Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Isaac Dixon Will Return For Belfry For Class of 2022
(05-03-2021, 11:03 AM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 03:16 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 02:18 PM)FCSPY Wrote: what is the reason this kid didn't get any scholarship offers?  No 1aa or div 2 offers? I know him to be a great player but what is the hang up
I cant speak for Dixon's situation as I do not know.

What I can relay is something I witnessed first hand here in GA between a Mid-Major D-1 program and the Head Coach of a State Championship winning High School program.

The scout was there watching a specific DLinemen and this team had a Jack of All Trades kid who was a High School stud. That night he went off.. had a return TD, a rushing TD, a receiving TD, and made some big plays on defense as well from his DB position.

The Head Coach goes to the scout and said jokingly, "I am not telling you how to do your job, but I don't see how you can't offer this kid after what you witnessed tonight."

The Scout shook his head, admitted the kid was a great player and that he carried the team to victory, then said, " Here's my thing Coach...  He is a great player and this is no slight to him, but he is a 5'11 195 white boy who runs a hand timed 4.5 40 playing against good but not great competition. This is no slight whatsoever to the kid, but there are probably 1000 kids across this country who may or may not be just as good as him. I have to recruit off what he will do as a Senior at my college and not what he is doing as a Senior in High School. We simply cannot take a risk on whether he is that rare kid in those 1000 and I only have so many scholarships to work with. I simply can't take that chance unless I KNOW he is different"

I will never forget that conversation. For the record, this was about 6 years ago.. that kid ended up going to a D-2 school and is now starting his coaching career.

Dixon is a tremendous HS player and may be that exception, but he has an uphill battle because of his measurables.
Here is my take.... If you're were not a DI (FBS or FCS) in your 4 stellar years in HS state champ, all district, all state etc etc), you're most likely not after doing the super senior year.  
I think it is a pretty solid take.

I truly hope Dixon (or any athlete in a similar position) can use this to his benefit and am pulling for it to happen.. the good news is... it's not like there is a ton of risk when it was a PWO he is moving on from. Odds are he can probably get a PWO again whether to WVU or somewhere else. If he were turning down a scholarship for something better then that is a much different story.

I know if this were my son I would ultimately give him the decision to make what decision he felt was best, with all that said.... if he asked for my input I would say it probably is better to go ahead and go on to college and start your higher education now instead of waiting because the odds are it is your degree that will be paying your bills one day and not your football career. Repeating a Senior year of High School, IMHO, does not best equip someone to step into a college environment.
Two more points and then I'm done with this rule. Like anything government produces it is deeply flawed at best. First point is if Dixon's goal is to become a better football player, the resources at WVU will be a million times more beneficial than running up and down the field against Floyd Central. Not to mention academically being light years ahead of high school after a year on campus. And second I hope this isn't the case but seriously, will most of the seniors coming back for football be in a high school classroom the Monday morning following their last football game or will their lockers be empty? Will a lot not even do any school work at all, all year? I hope I'm wrong. It is what it is.

Having said all that I will be more glad to see football start back this fall than probably any year of my life.
(05-03-2021, 04:13 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Two more points and then I'm done with this rule. Like anything government produces it is deeply flawed at best. First point is if Dixon's goal is to become a better football player, the resources at WVU will be a million times more beneficial than running up and down the field against Floyd Central. Not to mention academically being light years ahead of high school after a year on campus. And second I hope this isn't the case but seriously, will most of the seniors coming back for football be in a high school classroom the Monday morning following their last football game or will their lockers be empty? Will a lot not even do any school work at all, all year? I hope I'm wrong. It is what it is.

