Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What’s next for Prestonsburg?
What about JR Vanhoose. You think he would get into head coaching again?
(06-09-2022, 01:47 PM)papabear02 Wrote: What about JR Vanhoose. You think he would get into head coaching again?
I think JR would be a excellent hire, but I don’t know if he’s interested. Seems to really enjoy teaching and helping out McKenzie at Johnson Central.
I thought Prestonsburg was on to something when they had Brandon Gearheart come over from the girls program. If I am not mistaken, one of his first hires was Justin Allen as an assistant and you won't find a more loyal, passionate person about Prestonsburg than Allen. They improved as the season ended and had a great victory over Betsy Layne in the District Tournament. For whatever reason, after the season ended, Gearheart was out in favor of Brent Rose.

If I am not mistaken, when Rose resigned, Gearheart applied for the job which as we know went to Casey Huff. Maybe he will get another shot at it and if he does, I can imagine he'd ask Justin if he'd be interested in being an assistant again. I know he has a son that is quite the athlete and did well this past season playing for the Blackcats. If given time, I think those two could get Prestonsburg built back up and with both being a bit younger could stick around for a while.
(06-09-2022, 05:40 PM)clipperw Wrote: I thought Prestonsburg was on to something when they had Brandon Gearheart come over from the girls program. If I am not mistaken, one of his first hires was Justin Allen as an assistant and you won't find a more loyal, passionate person about Prestonsburg than Allen. They improved as the season ended and had a great victory over Betsy Layne in the District Tournament. For whatever reason, after the season ended, Gearheart was out in favor of Brent Rose.

If I am not mistaken, when Rose resigned, Gearheart applied for the job which as we know went to Casey Huff. Maybe he will get another shot at it and if he does, I can imagine he'd ask Justin if he'd be interested in being an assistant again. I know he has a son that is quite the athlete and did well this past season playing for the Blackcats. If given time, I think those two could get Prestonsburg built back up and with both being a bit younger could stick around for a while.
I appreciate the kind words. It’s generally not a secret who I am on here so again, thanks for the shout out. You’re right, I do have a passion for Prestonsburg athletics that extends well past my son playing for this school. I’m like any other parent that yes, I want my son to succeed. Who doesn’t? But I’m not only in it for him. I want Prestonsburg to flourish like it did during my time in high school. Friday nights were filled with students in the bleachers watching the football Blackcats dominate. And while basketball still wasn’t real successful then either, we had decent crowds and school spirit. I don’t know what it’s going to take to get back there again, but I can promise whether I’m a coach or not, I’ll do my best to try and help promote the school to be the best it can be.
[-] The following 2 users Like BCF4L's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, clipperw
(06-09-2022, 05:18 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 01:47 PM)papabear02 Wrote: What about JR Vanhoose. You think he would get into head coaching again?
I think JR would be a excellent hire, but I don’t know if he’s interested. Seems to really enjoy teaching and helping out McKenzie at Johnson Central.
I hope the new search committee reaches out to VanHoose.  I think he would be the one who takes Prestonsburg in the long haul.  

I also like Gearheart, Hopkins and Murdock.  Or if they could get Vanhoose or Hopkins, get Murdock, Gearheart or Hopkins on as an assistant.  

that’s building a program in my opinion.  I also think the parents were not rightfully heard when they pushed for Kory.  It’s unfortunate that he wasn’t hired.
[-] The following 1 user Likes papabear02's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Lets be honest, It really doesn't matter who gets the coaching job because they will eventually be ran off regardless of how well they do. I haven't been as involved in the high school programs as much as I have been in the past, but in order for Prestonsburg to be successful in any sport, the parents need to take a back seat. Politics have always been an issue, but nothing like I have seen in the past ten years. If I had a voice in the matter I would reach out to J.R. Vanhoose. I think he has the name, personality, and knowledge of the game to build a successful program. That's just my two cents.
(06-13-2022, 07:32 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Lets be honest, It really doesn't matter who gets the coaching job because they will eventually be ran off regardless of how well they do. I haven't been as involved in the high school programs as much as I have been in the past, but in order for Prestonsburg to be successful in any sport, the parents need to take a back seat. Politics have always been an issue, but nothing like I have seen in the past ten years. If I had a voice in the matter I would reach out to J.R. Vanhoose. I think he has the name, personality, and knowledge of the game to build a successful program. That's just my two cents.

