Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Paintsville 48 Johnson Central 46 (15th Region Championship)
The tigers win on a putback at the buzzer in overtime. Congratulations to Landon Slone and Paintsville on winning regions for the first time since 2008.

I didn’t think this at the beginning of the season but with the way the Tigers have improved they are going to be a tough out in the Sweet 16. They have size, play tough defense, and can knock down the 3. Good luck to them! This Johnson Central alum will be pulling hard for them against Boyle County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister D's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
What a game. If Paintsville can hit 3’s and not get in foul trouble and just keep genes close. I like my chances with Colby Fugate
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
JC was up 46-42 with a minute to go in regulation. They turned the ball over trying to split a double a team and missed the front end of a one and one on two consecutive possessions. That changed the whole game and Paintsville scored two straight baskets to send it to overtime.

Paintsville deserved to win this game but JC is going to be kicking themselves for those mistakes. You can’t turn the ball over and miss front ends at the end of games and expect to win.
I thought that fowl and tech ruined them. I also thought that was a double dribble right before.
Anything other than a tight, down to the wire prediction and people were either trolling or being biased. Central, IMO, let one get away being up 4 late.

I’ve watched the charge call on Fugate and it almost turned the outcome of the game. 100% bad call. The defender was always moving, totally flopped, and Fugate’s drive to the goal really wasn’t all that aggressive. For those of you that understand driving to the goal, he shot the ball with two hands and it is near impossible to be out of control and do that. And then they magnified the terrible call with a T. Unless a kid punches you, you shallow your whistle in that setting. Mid season game- light him up, but not with a minute to go in the finals of the Regional, especially after you just made a call that 80% of the time decided the game.

Both sides played hard and either could have won. Central was up 5 at the half and up 4 with a minute left and had the last shot in regulation but Paintsville found a way to get it done.

Congratulations to JC on a great season.
Way to go Tigers. Always love seeing a little Class A school beat what is easily the largest high school in the 15th region...gotta love it.
[-] The following 3 users Like PHSFAN's post:
  • 2000PHS, BlackcatAlum, Blue_Bird96
(03-28-2021, 09:23 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Anything other than a tight, down to the wire prediction and people were either trolling or being biased. Central, IMO, let one get away being up 4 late.

I’ve watched the charge call on Fugate and it almost turned the outcome of the game. 100% bad call. The defender was always moving,  totally flopped, and Fugate’s drive to the goal really wasn’t all that aggressive. For those of you that understand driving to the goal, he shot the ball with two hands and it is near impossible to be out of control and do that. And then they magnified the terrible call with a T. Unless a kid punches you, you shallow your whistle in that setting. Mid season game- light him up, but not with a minute to go in the finals of the Regional, especially after you just made a call that 80% of the time decided the game.

Both sides played hard and either could have won. Central was up 5 at the half and up 4 with a minute left and had the last shot in regulation but Paintsville found a way to get it done.

Yeah. These refs were Charge hungry refs. They’d let you play and then bail a lot of slow rotations out with a charge call. Happen a lot all tourney.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
JC loses 8 seniors off this team so the next couple of years will be a true rebuild for the first time in a long time for Tommy McKenzie. I expect JC to take a step back. A special shot out to two of these seniors in Isaiah May and Cory Vanhoose. Those two kids have been the back bone of this team for the past 4-5 years. They have had two of the best individual careers in JC history and its so impressive that they were able to do this while playing together the entire time. Isaiah May finished his career right at 2,100 points and Cory Vanhoose ended things with over 1,950 points. It can't be overstated how difficult that will be to replace the next couple of years.
(03-27-2021, 10:33 PM)Mister D Wrote: JC was up 46-42 with a minute to go in regulation. They turned the ball over trying to split a double a team and missed the front end of a one and one on two consecutive possessions. That changed the whole game and Paintsville scored two straight baskets to send it to overtime.

Paintsville deserved to win this game but JC is going to be kicking themselves for those mistakes. You can’t turn the ball over and miss front ends at the end of games and expect to win.
Absolutely. Says a lot for this Paintsville team as well to have a charge call like that compounded with the Technical call late in the game and down to pull it out. What a great game between the two top teams in the Region. So many times the best two teams don’t get to play in the finals but this one worked out. 

What I saw this season was JC started the year the way they finished it. Playing Regional Championship level Basketball right out of the gate and that’s credit to Coach McKenzie for having his team playing at that high of a level to start the season! Not really improving or taking a step back but maintaining that high level of play.  As for Paintsville at the start of the season Chemistry was an issue. As the year progressed so did the Tigers. Around the time of the East Ridge game this Paintsville team REALLY turned the Corner! They’ve played lights out since and that’s credit to Coach Slone. He was able to get these boys all on the same page so they could do something special! Great job Tigers!!
Instant classic from both teams out of Johnson County. Hate a team had to lose but that’s the way it works. Good luck in the tournament to pville.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IntheZone's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(03-28-2021, 10:11 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 09:23 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Anything other than a tight, down to the wire prediction and people were either trolling or being biased. Central, IMO, let one get away being up 4 late.

I’ve watched the charge call on Fugate and it almost turned the outcome of the game. 100% bad call. The defender was always moving,  totally flopped, and Fugate’s drive to the goal really wasn’t all that aggressive. For those of you that understand driving to the goal, he shot the ball with two hands and it is near impossible to be out of control and do that. And then they magnified the terrible call with a T. Unless a kid punches you, you shallow your whistle in that setting. Mid season game- light him up, but not with a minute to go in the finals of the Regional, especially after you just made a call that 80% of the time decided the game.

Yeah. These refs were Charge hungry refs. They’d let you play and then bail a lot of slow rotations out with a charge call. Happen a lot all tourney.
JC and Paintsville beat the physical hell out of each other and I’m fine with that, but I have no earthly idea why “charge calls” are what refs emphasize. 

Neither team shot the ball well especially considering all the talent that was on the floor.