Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
D1 players in 15th Region
blackcat_student Wrote:Maybe in the past Prestonsburg was just a football school but I really don't think that this is the case anymore. Plus I don't don't how they could be one of the weakest baseball schools in the state of Kentucky considering that they won a state championship in baseball, and not too many teams in Eastern Kentucky have done that. Prestonsburg has two of the better players in the 15th region and IMO I think Prestonsburg is the sleeper in the region and I believe that they have a shot at going to Applebee's Park.

And when was the last time you where at a Prestonsburg game? They have had really good fan support over the past four years. And they now have probably the finest facility in the 15th region and maybe even the best in Eastern Kentucky. Not trying to get under your skin or anything but just curious.

Yes, they have an indoor training facility that has a batting cage, locker room, and a bullpen. Yes it is a step in the right direction, and there are over 30 boys that are ready to go out there and bust there *** off to when district and compete in region this year.
First - I was at some PBurg games just this past season and have been every year for many, many years.

2nd- Prestonsburg won a state championship in 1948. Exactly 60 years ago. Just a tad out of date on that one aren't we?

3rd- What would make you believe that they are not just a football school any more?

4th- For my opinion on why they have one of the weakest programs around the state and most certainly the area, I can base this upon PBurg records in just the past 6 years alone and the opposing teams records in games in which they won in those years.

2002 Record 2-11

Magoffin Co. 0-11
South Floyd 4-10

2003 Record 8-16

Knott Co. 3-14
Letcher 2-8
Evarts 1-17
Casey Co. 8-24
South Floyd 5-12
Magoffin 2-14

2004 Record 1-18

Pike Co. Central 15-18

2005 Record 17-11

Knott Co. 17-22 (3 times)
Cordia 1-13
Phelps 10-11 (2 times)
Jenkins 4-12
South Floyd 3-22
Allen Central 18-14
Fleming Neon 5-11 (2 times)
Pike Co. Central 14-18 (2 times)

2006 Record 13-15

East Ridge 11-23 (3 times)
Phelps 13-7
Morgan 7-11
Wolfe Co. 10-10
Magoffin Co. 12-11 (3 times)
South Floyd 2-16
Betsy Layne 8-19

2007 Record 16-17

Phelps 12-10
Betsy Layne 2-22 (3 times)
South Floyd 0-16 (2 times)
June Buchanan 7-20 (2 times)
Cordia 7-13
Wolfe Co. 4-18 (2 times)
Shelby Valley 6-15 (2 times)
Knott Co. 8-19 (2 times)
Magoffin Co. 13-13

In the last 6 years Prestonsburg has won a Grand Total of 6 games over a team that had a winning record in that respective season. That's right a Grand Total of 6. And look at who those teams were( perennial power houses Magoffin Co. and Phelps, and one win over Allen Central in 2005.) And just for a moment just look at the teams in which Phelps and Magoffin Co. beat in those seasons to get those winning records. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! I can certainly see why you would think they have a shot at Applebees this year. Think about what you are saying. Do you honestly think they can get by Paintsville, Pikeville, Johnson Central , or Lawrence Co to win the 15th region? Do you realize that they would have to get by the 13th region winner to then take the semi-state title just to get to Applebees? Do you really understand how things are set up? Of course you dont. This is just the mentality that some of us are trying to educate some of you young posters on.

Prestonsburg does indeed have a nice field to play on now, but I certainly think that Pikeville, Belfry , Lawrence Co., Pike Central, Shelby Valley, and certainly Johnson Central's new field can still claim superiority in that respect however. Maybe best in Eastern Ky? WOW again. Ever been to Boyd Co? Ever been to Corbin? Ever been to Whitley Co.? Ever been to McCreary Co.? Ever been to any of the Laurel Co. fields?
Of course you haven't because PBurg does not play those caliber of teams.

Just want to close in saying that Rodebaugh and Hughes do have some talent and can possibly play somewhere at the next level, but again I respectfully claim complete ignorance of the game of baseball for anyone to remotely suggest that D1 capabilities exist.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:First - I was at some PBurg games just this past season and have been every year for many, many years.

