Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless internet
My mom has wireless internet. can i but a wirless internet hookup just like hers and use the reciever to get internet?
Are you all in the same house?
Yeah im about 10 feet from her room were the wireless modem thing is.
All you need to do is find out the wireless protocol your moms wireless rounter is using. Most likey its 802.11b or 802.11g.. Then pruchase a wireless network card with the same protocol. When you install the card you will then need to get the "WEP" Wireless Encrption Protocol" from your mom and set your card to the same WEP that your moms network card is set too..
thats some confusing stuff
It's really not TOO hard. Basically, you just need to find out what kind of router they have. It's 802.11 something. Just find out that letter. You would probably be safe buying an 802.11g card/adapter since it should be backwards compatible.

After that, install it, and use the same settings your mom used when she set hers up. Once you install it, you should see a message telling you it has found a wireless network. Click on that to bring up the settings. If you have to, enter the information. You may not even have to do anything if there's no encryption involved.

I'm telling you this off the top of my head, so I may not be 100% accurate, but I know I'm close. But yes, you can, being only about 10 feet away, use her wireless router.
Will it take down singnal strengh???