Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(14) Florida - 45 (8) Kentucky - 37
I believe they had him back there a couple of times yesterday Redneck, just the ball was never kicked to him. Every game Dickey Lyons reminds be of another great #12 in the blue and white, Derrick Abney.
Redneck Wrote:Speakin of Locke, he needs to be returnin kicks.
for sure!
alfus21 Wrote:I can't name one that would have made that call, and you can't name one that wouldn't have made that call. Many coaches try this sort of thing in big games at home. You're crazy if you don't think that no other coach would do that. It's done all the time.

Flynn is not faster than Tebow. He ran for 53 yards against UK, Tebow ran for 78.

Tebow has 578 rushing yards on the year.
Flynn has 138.

Tebow is much faster and better than Flynn.

And if you don't like the coaching staff, please and I mean please jump off the bandwagon right now.

I could start naming now, but that would take a while. Give me one example, same situation, when a coach has made that decision. Tebow's 40 time is 4.58 and Flynn's is 4.59, Tebow's average per carry was 3.9, Flynn's was 5.3, obviously a little more effective so I wouldn't say much better. Tebow's advantage is his heart and leadership ability which Flynn lacked. I think coach Brooks has done a great job turning this program around, I just question a few of his decisions. Kentucky has averaged 28.8 PA, has to tell you something. Jump off the "Bandwagon"? I wouldn't consider Kentucky a bandwagon team, I've only rooted for them since I was born and I go to school at UK, so I don't see how I'm a bandwagoner.
blackcat Wrote:I could start naming now, but that would take a while. Give me one example, same situation, when a coach has made that decision. Tebow's 40 time is 4.58 and Flynn's is 4.59, Tebow's average per carry was 3.9, Flynn's was 5.3, obviously a little more effective so I wouldn't say much better. Tebow's advantage is his heart and leadership ability which Flynn lacked. I think coach Brooks has done a great job turning this program around, I just question a few of his decisions. Kentucky has averaged 28.8 PA, has to tell you something. Jump off the "Bandwagon"? I wouldn't consider Kentucky a bandwagon team, I've only rooted for them since I was born and I go to school at UK, so I don't see how I'm a bandwagoner.

I'm sure it has been done many times. You are one of the few fans disgruntled with it. Over the 7 scoring drives led by Florida that was the only one in which we held them to a FG. It didn't hurt UK at all. We weren't stopping them anyways. It didn't lead to a TD. The play call was right, the kick was right, but the execution on the recover wasn't. Nobody from Florida was within 10 yards of that ball. I'd love to see what tune you'd be singing if we'd have recovered that.

All I'll say about who the better running QB is, is to look at the season stats. That's all I'm saying and need to say on that.

Bandwagon? A bandwagon fan is a person that is nowhere to be seen when a team is losing, but everywhere when they are winning. Kentucky Football is the epitome of bandwagon fans. Last year people couldn't give tickets away, even when they were winning. The Georgia game wasn't even close to a sale out, no game last season was. This year fans are paying up to 500 bucks a ticket. Fans who sit through thick and thin aren't bandwagoners, those who come in a winning season only are. Maybe you aren't one, but don't say Kentucky doesn't have its fair share.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Just as I said in the Prediction thread.

The refs were a little edgy though.
blackcat Wrote:Obviously they made a lot of wrong calls, we lost. Name one coach in College Football that would have kicked an onside, there wouldn't be any. You just don't do it, give your defense a chance. With the field goal, it would be understandable with 4th and 3 or something, but 4th and 9... if he would have missed it's the same outcome. LSU doesn't have a mobile QB? Flynn ran for just as many important yards as Tebow did and I know his speed is much better than Tebow's. And Florida does have so many talented players, but simply giving Tebow so much time only allows them to break free, think about it. Joker Phillips did a great job, my hat is off to him, but the rest of the coaching staff I just don't know about.

I have to agree with Beef and Alfus here, you're way off base. Just because we lost, somehow that means that "obviously our coaches made a lot of wrong calls"? That makes no sense at all. They can't get out there and tackle on defense or protect Woodson on offense, now can they? It's the coaches' job to prepare the team to win and make proper decisions during the game, and for the most part they did.

As for the onside kick, it was not a bad decision, especially since it completely caught Florida off-guard. If the ball had been recovered 6 inches farther, it would've been a game-changing play. Give our defense a chance? To do what, allow another touchdown? Our defense hardly stopped the Gators all day, which makes the onside kick even more of a great call. If we get it, we get a free possession. If not, oh well, they were probably going to march down and score anyway.

Finally, going for it on 4th and 9 was absolutely the right call. Seiber had already missed from 48 yards earlier (with the wind), so why would you attempt another FG from about the same distance, this time against the wind? That would've had a very poor chance of going through. As it turns out, on that 4th down play, we had a receiver wide-open in the endzone for a touchdown, but Woodson just missed him. So, the reason why that play failed wasn't poor coaching, it was poor execution.

