Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who takes advantage of a supplemental year?
(04-29-2021, 11:38 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: I've yet to see a kid be against it. Seems the only gripe is from adults.

Of course. Kids are notorious for making stupid decisions.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • A Tribe Called Quest
(04-29-2021, 12:42 PM)jamesclay Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 11:38 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: I've yet to see a kid be against it. Seems the only gripe is from adults.

NCAA already mentioned that a HS student needs to complete all required course in 8 semester (4 yrs) or they will be non qualifier. Student's 4 yr transcript will be turned into NCAA. Hope players and parents they did their homework, it might backfire on them.

Never seen an adult make one either. Good call.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • Bull got out!
I read yesterday where a 12 year old is graduating high school and college in a couple weeks on the same day lol.
(04-29-2021, 01:08 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:

Clearly, that's why this law is a thing.
(04-29-2021, 02:25 PM)jamesclay Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 01:08 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:

Clearly, that's why this law is a thing.

Sleepy
(04-29-2021, 12:08 PM)FCSPY Wrote: Only takes a shortened covid year to become a rebel! Lol

Or QB a State Championship. lol  #Rebel4Life
Just cause you drove the car over the finish line, doesn’t mean your a mechanic... congrats on the ring !
Not scientific by any means, but my informal polling among adults who have school aged kids indicates that those that held back their kids in middle school or before and private school parents appear to be universally opposed while the majority of others are in favor. Spoke to a retired school superintendent who said he never heard a parent say they wished they hadn't held back their child, but numerous that said they wish they had.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KYHog's post:
  • Bull got out!
(04-30-2021, 09:56 AM)KYHog Wrote: Not scientific by any means, but my informal polling among adults who have school aged kids indicates that those that held back their kids in middle school or before and private school parents appear to be universally opposed while the majority of others are in favor. Spoke to a retired school superintendent who said he never heard a parent say they wished they hadn't held back their child, but numerous that said they wish they had.

I believe you are 100% correct. Most have already taken advantage at a earlier age. I know honestly other than the few on these forums that don’t like it, most everyone else is in favor. I got to thinking about how many of our kids that graduate early here in Southeastern Kentucky and now carry a back pack and look like a skeleton. Then you got people a little upset that a kid wants for whatever reason to stay in school and hopefully better themselves. Gee whiz, go cry me a river.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • FCSPY
As a parent, if I had a student in elementary school I would have them repeat the grade regardless of their academic performance because of what was lost in terms of social development.
Beyond that, every child is different and each situation needs to be looked at individually but I do believe that nothing is lost if the child repeats a grade.

As far as high school students who are repeating a grade only to gain an advantage athletically, I think the decision is misguided and defeats the spirit of the rule. I may be wrong, but would not be surprised to see KHSAA clarify the rule and state that athletic eligibility is limited to 8 consecutive semesters.
(04-29-2021, 12:08 PM)FCSPY Wrote: Only takes a shortened covid year to become a rebel! Lol

Or to get beaten by one......
Good one! How are the chargers doing?
We have a son who is in high school, so I've given this a lot of thought.  Trying to be thorough I listed the pros and cons. I could list them all here, but it really comes down to just a few (okay-really just one) that really impacts the decision. Sure, his mom and I discussed if another year would better prepare him  for college.  We talked about being unencumbered by his schedule once he leaves for college. But then the sudden realization that once he leaves I'll have to do the weedeating myself.  I hate string trimmers.  Our yard is veritable hell for me.  Flower beds, walkways, fences, light posts, etc...  The list is endless.  Now the question isn't whether he should repeat a year, but whether he should graduate at all.
[-] The following 2 users Like KYHog's post:
  • Bull got out!, OutlawJoseyWales
(05-03-2021, 01:40 PM)FCSPY Wrote: Good one! How are the chargers doing?

Didn't finish the season the way they wanted. But working hard.
80+ in my county
(05-10-2021, 06:29 PM)TakeOver12 Wrote: 80+ in my county

What county?
This is the first district( Bowling Green Ind.) that I've seen that has voted to deny the do-over-year:

At tonight's @BGISD board meeting, the board unanimously voted to decline participation in the new Supplemental School Year program, the so-called "do-over school year" law. 23 students applied to retake a year of school. None were K-6 students.

