Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds Say Goodbye To...
Mark Belhorn, Jason Ellison, Kirk Saarloos. All cleared waivers, refused their minor league assignments and elected for free agency...Goodbye to dead wood.
jammin' jamey Wrote:Mark Belhorn, Jason Ellison, Kirk Saarloos. All cleared waivers, refused their minor league assignments and elected for free agency...Goodbye to dead wood.

True. Get them out of here and let someone else get their opportunies.
So glad they got rid of Ellison. I never could figure out why that guy was on the major-league roster, much less getting at-bats. He was almost an automatic out in the lineup.

As for Bellhorn, he didn't really play much anyway. He was more like an infield insurance policy in case somebody got hurt, whcih fortunately didn't happen.

Saarloos surprised me. I thought that a sinkerball pitcher who serves up groundballs would do well in Great American, but all he served up this year was gopher balls. Not sure what happened with him.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I actually got to talk to Belorn for about 2 hours one night! Seemed like a supergreat guy and loved being in Cincy! The other 2...ADIOS!!!!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I actually got to talk to Belorn for about 2 hours one night! Seemed like a supergreat guy and loved being in Cincy! The other 2...ADIOS!!!!

I really didn't have a problem with Bellhorn, like I said all he was supposed to be was insurance against an injury to one of the infielders on the big club. If they want to re-sign him and stash him down at Louisville as an insurance policy again, I think it would be fine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I agree! He is def. an utility type player and nothing else!
More Cowbell Wrote:Saarloos surprised me. I thought that a sinkerball pitcher who serves up groundballs would do well in Great American, but all he served up this year was gopher balls. Not sure what happened with him.

From what I heard/read, Saarloos was a headcase. When he was sent to Louisville, he was pretty defiant about the coaches changing his mechanics and such. What a waste.
jammin' jamey Wrote:From what I heard/read, Saarloos was a headcase. When he was sent to Louisville, he was pretty defiant about the coaches changing his mechanics and such. What a waste.

It's funny, you read all the time about how the Reds need to bring in sinkerball, grounder-inducing type pitchers in order to succeed at Great American. Then they go out and get one over the offseason, and he implodes.

Go figure... :confused:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]