Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region re-draw
The KHSAA has informed the 14th region that they will have to draw again. You can’t draw for region before all district tournaments in the region are completed.
Well how draw for the state tourney so soon?
(02-24-2022, 08:19 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Well how draw for the state tourney so soon?
Because you can lose a district championship on purpose to get a better draw in the region if you know the brackets but you can't lose and get in the state tourney.
Yeah true.
Letcher/Powell
Wolfe/Perry

Owsley/Knott
Leslie/Breathitt

Not sure on dates and times but this is the pairings.
Owsley vs Knott will be a barn burner. I look for Perry vs Wolfe to be a good game to. Powell could give LCC a good game but it will be tuff. Leslie should handle Breathitt pretty easily.
Owsley vs Knott could be best game in tournament. I will take Knott! Wolf has little shot at beating Perry at Perry. Powell has a punchers shot at beating Letcher and Leslie will handle Brethitt with no problem. I’m gonna take Letcher vs Leslie in finals
I’m gonna say Knott vs LCC in the finals. Knott probably go again.
(02-26-2022, 01:27 AM)WWW Wrote: Owsley vs Knott could be best game in tournament. I will take Knott! Wolf has little shot at beating Perry at Perry. Powell has a punchers shot at beating Letcher and Leslie will handle Brethitt with no problem. I’m gonna take Letcher vs Leslie in finals

I’m pretty sure Wolfe had more than a little chance to beat Perry. 
And definitely more of a chance than Powell had to beat Letcher.
(02-26-2022, 12:50 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I’m gonna say Knott vs LCC in the finals.  Knott probably go again.
So much for that
So much for that….. Good job Owls. Glad to see them beat Knott.
I thought Wolfe's performance against Perry playing the whole game with only 5 players was one of the best efforts I've seen in a long time in the regional tournament. Perry needed everything they had with some help from Wolfe to get the win. Coach Brown had a great game plan and his team played really good halfcourt defense the whole game. The lady wolves should be very proud of their effort, Perry will have to play a lot better to have a chance against Letcher.
Perry has played about as bad as a team can play the past 3 games I’ve saw them play. Can’t say it was because any teams performance that they played against. Shooting has been flat out awful. They seem to of been a good shooting team all season long. Maybe the team will show back up against Letcher. Maybe the shot clock will help next year if they play a team that plays keep away next season. But it was a good game plan from Coach Brown.

Leslie is playing really well. I look for them to beat Owsley.
Not sure what shot clock you’re talking about. I don’t think KHSAA has adopted a shot clock.
Have heard they are gonna try shot clock next season. But who knows if KHSAA will do it.
Can’t see many schools being in favor of the expense of the clocks and an additional person at the score table.
Khsaa has no immediate plans for shot clock and agree Facts...hard enough to find someone for book and timer spots.
Good point UK but I did hear they may try it. Not just making it up.
Duke the NFHS has been pushing it for many years. I don't think if it goes to a KHSAA delegate vote that it will pass.
(02-28-2022, 10:17 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Perry has played about as bad as a team can play the past 3 games I’ve saw them play.  Can’t say it was because any teams performance that they played against.  Shooting has been flat out awful.  They seem to of been a good shooting team all season long.  Maybe the team will show back up against Letcher.  Maybe the shot clock will help next year if they play a team that plays keep away next season.  But it was a good game plan from Coach Brown.

Leslie is playing really well.  I look for them to beat Owsley.
Owsley and Leslie played about 3 weeks ago. It was a back and forth game the whole way with neither team leading by more than 3 or 4 points. Leslie finally won by 2, 51-49.
So this game will most likely be similar. Owsley has defeated Leslie in the region first round games two years in a row. I expect tonight’s game will be a close one and in the toss up category. Leslie has more size and depth. Owsley might have a slight edge in guard play.
Should be a good game with two good coaches. 
Coach Smith played for Coach Sparks when he coached at Owsley in the 1990’s.
(03-01-2022, 12:23 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(02-28-2022, 10:17 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Perry has played about as bad as a team can play the past 3 games I’ve saw them play.  Can’t say it was because any teams performance that they played against.  Shooting has been flat out awful.  They seem to of been a good shooting team all season long.  Maybe the team will show back up against Letcher.  Maybe the shot clock will help next year if they play a team that plays keep away next season.  But it was a good game plan from Coach Brown.

