Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals.
Well I am one of the biggest fans they are but after watching them the last three weeks it makes me sick. They cant stop the run and when they do they let them convert the 3rd downs. Today when I stopped watching they were 0-9 in third down conversations.

Wow I never thought I would say this but they suck this year bad.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Well I am one of the biggest fans they are but after watching them the last three weeks it makes me sick. They cant stop the run and when they do they let them convert the 3rd downs. Today when I stopped watching they were 0-9 in third down conversations.

Wow I never thought I would say this but they suck this year bad.

I'm actually happy with the game that the defense is playing and the plays that Chuck is calling, but the offensive play calling is ridiculous. Short yardage, running off tackle didn't work, so on fourth and one why would you try off tackle again? Run a QB sneak. Refs screwed the Bengals again, for one they called that catch on the sidelines incomplete, even after a review.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
The defense gave up 20 points and a hundred yards rushing to Johnson in the first half. The offensive line was terrible. People have got to understand that despite all the hoopla that surrounds the players at the skill positions, this is still a game thats won or lost at the line of scrimmage. You control the line of scrimmage, more often than not you win the game. The defense only gave up 7 the second half but unforunately this is a 60 minute game and you have to come out ready to play. Considering how pathetic the Chiefs offense has been, one would think there might be an advantage there. On the play that was reviewed and not overturned (yes it was a catch) Palmer was running for his life. Had he had time to set his feet and deliver the ball, it would have been an easy completion. Used to.....teams had to respect the run when Rudi was a factor.......not anymore.
This Bengals team has been undone by two things, 1) a rash of injuries and 2) a lack of heart.

I am shocked at how bad this team is playing. This Kansas City team was not very good, and this was a game Cincy should have won easily. But the Bengals are a team that looks bad on offense and defense right now. The offense has become completely dependent on Palmer, Johnson, and Housh, and are getting virtually nothing from the running game. It then makes it hard to protect your star QB when the other team knows what is coming, and you are missing your starting tackles.

They look like they are ready to pack it in for the year. If they keep playing like this they will be lucky to win 4 games.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Only 5 teams since 1990 have started 1-4 and made the playoffs.
Bengal Cat Wrote:The defense gave up 20 points and a hundred yards rushing to Johnson in the first half. The offensive line was terrible. People have got to understand that despite all the hoopla that surrounds the players at the skill positions, this is still a game thats won or lost at the line of scrimmage. You control the line of scrimmage, more often than not you win the game. The defense only gave up 7 the second half but unforunately this is a 60 minute game and you have to come out ready to play. Considering how pathetic the Chiefs offense has been, one would think there might be an advantage there. On the play that was reviewed and not overturned (yes it was a catch) Palmer was running for his life. Had he had time to set his feet and deliver the ball, it would have been an easy completion. Used to.....teams had to respect the run when Rudi was a factor.......not anymore.

You can't convince BFritz that the Bengal defense is bad. I tried and he had no part of it. Gave facts. Didn't matter. Criticize the offense all you want but the Bengals gave up 27 points to an offense led by Damon Huard. Damon Huard. They treated Larry Johnson like he was a leper. I said 8-8 before the season began and I'm sticking to it although 8-8 may seem like a moral victory at this point.
Lake Chief Wrote:You can't convince BFritz that the Bengal defense is bad. I tried and he had no part of it. Gave facts. Didn't matter. Criticize the offense all you want but the Bengals gave up 27 points to an offense led by Damon Huard. Damon Huard. They treated Larry Johnson like he was a leper. I said 8-8 before the season began and I'm sticking to it although 8-8 may seem like a moral victory at this point.

BFritz knows how bad our D is Lake. I think the one thing all of us are guilty of is underestimaing the impact all of the shuffling on the O Line would have on our offense. We all knew the defense would be suspect. The starting offensive line the first game last season was....LT- Levi Jones, LG- Eric Steinbauch, C- Rich Braham, RG- Bobbie Williams, RT- Willie Anderson. Combine that with the loss of Chris Perry and Chris Henry and right theres your problem on offense. The lack of a running game goes right back to the o-line as well.
Bengal Cat Wrote:BFritz knows how bad our D is Lake. I think the one thing all of us are guilty of is underestimaing the impact all of the shuffling on the O Line would have on our offense. We all knew the defense would be suspect. The starting offensive line the first game last season was....LT- Levi Jones, LG- Eric Steinbauch, C- Rich Braham, RG- Bobbie Williams, RT- Willie Anderson. Combine that with the loss of Chris Perry and Chris Henry and right theres your problem on offense. The lack of a running game goes right back to the o-line as well.

BFritz Wrote:I'm actually happy with the game that the defense is playing and the plays that Chuck is calling, but the offensive play calling is ridiculous.

