• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region Top Teams 2021-2022
(08-11-2021, 03:33 PM)Bruiser Wrote: 1. Breathitt
2. Perry Central
3. Knott Central
4. Cordia
5. Hazard

Wolf definitely in top 3 I think.
I just heard powell had picked up a new player that may make them competition for Estill.
Lee can also compete if they can come up with a couple of good role players. May shape up to be an interesting season. I still favor the Engineers at this point in the 56th.

I just heard powell had picked up a new player that may make them competition for Estill.
Lee can also compete if they can come up with a couple of good role players. May shape up to be an interesting season. I still favor the Engineers at this point in the 56th.
(07-28-2021, 09:10 AM)Huck Fin Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 04:51 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(06-21-2021, 01:30 AM)Thelegendhimself Wrote: Perry central beat a team that beat Breathitt by 26 points in that tournament in Ashland. They also won the whole thing. They’re starting to look dangerous.
Perry didn’t win the whole thing at Ashland’s Kentucky/West Virginia summer games unless there was more than one tournament. I watched a few of the games that were streamed.  Ashland Blazer went undefeated with two starters out with injuries.
There were probably 20 or more schools in the event, so maybe it was set up for different tournaments. I watched Perry in one game they had and they won a close one.

Pcc won the Gold bracket in this tournament! The close game they won in this one was against a very athletic team from central Florida that had beaten Breathitt the day before by 26!I understand Breathitt was missing a starter and some bench players!

(08-13-2021, 09:43 PM)Turf Muncher Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 10:44 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 01:44 AM)Turf Muncher Wrote: My opinion Lee County will have something to say. They came a long way last year and I think they lost 1 player not sure. But watterson is the top of his class. Thinking it might be a toss up between Powell and Estill but don’t count out the bobcats from beatyville.
Are you talking about Lee’s district or the region??? I don’t see any team in the 56th district with even the remotest shot at winning the 14th region.
I’m talking about the district. Absolutely no chance in them winning district. Sorry should have clarified that.

(08-13-2021, 09:43 PM)Turf Muncher Wrote:
(08-13-2021, 10:44 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(08-06-2021, 01:44 AM)Turf Muncher Wrote: My opinion Lee County will have something to say. They came a long way last year and I think they lost 1 player not sure. But watterson is the top of his class. Thinking it might be a toss up between Powell and Estill but don’t count out the bobcats from beatyville.
Are you talking about Lee’s district or the region??? I don’t see any team in the 56th district with even the remotest shot at winning the 14th region.
I’m talking about the district. Absolutely no chance in them winning district. Sorry should have clarified that.
Meant no chance in region sorry. Fat finger typo.
Estill issue is, who's gonna do bulk of the scoring now since Napier left?
1. Breathitt: I don't think they lost anyone, with most taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility. Loaded with talent, can score at any position. They have talent on the bench that can come in and help. Collins looks like a different player with talent around him. They are playing good ball right now, just wonder if they can all stay happy sharing the ball and sharing the spotlight..
2. Perry: Had some good players take advantage of the extra year. Won some big games over the summer. Got size and strength down low and a good point. Not sure how the bench is, but Perry will be a much improved team from last year.
3. Wolfe: Here is another team that didn't lose a whole lot due to extra year. Return 4 starters from last years team. Can they keep it together and be consistent is the question. All the talent in the world don't mean anything if you can't get it to work together and be consistent. Ritchie is one to keep your eye on.
4. Knott: I believe they had one senior take advantage of the extra year. Shepherd, the hustler and grit player. Other than that, they lost 3 key players and a lot of size. I am hearing they picked up a couple new faces, a little size and some speed. No big name players, but players that will be able to help. They have at talented Junior group that should produce this year and keep Knott in the running as they defend their 14th region title.
5. Hazard: Like Knott, lost key players and will be rebuilding this year, unless they can get some transfers, I don't really see Hazard breaking into the top 3, but it is Hazard, so anything can happen.
(08-25-2021, 11:25 AM)roundballer Wrote: 1. Breathitt: I don't think they lost anyone, with most taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility.  Loaded with talent, can score at any position. They have talent on the bench that can come in and help. Collins looks like a different player with talent around him. They are playing good ball right now, just wonder if they can all stay happy sharing the ball and sharing the spotlight..
2. Perry: Had some good players take advantage of the extra year. Won some big games over the summer. Got size and strength down low and a good point. Not sure how the bench is, but Perry will be a much improved team from last year.
3. Wolfe: Here is another team that didn't lose a whole lot due to extra year. Return 4 starters from last years team. Can they keep it together and be consistent is the question. All the talent in the world don't mean anything if you can't get it to work together and be consistent. Ritchie is one to keep your eye on.
4. Knott: I believe they had one senior take advantage of the extra year. Shepherd, the hustler and grit player. Other than that, they lost 3 key players and a lot of size. I am hearing they picked up a couple new faces, a little size and some speed. No big name players, but players that will be able to help. They have at talented Junior group that should produce this year and keep Knott in the running as they defend their 14th region title.
5. Hazard: Like Knott, lost key players and will be rebuilding this year, unless they can get some transfers, I don't really see Hazard breaking into the top 3, but it is Hazard, so anything can happen.
Wolf losing Jaz Johnson is more than enough for any team. They do have expierence coming back I agree. But Johnson was 80% of their offense. That’s losing a lot in my opinion.
Who does Wolfe have coming back?
My top 10
1. Breathitt
2. Perry co
3. Wolfe co
4. Cordia
5. Knott
6. Letcher
7. Lesile
8. Powell
9. Hazard
10. Buckhorn
Breathitt, Perry co, Wolfe co will be your regional contenders. Cordia and knott can be regional contenders with a good draw don’t be surprised to see cordia or knott playing in a regional championship. 5-10 doesn’t
Wolfe just added Levi Mayabb who came back from Morgan.
Cordia had eight players on its roster last year and graduated four. Who do they have besides Welch, Brooks and Robinson?
Who’s the top returning players on each team?
Sperry - Breathitt
Tolson - Wolfe
Perry - Beverly
Hazard - Hassel
(08-25-2021, 11:25 AM)roundballer Wrote: 1. Breathitt: I don't think they lost anyone, with most taking advantage of the extra year of eligibility.  Loaded with talent, can score at any position. They have talent on the bench that can come in and help. Collins looks like a different player with talent around him. They are playing good ball right now, just wonder if they can all stay happy sharing the ball and sharing the spotlight..
I think this is a good analysis of the region. Breathitt did graduate Christy but picked up Collins. I look for Braxton O'hara to play. He had transferred to Clark Co. for half a year before coming back last year.He was the leading rebounder year before last.  He's repeating his senior year, Collins is repeating his jr year and Sperry his freshman year.
Breathitt will be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to chemistry. It will come down to leadership and how some players allow themselves to be coached.
(09-12-2021, 08:57 AM)BelieveInTheHorn Wrote: Breathitt will be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to chemistry.  It will come down to leadership and how some players allow themselves to be coached.
First six players on Breathitt's team played middle school ball together at Jackson city. Including Sperry who played up as a sixth grader. So there is already a camaraderie. As for being coached, if you know John Noble, which I assume you do, you either listen to him and do what he says or you sit on the bench. Doesn't matter who you are or how good you are, you cop an attitude you sit down.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slim one's post:
  • Turf Muncher
We'll see.
Wont be enough balls for this team. Coach better invest in some nerve meds. Gonna be a good year win wise but will take a true psychologist/coach to deal with the parents. Lots of talent, lots of egos. If John can get them to gel like some of his old Buckhorn teams, they will make some noise at state. Kids gotta know their roles.
If Wolfe Co.aint in top 5 in region Somebody in 14th region will be state champions
State Champs Bound. PCC or Breathitt.
(09-18-2021, 08:34 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: State Champs Bound. PCC or Breathitt.