Having said all that I will be more glad to see football start back this fall than probably any year of my life.
I may be wrong but the way I understand the rule is that if a kid chooses to come back and repeat a grade then that year will count toward their academic status. It's basically like this covid school year did not exist. So they would not have the option to quit after the season because the couldn't graduate. Plus that wouldn't be smart to do if college is your goal.
(05-03-2021, 05:23 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 04:13 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Two more points and then I'm done with this rule. Like anything government produces it is deeply flawed at best. First point is if Dixon's goal is to become a better football player, the resources at WVU will be a million times more beneficial than running up and down the field against Floyd Central. Not to mention academically being light years ahead of high school after a year on campus. And second I hope this isn't the case but seriously, will most of the seniors coming back for football be in a high school classroom the Monday morning following their last football game or will their lockers be empty? Will a lot not even do any school work at all, all year? I hope I'm wrong. It is what it is.

I may be wrong but the way I understand the rule is that if a kid chooses to come back and repeat a grade then that year will count toward their academic status. It's basically like this covid school year did not exist. So they would not have the option to quit after the season because the couldn't graduate. Plus that wouldn't be smart to do if college is your goal.
All seniors this school year are getting their diplomas right? So they can go straight to college right? Nobody is telling seniors this year they can't enroll in college. The biggest Belfry boosters on here not addressing my post tells you all you you need to know.
(05-03-2021, 11:38 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

All seniors this school year are getting their diplomas right? So they can go straight to college right? Nobody is telling seniors this year they can't enroll in college. The biggest Belfry boosters on here not addressing my post tells you all you need to know.

All seniors this school year are getting their diplomas right? So they can go straight to college right? Nobody is telling seniors this year they can't enroll in college. The biggest Belfry boosters on here not addressing my post tells you all you you need to know.
No....my understanding is that if a senior is reclassifying...they are not going thru a graduation ceremony or the such.   They will do that NEXT year.   Cam Hergott (Mr. Kentucky Football) WALKED AWAY from a full ride to Akron to come back next season. (is that a bad decision?).    Dixon had a preferred walk on offer at WVU.   To each his own.  Some decide to move on.  Some aren't eligible to repeat.  Some are.   The young man wants to play another year.....and the state of Kentucky is giving him the opportunity to do so. He's eligible to do it.   Other than it benefitting BELFRY in the sense these kids impacted are coming back.....what's the big deal ??  There are several kids all over the region...and the state, taking advantage of the rule.   Non-athletes as well.    Neither you nor I know the inner workings that went into his decision.   Socialization?  Maturity?  Who knows.    All I know is this......he's a great kid, who has always been a great teammate.   I wish him...and the few others at Belfry who are reclassifying the best of luck.
Cam Hergott was a PWO at Akron, he was not on a full ride
(05-04-2021, 01:16 PM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: Cam Hergott was a PWO at Akron, he was not on a full ride
 Didn't realize he hadn't received a fully scholly offer.
(05-04-2021, 01:10 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

No....my understanding is that if a senior is reclassifying...they are not going thru a graduation ceremony or the such.   They will do that NEXT year.   Cam Hergott (Mr. Kentucky Football) WALKED AWAY from a full ride to Akron to come back next season. (is that a bad decision?).    Dixon had a preferred walk on offer at WVU.   To each his own.  Some decide to move on.  Some aren't eligible to repeat.  Some are.   The young man wants to play another year.....and the state of Kentucky is giving him the opportunity to do so. He's eligible to do it.   Other than it benefitting BELFRY in the sense these kids impacted are coming back.....what's the big deal ??  There are several kids all over the region...and the state, taking advantage of the rule.   Non-athletes as well.    Neither you nor I know the inner workings that went into his decision.   Socialization?  Maturity?  Who knows.    All I know is this......he's a great kid, who has always been a great teammate.   I wish him...and the few others at Belfry who are reclassifying the best of luck.
I wish them the best of luck also. As long as they have to attend school all year I  am 100% fine with it.

