Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jackson County 69. Clay County 58
Jackson County defeats Clay County 69-58 in the opening round of the 49th district tournament. Jackson county moves to 21-8 on the season. Clay County ends their season with a 6-22 record. Only 1 team in the 13th region finished with a worse record than Clay, Red Bird High School. Red Bird finishes the season 2-24.
Clay county fall off is the craziest thing i have ever seen. Hopefully they got pieces to build for the future. Has clay ever had a season of 6 wins?
Pretty consistent in all three games these teams played this season. Jackson won each by about the same margin. Sad season for the Tigers. They play hard but the talent is lacking.
Has to be worst season in Clay Co history

Football team had more wins than basketball did

Did clay start 5 middle school kids or what was the actual problem
Who would’ve ever thought Clay would have more wins in football than basketball. Is it the coaching? the talent drop? the talent drop cause the coaching? IDK something needs to be done.

Anyways, Go Jackson Co!! This team is pretty good and works hard! Have fun in the region
(02-23-2022, 12:21 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Who would’ve ever thought Clay would have more wins in football than basketball. Is it the coaching? the talent drop? the talent drop cause the coaching? IDK something needs to be done.

Anyways, Go Jackson Co!! This team is pretty good and works hard! Have fun in the region
Mike Kryzewski wouldn't have won much more than six if coaching Clay this season. Just not enough talent. In the games I watched, the Clay kids played hard until the end but just lacking in talent this year. It can only get better from here...right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Spoozer12
Zero against the Clay coach, great guy, excellent business man, but this coaching experiment hasn't worked, it's time to holster egos and make decisions, the Clay kids, parents and fans deserve better. Don't give me the young team whining, these kids are amazing athletes, I've watched them since middle school, they should have been put in a better place to have won more than 6 games........Six.....six..... only one team finished with less in the 13th.
If you have coached in the program for 7 years and missed the region now 3 times…. It’s the coaching. The program has fallen to this. Worst team in clay history, worst coach in clay history. Period. Mark and tanner will have their work cut out for them explaining yet another year. I know what they will say. “We are young”. Yes you are young, but this coach ain’t doing nothing as he has shown you from the past with young players. Ridiculous. No excuse. Middle school won runner up in state. Get Jason Hibbard in now so he can have a chance. He works with marcum and they are good friends. Marcum could show him the ropes. I never see marcum at the games and that’s a shame. Gray has to get out of the way. Sexton you have the worst sports program in history. Mark, he is your boss, but when you gonna admit gray ain’t the man. Just solid truths and sorry fellas, u messed up several years ago. Time to admit it and move on. Hibbard can coach. I watched his jv team work some miracles this year. Just my opinion, figure what the heck, can’t get no worse then gray. And this team 6 and 21. No way, players much better than that. Not great talent, but 6 and 21. Unbelievable. Sad to say, but if you a player you are part of the worst team ever assembled in clay county history. I hate it for them because they had no coaching to change that.
Hopefully Robert Marcum had a nice relaxing drink last night.
Hire new coaches at the High School and the Middle School. The ones they have now may be fine but they need to try something new.
Gray could be the worst coach in the state of Kentucky. People can defend him all they want and make excuses all they want but the results won't lie. Yes he took a middle school state tournament championship team and beat a couple of good teams no one can argue with that. During his 5 year stint Gray has failed to make the Regional tournament 3 times. He does have 1 district title, but remember he did this with a middle school championship team. He has lost the last 2 district tournaments on his home floor. He has never even coached his team to a regional final. He has lost to Jackson County more in this 5 year stint than all Clay's other coaches combined. Last nights game showed once again he can't coach. He switched defenses for whatever reason going into the 4th and Jackson got to the rim every time. If Harris didn't protect the rim and block it then they shot a lay up......however if you look at Gray's track record any coach would have known what he was going to do. He has a history of doing the same stuff over and over and never making any type of adjustments when things start going bad. Everyone in Clay County knows what the real problem in and only outsiders or people in his political bubble protects him. Lose the pride Gray, step down and let someone else have their shot. I just hope that the powers will do the right thing and put in a coach and not a puppet......but they don't have a good track record at that either.