:confused: :confused:
With all the injuries at LB I have to bring something up. Where is Ed Hartwell? We spend half the offseason chasing him with free agency money. Then we decide we don't want him right before the season starts. So instead of bringing him back when all the injuries start....a guy that already knows the system......we go out getting guys off the street. If he wasn't that good then why did we go after him in the first place?
Lake Chief Wrote::confused: :confused:

If you'll look at the time of that post, it was during the early part of the game. We had two or three sacks by then, and we were never giving Huard much time to stand back in the pocket and do whatever he wanted to us.

For the second time this season (the first time being the Baltimore game), I liked our defensive play calling and we pressured the other quarterback and brought the house on them, but, unfortunately, our offense didn't come to play.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Im not seeing team #6 in the near future.

Bengal Cat Wrote:Only 5 teams since 1990 have started 1-4 and made the playoffs.
-STATS- Wrote:Im not seeing team #6 in the near future.

Me either.
I dont mean to bring more misery, but I saw the Chiefs game as a must win game for the Bengals. No the season isnt over, but they still have several very tough games remaining on the schedule. Before the season, I think I picked Cincy 11-5 or 10-6, but the Browns game and the Chiefs game were two I didnt think they would lose..and they have a lot of room to make up in the AFC North, because my Pittsburgh boys have a death grip on first, then you got Baltimore who's always tough, and Cleveland, who IMO is the most surprising team in all of football, and could very well be second in that division by the time the year is over..Cincy is still a team that concerns me though, just because they are so explosive. The offense didnt do much yesterday, but any given game they can put up 40 points, and usually they play the division teams very well..I do see them, at this point, a very scary spoiler team. Im not seeing the playoffs this year, although the season is only a third of the way through, its looking bleak for the Bengals..
Bengal Cat Wrote:Only 5 teams since 1990 have started 1-4 and made the playoffs.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I dont mean to bring more misery, but I saw the Chiefs game as a must win game for the Bengals. No the season isnt over, but they still have several very tough games remaining on the schedule. Before the season, I think I picked Cincy 11-5 or 10-6, but the Browns game and the Chiefs game were two I didnt think they would lose..and they have a lot of room to make up in the AFC North, because my Pittsburgh boys have a death grip on first, then you got Baltimore who's always tough, and Cleveland, who IMO is the most surprising team in all of football, and could very well be second in that division by the time the year is over..Cincy is still a team that concerns me though, just because they are so explosive. The offense didnt do much yesterday, but any given game they can put up 40 points, and usually they play the division teams very well..I do see them, at this point, a very scary spoiler team. Im not seeing the playoffs this year, although the season is only a third of the way through, its looking bleak for the Bengals..

I'm a diehard fan and won't give up. A true fan never gives up. But the thing that was obvious from the start of training camp was that this team would go as far as the offense could take it. Almost nothing was done to upgrade the defense in the offseason. When other teams look at their schedule and see the Bengals, the thing that concerns them is the offense. This offense is explosive when it has all its parts. They are missing Chris Perry, Chris Henry, Kenny Irons a healthy Rudi Johnson, Willie Anderson and throw in the fact they let Eric Steinbach go so they could pay Levi Jones (who couldn't block me right now). I'm sorry but thats a whole lot of missing parts. It's not an excuse....it's a fact. Carson Palmer is just as good as he was the last 2 seasons in which he was selected to the pro bowl. Only difference is he doesn't have the supprting cast he did then and it all starts up front.

The Bengals have 11 games left. I think they have to go 9-2 or no worse than 8-3 to have a shot at the playoffs. A tall order indeed.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I'm a diehard fan and won't give up. A true fan never gives up. But the thing that was obvious from the start of training camp was that this team would go as far as the offense could take it. Almost nothing was done to upgrade the defense in the offseason. When other teams look at their schedule and see the Bengals, the thing that concerns them is the offense. This offense is explosive when it has all its parts. They are missing Chris Perry, Chris Henry, Kenny Irons a healthy Rudi Johnson, Willie Anderson and throw in the fact they let Eric Steinbach go so they could pay Levi Jones (who couldn't block me right now). I'm sorry but thats a whole lot of missing parts. It's not an excuse....it's a fact. Carson Palmer is just as good as he was the last 2 seasons in which he was selected to the pro bowl. Only difference is he doesn't have the supprting cast he did then and it all starts up front.
The Bengals have 11 games left. I think they have to go 9-2 or no worse than 8-3 to have a shot at the playoffs. A tall order indeed

That's to even have a shot because, once again, the AFC North is the powerhouse of the NFL, and even more so because the Browns have a good team for the first time in years.