Bowling Green Independent voted against allowing. BG multi-sport athlete (and state champ QB) Conner Cooper appeared to be desiring to take advantage of the rule - he had changed his Twitter description to include "22’ Prospect" and he retweeted a negative impression of Bowling Green's decision.
Hearing that Letcher Central has 2 or 3 seniors staying back and almost every freshman,sophomore and junior is staying back next year. The next 4 years was already going to be the most talent the cougars have ever had.
(05-12-2021, 02:44 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: This is the first district( Bowling Green Ind.) that I've seen that has voted to deny the do-over-year:

At tonight's @BGISD board meeting, the board unanimously voted to decline participation in the new Supplemental School Year program, the so-called "do-over school year" law. 23 students applied to retake a year of school. None were K-6 students.

Bowling Green Independent voted against allowing.  BG multi-sport athlete (and state champ QB) Conner Cooper appeared to be desiring to take advantage of the rule - he had changed his Twitter description to include "22’ Prospect" and he retweeted a negative impression of Bowling Green's decision.

I believe Oldham Co schools have deny it as well.
I don’t know why any school board would turn this down when all they are doing is making the ones that want to stay back sit out a year. I could see if they was letting older kids play but there is no change whatsoever in the age requirement and some of these schools are already loaded with hold backs. This rule will help the schools who doesn’t have manny holdbacks catch up. As long as a kid can meet the age requirement there is nothing wrong with them using all of it.
(05-16-2021, 08:48 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: I don’t know why any school board would turn this down when all they are doing is making the ones that want to stay back sit out a year. I could see if they was letting older kids play but there is no change whatsoever in the age requirement and some of these schools are already loaded with hold backs. This rule will help the schools who doesn’t have manny holdbacks catch up. As long as a kid can meet the age requirement there is nothing wrong with them using all of it.

The spirit of the rule was to allow a mulligan for students who struggled academically or socially as a result of virtual learning. The rule was not intended to allow Johnny or Mary an extra semester to participate in an extracurricular. 

Serious question: 

Johnny graduated with a 3.0 GPA but has decided to return to school for a 5th year to compete in FB. 
Whatever grade he earns will not effect his GPA because, as I understand it, whatever grades are earned after 8 semesters are final. 
With that said, under the current rule as passed, can Johnny theoretically show up to practice at 3:00 every day during the week and attend class on Friday and remain eligible ? 

Also, some have commented that as long as age restrictions are upheld - no harm no foul. I disagree. There is a big difference between a 5th yr senior who has been in a S&C program the entire time and a 16 yr old sophomore who has been in the same S&C program for 2 yrs.

This whole "repeat" concept to gain an athletic advantage seems very misguided. Lots of adults dropped the ball on this one. JMO
[-] The following 2 users Like Iggyfan's post:
  • Gitback Coach, jetpilot
(05-17-2021, 09:30 PM)Iggyfan Wrote:
(05-16-2021, 08:48 PM)Running wild 14 Wrote: I don’t know why any school board would turn this down when all they are doing is making the ones that want to stay back sit out a year. I could see if they was letting older kids play but there is no change whatsoever in the age requirement and some of these schools are already loaded with hold backs. This rule will help the schools who doesn’t have manny holdbacks catch up. As long as a kid can meet the age requirement there is nothing wrong with them using all of it.

The spirit of the rule was to allow a mulligan for students who struggled academically or socially as a result of virtual learning. The rule was not intended to allow Johnny or Mary an extra semester to participate in an extracurricular. 

Serious question: 

Johnny graduated with a 3.0 GPA but has decided to return to school for a 5th year to compete in FB. 
Whatever grade he earns will not effect his GPA because, as I understand it, whatever grades are earned after 8 semesters are final. 
With that said, under the current rule as passed, can Johnny theoretically show up to practice at 3:00 every day during the week and attend class on Friday and remain eligible ? 

Also, some have commented that as long as age restrictions are upheld - no harm no foul. I disagree. There is a big difference between a 5th yr senior who has been in a S&C program the entire time and a 16 yr old sophomore who has been in the same S&C program for 2 yrs.

This whole "repeat" concept to gain an athletic advantage seems very misguided. Lots of adults dropped the ball on this one. JMO
If they want to put a stop to this the rule should be changed to 18 by August 1 instead and of 19. I love this rule and wished this rule would be put in permanently. The fact is that several teams has a bunch of 19 year old seniors already  so I don’t see the problem with letting all the kids have to opportunity to go to high school and play sports until they age out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Running wild 14's post:
  • Bull got out!
I talked with a friend today that said Raceland had about 30 some kids 7th grade thru 11th grade use this rule to repeat their current grade level.
I’m not sure how much of that is truth or hear say. But, I would say that job is a little uncomfortable right now with Paintsville winning state.
(05-18-2021, 11:33 AM)Oleballcoach Wrote: I talked with a friend today that said Raceland had about 30 some kids 7th grade thru 11th grade use this rule to repeat their current grade level.
I’m not sure how much of that is truth or hear say. But, I would say that job is a little uncomfortable right now with Paintsville winning state.
A significant part of our football team has hold backs from a few years ago when many of the 6th grade players stayed behind so this really wouldn’t surprise me.  

