Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
$$$ Benefits $$$ for College Athletes- Where Do You Stand?
The SCOTUS is considering whether to affirm a lower court decision to provide student-athletes education-related benefits.   John Calipari received about  $ 900K per win this season. Football and basketball makes many of the big universities a lot of money.  Do you feel the inequity and injustice shown college athletes mandates some monetary compensation or do you feel that a free education is enough compensation?   Do you think the NCAA's limits on compensation to student-athletes may violate antitrust law and therefore should be remedied?

The Supreme Court's ruling is likely to have huge consequences for college sports going forward.

What are your thoughts?
There are several angles.

College degree cost is inflated overvaluing what colleges are providing. Even at the advertised value it’s not worth what some athlete’s are worth to that university: Justin Fields comes to mind who traded a few hundred thousand for the millions he made the university.

On the flip side it’s a decent deal for the 2nd left tackle at EKU who gets a free ride as opposed to going into debt for his education.

IMO the NCAA is toast soon. Major programs will have to pay some bucks to their players. They have themselves to blame.
(04-02-2021, 08:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: The SCOTUS is considering whether to affirm a lower court decision to provide student-athletes education-related benefits.   John Calipari received about  $ 900K per win this season. Football and basketball makes many of the big universities a lot of money.  Do you feel the inequity and injustice shown college athletes mandates some monetary compensation or do you feel that a free education is enough compensation?   Do you think the NCAA's limits on compensation to student-athletes may violate antitrust law and therefore should be remedied?

The Supreme Court's ruling is likely to have huge consequences for college sports going forward.

What are your thoughts?
It never ends. I am the person discriminated against for having to pay tuition because I couldn't dribble a basketball very well and was too small and slow. 

Having said that, the NCAA is a criminal enterprise and I hope it goes away. And now that sports has been hijacked for political purposes I have 90% phased it out. Working on the other 10% but not one dime from me ever again.
BTW I think the Supremes won't touch this like usual. Another totally useless bunch.
(04-02-2021, 11:35 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(04-02-2021, 08:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: The SCOTUS is considering whether to affirm a lower court decision to provide student-athletes education-related benefits.   John Calipari received about  $ 900K per win this season. Football and basketball makes many of the big universities a lot of money.  Do you feel the inequity and injustice shown college athletes mandates some monetary compensation or do you feel that a free education is enough compensation?   Do you think the NCAA's limits on compensation to student-athletes may violate antitrust law and therefore should be remedied?

What are your thoughts?
It never ends. I am the person discriminated against for having to pay tuition because I couldn't dribble a basketball very well and was too small and slow. 

Having said that, the NCAA is a criminal enterprise and I hope it goes away. And now that sports has been hijacked for political purposes I have 90% phased it out. Working on the other 10% but not one dime from me ever again.

You are confusing the NCAA with the Roman Catholic church.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Cardfan1
^^^Sick
(04-02-2021, 11:44 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Sick

This is totally off the topic, but why do you think Hound said that?
^^^because he is consumed by ignorance and hate.
(04-04-2021, 09:04 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^because he is consumed by ignorance and hate.

not hardly.

JP, there is a very recent criminal scandal without cracking your History book.