Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville 57 Johnson Central 56 (57th District Semi Finals)
JC lead by double digits at one point. Tigers continued to Claw their way to a win! Senior Hyden lit it up from deep! Lady Tigers move onto the 57th District Championship Game!
(02-22-2022, 01:29 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: JC lead by double digits at one point. Tigers continued to Claw their way to a win! Senior Hyden lit it up from deep! Lady Tigers move onto the 57th District Championship Game!
Classic Tommy McKenzie possession of the basketball 6 point  lead 2:00 to go tries to hold  the ball 2 turnovers later Paintsville leads
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bucknut's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(02-22-2022, 02:11 AM)Bucknut Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 01:29 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: JC lead by double digits at one point. Tigers continued to Claw their way to a win! Senior Hyden lit it up from deep! Lady Tigers move onto the 57th District Championship Game!
Classic Tommy McKenzie possession of the basketball 6 point  lead 2:00 to go tries to hold  the ball 2 turnovers later Paintsville leads

I’m not sure if you’ve kept up with any of JC girls basketball this year but to say something about Tommy’s coaching is just not right. He stepped in, had to deal with parents, a not so good team and still should’ve won this game. While trying to game plan for the next night. I would’ve held the ball too but I just don’t think those girls could really handle it as shown all year. I think it just proves how smart of a coach he really is. Hopefully, they get a good girls coach now in the off season.
Kudos to Tommy for stepping in to coach both teams. I realize this game was a loss for him, but considering how many games/tournaments he has won in his career, he'd be the last person I'd critique on Bluegrass Rivals.
Why is he coaching the girls team too? Had to be hard to find the time necessary to be given to both teams to be successful. Kudos to him for trying. I'm sure the teams had to adjust their game schedule so he wouldn't have to miss any games.
When did Darrin Rice step down? The KHSAA page for Johnson Central still has him listed as the head coach.
Congrats to Paintsville. JC played the game of the year for this team, Paintsville didn't stop fighting and pulled off the W.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Creeker's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
Go back and think how many times that has happened. He stops playing to win and and starts playing to try and not lose. 7/10 times it ends in a turnover or missed shot leading to a fast break score. JC had the momentum. If they kept playing the game that they were playing we might have seen a different outcome. Thankfully the stall ball plan started which gave the Tigers a little time to rest and then take off!

(02-22-2022, 02:03 PM)clipperw Wrote: When did Darrin Rice step down? The KHSAA page for Johnson Central still has him listed as the head coach.
At the start. Tommy has coached the girls all season.

(02-22-2022, 10:38 AM)Kentuckyfan52 Wrote:

I’m not sure if you’ve kept up with any of JC girls basketball this year but to say something about Tommy’s coaching is just not right. He stepped in, had to deal with parents, a not so good team and still should’ve won this game. While trying to game plan for the next night. I would’ve held the ball too but I just don’t think those girls could really handle it as shown all year. I think it just proves how smart of a coach he really is. Hopefully, they get a good girls coach now in the off season.
That’s a better way to go about it. Put all the blame on the kids.
Congrats to Paintsville’s team and Les Trimble on the win. They have been the better team all season. It’s going to be a battle for them against Martin County in the championship.

It’s pretty silly to say anything about Tommy’s decision last night. He has been coaching an extremely young team that has struggled all season. They were 6-19 on the season going into last night. They played very well and almost pulled off a large upset. They will be much improved next year with a full time girls coach and another year of experience.
(02-22-2022, 10:38 AM)Kentuckyfan52 Wrote:

Good gesture by the coach but by splitting the coach between the two programs all year, backfired on them. Both teams made early exits in district tournament. Tough to host a district and not be in the championship. Bad ideal to not get a coach when you had plenty of time. Shows the value that is placed on the girls program by the administration.