Also something no one really talks about is gender discrepancy.  Though it may not fully be the case it seems like we mostly hear about male athletes taking advantage of the rule and not much about girls.  When it is all said and done and you look at the final numbers across the state I wouldn’t be surprised to see this rule being skewed more towards boys staying behind at the high school and middle school levels than girls.
Approving SSYP:

Augusta
Bracken County
Fleming County
Lewis County
Mason County
Robertson County

Also, not official but it looks like that Jefferson Co. is going to approve it as well they had over 700 apply.
Follow the $$$$, there is a reason only one state is doing this in the whole country.
I do not understand the benefit of taking 5 yrs to complete HS. Can someone explain? There is nothing gained academically and I would argue that socially something is lost because are your classmates have moved on to the next chapter of their lives.
So what is the appeal? Athletics? Athletics are an extracurricular and not the focal point of HS.
What am I missing?
For 99% of kids high school is the last time they will ever play sports so I totally get why so manny are wanting to take a extra year.I wished the khsaa would either make this a permanent rule or quit letting 19 year olds play. As long as 19 is the rule everyone should get the opportunity to play til there 19. The way it is now you can have kids in the same class that are 2 years apart age wise.
I think this statement from the NCAA about the Kentucky Supplemental Year pretty much says it all. Especially the last sentence the one I made bold. I would personally would be scared to death if had a Div. 1 athlete that they would be ruled ineligible.

An Important Message for Prospective NCAA Student-Athletes from Kentucky

Students and Counselors,

As you may have seen in the news, Kentucky recently enacted a law allowing for Kentucky K-12 students to enroll in a supplemental year of schooling to retake or supplement courses taken during the 2020-21 academic year as a result of the prolonged remote instruction and barriers created by the COVID-19 pandemic. There are some important considerations related to NCAA initial eligibility for high school students evaluating this option. Additional information regarding the potential impact on NCAA certification is provided below.

• For questions about your specific situation, please work directly with your high school counselor, the athletics compliance office at the NCAA school you plan to attend and/or the NCAA customer service center (877-262-1492).

Academic Eligibility

NCAA Division I requirements:

• 16 core-course units, to be completed within four years/eight semesters from the initial start of year 9.

• Core-course 10/7 progression requirement: 10 of the 16 required core-course units (including seven units in English, math or science) must be completed before starting the seventh semester.

• On-time graduates may also complete one additional core unit within a year after graduation and before initial full-time enrollment.

• For students initially enrolling full time in college during the 2021-22 or 2022-23 academic years, additional flexibility has been provided due to COVID-19.

image.thumb.png.3ebd679ed1f4bbe6db528b08ae572f6e.png

The impact of repeating a year is highly variable depending on a student's academic class and record; however, there could be a detrimental effect on a student's ability to meet Division I core-course requirements in some circumstances. Specifically, students in the freshman or sophomore classes during 2020-21 should ensure that they have a plan to meet the Division I requirement of completing 10 core-course units before starting the seventh semester.

• Academic eligibility in NCAA Division II or III should not be impacted.

Amateurism Certification

Generally, NCAA legislation permits students to continue participating in their sport one year after their expected high school graduation date (based on four years/eight semesters after the initial start of year 9) without impacting their NCAA eligibility.

• The only shorter grace period is Division I men's and women's tennis, which permits participation for six months after the expected graduation date.

As a result, if students repeat a year of high school, they should be mindful of the potential impact on their seasons of eligibility. Participating in their sport beyond the grace period could result in losing a season(s) of eligibility. Click here for additional information regarding these rules.

Impact of a Supplemental Year

In short, we strongly advise students and families considering this path to work with their high school counselor, the athletics compliance office at the NCAA school they would like to attend and the NCAA customer service center to ensure they have the best information available as they make decisions regarding their academic future. The following information provides key points student-athletes and their families need to consider when evaluation a supplemental year.

Seniors (expected graduation 2021/actual graduation 2022): Impact of Supplemental Year

image.thumb.png.30ef6cfe845117f6c1dd75aa7d34c9e5.png

Competition in your sport beyond the legislated grace period may impact your NCAA eligibility.