Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Harlan Co Job Open
(05-23-2022, 11:42 AM)hchs fan Wrote: any news or updates on coaching annoucement

It's been super quiet, I've heard they pay pretty good and are actively looking but can't find anyone to say there is a favorite at this point that would actually know something.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • hchs fan
Said they were going to hire Cory Martin, Perry Central assistant from a few years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • hchs fan
(05-23-2022, 02:16 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Said they were going to hire Cory Martin, Perry Central assistant from a few years ago.
Unless he brings in some more players Noah is gone to North Laurel and to Rupp Arena with Reed Shepherd. Probably already gone anyway, just waiting to enroll at North Laurel.
wondor when they name or annouce somebody
Noah should go to North Laurel.

Harlan County had a good thing going with Michael Jones, with a good team coming back. A certain family has been the demise of this program. But, they'll likely get what they want, with their children in the limelight, with one of the region's best coaches and players not there next year. We will see how Harlan County does in the King of the Bluegrass Tournament without Noah and Jones.
So the scuttlebutt is that Anthony Nolan is front runner for the coaching position. THIS IS NOT SUBSTANTIATED!!!

I fully expect Noah to enroll at North Laurel and probably another key player or two will transfer out to Bell Co (I'm hearing).

So Malcom Ex, the answer to your question is that the team will be decimated.
(05-24-2022, 09:57 AM)Malcolm Ex Wrote: Noah should go to North Laurel.

Harlan County had a good thing going with Michael Jones, with a good team coming back. A certain family has been the demise of this program. But, they'll likely get what they want, with their children in the limelight, with one of the region's best coaches and players not there next year. We will see how Harlan County does in the King of the Bluegrass Tournament without Noah and Jones.

While I don't disagree it's going to be hard for them without Noah and Jones, the situation with Coach Jones is his own fault. I'm not going to talk specifics on this but anyone that remotely knows what happened knows that a little self control likely would've prevented all of this.
Jones did an ok job, but had missed the regional tournament twice in the last four seasons. I think he has lost to Harlan Ind 4 out of 5. You have to consider HC is a 5A school playing in a district with a 3A and two single A schools. He had underachieved really in all but 1 or 2 seasons. HC has consistently had the most talent year in and year out. I’m not saying it was justified, but maybe new blood is what’s needed here.
any annoucement or anything anytime soon on new coach
(05-24-2022, 12:04 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Jones did an ok job, but had missed the regional tournament twice in the last four seasons.  I think he has lost to Harlan Ind 4 out of 5.  You have to consider HC is a 5A school playing in a district with a 3A and two single A schools.  He had underachieved really in all but 1 or 2 seasons.  HC has consistently had the most talent year in and year out.  I’m not saying it was justified, but maybe new blood is what’s needed here.

It seems like common knowledge that Jones not coaching anymore has nothing to do with his performance as a coach on the floor but some issues off the court.
Yes, I’m aware of that. But, I’ve been around this program since the school opened and a lot of people have been ready to move on from him. Style of play, personality, off court issues, and believe it or not, many felt he has been an underachiever. The record on the surface looks ok, but having the best team (on paper) in the district every year causes people to expect you to at least make it out of the district. Again, I’m not saying it’s the right move, but that’s how many people felt.
I think he has been very successful and had a great run. But it seems like while his performance coaching does not warrant being let go, that maybe he has struggled a bit in recent memory. That being said if they have several transfers it’ll set the program back a couple years.
Noah was close to leaving for North last year. Regardless of who the coach was or who it’s going to be, he’s gone. The former coach knew he was losing him. They are related too, if that tells you anything about how the coach was viewed.
Having hard time understanding Jones being called “underachiever”?
Seasons= 8
Record= 174-65
Win pct= 73%
Reg Semis=3
Reg Finals=2
Reg Champs= 1

Also HC has not been as talented as some may believe. Don’t see a bunch of Div 1 kids coming out of there. Yes off court issues are true but underachiever as a coach I don’t agree whatsoever.
Bell, Middlesboro and Harlan Ind have had FAR less talent over the last 8 years, including this past season.
Mboro yes but dont with Bell and Harlan having less talent. But that’s ok, we don’t have to agree

Don’t forget HC played on regional final 2 yrs ago with an 8th grade point guard and about pulled it off
(05-24-2022, 02:07 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Noah was close to leaving for North last year.  Regardless of who the coach was or who it’s going to be, he’s gone.  The former coach knew he was losing him.  They are related too, if that tells you anything about how the coach was viewed.

From the rumor mill, I here Noah maybe leaving but not to North.
I just deleted a post from this thread that was completely off topic, and amounted to a personal attack on another poster.

Please know that this is your first warning.
any annoucement or anything anytime soon
(05-24-2022, 02:07 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Noah was close to leaving for North last year.  Regardless of who the coach was or who it’s going to be, he’s gone.  The former coach knew he was losing him.  They are related too, if that tells you anything about how the coach was viewed.
Noah leaving had nothing to do with coach
(05-10-2022, 03:38 PM)ballaboveall Wrote: Lot of big names turning down Harlan according to rumors?

