Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 28 Raceland 18
Final.
Really good game. Raceland cuts down on the turnovers may have been a different outcome but congratulations to Russell they played a good game.
Came out flat. Youth at QB showed tonight, but he will learn from it and get better. Russell did what they needed to and got big plays when they had to. Racelands run defense was solid again and intermediate pass defense is good. But we let WRs get behind us last week and got lucky that the ball just wasnt there. Russell saw that and capitalized on it for some big time momentum changing plays. Our run game is night and day from what it was the last several years. We just gotta find some explosive playmakers. Thought itbwqw goina be alot worse than the final, but we settled down and played well in the 2nd and 3rd. Just gotta put 4 quarters together. Seasons still young. Russells #2 (WR) and #59(LB) stood out to me tonight. Max Coburn is a helluva DE/OLB too. Good luck to Russell the rest of the way.
Congratulations to Russell
Disappointing loss tonight. Fix the problem of giving up big plays and we will be really good. Other than the big plays russell did nothing. Raceland controlled both lines of scrimmage. With that being said at the end of the game the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.
I thought both teams look the part of top teir in their respective classes. Russell made some big plays for the advantage in this game but these two teams look like a 50/50 matchup. Enjoyable game to watch.
Congrats to Russell. Great start to the 2021 season.

The Rams have nothing to hang their heads about. After last week's win and tonight's "gritty" performance, this team will be dangerous come playoff time.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.
Raceland had a solid running game they need to stick it more.. Quarterback did some good things, but rushed some passes and telegraphed a few throws. Not sure why they don’t go for it instead of kicking the field goal. But it’s good know when the time comes the kid can make the kick. Russell seems to be a little better than Ashland at the moment of the season, but lots of season left..
Way to go Russell! I picked the Rams.
(08-28-2021, 11:41 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Came out flat. Youth at QB showed tonight, but he will learn from it and get better.  Russell did what they needed to and got big plays when they had to. Racelands run defense was solid again and intermediate pass defense is good. But we let WRs get behind us last week and got lucky that the ball just wasnt there. Russell saw that and capitalized on it for some big time momentum changing plays.  Our run game is night and day from what it was the last several years. We just gotta find some explosive playmakers. Thought itbwqw goina be alot worse than the final, but we settled down and played well in the 2nd and 3rd. Just gotta put 4 quarters together. Seasons still young. Russells #2 (WR) and #59(LB) stood out to me tonight. Max Coburn is a helluva DE/OLB too. Good luck to Russell the rest of the way.

I just wish Russell had Ethan Oborne he would have helped take Russell's run game up a notch.   Russell still has some talent at RB and once they get comfortable there that should help. Rams will make a good run in the playoffs and like always it will be between Raceland/Paintsville and Pikeville probably in the East. Good luck to the Rams the rest of the season. You all have some good pieces.
I was impressed with Jules Farrow. That kid is a good running back. That was a nice catch to get Raceland to around the 10 yard line as well.
(08-29-2021, 12:32 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Disappointing loss tonight. Fix the problem of giving up big plays and we will be really good. Other than the big plays russell did nothing. Raceland controlled both lines of scrimmage. With that being said at the end of the game the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.

Russell did do something other than big plays they got that W. Russell did have a few nice Runs as well.
Just about Everyone was quick to Jump the gun because Raceland beat Ashland, thinking that Raceland would automatically beat Russell just because Ashland won 3A last year. This is a whole new year with new players.
Fwiw, the Ashland win doesnt seem nearly as impressive now that I watched their offense sputtered against Boyd. Ashland lacks an identity. Our youth coming off a big game was evident early on against Russell. We have given up all of our points in two games on big plays, with no big plays of our own to compensate. Imo. That just points to a young team, with a new QB. Its about being better in November than you were in August. I firmly believe we will be right in the thick of things come playoff time.

