Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D1 players in 15th Region
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I didn't know we had college scouts amongst us here.Big Grin

oh yea ive met about 20 or 30 on here atleast...come highly recommended too..haha...not really
The Joker Wrote:Hayes is the only D-1 prospect for this upcoming senior class. If Grimm has been throwing alot and working on his arm strenght since last baseball season to where he is pitching from 85-88 I think he could be a D-1. If he doesn't gain any velocity from last year I'd say he will end up at a Pikeville college or small Juco.

Does anyone know a list of players that have signed D-1 letters in the past 5 to 6 years? I can only think of a few.

Steve Blevins from LC signed with Cinn.
LC had a really good SS about 3 yrs ago that signed with Vrg Tech I think. Name escapes me.
Daniel Pugh signed with Morehead last year.
I think JC has signe quiet a few D-1 player in the past: Harry Meek, UofL, Mike Hall UofL, Mo Hall signed with UofL but didn't stay long. Willie Blair, Morehead State. I cant remember any more but Mr Kimble can probably name quiet a few more.
Paintsville also signed a few players a few seasons ago. David Lemaster, Clemson, Scott Daniel, East Tenn State, John Doug Miller, Morehead State, Lance Daniels, WKU,
Roger Daniel, WKU. I'm sure I've left out a ton of guys, but most of you wouldn't remember them anyway. Much too young.
kyrifle Wrote:Steve Blevins from LC signed with Cinn.
LC had a really good SS about 3 yrs ago that signed with Vrg Tech I think. Name escapes me.
I think JC has signe quiet a few D-1 player in the past: Harry Meek, UofL, Mike Hall UofL, Mo Hall signed with UofL but didn't stay long. Willie Blair, Morehead State. I cant remember any more but Mr Kimble can probably name quiet a few more.
Paintsville also signed a few players a few seasons ago. David Lemaster, Clemson, Scott Daniel, East Tenn State, John Doug Miller, Morehead State, Lance Daniels, WKU,
Roger Daniel, WKU. I'm sure I've left out a ton of guys, but most of you wouldn't remember them anyway. Much too young.

As for Johnson Central, Matt Fyffe just this past season can be added. Timmy Baldwin signed with Morehead a few years ago. Heath Castle went the JUCO route and went to Saint Catharines before going to UK his junior season. Thing is he was drafted twice out of Saint Catharines twice before he ever went to a D1 school. Adam Blanton had the opportunity of attending Kentucky and a couple of other D1 schools a couple of years ago, but chose to go to Cumberland instead. Also had the opportunity to transfer to Marshall in the second semester just last season, and again declined. Those are the most recent out of JC.

Chase Huffman of Pikeville signed with Morehead two years ago. Those would be the most recent that I can think of right of the top of my head out of Pikeville.

John Bevins out of Pike Central signd with Walters State around 2000 which is the best JUCO program in the United States, period. A lot of those guys dont even fool with going to a D1 school when they leave there. They get paid to play.

Casey Howard out of Lawrence Co. signed with EKU somewhere around 2002.

There is a big difference in getting letters and visitation requests. That's all just very routine stuff. When they start making you offers that is the tell-all.

Every individual is different. What may be a great situation for one may not be a great situation for another. There are a bunch of these "experts" on here that will look down upon Grimm if he does not sign with a D1 school because ignorance is a disease around these parts. There would be nothing wrong with Grimm going to a DII, DIII, JUCO,or a good NAIA school. There is some dang good baseball in all of those divisions. To be honest Grimm would be very doubtful in making the rotation early in his career at a school like Cumberland, Campbellsville, or Union to begin with. To me the best place to go is where you get the chance to play and just forget about the stigma of D1. This aint football or basketball, it's baseball. Whole different animal when it comes to the college level.
kyrifle Wrote:Steve Blevins from LC signed with Cinn.