Breathitt's ceiling could be winning a game or multiple games at Rupp, but it would take an amazing job by everyone involved to pull that off, as well as some luck.
(08-03-2021, 04:28 PM)Huck Fin Wrote:
(05-24-2021, 09:39 AM)Bruiser Wrote: My Top 5
1. KCC
2. Breathitt
3. PCC
4. Hazard
5. Cordia

KCC is #1 until somebody takes that spot from them 5 regional titles in 10 years
Breathitt has the most talent
PCC has the best situation and ability to improve the move in the offseason
Hazard talent might be a little down losing pelfrey but Big al is best coach in region
Cordia has good young talent and who knows what might transfer .

We are ranking this coming year's teams, not teams from 2011.
If they 5 teams better than Wolfe co.in 14th region they win state.
1/2 Breathitt/PCC
3 Wolfe
4 Cordia(depending on recruiting class)maybe higher
5 Knott/Hazard
Cordia a top contender in region? Who they get in that puts them up there besides returners? Big Grin
(10-27-2021, 02:02 PM)ballaboveall Wrote: Cordia a top contender in region? Who they get in that puts them up there besides returners? Big Grin
Go look at their updated roster, and you’ll see. They have added 8-9 out of state kids, and the rumor is that they are all pretty good.  But guess time will tell
Maybe this year it will be different but I'd wait until the season started to see how well they come together and if they stay at Cordia.
Looks like nine new players for Cordia and four back from last year. So, all 13 players on the roster are from out of state?
How does Cordia get away with recruiting these kids still?
(10-27-2021, 03:37 PM)Show-stopper Wrote:
(10-27-2021, 02:02 PM)ballaboveall Wrote: Cordia a top contender in region? Who they get in that puts them up there besides returners? Big Grin
Go look at their updated roster, and you’ll see. They have added 8-9 out of state kids, and the rumor is that they are all pretty good.  But guess time will tell
True, crazy how they get whole new team year in and year out.
Wonder if they are all ruled eligible?
I still think Breathitt walks the race everyone is running. So talented.
Does anyone know if Breathitt will get O’Hare back for basketball from the knee injury that he had in football at the start of the season? He didn’t play on the team last year but the year before when he did he played well. Can jump out of the gym. Good athlete. He would make them even better if he can get healthy enough to come back this season.
(11-08-2021, 09:44 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Does anyone know if Breathitt will get O’Hare back for basketball  from the knee injury that he had in football at the start of the season? He didn’t play on the team last year but the year before when he did he played well. Can jump out of the gym. Good athlete. He would make them even better if he can get healthy enough to come back this season.
no inside info but that surgery takes 9-12 months to get over usually. Great athlete and he was hoping to get a scholarship to maybe a small school in football. Would have helped Breathitt in football and basketball but most of all tough break for him. Seems like a good young man.