Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region
Pretty obvious PCC is the top team after the Mountain Classic.  They look good on both ends of the court and play team ball.  Cordia looks legit from the two games I’ve watched.  Almost everyone had Breathitt in the top spot preseason but where do you put them now?  I expected them to come out of the gate on fire the way they were hyped. There’s a lot of basketball to play between now and tournament time but they’ve got a lot to work on.  

Those are the 3 teams I can realistically see winning 3 games in a row at the region tourney.  The way I see it there’s a step down to the next group of Letcher, Hazard and Wolfe
I’d venture out to say Knott Central could beat anyone on any given night.
(12-13-2021, 12:37 AM)HollerRat Wrote: Pretty obvious PCC is the top team after the Mountain Classic.  They look good on both ends of the court and play team ball.  Cordia looks legit from the two games I’ve watched.  Almost everyone had Breathitt in the top spot preseason but where do you put them now?  I expected them to come out of the gate on fire the way they were hyped. There’s a lot of basketball to play between now and tournament time but they’ve got a lot to work on.  
Those are the 3 teams I can realistically see winning 3 games in a row at the region tourney.  The way I see it there’s a step down to the next group of Letcher, Hazard and Wolfe

Perry
Breathitt
Letcher
Cordia
Wolfe
Hazard
Knott
Perry and Breathitt are the only 2 teams that look like they will have a shot come tourney time. Right now it is PCC's to lose after watching the WYMT. (Knott, Wolfe, Hazard, Letcher) might be able to pull off an upset but I don't think it will happen. Anything can happen in tournament time, however.
Breathitt has probably a little more raw athleticism but Perry has the better basketball players. Rydge Beverly takes care of the basketball better than any PG in the region. That goes a long ways.
Breathitt has the most talent, but talent can only take you so far. As of right now, Perry Central is the best team in the region and their guard play has been impressive. If Breathitt is going to win a regional title, they must cut down on turnovers and play better offensively in the half court. Nobody in the region can run with Breathitt, but if the WYMT Classic taught us anything, Breathitt's weakness is slowing them down and making them make plays in the half court. Hopefully, they get this figured out, because Perry is good at making you play at their pace.
I think Perry runs better than Breathitt and has more depth. Breathitt has a great coach but he can’t make decisions for the players in the heat of the moment. Breathitt starts making better decisions, they can play with the Dores. The Dores have a veteran team and are gonna be a tough out.