2nd- Prestonsburg won a state championship in 1948. Exactly 60 years ago. Just a tad out of date on that one aren't we?

3rd- What would make you believe that they are not just a football school any more?

4th- For my opinion on why they have one of the weakest programs around the state and most certainly the area, I can base this upon PBurg records in just the past 6 years alone and the opposing teams records in games in which they won in those years.

2002 Record 2-11

Magoffin Co. 0-11
South Floyd 4-10

2003 Record 8-16

Knott Co. 3-14
Letcher 2-8
Evarts 1-17
Casey Co. 8-24
South Floyd 5-12
Magoffin 2-14

2004 Record 1-18

Pike Co. Central 15-18

2005 Record 17-11

Knott Co. 17-22 (3 times)
Cordia 1-13
Phelps 10-11 (2 times)
Jenkins 4-12
South Floyd 3-22
Allen Central 18-14
Fleming Neon 5-11 (2 times)
Pike Co. Central 14-18 (2 times)

2006 Record 13-15

East Ridge 11-23 (3 times)
Phelps 13-7
Morgan 7-11
Wolfe Co. 10-10
Magoffin Co. 12-11 (3 times)
South Floyd 2-16
Betsy Layne 8-19

2007 Record 16-17

Phelps 12-10
Betsy Layne 2-22 (3 times)
South Floyd 0-16 (2 times)
June Buchanan 7-20 (2 times)
Cordia 7-13
Wolfe Co. 4-18 (2 times)
Shelby Valley 6-15 (2 times)
Knott Co. 8-19 (2 times)
Magoffin Co. 13-13

In the last 6 years Prestonsburg has won a Grand Total of 6 games over a team that had a winning record in that respective season. That's right a Grand Total of 6. And look at who those teams were( perennial power houses Magoffin Co. and Phelps, and one win over Allen Central in 2005.) And just for a moment just look at the teams in which Phelps and Magoffin Co. beat in those seasons to get those winning records. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!! I can certainly see why you would think they have a shot at Applebees this year. Think about what you are saying. Do you honestly think they can get by Paintsville, Pikeville, Johnson Central , or Lawrence Co to win the 15th region? Do you realize that they would have to get by the 13th region winner to then take the semi-state title just to get to Applebees? Do you really understand how things are set up? Of course you dont. This is just the mentality that some of us are trying to educate some of you young posters on.

Prestonsburg does indeed have a nice field to play on now, but I certainly think that Pikeville, Belfry , Lawrence Co., Pike Central, Shelby Valley, and certainly Johnson Central's new field can still claim superiority in that respect however. Maybe best in Eastern Ky? WOW again. Ever been to Boyd Co? Ever been to Corbin? Ever been to Whitley Co.? Ever been to McCreary Co.? Ever been to any of the Laurel Co. fields?
Of course you haven't because PBurg does not play those caliber of teams.

Just want to close in saying that Rodebaugh and Hughes do have some talent and can possibly play somewhere at the next level, but again I respectfully claim complete ignorance of the game of baseball for anyone to remotely suggest that D1 capabilities exist.

First- You may have been at some of there games but you have to admit that they have fan support.

Second- Yes it was 60 years ago but a state championship is a state championship, not too many teams can claim that they have won one.

Third- If Prestonsburg where just a football school all the money would be going toward's football. I personally know that the money is being given to each sport. Support from the community is where the football team gets majority of there money from.

Fourth- Thats because they had a coach that was just baby sitting the team. No one with common sense wanted to coach this team because they knew that nothing was being done about the crappy field they where playing on and the poor equipment they had, but in those years a lot of talent was wasted. Only a select few players went to play college baseball. Hopefully the hiring of Marc Shepherd can change that.

