow. I get you really dislike Knox but there’s no argument Patterson isn’t top 2. You bring up no region titles with Marklelle, he’s won 3 in a row since he graduated. His record speaks for itself and any non biased person would put him at 1 or 2. Not sure how Corbin beating them in the regular season matters though to be honest. By that measure I guess Jeff Davis>Corbin Tony. Or I guess Mike Jones>Coach P since Jones has knocked him out of region tourney 3 times in the last 5-6 seasons including two years Corbin had Andrew Taylor. Fact is in the 6 years he’s been on the job he’s ran the best program.
(03-27-2021, 11:06 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I said ONE of the top coaches. Last three seasons, very impressive. No doubt about it . Seasons prior to that, he lost regional games that he had no business losing.  Also, you can't keep losing to a Corbin team with less talent and be ranked ahead of the Corbin coach.  Two more losses to Corbin this season and two straight on the Panthers home court.  

Zero regional titles with Markelle Turner and those other studs is unfathomable. That included several more losses to a less talented Corbin teams ,  including a head-scratching 55-52 loss in '17   and  75- 60 in '18 . Pietrowski beats Patterson with less talent.  When that is reversed for three or four years, I'll move Patterson up the list.  He's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, in my opinion.

I have a feeling he could win the next 10 regional championships and you wouldn’t give credit where it’s due. He’s coached 6 seasons so based on your comments he should have won at least a couple of more with Markelle Turner. Something like 5 regional championships in 6 years? That seems like a reasonable standard to hold a coach too. 

Has Knox lost some games they should have won? Absolutely. Has Patterson made some mistakes? Absolutely. But he’s done a heck of a job in his first six years.
(03-27-2021, 11:17 PM)Mister D Wrote:

I have a feeling he could win the next 10 regional championships and you wouldn’t give credit where it’s due. He’s coached 6 seasons so based on your comments he should have won at least a couple of more with Markelle Turner. Something like 5 regional championships in 6 years? That seems like a reasonable standard to hold a coach too. 

Has Knox lost some games they should have won? Absolutely. Has Patterson made some mistakes? Absolutely. But he’s done a heck of a job in his first six years.

Yea it’s honestly ridiculous to put him any lower than 2nd. Every coach loses games they should win. It’s part of it.

He's done some good things, no doubt about it.  Because I rank him third best in the region means I don't give him proper credit? Third is pretty damned good.  I give him credit for winning region titles with the best talent in the region .  He also lost regionals to teams with inferior talent.  Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I think he's done a very admirable job.  But he's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, imo  . Both of those coaches have worn Patterson out .  These three regional titles have moved him into the top 3, though.

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67
(03-28-2021, 12:00 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

He's done some good things, no doubt about it.  Because I rank him third best in the region means I don't give him proper credit? Third is pretty damned good.  I give him credit for winning region titles with the best talent in the region .  He also lost regionals to teams with inferior talent.  Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I think he's done a very admirable job.  But he's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, imo  . Both of those coaches have worn Patterson out .  These three regional titles have moved him into the top 3, though.

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

Knox has not had the best talent the last 2 years. They weren’t picked by anyone to win region the past two seasons. Davis vs Patterson in region tourney is 1-1. Davis 1 region title at the second largest school in the region. But again I have no idea why head to head records in regular season matter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Allcity33's post:
  • mr.fundamental

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

I think it’s reasonable to say he is in the top 3. It just seems like you have two completely different sets of standards. One for Patterson and another for Davis and Pietrowski. Davis has won one regional championship in 10 years at SL (you could say he’s won a region 10% of the time). Pietrwoski has 4 regional championships in 20 plus years (20%). Patterson has 3 in six years (50%). Seems like simple math 50% vs 20% vs 10%. 

My point is it’s completely fair to rank other coaches ahead of Patterson but you lose credibility when you use different standards.
(03-28-2021, 12:16 AM)Mister D Wrote:

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

I think it’s reasonable to say he is in the top 3. It just seems like you have two completely different sets of standards. One for Patterson and another for Davis and Pietrowski. Davis has won one regional championship in 10 years at SL (you could say he’s won a region 10% of the time). Pietrwoski has 4 regional championships in 20 plus years (20%). Patterson has 3 in six years (50%). Seems like simple math 50% vs 20% vs 10%. 

My point is it’s completely fair to rank other coaches ahead of Patterson but you lose credibility when you use different standards.