spencer harris went to virginia tech...great shortstop not so great bat...but i remember playing against him when i was younger...
OMG Wrote:im sorry guys, no offense to the kid at all, but being a division 1 athlete takes a lot and a specail kind of player and i just personally do not think that dotson is D1 material...sorry he's just not there

ok i dont know why you have a problem with Tyler, but he batted .455 last year, i dont know what you think d1 material is but if that isnt i dont know what is. he is switching to first basebase this year because eastren (D1 COLLEGE) offered him a scholarship if he was a first basemen. please dont comment on somthing you know nothing about.
High_Heat Wrote:ok i dont know why you have a problem with Tyler, but he batted .455 last year, i dont know what you think d1 material is but if that isnt i dont know what is. he is switching to first basebase this year because eastren (D1 COLLEGE) offered him a scholarship if he was a first basemen. please dont comment on somthing you know nothing about.

offered him a scholarship only if he was a first baseman? hit .455?? im almost 100% sure that daniel pugh had the highest batting average at the end of the year and if dotson hit .455 i think more people would have heard about it....i may not know alot about belfry baseball, but i have seen this kid play and i do know quite a bit about recruitment and playing college baseball...i honestly just never heard of a d1 school really approaching it in that manner..maybe this is a first for me i dont know, but ive just never seen it done the way you described it being done...i would think that if they want him, they want him and they would have already offered...have they made an official offer? im not calling you a liar im just wondering if he was offered a scholarship...is that what your saying?
OMG Wrote:offered him a scholarship only if he was a first baseman? hit .455?? im almost 100% sure that daniel pugh had the highest batting average at the end of the year and if dotson hit .455 i think more people would have heard about it....i may not know alot about belfry baseball, but i have seen this kid play and i do know quite a bit about recruitment and playing college baseball...i honestly just never heard of a d1 school really approaching it in that manner..maybe this is a first for me i dont know, but ive just never seen it done the way you described it being done...i would think that if they want him, they want him and they would have already offered...have they made an official offer? im not calling you a liar im just wondering if he was offered a scholarship...is that what your saying?

he was souted several times by eastren last year along with a couple smallar school out of WV, WV state being on of them, plus pikeville.had a .500 avg going in to the regional tourny. well all know what happend to belfry in that one. Eastren said they would be more than thrilled to give him a schoolarship if he switched to firstbase because his previous postion was third, and well lets just say hes wasnt the best third basemenhe had trouble with the long throw and he wasnt quite fast enough to play there at the D1 level.
High_Heat Wrote:he was souted several times by eastren last year along with a couple smallar school out of WV, WV state being on of them, plus pikeville.had a .500 avg going in to the regional tourny. well all know what happend to belfry in that one. Eastren said they would be more than thrilled to give him a schoolarship if he switched to firstbase because his previous postion was third, and well lets just say hes wasnt the best third basemenhe had trouble with the long throw and he wasnt quite fast enough to play there at the D1 level.

ok well i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one..
i am sorry to disappoint any blackcatfans but there is no on p-burgs team that can play for a d-1 school. most of their players couldnt even make it on a goo little league team.
hahaha
cardsplayer15 Wrote:i am sorry to disappoint any blackcatfans but there is no on p-burgs team that can play for a d-1 school. most of their players couldnt even make it on a goo little league team.
hahaha

Come on that's a little crazy. Rodebaugh is a great athlete and he could go to a small college somewhere and contribute.
Just to clear things up, Tyler dotson isn't going to EKU, he went away from that opption. It is rumored he will be signing with Allice Lloyd.
im wrong,
cardsplayer15 Wrote:i am sorry to disappoint any blackcatfans but there is no on p-burgs team that can play for a d-1 school. most of their players couldnt even make it on a goo little league team.
hahaha

Rodebaugh is a great athlete, if im not mistaking he hit a home run in last years regional tourny against pville?? he could eaisly go to a small school like pikeville, eku, ect and play.
High_Heat Wrote:Rodebaugh is a great athlete, if im not mistaking he hit a home run in last years regional tourny against pville?? he could eaisly go to a small school like pikeville, eku, ect and play.
Not if Pikeville ever has any plans of competing in the Mid -South.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Not if Pikeville ever has any plans of competing in the Mid -South.

