• 1(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Open Job: Head Coach, Magoffin County
Heard from a very reliable source that Magoffin Head Coach Chris Gamble has stepped down. He told the team after the game last Friday nights game against Morgan County, due to health reasons. 

Who does Magoffin go after? Do they hire a current assistant or alumni? Do they go after someone on the outside? I know Magoffin has a good group in middle school and elementary coming up.
I’ve heard a few names being tossed around.

One coaches team is currently still in the playoffs, so I won’t mention his name, don’t wanna bring any kinda distraction to him or his players.

James Montgomery, a current assistant on the varsity.

??? Wages. Former player from the mid 90’s. Not sure about his coaching experience.
The youth has had some success but doubt the team stays together past 8th grade. Already kids looking elsewhere.  

I don’t see any of the 2 mentioned coaches being the guy. Neither has head coaching experience. One has no  coaching experience.
Magoffin County needs to hire an actual football coach. They have some talent but that district is brutal.
(11-09-2021, 04:39 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Magoffin County needs to hire an actual football coach. They have some talent but that district is brutal.
I agree 100%.  Someone who understands the time commitment it takes to build a program and who is willing to put that time in.   I hope, for the kids, they hire someone that has the background, does not have to be a older experienced coach, a good young coach who wants to establish himself would be good hire. No pressure to win for the first few years.  A new coach will have time to build the program the way it should be and by the time the young talent arrives hopefully he will have the program going in right direction.
I heard one of JC’s assistants was going to be the guy. Not sure if there is any validity to it or not, but that’s what I have heard.
Magoffin typically produces big strong student athletes that seem to enjoy playing hard and a great team ethic spirit.  I’d love to see the Hornets get a great coach to build this program.  Caba(spelling ?) and the McCoys had marginal success there and the program is still relatively young.
John Derosett’s name has been mentioned by a few people as a possible candidate.
(11-10-2021, 10:50 AM)Redneck Wrote: John Derosett’s name has been mentioned by a few people as a possible candidate.

I heard that too, but I think it was being wishful.  I don't think he would be interested unless he just regretted making the change to college ball.  He'd definitely have a tough resume to beat.
(11-10-2021, 10:50 AM)Redneck Wrote: John Derosett’s name has been mentioned by a few people as a possible candidate.
He applied last time, he is also not coaching college now.
It would be close to home for Coach Derosett . I'm sure he would rather be coaching back here and be the head man than where he currently is, but that's pure speculation on my part.
(11-10-2021, 11:13 AM)Wildcat45 Wrote:

I heard that too, but I think it was being wishful.  I don't think he would be interested unless he just regretted making the change to college ball.  He'd definitely have a tough resume to beat.
According to my Pburg connections, he wants the job.
(11-09-2021, 04:12 PM)GroundNPound Wrote: The youth has had some success but doubt the team stays together past 8th grade. Already kids looking elsewhere.  

I don’t see any of the 2 mentioned coaches being the guy. Neither has head coaching experience. One has no  coaching experience.
Gotta love those politics though lol. This an opportunity to take the football program serious. I hope they take advantage of it.
I have seen MC over the years produce some of the best middle school talent our area has ever seen. However, that has not translated to any measurable success in high school. If the right person was hired, that could happen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • Redneck
(11-10-2021, 06:56 PM)2000PHS Wrote: I have seen MC over the years produce some of the best middle school talent our area has ever seen.  However, that has not translated to any measurable success in high school.  If the right person was hired, that could happen.
 They usually don’t play in high school. Might go out freshman and sophomore year then not go back out.
It’s political over there that’s not accusation even people from there know it’s true. They have the resources to hire a program changing full time head coach especially if one of those names posted above applies, He made one mountain program a power house during his tenure there.
(11-10-2021, 11:08 PM)Gold River Wrote: It’s political over there that’s not accusation even people from there know it’s true. They have the resources to hire a program changing full time head coach especially if one of those names posted above applies, He made one mountain program a power house during his tenure there.
Agreed. The job hasn’t been posted on the KHSAA website yet. You would think they would want to start that process asap so that they can hire someone. Kids need to be in the weight room.
Some schools really believe they are basketball schools. In KY, far more kids have opportunities at the next level in football than bball. Not accusing; asking- is Magoffin admin just not interested and wanting to focus on hoops, or do they already KNOW who the next coach will be? Why not post the job?
(11-12-2021, 08:45 PM)ROTC Wrote: Some schools really believe they are basketball schools.  In KY, far more kids have opportunities at the next level in football than bball.  Not accusing; asking- is Magoffin admin just not interested and wanting to focus on hoops, or do they already KNOW who the next coach will be?  Why not post the job?
I’ve got a feeling the typical politics will play a role. And Magoffin is one of those places where every kid is gonna be a basketball star. It’s a shame, cause they have the big bodies and athletes roaming the halls. They could have a damn good football program. They have a great group in middle school and elementary right now. It would be a shame to see them not stick together.
I actually posted this in another thread; however, it makes much more sense at Magoffin. He wouldn’t necessarily even have to move to Salyersville……

