Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Bell County Football List
I did this a few tears ago.  It’s time for an update.  

QB-Mark Collett, Derek Jones, Kyle Nelson, Shawnta Zachary, Ben Madon, London Stephney, Cam Burnett 
TB-Phillip Green, Lance Burnett, Reggie Robbins, Scott Chaney, Shawn Robbins, Cory Davenport, Jon Polly, Treyton Humpfleet, Dawson Woolum
FB-Shawn Jones, Joe Smith, Ben Barnett, Jeremy Collett, Kevin Napier, Justin Goodin, Brent Barton, Ethan Raby
TE-Darrin Clark, Tommy Crockett, Eric Ely, John Dudley Hilton (player a lot of FB too), Dylan Cox
WR-Harvey Miracle, Joe McGeorge, Ray Stepp, Shawn Stepp, Buckeye Hunter, Cody Davenport, Jason Jones
OL-Arthur Carter, Jason Green, Brian Crawford, Bert Marcum, Jordan Marcum, Justin Boatright, Brady Patrick, Lane Hoskins (I know I’m forgetting some linemen). 
Athlete: Joel Woods, PJ Burnett, Clint Chedester, Jason Crockett, Matt Ely, Keith Lowe, Matt Raines

I will post defense later.

I am positive I forgot some good choices. So you see any good ones I left off remind me.
Defense:
DL-Joe Smith, Lance Burnett, Robert Muncy, Joe Hammontree, Josh Knuckles, Fred Hoskins, Kevin Napier, Christian Mason, Billy Lawson, Tyler Harbin
LB-Crit Callebs, John David Lefevers, Brandon Coomes, Jeremy Collett, Justin Barton, Brent Barton, John Dudley Hilton, Keith Lowe, Dawson Widener
DB-Harvey Miracle, Derek Jones, Matt Ely, Jason Crockett, Scott Warren, Keith Nelson, Dallas Greer, Trey Harbin, Ben Madon, Shawnta Zachary, Matt Raines, London Stephney
Since the latest dudley era
RB- Frazier & Baker (didn’t finish senior year so IDK but they were 2 of the best)
FB- Dean (most underrated player maybe ever)
OL- Helton, Huff, Lawson (I believe all three received some form of all state honors? third team or honorable mention? 4 year beasts)
DL- Thomas (without doubt, probably all time sack leader if it was counted up)
LB- Bailey (4 year beast)
DB- Langford (led 3a in INTs junior year on way to state)

Not all these names need to be on the greatest list, but some that i didn’t know if you forgot or not from the last couple years
I would agree on RBs before this year. Woolum had a tremendously good season. Better than Baker had played previously. Not really sure on Bailey at LB. It seems like he didn’t play much as a senior. Not sure why. Lots of great recent players.
(02-22-2022, 12:24 AM)ArJay Wrote: I would agree on RBs before this year.  Woolum had a tremendously good season.  Better than Baker had played previously.  Not really sure on Bailey at LB.  It seems like he didn’t play much as a senior.  Not sure why.  Lots of great recent players.
That was the covid year for bailey, had like 3 games cancelled that year back and forth and then had 3 weeks off before the playoffs where he got hurt i believe. Another player got injured in the playoffs that year can’t remember who, but a team can’t go 3 weeks without any meetings or anything and expect to go to rockcastle without injury. Bailey was still a force to be reckon with wherever they put him all four years. As for baker he had 9.1 and 7.8 yards per carry his last two years at bell, woolum had 6.9 this year. Baker played a much more rigorous schedule his second year as well through the covid crap.
Yes, but Baker had a huge experienced O line blocking for him. And as a sophomore lots of attention was given to Stephney. So there were plenty big holes to run through. Woolum was exceptional this past season. Baker was very good too, but I don’t think he got on the field on offense at Corbin. Woolum still has another year.
(02-21-2022, 05:09 PM)ArJay Wrote: I did this a few tears ago.  It’s time for an update.  