Prestonsburg may have only won 6 games over teams with winning records, but whose fault is that for playing such weak teams constantly? Its the coaches fault, not the players. Your right that Prestonsburg hasn't been traditionally good, but look at the poor excuse for coaches they had. All the talent is there in those halls at that school its just that everyone at Prestonsburg used to automatically believe that our baseball team is horrible and that no one wants to be a part of that.

Yes, I believe that Prestonsburg can compete and defeat Paintsville, Johnson Central, Pikeville, and Lawrence County. Why couldn't they? I'm not saying that they are the at the same caliber as those teams but they have just as much talent as each of those schools have but haven't had the same caliber coach. Now hopefully they do in Marc Shepherd. Thats why this years Prestonsburg team has more expectations, because they have gotten a taste of what its like to go regions, and I'm sure that they'll build of last years success.

FYI, I don not know how the system is set up after regions, and I'll admit that... Sorry.
blackcat_student Wrote:First- You may have been at some of there games but you have to admit that they have fan support.

Second- Yes it was 60 years ago but a state championship is a state championship, not too many teams can claim that they have won one.

Third- If Prestonsburg where just a football school all the money would be going toward's football. I personally know that the money is being given to each sport. Support from the community is where the football team gets majority of there money from.

Fourth- Thats because they had a coach that was just baby sitting the team. No one with common sense wanted to coach this team because they knew that nothing was being done about the crappy field they where playing on and the poor equipment they had, but in those years a lot of talent was wasted. Only a select few players went to play college baseball. Hopefully the hiring of Marc Shepherd can change that.

Prestonsburg may have only won 6 games over teams with winning records, but whose fault is that for playing such weak teams constantly? Its the coaches fault, not the players. Your right that Prestonsburg hasn't been traditionally good, but look at the poor excuse for coaches they had. All the talent is there in those halls at that school its just that everyone at Prestonsburg used to automatically believe that our baseball team is horrible and that no one wants to be a part of that.

Yes, I believe that Prestonsburg can compete and defeat Paintsville, Johnson Central, Pikeville, and Lawrence County. Why couldn't they? I'm not saying that they are the at the same caliber as those teams but they have just as much talent as each of those schools have but haven't had the same caliber coach. Now hopefully they do in Marc Shepherd. Thats why this years Prestonsburg team has more expectations, because they have gotten a taste of what its like to go regions, and I'm sure that they'll build of last years success.

FYI, I don not know how the system is set up after regions, and I'll admit that... Sorry.

i thought it was asking for D1 players, and if so, im not being mean or anything but p-burg just simply doesn't have any players at that capability....just because you hit well over.400 in eastern kentucky doesn't mean by any means are you D1 material...alot teams are known to pad their stats especialy in the 57th distrtict, i think i seen in the paper one day last year where paintsville had 4 or 5 hitters well up over .400 and that just wasn't the case at all
blackcat_student Wrote:First- You may have been at some of there games but you have to admit that they have fan support.

Again Marc is a quality individual , they dont come any better, but he is very green about baseball. He has never coached it before at either the high school or middle school level. Good to have high expectations though.

The best talent that Prestonsburg has had in recent years was the 2005 squad that had the likes of Jesse Chaffins, Trevor Compton, John Mark Stephens, and Michael Morrison and they were all way too indoctrinated in football to become the players they could have been. Yes PBurg has always had a crappy coach, but just as much blame has to go with the football first mentality. It will always be that way. If you dont have summer and fall teams offered to your players then there is no way that they will ever be able to compete even in the sometimes mediocre 15th region.

If you for one moment think that PBurg has the capabilities that you are professing for this coming season, then you are living in a fantasy world.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Again Marc is a quality individual , they dont come any better, but he is very green about baseball. He has never coached it before at either the high school or middle school level. Good to have high expectations though.

The best talent that Prestonsburg has had in recent years was the 2005 squad that had the likes of Jesse Chaffins, Trevor Compton, John Mark Stephens, and Michael Morrison and they were all way too indoctrinated in football to become the players they could have been. Yes PBurg has always had a crappy coach, but just as much blame has to go with the football first mentality. It will always be that way. If you dont have summer and fall teams offered to your players then there is no way that they will ever be able to compete even in the sometimes mediocre 15th region.