Bottom line, Rich Brooks didn't lose this game. A very porous defense, and a couple of bad passes at inopportune times did.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thanks Alfus, was you at the game Sat, didnt see ya lol..
alfus21 Wrote:I'm sure it has been done many times. You are one of the few fans disgruntled with it. Over the 7 scoring drives led by Florida that was the only one in which we held them to a FG. It didn't hurt UK at all. We weren't stopping them anyways. It didn't lead to a TD. The play call was right, the kick was right, but the execution on the recover wasn't. Nobody from Florida was within 10 yards of that ball. I'd love to see what tune you'd be singing if we'd have recovered that.

All I'll say about who the better running QB is, is to look at the season stats. That's all I'm saying and need to say on that.

Bandwagon? A bandwagon fan is a person that is nowhere to be seen when a team is losing, but everywhere when they are winning. Kentucky Football is the epitome of bandwagon fans. Last year people couldn't give tickets away, even when they were winning. The Georgia game wasn't even close to a sale out, no game last season was. This year fans are paying up to 500 bucks a ticket. Fans who sit through thick and thin aren't bandwagoners, those who come in a winning season only are. Maybe you aren't one, but don't say Kentucky doesn't have its fair share.

You have your opinion, I have mine. I even told my roommate after they kicked it, either way get it or don't, I think it was a bad call and the same thing on the 4th down. Once again, I'm not dogging Brooks at all, I think he has done a great job turning the program around, but lets check back in 4-5 years and see where we are. I never said Flynn was a better runner, but he is just as fast, and ran very effectively against us. Kentucky does has its fair share, which is so sad. I've probably been to over 50 Kentucky sporting events, so I definitely do not fit under that category.

More Cowbell,
It is Mike Archer's job, which he is paid good money to do, to devise a defensive game plan. Allowing 28.8 points a game isn't so good. I realize that Florida could possibly have the best offense in the nation, but not putting pressure on Tebow just doesn't make sense to me. I happened to be looking at the flags on the goal post at the time of the 4th down, thinking it wasn't a good decision, but the flags were almost still. Seiber has a good enough leg to make it from 50 yards, let him kick it. It would have turned out the same if he missed it anyway.
blackcat Wrote:More Cowbell,
It is Mike Archer's job, which he is paid good money to do, to devise a defensive game plan. Allowing 28.8 points a game isn't so good. I realize that Florida could possibly have the best offense in the nation, but not putting pressure on Tebow just doesn't make sense to me. I happened to be looking at the flags on the goal post at the time of the 4th down, thinking it wasn't a good decision, but the flags were almost still. Seiber has a good enough leg to make it from 50 yards, let him kick it. It would have turned out the same if he missed it anyway.
Mike Archer's job? Smile You better be glad it wasn't his job or you could have kissed about 4 wins from this season away. Might want to check your coaching staff, but Steve Brown is in charge of the Defense and has done a good job this season.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat Wrote:Tebow's 40 time is 4.58 and Flynn's is 4.59, Tebow's average per carry was 3.9, Flynn's was 5.3, obviously a little more effective so I wouldn't say much better.

There's a HUGE difference man. Tebow run's the ball cause the offense is designed for him to run the ball. UK knew he was gonna run the ball. Flynn got his yards scramblin when UK was defendin the pass. They weren't lookin for him to run.
Beef Wrote:Mike Archer's job? Smile You better be glad it wasn't his job or you could have kissed about 4 wins from this season away. Might want to check your coaching staff, but Steve Brown is in charge of the Defense and has done a good job this season.

It is Steve Brown, had no idea they made the change. Never the less, I woudn't consider 28.8 points a game a good job.
Redneck Wrote:There's a HUGE difference man. Tebow run's the ball cause the offense is designed for him to run the ball. UK knew he was gonna run the ball. Flynn got his yards scramblin when UK was defendin the pass. They weren't lookin for him to run.

Therefore, being more effective.
The bottom line is that Florida had two weeks to prepare for Kentucky, while the Cats were battling a bruising LSU team for three overtimes. Anyone could see that Florida had the fresher legs. Florida had everything going for them. They had lost two in a row, and had two weeks to prepare, while the Cats were in a real fight last week. But the Cats are for real, they battled two of the best teams in the country toe to toe.
uk should have won this one, we will get them back for the SEC east championship!!!
i thought UK was going to pull it off. but no one done their job. Andre Woodson done great. Keenan Burton didn't do much. But i look for UK to turn everything around at the end of the season.
blackcat Wrote:It is Mike Archer's job, which he is paid good money to do, to devise a defensive game plan. Allowing 28.8 points a game isn't so good. I realize that Florida could possibly have the best offense in the nation, but not putting pressure on Tebow just doesn't make sense to me. I happened to be looking at the flags on the goal post at the time of the 4th down, thinking it wasn't a good decision, but the flags were almost still. Seiber has a good enough leg to make it from 50 yards, let him kick it. It would have turned out the same if he missed it anyway.

