Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Courier Journal All State teams
I’m puzzled to how the Louisville Courier-Journal excluded Owsley County’ s Lexy Lynch and Carly Smith off their 2021-22 All State team. Letcher Central’s Kaylee Banks was named to the 3rd Team, a well deserved selection. Knott Central’s Abby Maggard and Breathitt County’s Breanna Tincher were named Honorable Mention, also good players. But Lynch and Smith have been two of the better players in the region all year. 

Earlier this month the Lexington Herald-Leader named both Banks and Lynch to their 3rd team and Carly Smith an Honorable Mention. 
Lexy Lynch was the coaches’ 14th region Player of the Year in 2020-21 and was the 14th region choice by the players as Player of the Year this season. She scored over 2600 career points and helped her team to 3 straight district championships, a 14th region All A title and state quarterfinals in 2021, 3 straight region semifinals and 1 finals, and a 1 point loss to Letcher Central for the regional championship. 
This is strictly my opinion but Lynch and Smith’s efforts this season were worthy of being somewhere on the CJ’s list. 
My question is, does Jason Frakes, high school sports writer for the newspaper, even research these players?
(04-19-2022, 04:33 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: I’m puzzled to how the Louisville Courier-Journal excluded Owsley County’ s Lexy Lynch and Carly Smith off their 2021-22 All State team. Letcher Central’s Kaylee Banks was named to the 3rd Team, a well deserved selection. Knott Central’s Abby Maggard and Breathitt County’s Breanna Tincher were named Honorable Mention, also good players. But Lynch and Smith have been two of the better players in the region all year. 

Earlier this month the Lexington Herald-Leader named both Banks and Lynch to their 3rd team and Carly Smith an Honorable Mention. 
Lexy Lynch was the coaches’ 14th region Player of the Year in 2020-21 and was the 14th region choice by the players as Player of the Year this season. She scored over 2600 career points and helped her team to 3 straight district championships, a 14th region All A title and state quarterfinals in 2021, 3 straight region semifinals and 1 finals, and a 1 point loss to Letcher Central for the regional championship. 
This is strictly my opinion but Lynch and Smith’s efforts this season were worthy of being somewhere on the CJ’s list. 
My question is, does Jason Frakes, high school sports writer for the newspaper, even research these players?

The coaches vote for the CJ All State teams.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, it’s a coaches vote. I wasn’t thinking. The CJ and HL are both coaches ballots.
My mistake about Frakes. He’s just the messenger.

I respect the coaches’ opinions but I feel that Lynch and Smith deserved more consideration than no mention at all. The Lady Owls never won 20 games or made it to the regional championship game by magic.
Looks like an Owsley county post.
For sure an Owsley poster.
(08-07-2022, 01:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: For sure an Owsley poster.

Don’t exactly see what that has to do with anything.  

Do you agree or disagree with the post?
I think Lynch girl is probably honorable mention or 3rd teamer.
A lot of players from eastern ky get passed over on these teams because only a small percentage of our coaches take the time to send their votes in.
I think both girls deserved to be mentioned. Lynch has been one of the best players in region the last 2 years. Smith in my opinion has been a top 3 player the last few years. If they played for some of the bigger schools in region you can bet they be mentioned. Both kids with a few others in region deserves more recognition.
They both are very good players in the 14th region but there’s 15 other Regions with some really talented kids to. Did Owsley go to state and make any noise? I think if they would went to state and won some games and had some nice stats against quality competition they would been mentioned.
(08-08-2022, 02:25 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: They both are very good players in the 14th region but there’s 15 other Regions with some really talented kids to.  Did Owsley go to state and make any noise?  I think if they would went to state and won some games and had some nice stats against quality competition they would been mentioned.
This is an old thread from several months back but I was mainly venting over not even being named in the Honorable Mention section. When you lose a region championship game in OT, and on a last second shot at that, after winning 20 games for the season it should at least be worthy of an Honorable Mention selection. That’s just my opinion.
I agree with you Lookyanner. Lynch was probably top player in the region. I’d say at least 3rd team all state. What was her stats for the season? I just haven’t kept up. Sorry
(08-08-2022, 09:37 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: I agree with you Lookyanner.  Lynch was probably top player in the region.  I’d say at least 3rd team all state.  What was her stats for the season?  I just haven’t kept up.  Sorry
This past season she averaged 16.5 ppg and 6.1 rebounds. Her averages were down a little from the previous year but the team was more balanced in ‘22.
She made 58 treys. She scored almost 2700 points for her career, and although she repeated her senior year she was still only 18 when she graduated. She played on 4 district championship teams and three region semifinalist and a region championship game. Her junior year the Lady Owls were All A champions and made it to the state quarterfinals after defeating Shelby Valley in the first round. 

But Lexy’s value to her team was more than just statistics. She was a leader and mentor for the younger players. I think Alice Lloyd got a good one when she signed with them.
ALC is a great school and they play really good basketball over there. They got them a heck of a player with a lot of upside to get even better and better. Lexy will do really well there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • LOOKAYANNER