I didn't realize I was using different standards. I rate Davis 1st because he has owned Pietrowski and Patterson and consistently has South among the favorites every year.  I have Pietrowski #2 because he has owned Patterson with less talented teams. I moved Patterson to #3 after his trifecta. Seems reasonable to me.
(Btw, I think Pietrowski overachieved with the talent he had this year but until he starts beating Davis he's going to stay #2. Davis has beaten him nine straight times).  Now, Pietrowski may very well be better than Davis, but with three straight years of three losses, I can't in good conscience rank him above Jeff.
(03-27-2021, 10:20 PM)Mister D Wrote: Domination from start to finish by Knox. The difference in the game was Knox had all 5 starters in double figures while NL could only get baskets from Shepherd and Davidson.

All the talk of withering in the spotlight is silly. If Ashland beats them next week it’s probably because Ashland is one of the best teams in the state not because Knox choked.

I don’t think it’s silly. They went to Rupp two years ago with a talented team, and withered on the big stage. They are playing a good team this year, but a team that just had to win back-to-back overtime games against teams not as good as Knox just to get to state tournament. So, yeah, if they don’t wither, they could win. And would have a real shot in elite 8 against Boyle Co.-Paintsville winner.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Old School Hound
(03-28-2021, 08:04 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 10:20 PM)Mister D Wrote: Domination from start to finish by Knox. The difference in the game was Knox had all 5 starters in double figures while NL could only get baskets from Shepherd and Davidson.

All the talk of withering in the spotlight is silly.  If Ashland beats them next week it’s probably because Ashland is one of the best teams in the state not because Knox choked.

I don’t think it’s silly. They went to Rupp two years ago with a talented team, and withered on the big stage. They are playing a good team this year, but a team that just had to win back-to-back overtime games against teams not as good as Knox just to get to state tournament. So, yeah, if they don’t wither, they could win. And would have a real shot in elite 8 against Boyle Co.-Paintsville winner.

It seems like you all really dislike Knox for some reason. If they win games it’s because the “play of the entire tournament was down this year” and if they lose it’s because they withered. Ashland is 53-4 in the last two years. If they lose to them it’s probably because Ashland is pretty good.
(03-27-2021, 10:20 PM)Mister D Wrote: Domination from start to finish by Knox. The difference in the game was Knox had all 5 starters in double figures while NL could only get baskets from Shepherd and Davidson.

All the talk of withering in the spotlight is silly.  If Ashland beats them next week it’s probably because Ashland is one of the best teams in the state not because Knox choked.

I agree totally. Two years ago, Knox was clearly affected by the big stage of the Sweet Sixteen and Rupp Arena. They had a 30-win team that was favored to win  over WV Instead, Patterson's Panthers failed like a Trump business venture. Folded like a  1960's camera.

One thing that so impressed me with Clay County teams, and to some degree ,South Laurel , is that they seldom  seemed intimidated on the grand stage of the state tournament. They always took it right to the powerful Louisville and Northern KY schools. Maybe this Knox team can redeem the failings of past Panther teams on the big stage. Let's face it, with five of the top ten teams in the state already eliminated and not having to face Corbin again, they have the potential to win some games in Lexington.
(03-28-2021, 01:00 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

I didn't realize I was using different standards. I rate Davis 1st because he has owned Pietrowski and Patterson and consistently has South among the favorites every year.  I have Pietrowski #2 because he has owned Patterson with less talented teams. I moved Patterson to #3 after his trifecta. Seems reasonable to me.
(Btw, I think Pietrowski overachieved with the talent he had this year but until he starts beating Davis he's going to stay #2. Davis has beaten him nine straight times).  Now, Pietrowski may very well be better than Davis, but with three straight years of three losses, I can't in good conscience rank him above Jeff.

Fair enough. We will just have to agree to disagree. At the end of the day none of this matters. Knox played a fantastic game yesterday and won against a really solid NL team. They get a chance to play at Rupp and I for one will be cheering for them to get a W and represent EKY well.
(03-28-2021, 10:18 AM)Mister D Wrote:

It seems like you all really dislike Knox for some reason. If they win games it’s because the “play of the entire tournament was down this year” and if they lose it’s because they withered. Ashland is 53-4 in the last two years. If they lose to them it’s probably because Ashland is pretty good.