Shorty Combs would be a great candidate for this job. Played at Breathitt and EKU. When the state came in and tried to ruin athletics in Breathitt County; he single handedly started a travel youth program(Lumberjacks) and has done a phenomenal job of helping to re-invigorate Breathitt football. He is a fine young man of impeccable character.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ROTC's post:
  • Redneck
Coach Derossett would do a great job at Magoffin. If they're serious about building a football program over there then that's who they should hire.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Red and Black's post:
  • Redneck
(11-12-2021, 11:41 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Coach Derossett would do a great job at Magoffin. If they're serious about building a football program over there then that's who they should hire.
This would be great for Paintsville!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Darth Hater's post:
  • BlackcatPride32
(11-13-2021, 10:08 AM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-12-2021, 11:41 PM)Red and Black Wrote: Coach Derossett would do a great job at Magoffin. If they're serious about building a football program over there then that's who they should hire.
Why is that
(11-13-2021, 11:33 AM)Redneck Wrote:
Why is that
Mainly based on how the last few years with the Blackcats went. Why act like you don't know what I'm referring to?
(11-13-2021, 12:05 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
Why is that
Mainly based on how the last few years with the Blackcats went. Why act like you don't know what I'm referring to?

No one is acting like anything. Derosett hasn’t been at Pburg since 2017. Pburg still has kids transferring. I’d let my kid play for him in a heartbeat. If these Magoffin kids see his resume, it may open their eyes and get the kids roaming the halls to come out and play, much like what happened at JC when Matney took over.
[-] The following 2 users Like Redneck's post:
  • Westside, wolfcat
They need to make a program changing hire, In the district they are in you have to have someone that is going to fire them up to play, and with the talent they have coming up through their youth one would think they need that home run hire to keep them in the county and playing football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SlickRick's post:
  • Redneck
They def are in a tough district.
(11-12-2021, 09:35 PM)ROTC Wrote: I actually posted this in another thread; however, it makes much more sense at Magoffin.  He wouldn’t necessarily even have to move to Salyersville……

Shorty Combs would be a great candidate for this job. Played at Breathitt and EKU. When the state came in and tried to ruin athletics in Breathitt County; he single handedly started a travel youth program(Lumberjacks) and has done a phenomenal job of helping to re-invigorate Breathitt football. He is a fine young man of impeccable character.

I hope
we can keep him at Breathitt. He is a real asset in the feeder programs and on Friday nights especially on defense. He is head coach at the Middle school. He's a great role model for all that play for him hopefully his heart bleeds too much blue to leave.

He has 2 stud sons in the program right now. The oldest started middle linebacker as a freshman. The younger was region player of the year in 7th grade football. Both have all state potential if they keep growing.
(11-13-2021, 01:17 PM)Redneck Wrote:
Why is that

No one is acting like anything. Derosett hasn’t been at Pburg since 2017. Pburg still has kids transferring. I’d let my kid play for him in a heartbeat. If these Magoffin kids see his resume, it may open their eyes and get the kids roaming the halls to come out and play, much like what happened at JC when Matney took over.
Well, it's important to remember that Coach Matney became the head coach in 2004 and it wasn't until 2015 when they made their first championship appearance. Its hard for me to believe  that it would take six years for his "resume" to take effect. A much more likely explanation would be consistent work and cooperation from lots of people at many different levels. Prior to 2015 they won one regional championship and lost several. Furthermore, Coach Matneys resume at that point in his career was way more attractive than Coach Derosett's!
(11-14-2021, 03:32 PM)Darth Hater Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 01:17 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(11-13-2021, 10:08 AM)Darth Hater Wrote: This would be great for Paintsville!
Why is that

Well, it's important to remember that Coach Matney became the head coach in 2004 and it wasn't until 2015 when they made their first championship appearance. Its hard for me to believe  that it would take six years for his "resume" to take effect. A much more likely explanation would be consistent work and cooperation from lots of people at many different levels. Prior to 2015 they won one regional championship and lost several. Furthermore, Coach Matneys resume at that point in his career was way more attractive than Coach Derosett's!

I didn’t say anything about state championships. I was referring to Jim being about to get the kids to come out and play as soon as he got there. They went from having low numbers, to very good numbers. That’s where it starts. Gotta get the athletes out of the halls and on to the field. And a State Runner-Up, 2 other State Semi-Final apperences, and 7 more Region Finals appearances, then add in the fact that John was the LB coach at Upike the past 3 years. Sounds like a pretty damn good resume to me. Idk how you get that Matneys resume before that point was better.
  • 1(current)
  • Next