Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Powell County Names Rob Merion head coach
Didn't know Ken Jones stepped down. Rob Merion has been tabbed as the new head coach of the Lady Pirates.
Jones granddaughter graduated, figured he would step down. been saying it for years.
I think Jones was forced out but either way this job didn’t generate much interest for some reason.
(06-30-2021, 10:12 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: I think Jones was forced out but either way this job didn’t generate much interest for some reason.
It should generate tons of interest. 700 high school enrollment with half that number being girls. Seems like a dandy place to coach a girls or boys team. Certainly have the numbers to build a program from.
Do they have much coming back?
Howell is the only one that graduated. All the rest are back.
They have the Caudill kid coming back. Probably one of the best young players in the region
(07-16-2021, 11:03 PM)justthefacts Wrote: Howell is the only one that graduated. All the rest are back.
Howell is a huge loss, though. She will be difficult to replace. 
Saying she is the only one that graduated  is like saying New England ought to be good because all they lost was Tom Brady.
No question she will be missed but under new coach with new system they will be a sleeper in the 14 region. They will speed the game up which lets players go make plays. If you think Howell was all that had then you didn’t watch many of their games
(10-09-2021, 11:04 AM)Hi WWW Wrote: No question she will be missed but under new coach with new system they will be a sleeper in the 14 region. They will speed the game up which lets players go make plays. If you think Howell was all that had then you didn’t watch many of their games
Howell and Caudill were their main weapons last year. I don’t recall too much from any of the others but they may step it up this year. Caudill is very tough, that’s for sure. I like her quickness and ability to drive to the basket. But she will need some help. 
Is the new coach in his first year of varsity coaching or has he coached at that level before?
Not at this level but he has coached these girls since middle school. They all love him! And his style of game lets them play. They will have several senior starters and with the Caudill kid they will be a threat