(02-23-2022, 10:19 AM)jamesclay Wrote: Hopefully Robert Marcum had a nice relaxing drink last night.
If that is the case then Marcum has had a lot of relaxing drinking nights in the past 5 years.  I know Marcum and have talked to him a few times since he stepped down and he still cares for the program.  I've even heard he sits down with Hibbard (JV coach) and helps him out and gives him advice......and well I think the JV won a heck of a lot more games than the varsity this year and even had to move up 2-3 of his JV players half way during the year.  He would never come back to coach with this administration in office, but he does care about the kids.
Mind blowing how far this program has fell. Three years ago and on, this was the team to beat every single year. It wasn’t that long ago that every team in the region circled this game on the calendar as a shot to knock off the tigers. Now everyone could care less about this team. Some changes have to be made. Missing region is one thing, but 6-22 is unacceptable for a program with the history of the clay county tigers. How many region banners hang in that gym? How many district titles? How many consecutive winning seasons? A whole hell of a lot…
(02-23-2022, 01:03 AM)Tigerman1969 Wrote: If you have coached in the program for 7 years and missed the region now 3 times….  It’s the coaching.  The program has fallen to this.  Worst team in clay history, worst coach in clay history.  Period.  Mark and tanner will have their work cut out for them explaining yet another year.  I know what they will say. “We are young”.  Yes you are young, but this coach ain’t doing nothing as he has shown you from the past with young players.  Ridiculous.  No excuse.  Middle school won runner up in state.  Get Jason Hibbard in now so he can have a chance.  He works with marcum and they are good friends.  Marcum could show him the ropes.  I never see marcum at the games and that’s a shame.  Gray has to get out of the way.  Sexton you have the worst sports program in history.  Mark, he is your boss, but when you gonna admit gray ain’t the man.  Just solid truths and sorry fellas, u messed up several years ago.  Time to admit it and move on.  Hibbard can coach.  I watched his jv team work some miracles this year.  Just my opinion, figure what the heck,  can’t get no worse then gray.  And this team 6 and 21.  No way, players much better than that.  Not great talent, but 6 and 21.  Unbelievable.  Sad to say, but if you a player you are part of the worst team ever assembled in clay county history.  I hate it for them because they had no coaching to change that.

The truth will set you free......I believe you said it very well.
#runitintotheground
#markandtannerlol
#boycotttheenterprise
#ricoact
#dontbeheldhostagebyidiots
news story - flash -

Gray is thanked by the school board for all he's done this year. Is given a 7 year extension and a pay raise for next season.

on a serious note - and yes I am going to scream

HOW THE HELL IS THIS ACCEPTABLE FOR CLAY TO NOT EVEN WIN IN THE DISTRICT OR GET TO THE REGION. Coach Keith is just rolling in his grave. The great one is most unhappy in the after life.
(02-23-2022, 09:46 PM)cadets1988 Wrote: news story - flash -

Gray is thanked by the school board for all he's done this year.  Is given a 7 year extension and a pay raise for next season.

on a serious note - and yes I am going to scream

HOW THE HELL IS THIS ACCEPTABLE FOR CLAY TO NOT EVEN WIN IN THE DISTRICT OR GET TO THE REGION.    Coach Keith is just rolling in his grave.  The great one is most unhappy in the after life.

People have been saying the same thing for a number of years, while others have sat back and allowed it to happen. Now those people have decided to speak. ITS TOO LATE!! There are those who think a jv coach or the middle school guru can save the program. Until someone, a real coach is hired, nothing will change. The same goes for the girls job and the football program. It's always about politics in CC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BUFFALO's post:
  • NorthsidetilIdie
Coach gray. 6 years. 2 district titles. 3 years didn’t even make it to region. I think ONE region win. This administration wanted that. Lol. You guys are fools. This is clay county basketball we are talking about people. Hard to comprehend. You cannot make a grade school coach a high school coach with just having good players. He was loaded 4 of these 6 years. Clay countians how we put up with this? Do we not care? Jason Hibbard can do the job. Gray, step down. Save yourself the heartache, and do the town a favor. Go back to grade school. You have a better chance of winning a championship that way.
(02-22-2022, 11:53 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Clay county fall off is the craziest thing i have ever seen. Hopefully they got pieces to build for the future. Has clay ever had a season of 6 wins?
It won't get any better until they clear the upper bench and hire a coach who knows the game and who can actually coach.  They (the administration) has gotten exactly what they wanted.
(02-23-2022, 12:21 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Who would’ve ever thought Clay would have more wins in football than basketball. Is it the coaching? the talent drop? the talent drop cause the coaching? IDK something needs to be done.