I agree, I hear a lot of talk on here about players recieving offers and letters from different D-1 colleges and the facts are that very few college scouts view view any 15th regional baseball games during the regular season simply due to the fact that the college season is in full swing at that time...So if you want to be recruited then you must go to them. ie: summer ball, College camps, showcases, Regional all star games or play in the state finals at applebee's .....

exceptions to this might be Alice lloyd, Pikeville College, UVA wise , or small local colleges with not so prosperous Baseball programs.......

So unless you are doing these things as a player D1 baseball won't happen for you... at the same time D1 may not be the best way to go as a freshman.

Facts are that there aren't very many 15th region players doing these things:

But IMO there are only a couple who might qualify as d1 potential from this years seniors.

1) Grimm Paintsville LHP 6'2" good velocity and has been on visits to D1 schools.
2) timmy Hayes LC Catcher 6'2" good pop time and also has high visability
INSIGHT Wrote:I agree, I hear a lot of talk on here about players recieving offers and letters from different D-1 colleges and the facts are that very few college scouts view view any 15th regional baseball games during the regular season simply due to the fact that the college season is in full swing at that time...So if you want to be recruited then you must go to them. ie: summer ball, College camps, showcases, Regional all star games or play in the state finals at applebee's .....

exceptions to this might be Alice lloyd, Pikeville College, UVA wise , or small local colleges with not so prosperous Baseball programs.......

So unless you are doing these things as a player D1 baseball won't happen for you... at the same time D1 may not be the best way to go as a freshman.

Facts are that there aren't very many 15th region players doing these things:

But IMO there are only a couple who might qualify as d1 potential from this years seniors.

1) Grimm Paintsville LHP 6'2" good velocity and has been on visits to D1 schools.
2) timmy Hayes LC Catcher 6'2" good pop time and also has high visability

Those are the only two at the time that are good enough. I think if Grimm wasn't left handed he might struggle. But that really inhances his chances at getting picked up by a good program.
OMG Wrote:Those are the only two at the time that are good enough. I think if Grimm wasn't left handed he might struggle. But that really inhances his chances at getting picked up by a good program.

I think that there are several juniors and a few more seniors that can and will play college baseball somewhere, there are a lot of college programs out there.but my point being that they probably won't get much of a chance if all they do is play High School ball in this area.
High_Heat Wrote:Rodebaugh is a great athlete, if im not mistaking he hit a home run in last years regional tourny against pville?? he could eaisly go to a small school like pikeville, eku, ect and play.

Does rodebaugh do anything toward baseball in the off season?

He might be able to play for Alice lloyd or Pikeville but EKU is not possible.

RHP's throwing in the high 70's or low 80's are a dime a dozen and it would reqire a lot of marketing or exposure to get a school like EKU interested.

I believe matt fyffe went to EKU this year and they became interested in him after he attended their Showcase...not to mention that he pitched his team to the state finals last year....

This is really a simple issue ....just do the work and prove your ability to the scouts or college coaches.
INSIGHT Wrote:Does rodebaugh do anything toward baseball in the off season?

He might be able to play for Alice lloyd or Pikeville but EKU is not possible.

RHP's throwing in the high 70's or low 80's are a dime a dozen and it would reqire a lot of marketing or exposure to get a school like EKU interested.

I believe matt fyffe went to EKU this year and they became interested in him after he attended their Showcase...not to mention that he pitched his team to the state finals last year....

This is really a simple issue ....just do the work and prove your ability to the scouts or college coaches.

No he didn't pitch them to the state finals. That was Shelby County and Dunbar. They got a no-hitter pitched against them in the first round with Fyffe pitching against Dunbar.
OMG Wrote:No he didn't pitch them to the state finals. That was Shelby County and Dunbar. They got a no-hitter pitched against them in the first round with Fyffe pitching against Dunbar.

BY finals of the state I meant a trip to applebees...give me a break!!!!

I'm aware they didn't make the championship game.....

I was there!!!!!
INSIGHT Wrote:BY finals of the state I meant a trip to applebees...give me a break!!!!

I'm aware they didn't make the championship game.....

I was there!!!!!

Well good I was just trying to clarify what you were talking about it. Sometimes you never know if people know that or not. I had no idea if you did, so I was just clarifying. No disrespect.