QB-Mark Collett, Derek Jones, Kyle Nelson, Shawnta Zachary, Ben Madon, London Stephney, Cam Burnett 
TB-Phillip Green, Lance Burnett, Reggie Robbins, Scott Chaney, Shawn Robbins, Cory Davenport, Jon Polly, Treyton Humpfleet, Dawson Woolum
FB-Shawn Jones, Joe Smith, Ben Barnett, Jeremy Collett, Kevin Napier, Justin Goodin, Brent Barton, Ethan Raby
TE-Darrin Clark, Tommy Crockett, Eric Ely, John Dudley Hilton (player a lot of FB too), Dylan Cox
WR-Harvey Miracle, Joe McGeorge, Ray Stepp, Shawn Stepp, Buckeye Hunter, Cody Davenport, Jason Jones
OL-Arthur Carter, Jason Green, Brian Crawford, Bert Marcum, Jordan Marcum, Justin Boatright, Brady Patrick, Lane Hoskins (I know I’m forgetting some linemen). 
Athlete: Joel Woods, PJ Burnett, Clint Chedester, Jason Crockett, Matt Ely, Keith Lowe, Matt Raines

I will post defense later.

I am positive I forgot some good choices. So you see any good ones I left off remind me.

Don't cry.
Where is Dominic Carton on this list? Boy was absolute stud
Didn’t Arthur Carter make 1st Team All State as an LB?
No Spencer Greer?
I don’t think it’s respectful to take people off the list, but some of the names here have to be on there, like greer and carter for sure.
I do have Carter on there as a lineman. I have no problems adding anyone to this list. I’m wanting to celebrate all the success of our players over the years. Greer was a great back. I should have put him. Another player I left off at TE and LB is Brent Slusher.
Might as well have a book, not a list. When you got years on years of great athletes and players, you can’t sum it up to a list. Bell County has been one of if not the most consistent team in the mountains since the 80s. With one losing season in 35+ years and dozens of 10 win seasons/ district titles. I think Bell county should have a football hall of fame in the endzone of the stadium that has all the records and accomplishments of the teams from the past, rather than the small mural in the lunchroom.
(02-22-2022, 07:23 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Might as well have a book, not a list. When you got years on years of great athletes and players, you can’t sum it up to a list. Bell County has been one of if not the most consistent team in the mountains since the 80s. With one losing season in 35+ years and dozens of 10 win seasons/ district titles. I think Bell county should have a football hall of fame in the endzone of the stadium that has all the records and accomplishments of the teams from the past, rather than the small mural in the lunchroom.

Bell County has had a lot of great players, but really were only successful when Dudley was there. A lot of Bell Co's success has come from the lackluster of teams they typically play in the regular season. Playoffs are different, I am not taking away from the caliber of teams they have had in the past, but historically their district has been mild to moderate and that sets them up to win big numbers of games. 

Again, great athletes have been through Bell High, but have to notice too that they can only win when Dudley is on the Hill.
(02-23-2022, 03:44 PM)BigDawgPrez Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 07:23 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Might as well have a book, not a list. When you got years on years of great athletes and players, you can’t sum it up to a list. Bell County has been one of if not the most consistent team in the mountains since the 80s. With one losing season in 35+ years and dozens of 10 win seasons/ district titles. I think Bell county should have a football hall of fame in the endzone of the stadium that has all the records and accomplishments of the teams from the past, rather than the small mural in the lunchroom.

Bell County has had a lot of great players, but really were only successful when Dudley was there. A lot of Bell Co's success has come from the lackluster of teams they typically play in the regular season. Playoffs are different, I am not taking away from the caliber of teams they have had in the past, but historically their district has been mild to moderate and that sets them up to win big numbers of games. 

Again, great athletes have been through Bell High, but have to notice too that they can only win when Dudley is on the Hill.
Way to be classy.  ?. 
This thread is about celebrating former Bell County football players.  We got the best of Corbin most games through the 90s and 2000s. Since around 2012 Corbin has had a better program. Part of it has been you’ve had great coaching and players and part of it is the Corbin area is growing and with coal mines struggling we have lost so many people in our area.  Coach Greer and Mills both had success at Bell most schools only dream about, but not to the level of Coach Hilton.