Unfortunately, the parents and politics has ran off several good coaches in eastern Kentucky this year. It’s not just Prestonsburg, it’s everywhere. Parents and kids are weak anymore and only about themselves. 
(06-13-2022, 07:32 AM)Blackcat 4 Life Wrote: Lets be honest, It really doesn't matter who gets the coaching job because they will eventually be ran off regardless of how well they do. I haven't been as involved in the high school programs as much as I have been in the past, but in order for Prestonsburg to be successful in any sport, the parents need to take a back seat. Politics have always been an issue, but nothing like I have seen in the past ten years. If I had a voice in the matter I would reach out to J.R. Vanhoose. I think he has the name, personality, and knowledge of the game to build a successful program. That's just my two cents.

Are you looking for a name or are you looking for a basketball coach?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • TRex34

Which former Prestonsburg coach was ever ran off by parents? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I can't really think of a instance. I know some parents step over the line every now and then, but that happens everywhere.

As for JR, I'm all in if he's interested. He would be a big time hire for the boys program and would fit in great at PHS.
They need someone that can develop I don’t think they stack up to the Betsy Laynes and of Lawrence picks up some players they are a scary team well coached good culture and floyd central giving it another go
They need to focus on someone to build culture they don’t stack up to the Betsy laynes and Lawrence co who have structure and a culture and Floyd central is running it back I think Betsy Layne and Lawrence are two of the most well coached teams in the 15th
BL has good culture? I’ve watched them since Newsome has been there. Doesn’t seem like good culture to me especially if you look how they acted when their season was coming to an end last year. Newsome hasn’t done anything as a head coach outside winning a few districts in both girls and boys.

I’m hearing PBurg is going to hire Hopkins. They’ve been a lot of good applicants and I’m
Still not shocked that’s it’s going to be Hopkins. I think he will be loyal and dedicated to Prestonsburg and try build a good program. If he is named Coach, I wish him nothing but the best.
Hopkins is the obvious choice here.
(06-16-2022, 11:33 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Deleted post
People act like only Pikeville gets them.  So Tanner Hall left FC to Pikeville. Oh wait he went to BL.  Huff brought in the kid from JBS last year.  PBurg best player went to JC last year.  Belfry 4 of their 5 starters last year weren’t from Belfry.  Du’Toit was from Tate’s Creek.   Everyone gets transfers.  I wish poster would quit signaling out Pikeville. It gets old 

What Pburg needs is someone whose going to be dedicated and that will stop the kids from Prestonsburg going somewhere else.  Rose, The Fugates, Rainey, Hopkins and a few more would still be there if they would have made the correct hire from the start.   Huff was always a rental until the Knott job came open and it happen to come open sooner than people thought.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Grinch1's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Hopkins will get the job, his son will move from FC to PBurg. He wants the job. Get someone that wants to be there, not just waiting for a better opportunity.
Hopkins will be a great hire. At least he’s not afraid to tell his boy to come to Pburg as a head coach.

(06-16-2022, 02:04 PM)papabear02 Wrote: Hopkins will be a great hire.  At least he’s not afraid to tell his boy to come to Pburg and play if he is hired as head coach.  
Chase Parsley is the man according to D&D sports. A good hire I believe. My only concern is will he treat the job the same way Huff did and leave as soon as something he thinks is better becomes available. Only time will tell. I wish him luck.
Terrible hire. I see now why Prestonsburg has fallen so far.