I'll let Van speak for himself but I'm saying a very talented KC team withered on the big stage against a good, but inferior, opponent in '19.  They lost by a whopping 22 points to a team they should have beaten. If they lose a close, contested game to Ashland will I say they choked? NO.  If they lose by 25 points, will I say the stage was probably too big for them again ? YES.  Talent-wise, Knox matches up favorably with Ashland, who, as Van accurately pointed out, barely escaped in their last two games against teams not nearly as talented as Knox.  

Btw, if Knox beats Ashland a handful of Panther enthusiasts on here will claim that Patterson should be above Coach K and just below John Wooden on the list of all-time greatest coaches.  I still think third in the 13th region is about right for now.

(03-28-2021, 10:21 AM)Mister D Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 11:17 PM)Mister D Wrote: I have a feeling he could win the next 10 regional championships and you wouldn’t give credit where it’s due. He’s coached 6 seasons so based on your comments he should have won at least a couple of more with Markelle Turner. Something like 5 regional championships in 6 years? That seems like a reasonable standard to hold a coach too. 

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

Fair enough. We will just have to agree to disagree. At the end of the day none of this matters. Knox played a fantastic game yesterday and won against a really solid NL team. They get a chance to play at Rupp and I for one will be cheering for them to get a W and represent EKY well.

They played a TERRIFIC game yesterday. What really impressed me was Patterson's philosophy of keeping pedal down and staying with the same aggressive offensive play that got them the big lead. Now, if they had given up that big lead, he would have been criticized .  However,  I  thought it was pretty refreshing. Too often you see teams get passive and stop running the stuff that gave them success. Very impressive performance all around.
(03-28-2021, 10:47 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I'll let Van speak for himself but I'm saying a very talented KC team withered on the big stage against a good, but inferior, opponent in '19.  They lost by a whopping 22 points to a team they should have beaten. If they lose a close, contested game to Ashland will I say they choked? NO.  If they lose by 25 points, will I say the stage was probably too big for them again ? YES.  Talent-wise, Knox matches up favorably with Ashland, who, as Van accurately pointed out, barely escaped in their last two games against teams not nearly as talented as Knox.  

Btw, if Knox beats Ashland a handful of Panther enthusiasts on here will claim that Patterson should be above Coach K and just below John Wooden on the list of all-time greatest coaches.  I still think third in the 13th region is about right for now.

(03-28-2021, 12:00 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: He's done some good things, no doubt about it.  Because I rank him third best in the region means I don't give him proper credit? Third is pretty damned good.  I give him credit for winning region titles with the best talent in the region .  He also lost regionals to teams with inferior talent.  Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I think he's done a very admirable job.  But he's still behind Davis and Pietrowski, imo  . Both of those coaches have worn Patterson out .  These three regional titles have moved him into the top 3, though.

Patterson vs.  Davis   :

(L)   40-77
(L)   47-72
(L)   57-71
(W)   65-62 
(L)    58-67

They played a TERRIFIC game yesterday. What really impressed me was Patterson's philosophy of keeping pedal down and staying with the same aggressive offensive play that got them the big lead. Now, if they had given up that big lead, he would have been criticized .  However,  I  thought it was pretty refreshing. Too often you see teams get passive and stop running the stuff that gave them success. Very impressive performance all around.

Haha you are probably right that people will be comparing him to Coach K if he wins a couple of games at state. To be fair I don't think that he is the best coach in the region yet but I also don't think there is some massive gap between him Pietrowski and Davis. They are all in the same boat for me. And yeah you are right that Knox laid an egg in their game at state a couple of years ago. But I'll say two things. 1) I think Knox is a pretty decent matchup for Ashland but this Ashland team is so talented. I think some people are underestimating how good they are especially considering they were 33-0 last year. it is going to be a tall, tall task for Knox to beat the Tomcats. They have 3-4 players that are all sharpshooters including Cole Villers who has to be one of the top shooters in the entire state. Did Ashland struggle a little bit their last two games? Yeah. But Rowan County is a really tough team with one of the best players in the state in Mason Moore. So, all I am saying is Ashland is the real deal and I would not calling it withering if Knox gets beat by 12-15 points especially since Ashland ran North Laurel out of the gym earlier this season. 2) I just find the withering talk silly because when I first joined this site all the talk about Knox was that they never could win the region. Statements like, "I'll believe it when I see it Knox always chokes" or "No matter how much talent Knox has they always find a way to choke in big games". Its weird because after winning 3 straight regional championships you would think some of that talk would die down a little lol
(03-28-2021, 11:21 AM)Mister D Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 10:47 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

(03-28-2021, 12:16 AM)Mister D Wrote: I think it’s reasonable to say he is in the top 3. It just seems like you have two completely different sets of standards. One for Patterson and another for Davis and Pietrowski. Davis has won one regional championship in 10 years at SL (you could say he’s won a region 10% of the time). Pietrwoski has 4 regional championships in 20 plus years (20%). Patterson has 3 in six years (50%). Seems like simple math 50% vs 20% vs 10%. 