I also believe that they can do it, though. Starting the year with those tough opponents could play to our strength if we get healthy and don't collapse mentally.
Bengal Cat Wrote:I'm a diehard fan and won't give up. A true fan never gives up. But the thing that was obvious from the start of training camp was that this team would go as far as the offense could take it. Almost nothing was done to upgrade the defense in the offseason. When other teams look at their schedule and see the Bengals, the thing that concerns them is the offense. This offense is explosive when it has all its parts. They are missing Chris Perry, Chris Henry, Kenny Irons a healthy Rudi Johnson, Willie Anderson and throw in the fact they let Eric Steinbach go so they could pay Levi Jones (who couldn't block me right now). I'm sorry but thats a whole lot of missing parts. It's not an excuse....it's a fact. Carson Palmer is just as good as he was the last 2 seasons in which he was selected to the pro bowl. Only difference is he doesn't have the supprting cast he did then and it all starts up front.

I agree with you, I really have a hard time blaming the defense for the Bengals' struggles this year, despite what the national media would like us to believe. In reality, the defense has only lost us one game this year (Cleveland) and won one game (Baltimore). The offense, on the other hand, has lost us two games (Seattle and Kansas City). I would say both sides of the ball fell flat on their face against the Pats.

The offense has looked so out-of-synch it's ridiculous. There is no running game to speak of, nobody blocking on the line, and no one to catch Carson's passes besides Chad and T.J. If our offense was playing better, we beat the Chiefs and Seahawks and sit at a respectable 3-2 right now. Instead, the season looks to be a lost cause.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I agree with you, I really have a hard time blaming the defense for the Bengals' struggles this year, despite what the national media would like us to believe. In reality, the defense has only lost us one game this year (Cleveland) and won one game (Baltimore). The offense, on the other hand, has lost us two games (Seattle and Kansas City). I would say both sides of the ball fell flat on their face against the Pats.

The offense has looked so out-of-synch it's ridiculous. There is no running game to speak of, nobody blocking on the line, and no one to catch Carson's passes besides Chad and T.J. If our offense was playing better, we beat the Chiefs and Seahawks and sit at a respectable 3-2 right now. Instead, the season looks to be a lost cause.

I disagree, we just need to get everyone healthy and back from suspension and I believe we can still make a run at it. Getting Caleb Miller, Rashad Jeanty, Levi Jones (I believe he's coming back this week), and maybe Perry all back this week should help us a lot.

The two games against the Steelers that we have left are the only two games that I can't see us as a clear favorite in.
The Bengals need to win about 5 in a row and hope the Steelers and Ravens lose.
5timechamp Wrote:The Bengals need to win about 5 in a row and hope the Steelers and Ravens lose.

Baltimore plays Buffalo this week which should be an easy win, but then they go to Pittsburg after a bye week, then they play the Browns and Bengals at home (both of which have already beat them), then go to San Diego, then play the Pats and Colts at home, then go to Miami and Seattle, then play Pittsburg at home.

Given that schedule, they'll be lucky to get to 8-8.

The Steelers have a bit easier of a schedule, but it's still not a given.

What I'm getting at is, assuming we get healthy and pull our heads out of our rears and start putting together complete games (offense and defense for four quarters), we have a very good shot at getting a Wild Card (minimum, but division champs would be a long shot).
Bengals are soft and it is SHOWING!!!
BFritz Wrote:I disagree, we just need to get everyone healthy and back from suspension and I believe we can still make a run at it. Getting Caleb Miller, Rashad Jeanty, Levi Jones (I believe he's coming back this week), and maybe Perry all back this week should help us a lot.

The two games against the Steelers that we have left are the only two games that I can't see us as a clear favorite in.

I wouldn't say they are the only two games we'll be favored to lose. I would be shocked if the Ravens weren't favored to beat us at Baltimore, and San Fran might be favored at home, too. Then again, I would've called us a clear favorite against the Chiefs and Browns as well (before the season started, anyway) and we know how those games turned out.

Mind you, I am not giving up on my team, but I can definitely say that things are not looking good. The way the season is going, a 9-7 record might be the best we Bengals fans could hope for, which will probably not get them into the playoffs anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMO I think Chuck Bresnahan needs to go.
Pink Flamingo Wrote:IMO I think Chuck Bresnahan needs to go.

He's not that bad when he actually attacks the other team's offense, but that's rare, and we need to bring in more/better scouts and draft more defensive players.
I expect them to completely meltdown this weekend & lose to a terrible Jets team. It was insane for them to be a favorite on the road against KC last week.
GB1 Wrote:I expect them to completely meltdown this weekend & lose to a terrible Jets team. It was insane for them to be a favorite on the road against KC last week.

We'll see
BFritz Wrote:We'll see

Well it's halftime & I feel pretty confident about my prediction, even though I was hoping to be wrong. The defense is terrible, Levi Jones can't stop commiting false start penalties, & the time management at the end of the half was a bad joke.
Well the Bengals came up big in the 2nd half. The offensive lines opened holes & Kenny Watson hit them. And the defense got a break early, Pennington & Coles not being able to hook up on what should have been an easy TD, & started playing much better. We'll see if this can translate into some more wins. Glenn Holt had a nice game today as well.