Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Herbstreit is an IDIOT!
I just watched him on ESPN tonight say that college football doesn't need a playoff system. What the hell is he smokin?
He played in the big 10, what do you expect, all these big 10 teams that get ranked high would be exploited in a playoff system and the nation would see how weak the big 10 is.
ComeFlyWithMe Wrote:He played in the big 10, what do you expect, all these big 10 teams that get ranked high would be exploited in a playoff system and the nation would see how weak the big 10 is.

Your right. What kills me is that a whole nation prefers the playoff system except for maybe about 10 people. I just don't understand . Why can't they still use the bowl system and the further you advance the more bowls you play in. money money money.
Ah people don't see the simple economics behind it OTH. Start the playoffs at the regular time of the BCS or a week early and you finish the season at latest the third week of January. More games, more dollars, and more money from TV companies fighting to host the games. I think that most of the higher-ups are scared that they will lose money on the idea since the NFL playoffs start right around that time. College football and basketball are arguably the most popular sports in the nation come tournament/bowl time.
Forgot who it was that said it but it was one of the analyist on ESPN. He stated that this year being the year of the upset, and so much going on in the BCS, a playoff system is highly needed, and I agree.
Also the parody in College Football is unreal!

-STATS- Wrote:Forgot who it was that said it but it was one of the analyist on ESPN. He stated that this year being the year of the upset, and so much going on in the BCS, a playoff system is highly needed, and I agree.
Kirk has to be taking lessons from Lee Crosco which makes both of them idiots.Neither one of them has picked UK and UK has made them eat crow.
Why are you just know learning this. If OSU was playing the NFL pro bowlers Herbie would take The Ohio State University. He sucks as a credible analyst, but he is entertaining he says things that make us laugh.
I can understand arguments on both sides.... I am a bigger fan of the "plus one" system than a full bore playoff... at most, a playoff should have 4 teams....
FreakNasty Wrote:I can understand arguments on both sides.... I am a bigger fan of the "plus one" system than a full bore playoff... at most, a playoff should have 4 teams....
Totally agree. But as people have stated in the past it comes to the $$$$. I face the problem of deciding whether a playoff would cause the rest of the bowl games to mean less therefore no one would want to watch them. But then again, they already are not playing for a national title and people watch them so I think they should take 2 different BCS games and have the winners of these games play. But then you have the argument of why have the other BCS games? It is more complicated than people think, but something needs to be changed. Maybe lose the whole BCS bowl thing and just select 3 bowls a year (out of the current BCS bowls) to host these 3 championship games and make the other one a regular bowl every 4 years.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If it came down to only 4 or 8 teams playing post season football, then I say stick with the bowls with the plus one addition....but I like the 8 team playoff, with the other 48 teams playing in bowl games idea the best though...I actually like the plus one because, although college football post season isnt fail proof, it is better than them doing nothing at all about the gripe. I dont think we'll ever see a playoff, because when the SEC wins 9 out of the first 10 championships, they'll go back to bowling..but as for me, I actually like watching all the bowls. And I dont think there is such a thing as too many bowls, because I am just a college football junkie. I'll watch anybody playing anywhere, lol...
TidesHoss32 Wrote:If it came down to only 4 or 8 teams playing post season football, then I say stick with the bowls with the plus one addition....but I like the 8 team playoff, with the other 48 teams playing in bowl games idea the best though...I actually like the plus one because, although college football post season isnt fail proof, it is better than them doing nothing at all about the gripe. I dont think we'll ever see a playoff, because when the SEC wins 9 out of the first 10 championships, they'll go back to bowling..but as for me, I actually like watching all the bowls. And I dont think there is such a thing as too many bowls, because I am just a college football junkie. I'll watch anybody playing anywhere, lol...

The problem I have with an eight team playoff is you would have one or two 2 loss teams in the playoff and would hurt the importance of the regular season.....

If you have a 4, it takes the 2 losses out of the equation (almost all the time), and a plus one makes it even harder for two loss teams to get in...
the bowl games will never be taken away. However, there should be a four or even six team playoff system and all non-playoff schools are eligible for bowl games. The playoff teams should be relegated to upper level bowl games. In this scenario we have both.
thats why I like the plus one scenario the best...I can still watch the bowl games nobody else watches, lol, but college football is 99% of the time guaranteed a true national champion..but I was saying that, an 8 team playoff would be the best way to go if there was serious talk of a playoff, which I dont think will ever happen..Im for the plus one though, personally..
FreakNasty Wrote:The problem I have with an eight team playoff is you would have one or two 2 loss teams in the playoff and would hurt the importance of the regular season.....

If you have a 4, it takes the 2 losses out of the equation (almost all the time), and a plus one makes it even harder for two loss teams to get in...
Yea, he's just like Jesse Palmer, biased, and doesn't have a clue to what in the hell is going on.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:If it came down to only 4 or 8 teams playing post season football, then I say stick with the bowls with the plus one addition....but I like the 8 team playoff, with the other 48 teams playing in bowl games idea the best though...I actually like the plus one because, although college football post season isnt fail proof, it is better than them doing nothing at all about the gripe. I dont think we'll ever see a playoff, because when the SEC wins 9 out of the first 10 championships, they'll go back to bowling..but as for me, I actually like watching all the bowls. And I dont think there is such a thing as too many bowls, because I am just a college football junkie. I'll watch anybody playing anywhere, lol...

I'm like you, I love to watch the bowl games. I'd say I watch a good majority of them, unless it's something like Tulsa vs. San Jose State (LOL). I will pretty much watch any game involving a major conference team, usually so I can root for the underdog!

I agree with the idea of an 8-team playof system, which would be enough to include any major unbeaten team as well as a few deserving 1-loss teams. However, I don't like the idea of a plus-one, that is nothing more than just tacking on another game to the current system and does not address the underlying problem. Either give us a playoff or leave it alone.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:thats why I like the plus one scenario the best...I can still watch the bowl games nobody else watches, lol, but college football is 99% of the time guaranteed a true national champion..but I was saying that, an 8 team playoff would be the best way to go if there was serious talk of a playoff, which I dont think will ever happen..Im for the plus one though, personally..

I'm like you... the more college football the better... :thumpsup: