Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence Co. 2022 Schedule
I have to ask, what happened different in the last game between Belfry and the first game last year? Those two scores are alot different.
Lawrence defense matured a ton between the two games. In the first matchup, they missed a ton of tackles they just didn’t miss in the second.
They played to their potential.

Raceland has had the better of LC since ‘13. But if you saw last season’s OT game in Raceland, you’d better believe the Rams and Dawgs are gonna put on a great display in Louisa.

I think Boyd will be markedly better than before as will Magoffin.

That, combined with cross district playoffs, should make for a fun and competitive season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brutus's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-03-2022, 12:13 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: I have to ask, what happened different in the last game between Belfry and the first game last year? Those two scores are alot different.
The first Belfry game kind of fell apart for Lawrence. They actually opened the game very competitive. I felt Lawrence County's staff kind of panicked that game to be honest. LC had a couple blown assignments and couple missed tackles that led to big plays and after Belfry got the momentum the LC staff started forcing things right before the Half.

The second game it was Belfry who came out and got a couple quick scores and surprisingly enough I think this played into LC's advantage. When LC started to settle down and sustain success there was still a ton of ballgame left and it allowed them to continue to do what was working and to grow their momentum. Compared to the first game, I thought the LC staff coached a beautiful game and didn't panic after Belfry went up early. They did what you have to do when you don't necessarily have more talent than Belfry to beat them. Let Belfry shorten the game for you by doing what they do, then shorten it even further by being patient on offense and just moving the ball and taking what Belfry gives you. Also as mentioned, LC played the option much better and also tackled much better.

Dixon just did Mr. Football things when Belfry had the ball last and led them to the victory.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Bull got out!
East Carter could be good if there is young talent coming behind what left from a state finalist.

@EKUAlum05 Dixon was monumental in that 4th quarter. He willed them to the win.
Who does LC return and who will be players to watch?

QB?

What will their offense look like?
(08-03-2022, 12:23 PM)RTruth Wrote: Who does LC return and who will be players to watch?

QB?

What will their offense look like?
Lawrence County will be a good team this year but have to overcome losing their leading in rushing and TDs (Fletcher), starting QB (Strickland) who was also the best safety in the area, their other starting HB (Hall), and a very good offensive lineman(Bowen). They have some kids that can fill in but not sure if they can replace all the production. 

Dylan Ferguson will move to HB. Will McDavid will move into the fullback roll. Ryan Marcum and Cody Crum will fight for the last HB position. The back field will not be as athletic or quick but will bring physicality to the position. Gillispie and Derifield are 2 kids that can catch the ball and make defender miss. Their offense will put up a lot points. 

Lawrence Countys line will be outstanding this year. They only lost one starter from a very good and physical line from last year. Whitt, Strickland, Longstreth, and Prater are all back. Finding that 5th lineman will be very important for the new backfield. 

The defense will be loaded. Lawrence County only lost 2 starters and 2 more that played alot of defensive snaps. Losing Strickland, Fletcher, Bellomy, and Hall will hurt defensively but they are alot of kids that can step into their roles. Ferguson and Ball at linebacker are outstanding. Collinsworth is a stud no matter where they play him safety or linebacker? Pollock and Gillispie are athletic studs who will make plays all over the field. 

The big question is QB. Can Pollock come in and run the offense? I think he can. He’s a great kid with a big arm and a lot of athletic ability. The only question mark is how he reads the defenses. I think he’ll step in and do a great job. 

I think LC goes 7-3 at worst and 9-1 at best. Their schedule isn’t the toughest but coach Short and his staff will have them ready to roll come playoffs time.
Return the Dylans - Ferguson and Whitt. Ferg is a bruiser with just enough speed and a terrific sledgehammer on D.
Whitt is a very good HS lineman. Can do it both ways but he is really good on OL.
Trace Longstreth is another quality lineman who can go both ways.
Makai Strickland is a man on both sides of the line. Blake Prater was a great addition to the line last year and returns.
Abner Collinsworth is a very tough LB/FB. Luis Chicko is gonna to break out at DE/TE.
A bevy of backs: Eathan Horn, Ryan Marcum, Will McDavid, Cody Crum, Lawson Baisden can all be effective if not highly productive at RB.
Kaden Gillespie is a game breaker type playmaker wherever he lines up.
Caden Ball is a tackling machine at MLB.
Gabe Barker is a returning All Area NG.
Jake Derifield is a very underrated DB/WR.
Logan Southers is very valuable in the kicking game.
Excited to see huge Peyton Lowe develop as well as Josh Spillman, Logan Ratliff, Derrick Rakes, and Dalton Runyon.
They will miss several from last season, notably Strickland, Nick Collinsworth, Dougie Hall, Blue Fletcher, Bowens, and Bellomy.
The linchpin to it all is how Talon Pollock progresses at QB. Stud athlete with a live arm and good strength and size.
Should be a very interesting year.
(08-03-2022, 12:13 AM)Bull got out! Wrote: I have to ask, what happened different in the last game between Belfry and the first game last year? Those two scores are alot different.
No doubt LC’s defense played better….I’ll give credit where credits is due.   However….Belfry had there two best Offensive lineman out that game.  That was the biggest reason for the score differential.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-03-2022, 10:21 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
No doubt LC’s defense played better….I’ll give credit where credits is due.   However….Belfry had there two best Offensive lineman out that game.  That was the biggest reason for the score differential.

I was at that game so we will agree to disagree.

The 2nd time any quality team plays Belfry in the same season, with a quality coaching staff, you can bet the game will be much closer. It’s just the way things are because you know what’s coming. It’s not a knock.
@OutlawJoseyWales who were those two linemen?
(08-04-2022, 10:18 AM)Brutus Wrote: @OutlawJoseyWales who were those two linemen?

I alternate between watching Belfry/Pikeville on Fridays, so I watched roughly half of Belfrys games.

Spears, Hensley, Varney, and McCoy was their best linemen, I think all missed some time but I don’t think 2 of them missed that game.
(08-04-2022, 12:49 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(08-04-2022, 10:18 AM)Brutus Wrote: @OutlawJoseyWales who were those two linemen?

I alternate between watching Belfry/Pikeville on Fridays, so I watched roughly half of Belfrys games.

Spears, Hensley,  Varney, and McCoy was their best linemen, I think all missed some time but I don’t think 2 of them missed that game.
Well…..I know that McCoy was out and he was their very best lineman.  If I’m not mistaken Hensley was also injured.  Unfortunately I was limited to watching the game on Hudl, So I could be wrong on Hensley.