Greer and Mills had more than lackluster success but i do agree with you to an extent. The players on the field have talent but have to have development as well, and nobody builds development in the weight room and practice field more than Dudley. A lot of these players wouldn’t have been the player they were if not for Dudley, especially the lineman. Mills won a lot of games  and did well as a coach at bell… BUT HE HAD ONE OF THE BEST TEAMS EVER AND LOST SO MUCH! There hasn’t been many teams with more raw talent than the 2011-14 run, and if dudley is there bell has another ring but mills let the program go downhill from effort, discipline, respect, etc. My most fond Bell memory is driving up to central and freezing to death to watch one of the best backs we ever had in Caldwell not to get the ball. We were more talented than corbin and central in some of those games, and coaching mistakes led to stupid close losses until the talent depleted there for a stretch. But now we don’t have to worry about all that cause corbin hired our problem.
(02-23-2022, 06:35 PM)ArJay Wrote:

Way to be classy.  ?. 
This thread is about celebrating former Bell County football players.  We got the best of Corbin most games through the 90s and 2000s. Since around 2012 Corbin has had a better program. Part of it has been you’ve had great coaching and players and part of it is the Corbin area is growing and with coal mines struggling we have lost so many people in our area.  Coach Greer and Mills both had success at Bell most schools only dream about, but not to the level of Coach Hilton.

I have to agree with you about the coal and jobs. It is taking its toll on most of our Mountain Communities. I remember most of these teams. Thanks for posting about the kids. They don't get enough recognition. I agree most communities need to do this more and celebrate their kids. I like the idea of putting up some kind of recognition about these kids at the field. I think that is a good idea for a lot of programs. Programs wouldn't be anything without the players. Just something I think is Brandon Baker still played there for 3 years, and I think he still needs to be recognized for his contributions for those 3 years. Just my opinion about it. No different than mentioning Greer and Mills as they are current coaches at Corbin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • 606CATS
Baker was a very nice player. I left off a lot of players that were very good, but not sure are top 7 or 8 at their position. Guys like Jamie Smith, Enoch Huff, the Good brothers, Jason Bingham, Matt Howard, and Austin Caldwell are all examples of very good running backs at Bell High.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArJay's post:
  • Bull got out!
(02-22-2022, 12:37 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 12:24 AM)ArJay Wrote: I would agree on RBs before this year.  Woolum had a tremendously good season.  Better than Baker had played previously.  Not really sure on Bailey at LB.  It seems like he didn’t play much as a senior.  Not sure why.  Lots of great recent players.
That was the covid year for bailey, had like 3 games cancelled that year back and forth and then had 3 weeks off before the playoffs where he got hurt i believe. Another player got injured in the playoffs that year can’t remember who, but a team can’t go 3 weeks without any meetings or anything and expect to go to rockcastle without injury. Bailey was still a force to be reckon with wherever they put him all four years. As for baker he had 9.1 and 7.8 yards per carry his last two years at bell, woolum had 6.9 this year. Baker played a much more rigorous schedule his second year as well through the covid crap.
Baker just played in 9 games his last year there they have him playing 10 but was hurt for the last game against Belfry he also shared the ball with 13 other players also he played Ashland JC his last year there ?‍♂️ I’m just stating facts some don’t think he was a running back and some liked him he made me proud and he felt good about what he done it don’t really matter what other people thanks or says.
[-] The following 2 users Like 606CATS's post:
  • Bull got out!, Gridiron_Raid
Baker was a great player. But he wasn’t at Bell for the year he probably could of put up his best numbers. So with the list I have I didn’t think he has as good of a Bell County career as the ones I mentioned. I thought he was a very good RB. I’m not trying to take anything away from him. It sounded like he had a good season at Corbin on defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArJay's post:
  • Bull got out!
Hopefully we can add some names to the All time great list after this year. Some players to watch:
Dawson Woolum
Ethan Raby
Brayden Dunn
Daniel Thomas
Hayden Damron
Blake Evans
Gage Bauer
(02-24-2022, 04:51 PM)ArJay Wrote: Baker was a great player. But he wasn’t at Bell for the year he probably could of put up his best numbers.  So with the list I have I didn’t think he has as good of a Bell County career as the ones I mentioned.  I thought he was a very good RB.  I’m not trying to take anything away from him.  It sounded like he had a good season at Corbin on defense.

He got to run a little bit and you could tell what kind of athlete he was. I really like him. I also remember the year where he complimented Bell in there runner up season. He’s a tank.