Haha you are probably right that people will be comparing him to Coach K if he wins a couple of games at state. To be fair I don't think that he is the best coach in the region yet but I also don't think there is some massive gap between him Pietrowski and Davis. They are all in the same boat for me. And yeah you are right that Knox laid an egg in their game at state a couple of years ago. But I'll say two things. 1) I think Knox is a pretty decent matchup for Ashland but this Ashland team is so talented. I think some people are underestimating how good they are especially considering they were 33-0 last year. it is going to be a tall, tall task for Knox to beat the Tomcats. They have 3-4 players that are all sharpshooters including Cole Villers who has to be one of the top shooters in the entire state. Did Ashland struggle a little bit their last two games? Yeah. But Rowan County is a really tough team with one of the best players in the state in Mason Moore. So, all I am saying is Ashland is the real deal and I would not calling it withering if Knox gets beat by 12-15 points especially since Ashland ran North Laurel out of the gym earlier this season. 2) I just find the withering talk silly because when I first joined this site all the talk about Knox was that they never could win the region. Statements like, "I'll believe it when I see it Knox always chokes" or "No matter how much talent Knox has they always find a way to choke in big games". Its weird because after winning 3 straight regional championships you would think some of that talk would die down a little lol

Three consecutive region titles is a terrific accomplishment.  It has only been done a handful of times in history.

Harlan won four straight  from  '42-'45

Corbin won six straight from   ''47-'52

South  won three straight  from   '06-'08

Clay  won three straight from '53-'55  and  '57-'59  ;   four straight from '73-'76 ;   seven straight from  '84-'90
(03-27-2021, 09:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I was impressed with how Central stayed aggressive, even with the big lead.  That's something you don't see a lot. Very smart. I think it's time that Patterson be recognized as one  region's top coaches.

Patterson doesn't receive nearly enough credit in my opinion.  He has been able to accomplish what had not been done in 50+ years, 3 consecutive years.  Sure it coincides with a good run of talent, but there has been plenty of talent at KC long before he became coach.
I'm in no way throwing shade at North Laurel. They had an impressive and remarkable season. However, I'm thrilled for Knox Central. They won last year and wasn't able to compete on the state level because of Covid19, so at least this year, they will be competing.

Good luck Panthers. And congratulations!!!
Listen, I’m not throwing off on KC. Three region titles in a row is probably a bigger accomplishment now than it was 30-40 years ago. And they were the better team last night, with the emphasis on ‘’team”. As I’ve said all year, North’s lack of physicality and poor team defense concerned me.

But now make no mistake—the big stage affected Knox two years ago, they got blown out in a game where they were honestly the better team. This year, yes Ashland is the more talented team. But Ashland also was a dumb coaching decision (not fouling while up three with just seconds left) from losing in the region semis to a middle of the road West Carter team. Hopefully KC will compete, and it’s perfectly ok with me if they win. I actually feel like guys like Turner and Chadwell won’t shrink in the spotlight.
You make a couple of valid points.

North's lack of physicality was a definitive factor last night. Also, they played very inconsistently.

As far as the spot light is concerned, I believe Turner has the experience to deal with it. I don't know Chadwell, but he strikes me as the kind of person that just wouldn't give a damn.

;)
Ashland was  denied a chance last year to become the first undefeated state champ since Brewers(Not the Milwaukee ones)  finished  36-0 in  1948.   Since  then,  six teams entered the tourney undefeated but failed to finish perfect. The 2019-20 Tomcats were deprived of  even an opportunity to make history.  Maybe the Toms can make up for last year.

It's hard to say who will be affected by the "big stage" and who won't.  I really felt like South Laurel was affected by the Arena atmosphere this year. That usually doesn't happen with a Coach Davis team. South was simply woeful, seemed dazed and confused all game. Clay really played good D but South just wasn't the same team that went to Louisville and beat Trinity , beat Knox, and beat Corbin three times. My inclination is that this Knox team has the makeup to deal with Rupp Arena but we shall see.