Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone hear about the new UK football book?
I was reading the paper today and Eric Crawford of THE C-J was talking about it. Its called "The Thin Thirty: The Untold Story of Brutality, Scandal and Redemption for Charlie Bradshaw's 1962 Kentucky Football Team." Bradshaw was the 36 year old assistant to Bear Bryant at UK that took over the team. It talks about how players were forced into circles to fist fight and stay in there until they win. Also how the team started out with 88 players and finished the season with 30. A sex scandal, a fixed game against Xavier, and the triumph of victory over Tennessee with a 23 man healthy roster. One local player is also mentioned in it, Mike Minix of Paintsville High School. It is said that Bradshaw tried to throw his books out the window because he wanted him to switch to a less demanding major, Pre-Med, but Minix refused and quit the team. I think it would be a pretty good read and am looking forward to buying the book. Anyone else interested in reading the book. The major sources for this book came from over 100 interviews with players on that team.
That does sound interesting, do you know when it's supposed to come out?
I think it come out today to be honest with you. You know how Louisville is though, every time UK has something going good for them they have to dedicate a whole column to try and down grade their success.
I will definitely be buying this book...Charlie Bradshaw was one of the toughest SOB's that ever graced the sidelines..think Bear Bryant in Junction Boys. Every single year. Bradshaw was a successful coach at UK, save for the '62 season...but yeah, this will be a GREAT read..
I messed up with that last post....Charlie Bradshaw only had 2 seasons of .500 or better teams..I got him confused with Blanton Collier, who succeeded Bear Bryant. Collier was successful, not Bradshaw..
I'm gonna try to get a copy of this book, sounds like it's pretty good.
the author (Shannon Ragland) has a myspace page.... if anyone is interested I'll send you the link or post it here when I get a chance...., it has more info on the book....
Here is a link to that Courier Journal article if anyone is interested: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs...002/SPORTS
I have to get this book, does it come out in all book stores across the U.S or do we have to order online?
I wouldn't mind reading it.
Read the article from the Courier-Journal and look at the comments at the bottom of the page...Someone should remind those stupid UofL fans that UK is 5-1 and there beloved UofL is 3-3...
Should be a pretty good read.
Sounds pretty interesting. I may have to pick it up.
I looked for it today at Kroger's but they didn't have it. They did have some of the Sports Illustrated special edition Kentucky magazine.