If you for one moment think that PBurg has the capabilities that you are professing for this coming season, then you are living in a fantasy world.

no im well aware they aren't that good, i dont remember saying they were, i didn't mean it that way
bigE Wrote:i thought it was asking for D1 players, and if so, im not being mean or anything but p-burg just simply doesn't have any players at that capability....just because you hit well over.400 in eastern kentucky doesn't mean by any means are you D1 material...alot teams are known to pad their stats especialy in the 57th distrtict, i think i seen in the paper one day last year where paintsville had 4 or 5 hitters well up over .400 and that just wasn't the case at all

Paintsville's stats were very legit. But I guess you were at every single game keeping stats. Maybe them having 4 or 5 players hitting over .400 is why they were 27-6 and ranked in the top 10 in the state...Just maybe but who knows. Since you are on the stats kick then maybe you should go to schools like P-Burg, Magoffin, and AC to teach them how to run a book. **** P-Burg had a kid hitting over .600 in the paper and when we played them he didn't touch it but I guess that is the benefit of having your father keeping stats. But to your first statement you are right, if you hit .400 it doesn't mean you are D-1.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:Paintsville's stats were very legit. But I guess you were at every single game keeping stats. Maybe them having 4 or 5 players hitting over .400 is why they were 27-6 and ranked in the top 10 in the state...Just maybe but who knows. Since you are on the stats kick then maybe you should go to schools like P-Burg, Magoffin, and AC to teach them how to run a book. **** P-Burg had a kid hitting over .600 in the paper and when we played them he didn't touch it but I guess that is the benefit of having your father keeping stats. But to your first statement you are right, if you hit .400 it doesn't mean you are D-1.

your right i really didn't mean to single paintsville out on the stats thing, it wasn't my intention....magoffin was bad and there were quite a few others that were, i think magoffin, as bad as they were, had the top four hitters in the region on their team by the end of the year if that explains anything, all of them hitting over .400...all im saying is for that many people to be over .400 is just way too far fetched, thats like a baseketball team having their entire starting 5 averaging over 20 pts a game....you have to admit, as good of a game as it was in the district, paintsville didn't look that great at the plate, with the exception of a couple players....but i will admit i did think paintsville would have won anyway though....against good pitching paintsville struggled a little bit and thats why i question the stats, but to your defense their schedule was weak enough to where those stats might have been possible..
bigE Wrote:your right i really didn't mean to single paintsville out on the stats thing, it wasn't my intention....magoffin was bad and there were quite a few others that were, i think magoffin, as bad as they were, had the top four hitters in the region on their team by the end of the year if that explains anything, all of them hitting over .400...all im saying is for that many people to be over .400 is just way too far fetched, thats like a baseketball team having their entire starting 5 averaging over 20 pts a game....you have to admit, as good of a game as it was in the district, paintsville didn't look that great at the plate, with the exception of a couple players....but i will admit i did think paintsville would have won anyway though....against good pitching paintsville struggled a little bit and thats why i question the stats, but to your defense their schedule was weak enough to where those stats might have been possible..
I think you might have seen stats from early to mid season from Paintsville, as I know for a fact that at one point early they did have 4 guys hitting over .400.
But by seasons end they might have had one, Daniel Pugh(Morehead State).
Paintsville was near the top in offense in the state last year.
The Guru Wrote:I think you might have seen stats from early to mid season from Paintsville, as I know for a fact that at one point early they did have 4 guys hitting over .400.

