Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it take to be a baseball Head coach?
I was just wondering what it takes to be a Head coach of a baseball team High school/ college/ and MLB?
High school you must be a teacher or part of the faculty in the school district or have an assistant coach that is. College you will have to show amazing skills at high school coaching...Im sure there are other things you have to go through.
Therunner Wrote:High school you must be a teacher or part of the faculty in the school district or have an assistant coach that is. College you will have to show amazing skills at high school coaching...Im sure there are other things you have to go through.
Wrong.....In H.S., All you have to have is at least 64 college credit hours. You don't even have to have a job anywhere, niether do your assts.
The Guru Wrote:Wrong.....In H.S., All you have to have is at least 64 college credit hours. You don't even have to have a job anywhere, niether do your assts.

You have to submit to a background (criminal) check and be able to provide the BOE a copy of your college transcript (showing 64 hours as Guru stated). Also, anyone who helps (assists) must do the background check and go through the board to be "hired" as a (non-paid) volunteer.
They are more likely to hire a coach who works within the school system, but alot of high schools have been hiring outside there school system.
phs1986 Wrote:You have to submit to a background (criminal) check and be able to provide the BOE a copy of your college transcript (showing 64 hours as Guru stated). Also, anyone who helps (assists) must do the background check and go through the board to be "hired" as a (non-paid) volunteer.

So H.S assist coaches dont get paid? or is that just for baseball? Im pretty sure that some of the coaches on my HS football was getting paid.
Tailback44 Wrote:So H.S assist coaches dont get paid? or is that just for baseball? Im pretty sure that some of the coaches on my HS football was getting paid.

schools have a set number of coaches they can pay and the extra have to fill out the volunteer...most baseball teams have atleast 2 to 3 paid assistants..
This may be true guru, but ideally you would want your coaches in the school system.
yeh i agree
Any coach depends on the district. I know a golf coach which is a para-profassional, which means that he runs a truch that delivers to the school. However I also know someone who tried to be a coach(and is very qualified) He has a degree and Subs. for the district. The board says he cant coach. Pretty much it all depends on the district!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
coolcat Wrote:This may be true guru, but ideally you would want your coaches in the school system.
I totally agree!!! Kids need to see their coaches in a fulltime capacity as an authority figure. Anything less loses a little with the players. Coaching is not a hobby, so hire the best you have available within your system or advertise and bring into your system the best you can get. Their are plenty of leagues out there for hobby coaches.
3under_PAR Wrote:Any coach depends on the district. I know a golf coach which is a para-profassional, which means that he runs a truch that delivers to the school. However I also know someone who tried to be a coach(and is very qualified) He has a degree and Subs. for the district. The board says he cant coach. Pretty much it all depends on the district!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As in a lot of jobs, coaching and otherwise, it's not WHAT you know but WHO you know. Seems like a lot of schools in Eastern Ky. don't put much importance on baseball programs. Those that do are usually successful every year, have veteran coaches, and several paid assts.
who makes the final decision on hiring a head coach?
BlackKnight8 Wrote:who makes the final decision on hiring a head coach?

as far as i know its the site base council...
bigE Wrote:as far as i know its the site base council...

Which in some districts is nothing more than a " rubber stamp" for the recommendations made by the AD, principal, or Supt.
mandan Wrote:Which in some districts is nothing more than a " rubber stamp" for the recommendations made by the AD, principal, or Supt.

haha yeh that is very true, things have become more and more political over the years in regards to hiring coaches...I dont think it will ever get better either...theres always going to be "recommendations" and theres really no hope in a small town unless you know someone..
BlackKnight8 Wrote:who makes the final decision on hiring a head coach?
The Super is supposed to submit what he determines as the best candidates to Site Base for interviews, then they make their recomendations and pass off to the Principal, He is supposed to hire. It is ultimately up to the P to fire as well.
The Guru Wrote:The Super is supposed to submit what he determines as the best candidates to Site Base for interviews, then they make their recomendations and pass off to the Principal, He is supposed to hire. It is ultimately up to the P to fire as well.

i believe your right they give principals alot of power now days that im not sure they should have in some cases...ive seen them use it and abuse it many times...i always thought the superintendent and the board should be in on the hiring process as well, especially since all the scandals with teachers and coaches i think there should be a better screening process involved anyway...
bigE Wrote:i believe your right they give principals alot of power now days that im not sure they should have in some cases...ive seen them use it and abuse it many times...i always thought the superintendent and the board should be in on the hiring process as well, especially since all the scandals with teachers and coaches i think there should be a better screening process involved anyway...
Agreed. @ Paintsville, the BOE supposedly has not any say-so in personnel matters.
The Guru Wrote:Agreed. @ Paintsville, the BOE supposedly has not any say-so in personnel matters.

ive heard its like that in alot of places, and thats a shame.. Basically all you have to do is make 2 or 3 friends on the site-base and your in...theres gotta be a better way to hire not only coaches but all employees..
I'm not convinced that all principals or SBC members have the expertise to evaluate the qualifications of coaching prospects. Which, in turn, further politicizes the process.