Its the coach.  A great coach can work with the players, regardless of talent.
(02-23-2022, 01:03 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Zero against the Clay coach, great guy, excellent business man, but this coaching experiment hasn't worked, it's time to holster egos and make decisions, the Clay kids, parents and fans deserve better.  Don't give me the young team whining, these kids are amazing athletes, I've watched them since middle school, they should have been put in a better place to have won more than 6 games........Six.....six..... only one team finished with less in the 13th.
Agree.  A good coach could have gotten the best out of them.  You can't maintain a winning program by embracing mediocracy and you can't keep your friend in a job they can't succeed at.
(02-23-2022, 10:47 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote: Gray could be the worst coach in the state of Kentucky.  People can defend him all they want and make excuses all they want but the results won't lie.  Yes he took a middle school state tournament championship team and beat a couple of good teams no one can argue with that.  During his 5 year stint Gray has failed to make the Regional tournament 3 times.  He does have 1 district title, but remember he did this with a middle school championship team.  He has lost the last 2 district tournaments on his home floor.  He has never even coached his team to a regional final.  He has lost to Jackson County more in this 5 year stint than all Clay's other coaches combined.  Last nights game showed once again he can't coach.  He switched defenses for whatever reason going into the 4th and Jackson got to the rim every time.  If Harris didn't protect the rim and block it then they shot a lay up......however if you look at Gray's track record any coach would have known what he was going to do.  He has a history of doing the same stuff over and over and never making any type of adjustments when things start going bad.  Everyone in Clay County knows what the real problem in and only outsiders or people in his political bubble protects him.  Lose the pride Gray, step down and let someone else have their shot.  I just hope that the powers will do the right thing and put in a coach and not a puppet......but they don't have a good track record at that either.

(02-23-2022, 10:19 AM)jamesclay Wrote: Hopefully Robert Marcum had a nice relaxing drink last night.
If that is the case then Marcum has had a lot of relaxing drinking nights in the past 5 years.  I know Marcum and have talked to him a few times since he stepped down and he still cares for the program.  I've even heard he sits down with Hibbard (JV coach) and helps him out and gives him advice......and well I think the JV won a heck of a lot more games than the varsity this year and even had to move up 2-3 of his JV players half way during the year.  He would never come back to coach with this administration in office, but he does care about the kids.
But they want a puppet, that is the problem.  They had a good coach in Robert Marcum, but they couldn't completely control him so they decided his countless wins, 6 District titles, 5 Regional finals games, and two State tournaments appearances weren't good enough for them and forced him out.  They are reaping what they sowed.  The grass sure wasn't greener, was it?
FYIW.... I think sports and healthy happy proud students & citizens is way down on the list of priorities for the Clay leadership, I'm yet to see anyone rise in opposition or demand change, folks can complain and whine in anonymity on message boards until you know where freezes over, and for that reason there'll be no change, some are even on social media talking about how proud they are, elections are coming, lets see what you got citizens of Clay, change starts by the choices you'll make when you click those ballots.
(02-24-2022, 01:13 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: FYIW.... I think sports and healthy happy proud students & citizens is way down on the list of priorities for the Clay leadership, I'm yet to see anyone rise in opposition or demand change, folks can complain and whine in anonymity on message boards until you know where freezes over, and for that reason there'll be no change, some are even on social media talking about how proud they are, elections are coming, lets see what you got citizens of Clay, change starts by the choices you'll make when you click those ballots.
 School boards and politicians are all about two things money and power. Always keep that in mind. Sports, kids are not high on the list of priorities.
(02-23-2022, 10:47 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote: Gray could be the worst coach in the state of Kentucky.  People can defend him all they want and make excuses all they want but the results won't lie.  Yes he took a middle school state tournament championship team and beat a couple of good teams no one can argue with that.  During his 5 year stint Gray has failed to make the Regional tournament 3 times.  He does have 1 district title, but remember he did this with a middle school championship team.  He has lost the last 2 district tournaments on his home floor.  He has never even coached his team to a regional final.  He has lost to Jackson County more in this 5 year stint than all Clay's other coaches combined.  Last nights game showed once again he can't coach.  He switched defenses for whatever reason going into the 4th and Jackson got to the rim every time.  If Harris didn't protect the rim and block it then they shot a lay up......however if you look at Gray's track record any coach would have known what he was going to do.  He has a history of doing the same stuff over and over and never making any type of adjustments when things start going bad.  Everyone in Clay County knows what the real problem in and only outsiders or people in his political bubble protects him.  Lose the pride Gray, step down and let someone else have their shot.  I just hope that the powers will do the right thing and put in a coach and not a puppet......but they don't have a good track record at that either.

And you could have the least knowledgeable basketball mind in the state of Kentucky if you think that. In fact, someone need to nominate you for that dubious award.  Wasn't it just three seasons or so ago that Gray had his Tigers off to a 16-0 start? That season included wins over a 30-win Knox Central team, Lexington Catholic,  a good Boyle County team and a really good Huntington(WV) Prep team,  Pulaski County, a terrific Mercer County team with a Mr. Basketball  candidate , North Laurel , and two wins over a 20-win Harlan team. They also beat Corbin to win the CFIT.  The only reason this team didn't win the region is because the Tigers lost a close game at North Laurel in the opening round of the district to a 23-win Jaguar team. If they had beaten the Jags, they win the region that year, in my opinion.