It's been super quiet, I've heard they pay pretty good and are actively looking but can't find anyone...
[/quote]

(05-24-2022, 10:05 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: So the scuttlebutt is that Anthony Nolan is front runner for the coaching position. THIS IS NOT SUBSTANTIATED!!!

(05-24-2022, 12:04 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Jones did an ok job, but had missed the regional tournament twice in the last four seasons. I think he has lost to Harlan Ind 4 out of 5. You have to consider HC is a 5A school playing in a district with a 3A and two single A schools. He had underachieved really in all but 1 or 2 seasons.

(05-24-2022, 01:28 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Yes, I’m aware of that. But, I’ve been around this program since the school opened and a lot of people have been ready to move on from him. Style of play, personality, off court issues, and believe it or not, many felt he has been an underachiever.

Lots of strange stuff in this thread
1. I don't believe anyone has been offered the job yet.
2. There are quite a few applicants/candidates - don't think there is a problem finding someone.
3. Coach Nolan, from what I heard, did not apply for the job.
4. HCHS has been a 4A school for several years and there has been declining enrollment in the county for most of the past 50 years. I don't think school size is any factor at all between Bell and HC as we've seen in football.
5. You don't win 70 percent of your games and qualify as an underachiever, especially with a regional championship, a regional runner-up finish and a regional final four finish with five district titles in eight years and no seasons with less than 18 wins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • ArJay
(05-25-2022, 09:23 PM)HCS Wrote:
(05-10-2022, 03:38 PM)ballaboveall Wrote: Lot of big names turning down Harlan according to rumors?

It's been super quiet, I've heard they pay pretty good and are actively looking but can't find anyone...

(05-24-2022, 10:05 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: So the scuttlebutt is that Anthony Nolan is front runner for the coaching position.  THIS IS NOT SUBSTANTIATED!!!

(05-24-2022, 12:04 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Jones did an ok job, but had missed the regional tournament twice in the last four seasons.  I think he has lost to Harlan Ind 4 out of 5.  You have to consider HC is a 5A school playing in a district with a 3A and two single A schools.  He had underachieved really in all but 1 or 2 seasons.

(05-24-2022, 01:28 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Yes, I’m aware of that.  But, I’ve been around this program since the school opened and a lot of people have been ready to move on from him.  Style of play, personality, off court issues, and believe it or not, many felt he has been an underachiever.

Lots of strange stuff in this thread
1. I don't believe anyone has been offered the job yet.
2. There are quite a few applicants/candidates - don't think there is a problem finding someone.
3. Coach Nolan, from what I heard, did not apply for the job.
4. HCHS has been a 4A school for several years and there has been declining enrollment in the county for most of the past 50 years. I don't think school size is any factor at all between Bell and HC as we've seen in football.
5. You don't win 70 percent of your games and qualify as an underachiever, especially with a regional championship, a regional runner-up finish and a regional final four finish with five district titles in eight years and no seasons with less than 18 wins.
[/quote]

Great post.  The only thing I don’t know about as the different in enrollment between Bell and Harlan County.  Last I heard Bell was in the 600s.  That’s been a couple years ago.  What is Harlan County’s enrollment?
Like I said, Jones’ job performance on the court shouldn’t be overly criticized.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ArJay's post:
  • momentoftruth
(05-24-2022, 01:28 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Yes, I’m aware of that.  But, I’ve been around this program since the school opened and a lot of people have been ready to move on from him.  Style of play, personality, off court issues, and believe it or not, many felt he has been an underachiever.  The record on the surface looks ok, but having the best team (on paper) in the district every year causes people to expect you to at least make it out of the district.  Again, I’m not saying it’s the right move, but that’s how many people felt.

(05-25-2022, 10:37 PM)momentoftruth Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 01:28 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Yes, I’m aware of that.  But, I’ve been around this program since the school opened and a lot of people have been ready to move on from him.  Style of play, personality, off court issues, and believe it or not, many felt he has been an underachiever.  The record on the surface looks ok, but having the best team (on paper) in the district every year causes people to expect you to at least make it out of the district.  Again, I’m not saying it’s the right move, but that’s how many people felt.
What’s personality have to do with coaching? HC plays fast. But aren’t you the one who bashes Bell for their slow style of play? Make up your mind.

(05-24-2022, 04:13 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Bell, Middlesboro and Harlan Ind have had FAR less talent over the last 8 years, including this past season.
You can cancel out Noah and Akal. After that, Harlan is better in all four positions.

Woolum and Burnett is better than any other player for HC besides Noah.

I think you're wrong here. Noah was close to leaving, but it was more about the situation, not his relationship with Coach Jones.

There were some issues with some of the players and Coach Jones, but the problem was about jealousy and entitlement. I wouldn't put the blame on the players (they're kids) or Coach Jones. Sometimes parents are the worst.
any news or updates on coaching annoucement
any news or updates on coaching annoucement
So is Noah still at Harlan County and planning to play for them this summer and fall or will he be playing for another school?
He enrolled at Perry Central this morning.
I heard Steve Wright is in the mix.
(05-27-2022, 09:05 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: He enrolled at Perry Central this morning.

I thought he was going to North?