Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
SAX , Drugs & Rock 'n' Roll
I love some good Sax !    What are some of your favorite songs in the history of rock that features some of the best sax playing. I'm looking for songs where the sax is what many people think of when they hear the song in their head.   

If not sax, are there songs you can think of that features another instrument that carries the song to new heights with an instrumental solo that stands out

Here's one I love. The only thing better than the smooth as silk vocals of Gerry Rafferty is the stunning sax solo .  Here's the sax on a 9+ minute loop.

**WARNING**   LOTS OF EXPLICIT SAXUAL CONTENT!!!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
I bet none of us can forget the great sax riff that begins this terrific tune and shines throughout this song from 1982. Here's Men at Work with "Who Can it Be Now?"  The sax is the star of the show in this one.

^^^

Greg Ham ( saxist, flutist, keyboardist , etal ..) was so multi-talented.  RIP .  You may recall, his flute playing was a big hit in "Down Under."

Some great sax riffs in my favorite Eddie Money song.  I get really nostalgic about this tune.  Don't we all wish we could go back in time ????

Here's the Money Man  with "I Wanna Go Back" .     RIP    EM.

Mesmerizing , seductive sax riff opens this terrific tune by the late, great George Michael. RIP

Westside,  thanks for both of those. I love both of those tunes.  SGTH was always one of my favorite Billy Joel songs.  Can't believe that song is over 40 years old. Incredible.

Westside, here's one of my favorite sax-heavy songs. The sax was played by the legendary jazz tenor sax player, Sonny Rollins. Amazing. Takes the song to another level.  (On a funny note, I always thought it seemed like Keith just wondered onto the set of this video from an all-night bender, totally unaware they were making a video).

Here's  Josh Redmond with the Stones playing incredible sax in a live performance with the Stones. Just amazing!  One of the best performances I've heard.

(07-31-2021, 11:03 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Westside,  thanks for both of those. I love both of those tunes.  SGTH was always one of my favorite Billy Joel songs.  Can't believe that song is over 40 years old. Incredible.

Westside, here's one of my favorite sax-heavy songs. The sax was played by the legendary jazz tenor sax player, Sonny Rollins. Amazing. Takes the song to another level.  (On a funny note, I always thought it seemed like Keith just wondered onto the set of this video from an all-night bender, totally unaware they were making a video).

Here's  Josh Redmond with the Stones playing incredible sax in a live performance with the Stones. Just amazing!  One of the best performances I've heard.

When I think of sax heavy songs I immediately think of the first song you posted, Bakers Street.  As far as Keith Richard, he probably did wonder onto the set after an all night bender not know they were making a video.
(07-31-2021, 02:21 PM)Westside Wrote:
(07-31-2021, 11:03 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Westside,  thanks for both of those. I love both of those tunes.  SGTH was always one of my favorite Billy Joel songs.  Can't believe that song is over 40 years old. Incredible.

When I think of sax heavy songs I immediately think of the first song you posted, Bakers Street.  As far as Keith Richard, he probably did wonder onto the set after an all night bender not know they were making a video.

Yep, "Baker Street" is the first one I always think of.  That song is synonamous with that sax solo.