Now, let's turn to the following season.  They beat a damn good North Laurel team THREE times, including the championship of the 49th district.  They beat a crazy good Knoxville Catholic team(same team that had beaten Corbin by 30) that had three D-I starters. Coach Gray accomplished something I had never seen before. He shut out Knoxville Catholic in the 4th quarter to come from behind and pull off the big upset. The Tigers soundly beat Scott County and a 25-win Knox Central team at Knox. They also beat an outstanding 28-win South Laurel team and had a very close two-point loss to Trinity at Louisville. If that wasn't enough , Coach Gray and his Tigers took #1 ranked John Hardin to the wire before finally falling in the championship of the CFIT. The only reason they didn't win the region that season was because of a close loss to a Harlan County team that caught fire late in the season and was playing extremely well.

I'm sorry, but these games are not from the resume of the "worst coach in the state of Kentucky." That is as ignorant a statement as I've ever read on a sports message board. Glenn Gray can coach the game of basketball. Reread the two paragraphs above if you are still not convinced. And let me say this. When Gray was recording all of these impressive wins, he was not blessed with great talent. He had some nice talent, some good players, maybe even a couple of really good players,  but no where near the talent that Hicks had at Scott County or Keith had back in the day with guys like Richie Farmer, Russ Farmer, Russ Chadwell, Shannon Hoskins, etc...

Please just stop the insanity about Glenn Gray not being able to coach. You can bring up other things like politics or socioeconomic factors as to why Clay has fallen on hard times but your argument is just plain weak if you say it's because Glenn Gray is a bad coach. That's just not the case, as I have outlined.  Pissed off Manchesterites  need to come up with something better than that.
#blindsquirrelsfindnutstoo
#onestepforward3stepsback
#oldschoolhound=bloodhoundonclaygames
#hmmm
#verydefensive
#wingamesthatpeoplewillremembercoachgray
(02-24-2022, 12:48 AM)NorthsidetilIdie Wrote:

Its the coach.  A great coach can work with the players, regardless of talent.
You think the great Mike Kryzewski could have won much more than six games with this dastardly assemblage of basketball non-talent? No way, Coach K! Gray did the next best thing. He had his guys playing hard right to the end of each game. They gave it all they had each time out.  Then they lined up, looked their opponents in the face and shook their hands like true sportsmen. That's not something that has always been seen at Clay.  Gray is a good representative of CCHS.

I don't know about the political climate in Manchester or what all goes on behind the scenes but maybe, just maybe, the people in charge now are concerned as much with how young men perform in the classroom and how they represent the school as they are with wins and losses. When it's all said and done, a win is just a win, but a kid needs to become a productive citizen. Maybe over in Manchester, after decades of trying to win at all costs, the decision makers at Clay County have had a grand epiphany that well-rounded kids make the best citizens. And maybe well-rounded kids , even if they have to sacrifice winning some games, will avoid federal prisons.
Ego’s and bad decisions that come with them will set a program back decades

Signed,

Corbin football
[-] The following 2 users Like Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!, Old School Hound
(02-24-2022, 07:34 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Ego’s and bad decisions that come with them will set a program back decades

Signed,

Corbin football

Corbin may not have as poor of a win-loss percentage in football as Clay in basketball but their leadership, or lack there of, is likely going to have greater negative long-term ramifications than will ever be seen in Manchester. The Tigers will be back and competing for regions again eventually but, in Corbin, they won't be able to count on one hand the number of state titles they forfeited by running off one of the state's best coaches in favor of a Hilton flunkie who will probably never sniff a title. The situation at Corbin is a hot, damned, mess of epic proportions as a result of coaches(and administrators) who put their own agendas ahead of what's best for the program and the kids who sacrifice their precious HS years and bodies to play for the Redhounds.  What a travesty!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Bull got out!
Don't worry fans, everything will be set straight/explained in next weeks Manchester Enterprise, how John Wooden & Adolph Rupp would have been lucky to have won 6 games with the athletes Clay had.

If I were a player or parent I'd be offended by the accusations in those statements, point blank placing blame on the kids.

OBI just hired a new coach, coaching in his very first season, add to that OBI didn't even have a team to play a game last year, and only met when school started and won 16 games. Wrap your head around that little fact.
(02-25-2022, 12:22 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Don't worry fans, everything will be set straight/explained in next weeks Manchester Enterprise, how John Wooden & Adolph Rupp would have been lucky to have won 6 games with the athletes Clay had. 

If I were a player or parent I'd be offended by the accusations in those statements, point blank placing blame on the kids. 

OBI just hired a new coach, coaching in his very first season, add to that OBI didn't even have a team to play a game last year, and only met when school started and won 16 games.  Wrap your head around that little fact.

I like that coach OBI has now!

I watched this game online. I really liked the Hayden Harris kid. He looks like the real deal Holyfield IMO. I like when a kid can take and slam a jammer at will. When I saw that I really thought how high his ceiling is. You just don't see kids with that kind of talent every day. Kid is a baller and only going to get better and better.