I'm not even going to mention the Mike Archer mistake, since Beef already corrected you. But I will say that if you have watched UK football in recent years, you have to recognize that Steve Brown definitely has the defense playing better than in recent years (under Archer). Also, to say the UK defense has allowed 28.8 points per game is not true. The team may be allowing that much (28.75, to be exact), but that stat also includes points scored by the other teams' defense and kick return units. Taking those scores out (2 kick returns, 3 fumble returns, 1 safety) cuts the average allowed by the defense to 24.1 ppg. Also, LSU scored 10 points in overtime, which is set up with the offense already being in position for a field goal without even moving a yard. If you consider their scoring defense in regulation, the average is 22.9 ppg. Not amazing, but not terrible either.

Additionally, I will say again that the 4th down decision to go for it was the right call. Check Seiber's history, I can't remember him making hardly any kicks from that distance for UK in the past. I didn't think the first kick had much of a chance to go in, but we were like 4th and 25 at the time, which would've been a hard conversion to pull off. On the other hand, the play we're talking about was just 4th and 9, which is a much easier conversion to make. And again, the play call was excellent, we had a wide-open Keenan Burton in the end zone, Woodson just missed him. You mention "it would've turned out the same if he missed it anyway", but that assumes that the conversion had no chance of succeeding, which is not true. It is correct that the drive would've ended up without points whether we didn't convert the 4th down or if Seiber missed the kick. However, considering the distance of the kick versus gaining the 9 yards needed, I feel the conversion had a much higher chance of success, and was thus the right call.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
blackcat Wrote:Therefore, being more effective.

NO, Tebow won the game for Florida with his run game.
Redneck Wrote:NO, Tebow won the game for Florida with his run game.

I hardly think 78 yards beat Kentucky.

Everyone has their opinions. I just think Kentucky has a good enough team to beat anyone in the country, but aren't prepared well enough.
You can make the case for Flynn or Tebow, thats your opinion. My opinion, however, it simple. In COLLEGE, not pro, but on this level, Id rather have Tim Tebow at quarterback than any qb in the country. This is NOT a stab at Andre Woodson. I think Woodson is an excellent qb, and proved it against Florida. But nobody in their right mind can say that Flynn is a better scrambler than Tebow. Florida's offense is designed for Tebow to carry that load, which is why he accounts for over 70% of the yards on that team. Flynn is a very good quarterback, but there is a difference in scrambling, and designed plays. And if Flynn was Florida's qb, he wouldnt be nearly as effective. Tebow is a hoss. A manchild, and a load for any defense to bring down. Yeah Yeah, he'll get beat up in the pros, but this isnt pro football, and for at least this and next year, very few, if any, teams in college football will stop him. When he signed with Florida, I said "look out, Urban Meyer has the perfect fit for his offense". And I will go ahead and predict, that Florida will win the national championship next year. I made that prediction the day he signed with the Gators. Urban Meyer has an embarrassment of riches in Gainesville. Right now, they are just so young. Which is scary..But, Matt Flynn isn't half the quarterback that Tim Tebow is. Tim Tebow is the second best player in the country (behind McFadden), or should I say, the second most valuable player? However, as far as the coaching, I agreed 100% with Rich Brooks' decisions. I thought the onside kick was absolutely brilliant, and I would have went for the 4th and 9 too..UK has had problems on defense this year, but it only gets brought up when they lose. And the other game they lost, the defense played very well (two fumble recoveries for touchdowns will kill any chance of winning)..but when you consider that Tennessee gave up 59 points to this very same Florida team, the UK defense was pretty much on par..Keep in mind, that UK has played some very good offensive teams too. Yeah, they definitely have had their problems, but it is much better than last year, and I would say that this defense is much more adequate than last year as well..I still think UK will lose to Georgia, but will go into the post season at 9-3. And who wouldnt take a 9-3 season at UK?? Fact is simple. Kentucky lost by one touchdown to a legit top 10 team, and the defending national champions. And people are griping about that..chiiilllllllllllll, lol..
blackcat Wrote:I hardly think 78 yards beat Kentucky.

Everyone has their opinions. I just think Kentucky has a good enough team to beat anyone in the country, but aren't prepared well enough.

Two fake QB draws that sucked in UK's ENTIRE defense turned into 2 TD passes. They were keyin so hard on Tebow runnin the ball they weren't even worried about any recievers on the field. That's how EFFECTIVE Tebows run game is.
blackcat Wrote:I hardly think 78 yards beat Kentucky.

Kentucky is good enough to beat anyone in the country, but that doesn't mean it's the coaches' fault when they lose. Again, they can't go out and tackle or block themselves, all they can do is prepare the team to have the best possible chance of winning. And going against a team (Florida) with superior talent and who had been rested for 2 weeks, I thought Brooks had UK as well-prepared as they could have possibly been. In the end, it's up to the players to execute.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Kentucky is good enough to beat anyone in the country, but that doesn't mean it's the coaches' fault when they lose. Again, they can't go out and tackle or block themselves, all they can do is prepare the team to have the best possible chance of winning. And going against a team (Florida) with superior talent and who had been rested for 2 weeks, I thought Brooks had UK as well-prepared as they could have possibly been. In the end, it's up to the players to execute.

EXACTLY