As for Russell, if they can shore up some things upfront to neutralize teams with a quick DL, they will be making a push themselves come November. Would have really liked to see this game played towards the end of the season, as i feel it is always a good prep for both squads for the playoffs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • GOREDDEVILS
(08-29-2021, 12:32 AM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: Disappointing loss tonight. Fix the problem of giving up big plays and we will be really good. Other than the big plays russell did nothing. Raceland controlled both lines of scrimmage. With that being said at the end of the game the only thing that matters is the scoreboard.
Ram-A Devil you've said the same thing for years after a lose. Never give credit to the other team. It's always that the other team did nothing, that the Rams just gave up big plays, or shot themselves in the foot with penalties, or dropped wide open td passes, or turned it over too many time. Don't you see how ridiculous this sounds. If the other team wasn't good they wouldn't be able to capitalize on all those mistakes. And if the Rams were that good they would be making them. I know the best team dosnt always win, but according to you when the Rams lose the other team is never the better one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mightydog's post:
  • M and G
I was really impressed by the sophomore QB that Russell has. He threw a really nice deep ball that end up with 2-3 catches each over 50 yards. He is obviously just a good ball player and a tough kid because he played defensive line all game too. You don't see too often someone playing both ways as a QB/DL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mister D's post:
  • Patriot1
(08-29-2021, 11:52 AM)mightydog Wrote:
Ram-A Devil you've said the same thing for years after a lose. Never give credit to the other team. It's always that the other team did nothing, that the Rams just gave up big plays, or shot themselves in the foot with penalties, or dropped wide open td passes, or turned it over too many time. Don't you see how ridiculous this sounds. If the other team wasn't good they wouldn't be able to capitalize on all those mistakes. And if the Rams were that good they would be making them. I know the best team dosnt always win, but according to you when the Rams lose the other team is never the better one.
All losses are disappointing if your on the losing end. And you can say If we didn’t get beat we will be really good. Looked like the Devils bent but didn’t break and made plays at crunch time or when it really mattered. I guess with that said...game could have gone to the Rams...but it didn’t.
(08-29-2021, 01:40 PM)Mister D Wrote: I was really impressed by the sophomore QB that Russell has. He threw a really nice deep ball that end up with 2-3 catches each over 50 yards. He is obviously just a good ball player and a tough kid because he played defensive line all game too. You don't see too often someone playing both ways as a QB/DL.

Bradley Rose is a senior I believe. Ethan Pack the backup is a sophomore. Bradley is one of the strongest players on the team and maybe the strongest. Bradley plays Defensive tackle as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • M and G, Mister D
Good win for the Devils. Raceland lost the game early on in this one. Russell has a wide open path to Kroger field this season as Ashland and Belfry are not very good. Can they take advantage? Time will tell.
(08-29-2021, 02:13 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: Just about Everyone was quick to Jump the gun because Raceland beat Ashland, thinking that Raceland would automatically beat Russell just because Ashland won 3A last year. This is a whole new year with new players.

I didn't think it was automatic. I figured it could go either way. Russell has improved.
(08-29-2021, 08:59 PM)pjdoug Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 02:13 AM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote: Just about Everyone was quick to Jump the gun because Raceland beat Ashland, thinking that Raceland would automatically beat Russell just because Ashland won 3A last year. This is a whole new year with new players.

I didn't think it was automatic. I figured it could go either way. Russell has improved.

It looked like in the pickem Majority took Raceland. Russell was pretty dang good last year just didn’t get fully healthy until late in playoffs. If you remember right Russell lost by 3 points to Ashland who won 3A last year.
(08-29-2021, 09:07 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 08:59 PM)pjdoug Wrote:

It looked like in the pickem Majority took Raceland. Russell was pretty dang good last year just didn’t get fully healthy until late in playoffs. If you remember right Russell lost by 3 points to Ashland who won 3A last year.

I picked Boyle to beat LCA, but thought LCA might win. This  game was the same way.  Sometimes I gamble to try to gain a point in pick 'em when I know it might go the other way Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-29-2021, 01:45 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(08-29-2021, 01:40 PM)Mister D Wrote: I was really impressed by the sophomore QB that Russell has. He threw a really nice deep ball that end up with 2-3 catches each over 50 yards. He is obviously just a good ball player and a tough kid because he played defensive line all game too. You don't see too often someone playing both ways as a QB/DL.

Bradley Rose is a senior I believe. Ethan Pack the backup is a sophomore. Bradley is one of the strongest players on the team and maybe the strongest. Bradley plays Defensive tackle as well.

You are correct for some reason I was thinking he was number 3 when I looked at Russell’s roster after the game but he was actually number 8. Really nice player for Russell that they need to stay healthy.
I watched part on this one on the live link. Was impressed with both teams. I could see the Rams being Pikeville's biggest challenger in 1a and I'd put Russell in the Top 4 or 5 in there class.. 2 solid ball clubs.
Both of these teams are pretty solid defensively. Russell needs to shore up their run defense though if they are going to make a run to Kroger Field. Raceland needs to find away to quit giving up the big passing plays. In 3 weeks these 2 offenses will look completely different im sure and the defenses just get better and better. With the way 1A and 3A is this year, this could be the year that both find themselves in Lexington.