Leslie is playing really well.  I look for them to beat Owsley.
Owsley and Leslie played about 3 weeks ago. It was a back and forth game the whole way with neither team leading by more than 3 or 4 points. Leslie finally won by 2, 51-49.
So this game will most likely be similar. Owsley has defeated Leslie in the region first round games two years in a row. I expect tonight’s game will be a close one and in the toss up category. Leslie has more size and depth. Owsley might have a slight edge in guard play.
Should be a good game with two good coaches. 
Coach Smith played for Coach Sparks when he coached at Owsley in the 1990’s.

Would love to see Owsley win this one and have a chance to play for the 14th Region Championship.
I though Coach Brown had a great game plan with only 5 players why wouldn't you stall rest and prevent roul trouble Best coach in the region.
I humbly have to disagree. Winners win. That’s how I determine the best coach. How many region titles does Brown have? Just curious. Really don’t know.
(09-07-2022, 12:17 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: I humbly have to disagree.  Winners win.  That’s how I determine the best coach.  How many region titles does Brown have?  Just curious.  Really don’t know.
Coaching no doubt plays a huge part of winning titles but you still have to have the talent to do it. And in most years the bigger schools will have more of that talent than the smaller schools. Occasionally the smaller schools put together very good teams, though, but just not as often. 
Now, with that said, one has to know what to do with the talent they have, but across the state I have seen some very average coaches win multiple regions riding the crest of a talent advantage, as well as larger assistant coaching staff numbers, that sheer enrollment numbers and more faculty provide. Just my opinion.
No matter the size of the school, you have to develop a tight knit feeder program from the elementary/middle schools. Have to put so much time in. Have to have good aau program and keep your players active. To be really good, you have to put the time in. Can’t wait till start that in high school. Starts about 2nd grade. Takes a lot of quality people coaching with the same goals in mind.
(09-08-2022, 10:56 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: No matter the size of the school, you have to develop a tight knit feeder program from the elementary/middle schools.  Have to put so much time in.  Have to have good aau program and keep your players active.  To be really good, you have to put the time in.  Can’t wait till start that in high school.  Starts about 2nd grade.  Takes a lot of quality people coaching with the same goals in mind.
I agree. Regardless of the school
size to have a competitive program you still have to work at it and have a good feeder system.
Evaluating coaches simply by how many games they’ve won or even worse how many regions they’ve won, is ridiculous . Its even more ridiculous at the high school level. Most of the coaches people consider the best ,have bounced around until they find the best situation ie (talent, pool of players, resources, And possibility for recruiting). Typically a really good coach will not stay at a place like Jackson city because they know they don’t have the resources to win regardless of what they do with the coach.. which is not a slam on Jackson city ,it’s the sheer numbers
Winners win. Nobody remembers who came in 17th place but they had a good coach. Just cold hard truth.
(09-12-2022, 11:06 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Winners win.  Nobody remembers who came in 17th place but they had a good coach.  Just cold hard truth.
Do you think a reincarnated Red Arurbach could win a state championship at Jackson City, Jenkins, Owsley, Menifee or other small enrollment schools with home grown talent? He’s a “winner”, coached the Celtics to 11 NBA titles. He should be able to win anywhere at any level.
Well Lookayannar, I think it would take a really long time to develop a championship caliber team at Jackson City but yes it can be done. Especially at the ALL A level. You know if KY wasn’t so SPECIAL we’d have a class system in basketball. Probably not enough people at JC to help ole Red at all those different grade levels and probably not enough people ALL IN. Every time a kid farts they wanna transfer and leave. Haha. Just takes so much time, work, and some loyalty. Not some of the good qualities in the 14th region. Most here want instant success without the hard work and some failure along the the way.