Yes they can go thru graduation ceremonies and still come back. Not sure if that is up to the school districts or what, but the few schools that I know of you can still go thru graduation ceremonies.
With the way our politicians and supposed leaders have screwed things up the last couple years, what kid wouldn’t want a normal senior year of high school, it’s supposed to be special. I was a plum heathen my senior year, missed probably a quarter of the year, and my parents still hear from time to time new details of the escapades I was involved in, but it was a year I’ll never forget.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!
(05-04-2021, 03:55 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:

Yes they can go thru graduation ceremonies and still come back. Not sure if that is up to the school districts or what, but the few schools that I know of you can still go thru graduation ceremonies.
Must be a district by district decision. The districts I have contacts with here in Central KY.....the kids are not going thru graduation ceremonies.   Interesting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
(05-04-2021, 06:02 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 05:23 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I may be wrong but the way I understand the rule is that if a kid chooses to come back and repeat a grade then that year will count toward their academic status. It's basically like this covid school year did not exist. So they would not have the option to quit after the season because the couldn't graduate. Plus that wouldn't be smart to do if college is your goal.
Must be a district by district decision. The districts I have contacts with here in Central KY.....the kids are not going thru graduation ceremonies.   Interesting.

That’s terrible, what about prom, or they get to have prom, smooch all over one another and drink outta the same bottles but can’t walk a graduation line, bunch of damn fun suckerz....
Have a full academic year with required attendance and have to make the grades and all to get diploma and there won't be any complaints from anyone.
Anderson transfer from PIKE central will be belfry's fullback.
^^^ "YAHTZEE!!!" LOL
(05-04-2021, 06:02 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(05-03-2021, 05:23 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I may be wrong but the way I understand the rule is that if a kid chooses to come back and repeat a grade then that year will count toward their academic status. It's basically like this covid school year did not exist. So they would not have the option to quit after the season because the couldn't graduate. Plus that wouldn't be smart to do if college is your goal.
All the schools and Coaches I have talked with are in CKY-lol, some of the reasons why most had already ordered there graduation/senior stuff, before the extra year ruling even came out so to each is own I guess.
(05-05-2021, 12:10 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^ "YAHTZEE!!!" LOL
Pot meet kettle. lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes irishcard16's post:
  • throw deep
(05-05-2021, 04:54 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
Pot meet kettle. lol
But Pikeville is a top 5 academic school so really more like apples meet oranges. lol
(05-05-2021, 09:58 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
Pot meet kettle. lol
But Pikeville is a top 5 academic school so really more like apples meet oranges. lol
No doubt Pikeville is a good academic school.  What does that have to do with his comment?   You made a joke....and Irishcard responded in kind.
(05-05-2021, 10:27 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
Pot meet kettle. lol
No doubt Pikeville is a good academic school.  What does that have to do with his comment?   You made a joke....and Irishcard responded in kind. 
I pointed out it isn't pot/kettle
(05-05-2021, 11:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 10:27 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
Pot meet kettle. lol
I pointed out it isn't pot/kettle
In reference to your “transfer” innuendos yes it is 1000000% pot/kettle I was not talking about academics and neither were you.
(05-03-2021, 11:03 AM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 03:16 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 02:18 PM)FCSPY Wrote: what is the reason this kid didn't get any scholarship offers?  No 1aa or div 2 offers? I know him to be a great player but what is the hang up
I cant speak for Dixon's situation as I do not know.

What I can relay is something I witnessed first hand here in GA between a Mid-Major D-1 program and the Head Coach of a State Championship winning High School program.

The scout was there watching a specific DLinemen and this team had a Jack of All Trades kid who was a High School stud. That night he went off.. had a return TD, a rushing TD, a receiving TD, and made some big plays on defense as well from his DB position.

The Head Coach goes to the scout and said jokingly, "I am not telling you how to do your job, but I don't see how you can't offer this kid after what you witnessed tonight."

The Scout shook his head, admitted the kid was a great player and that he carried the team to victory, then said, " Here's my thing Coach...  He is a great player and this is no slight to him, but he is a 5'11 195 white boy who runs a hand timed 4.5 40 playing against good but not great competition. This is no slight whatsoever to the kid, but there are probably 1000 kids across this country who may or may not be just as good as him. I have to recruit off what he will do as a Senior at my college and not what he is doing as a Senior in High School. We simply cannot take a risk on whether he is that rare kid in those 1000 and I only have so many scholarships to work with. I simply can't take that chance unless I KNOW he is different"

I will never forget that conversation. For the record, this was about 6 years ago.. that kid ended up going to a D-2 school and is now starting his coaching career.