i know they were near the top in that but near the bottom in strength of schedule and it kinda balances each other out whenever your scoring 20+ runs against teams such as south floyd and betsy layne and other schools near the top are playing teams in the top 10 week in week out...so thats why i think the stats are so mis-leading, because its not balanced throughout the state and its hard to get a good read on teams when they dont play the same type of schedule...do you not agree? im not by any mean picking on paintsville im just simply using them as an example, it goes the same for magoffin or anyone else
bigE Wrote:i know they were near the top in that but near the bottom in strength of schedule and it kinda balances each other out whenever your scoring 20+ runs against teams such as south floyd and betsy layne and other schools near the top are playing teams in the top 10 week in week out...so thats why i think the stats are so mis-leading, because its not balanced throughout the state and its hard to get a good read on teams when they dont play the same type of schedule...do you not agree? im not by any mean picking on paintsville im just simply using them as an example, it goes the same for magoffin or anyone else
Oh I agree that Paintsville didn't play the hardest schedule. But theirs was not weak. They had 5 games against the top 3 teams from the 16th, were they went 2-3 getting outscored 31-30.
3 games against the top 2 teams from the 14th were they won all three games by a margin of 28-6.
They beat a pretty dang good Oak Ridge Tenn. team
Beat a pretty good Butler team from powerhouse 6th reg. 10-4 and a decent J-town team in Jtowns own Tourney!
So that puts them at 8-3 against some pretty good teams that were not from the 15th.
they were 11-4 outside of the 15th. Paintsville High is not rich and going on big road trips is not easy but they do a decent job getting good competition.
How many teams from eastern Ky. have any harder schedules?
I'd say they are at least playing a top 6-7 hardest schedule in EKY.
The Guru Wrote:Oh I agree that Paintsville didn't play the hardest schedule. But theirs was not weak. They had 5 games against the top 3 teams from the 16th, were they went 2-3 getting outscored 31-30.
3 games against the top 2 teams from the 14th were they won all three games by a margin of 28-6.
They beat a pretty dang good Oak Ridge Tenn. team
Beat a pretty good Butler team from powerhouse 6th reg. 10-4 and a decent J-town team in Jtowns own Tourney!
So that puts them at 8-3 against some pretty good teams that were not from the 15th.
they were 11-4 outside of the 15th. Paintsville High is not rich and going on big road trips is not easy but they do a decent job getting good competition.
How many teams from eastern Ky. have any harder schedules?
I'd say they are at least playing a top 6-7 hardest schedule in EKY.

the only point i guess i was trying to make is those stats could have been the product of alot the 15th teams that are way below par in which they scored a bunch of runs and boosted their stats, but that could be said for alot of teams...the only other team that i have seen with a harder schedule from the 15th is lawrence, i seen them down at the louisville invitational and the schedule they had listed on khsaa was pretty rough, but other than them and jc your right there isn't any other 15th team with harder schedules...those three typically have the strongest schedules and last year i would have to give an edge to lc for the caliber teams they played...i looked on the khsaa website at the end of the season last year and they played shelby county(state runner-up)and mercy ruled them 13-2...
First Blackcat student your team will be better, the new coach has to be an improvement. Second I live in Floyd co. and I am glad you guys have a good field now(not provided my school board). Hughes and Rodey are good players but not D1. Another team which will be helped by a new field is Belphy. But these should be diccussed on a new forum.
Tyler Dotson - Belfry
Dotson is definately a good talent that should get a scholarship. There are about 3 to 4 kids on Belfry's team that could go to college on scholarships(on the team not just seniors)over the next few years. I would like to challenge the coaching staff to help these talented young athletes.
High_Heat Wrote:Tyler Dotson - Belfry

im sorry guys, no offense to the kid at all, but being a division 1 athlete takes a lot and a specail kind of player and i just personally do not think that dotson is D1 material...sorry he's just not there
The Guru Wrote:I think you might have seen stats from early to mid season from Paintsville, as I know for a fact that at one point early they did have 4 guys hitting over .400.

Know for a fact Sublett finished the year hitting .415. Don't know the exact of DP but I'm sure he was hitting over .400 as well. Don't know if there were anymore.

yeh im pretty sure that dp was the only one hitting over .400 at the end of last season..
The Blue Blur Wrote:Know for a fact Sublett finished the year hitting .415. Don't know the exact of DP but I'm sure he was hitting over .400 as well. Don't know if there were anymore.

sorry but i agree with guru he was the only one at the end of the year hitting over .400...i know the stats you looked at i seen them too in the big sandy news, but by the end of the year he was below .400...those stats never stayed very up to date...
OMG Wrote:sorry but i agree with guru he was the only one at the end of the year hitting over .400...i know the stats you looked at i seen them too in the big sandy news, but by the end of the year he was below .400...those stats never stayed very up to date...

No the stats I looked at are official from the team last year.
The Blue Blur Wrote:No the stats I looked at are official from the team last year.

then what was the rest of the batting averages for the other three who were batting over .400? or is the only one you know subby's? im not calling you a liar but i doubt they just give those out unless your apart of the staff...the last "official" stats i seen were the ones in the big sandy, so does that mean your apart of the staff? if so then fine you know more than everyone else, but if not how can i look at these stats?
http://eteamz.active.com/PaintsvilleBaseball/roster/

He are Paintsville's end of the year stats for two years ago in the '06 season.
TRUEBALLAHOLLA Wrote:http://eteamz.active.com/PaintsvilleBaseball/roster/

He are Paintsville's end of the year stats for two years ago in the '06 season.

two years ago wasn' last year
OMG Wrote:two years ago wasn' last year
Good Call haha...it's still a baseball season.
I know for a fact that Shane Grimm is d-1 material. He is even going to make a visit with Florida State, I believe. If you are not D-1 material the likes of cincy and Wvu would not take interest in you. He is a strong thrower with great velocity and accuracy along with being left handed. He is also one of the smartest baseball kids I have seen in the area. Lets keep the thread on track.
slingblade93 Wrote:I know for a fact that Shane Grimm is d-1 material. He is even going to make a visit with Florida State, I believe. If you are not D-1 material the likes of cincy and Wvu would not take interest in you. He is a strong thrower with great velocity and accuracy along with being left handed. He is also one of the smartest baseball kids I have seen in the area. Lets keep the thread on track.

i dont remember saying that grimm wasnt d1 material...he's a great pitcher and i agree with you, i haven't heard about florida state, but he could play at some d1 schools im sure...
OMG Wrote:i dont remember saying that grimm wasnt d1 material...he's a great pitcher and i agree with you, i haven't heard about florida state, but he could play at some d1 schools im sure...

I wasn't saying that you did. Just that people don't know talent when the see it sometimes. We have a lot of talent in the mountains that goes undiscovered.
slingblade93 Wrote:I wasn't saying that you did. Just that people don't know talent when the see it sometimes. We have a lot of talent in the mountains that goes undiscovered.

well i agree sometimes that is the case, but in most cases its the opposite...people think somebody is alot better than what they really are...sometimes on certain teams in the mountains, just because they are the best player on that team doesn't mean they are scholarship worthy....but i will agree there are 2 possibly 3 players that are d1 material in the 15th...i can't think of much more than that...
Hayes is the only D-1 prospect for this upcoming senior class. If Grimm has been throwing alot and working on his arm strenght since last baseball season to where he is pitching from 85-88 I think he could be a D-1. If he doesn't gain any velocity from last year I'd say he will end up at a Pikeville college or small Juco.

Does anyone know a list of players that have signed D-1 letters in the past 5 to 6 years? I can only think of a few.
slingblade93 Wrote:I know for a fact that Shane Grimm is d-1 material. He is even going to make a visit with Florida State, I believe. If you are not D-1 material the likes of cincy and Wvu would not take interest in you. He is a strong thrower with great velocity and accuracy along with being left handed. He is also one of the smartest baseball kids I have seen in the area. Lets keep the thread on track.
I didn't know we had college scouts amongst us here.Big Grin
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I didn't know we had college scouts amongst us here.Big Grin

Don't have to be a scout, smart ***, to know talent. If he is not D-1 material then why are D-1 colleges looking at him?Big Grin