Dixon is a tremendous HS player and may be that exception, but he has an uphill battle because of his measurables.
Here is my take.... If you're were not a DI (FBS or FCS) in your 4 stellar years in HS state champ, all district, all state etc etc), you're most likely not after doing the super senior year.  

I can agree with you but what if it’s more than just about football what if the kid genuinely wants to have a somewhat normal senior year? Let’s not forget we’re moving into year 2 of all the COVID restrictions. What if he actually wants to go to school all year, be with his friends, and enjoy being a kid for just one more year? If a PWO was there for him this year I don’t think it’ll disappear simply because he goes back to school and the way I’ve always understood with a PWO is that coaches expect to put you on scholarship eventually, this could potentially shorten the amount of time he has to wait for it. Football could be the bonus to all this especially if he could potentially win another ring, wish the young man nothing but the best of luck.
^^^Yes I was talking about academics. Since you are still dodging the point I will spell it out:
Main reason people send their kids to Pikeville: academics. Main reason people send their kids to Belfry: football.

1 zillion percent not pot/kettle, apples vs. oranges, You can pretend it isn't but it is.

My time in this thread is done.

"YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol
(05-06-2021, 01:46 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Yes I was talking about academics. Since you are still dodging the point I will spell it out:
Main reason people send their kids to Pikeville: academics. Main reason people send their kids to Belfry: football.

1 zillion percent not pot/kettle, apples vs. oranges, You can pretend it isn't but it is.

My time in this thread is done.

"YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!!!" lol
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We all know your still in here trolling. We also know that they transfer to Pikeville for football as well. I have worked in Pikeville for 20years and know a lot of people there. You ain’t fooling anyone.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Belfry fan 75's post:
  • OutlawJoseyWales
I'm not trolling. You guys are the ones who aren't fooling anyone. It's ok guys, really, everybody knows the deal. But seriously the backfield of

Dixon (WV)
Clark (WV) and
Anderson (Pike Central) will be excellent. I just hope they get the Belfry boys a few carries against Magoffin Co and Floyd Central.

"TRIPLE YAHTZEE!" lol
(05-06-2021, 03:13 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I'm not trolling. You guys are the ones who aren't fooling anyone. It's ok guys, really, everybody knows the deal. But seriously the backfield of

Dixon (WV)
Clark (WV) and
Anderson (Pike Central)  will be excellent. I just hope they get the Belfry boys a few carries against Magoffin Co and Floyd Central.

"TRIPLE YAHTZEE!" lol

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I don’t know what everyone is getting all in their feelings about, if I lived in the area and had kids that played football it’d be a toss up between the two schools. Both pull football talent period and I commend both for putting forth the effort to maintain programs that are consistently competing for state championships. I’d like to know one school in the state that has won a title and never had a kid out of district or that moved into the district just to be part of a quality program and compete at a high level. Championship programs have like minded people who want to win that lesser programs either can’t understand or are unwilling to do what it takes to get there. Good luck to both and I enjoy the rivalry even if I don’t understand how it came to be.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!
(05-06-2021, 08:24 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I don’t know what everyone is getting all in their feelings about, if I lived in the area and had kids that played football it’d be a toss up between the two schools.  Both pull football talent period and I commend both for putting forth the effort to maintain programs that are consistently competing for state championships.  I’d like to know one school in the state that has won a title and never had a kid out of district or that moved into the district just to be part of a quality program and compete at a high level.  Championship programs have like minded people who want to win that lesser programs either can’t understand or are unwilling to do what it takes to get there.  Good luck to both and I enjoy the rivalry even if I don’t understand how it came to be.

Good post.

The good football programs will always attract good youth football players from out of district.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • TD Hounds