Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weightlifting and supplements
I have noticed here lately that more and more kids these days are more physically fit than ever before.  What are most of them the players taking these days?  I know SARMS are a big deal these days.  Just wondering what all is the best.
Soup beans and corn bread is what I recommend. Lots of taters. LOL.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Mountain Monster, pjdoug
Yeah that usually never works, Ive been on that program a long time.
[-] The following 3 users Like The_Rock's post:
  • Bull got out!, Hoot Gibson, Mountain Monster
Every kid had a personal trainer trying to sell supplements to them now. Some trainers are good however but some are empty promises
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Alot of these kids are just the product of amazing genetics, I know of two here in Powell County I have personally seen and coached that I would put against anyone in the state in a Weight competition. They are going to be sophomores and they are incredible, and they are natural just eat great. Sarms are certainly a real thing too though and while I don't know how many kids are on them if any, I would advise caution they are not steroids, but they do have some side effects that can be bad. A doctor told me that it can also show up drug screens like a steroid so that's something to keep in mind, but I have heard conflicting reports on that matter.
I spoke with a few trainers and got the same advice. For a 6th-8th grade kid, who is looking to add bulk, and is already eating a quality diet wirh positive training habbits, to add an 8oz glass of chocolate milk and a PBJ as the last meal of the day about an hour before bed. Once they get to the HS level you can start adding supplements and more protein intake. Some some info i got. I have an 11yo that can eat whatever he wants and not gain a pound, but he is obsessed with bulking up. So thats what we have been doing with him throughout summer workouts and it seems to be working. On the other hand, me and my 13yo can smell a donut from a block away and gain 10lbs. Lol
[-] The following 2 users Like Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • 64SUR, Bull got out!
I’ve been a trainer/strength coach for several years and a gym rat for pretty much my whole life. My experience with most supplements is that you have to be careful with what you get due to the market being unregulated by the FDA. Unfortunately many coaches at the developmental level don’t have a solid background in sports nutrition and don’t properly educate their athletes about the potential risks involved with using supplements. Many of these products contain banned substances and I know at the high school level testing for these substances is rare but the kids could run into issues down the road if they play at the next level and weren’t educated about the risks of possibly using a banned substance on accident. I would also advise anyone under 18 to stay away from any preworkout supplements because these tend to have high levels of stimulants that you really don’t need.

The only supplement that I would be ok with kids using would be protein powder and I would still be careful with that for the reasons I just listed above. I know some kids like to use creatine too and I am not arguing that it works but with a young developing body I’m not sure if they really need it at that point in their development. Teenage boys tend to have a natural surge of testosterone around 14-15 years old and at that age a healthy diet, adequate water intake, regular sleep, and a structured weight program will usually produce the results that they are looking for anyway without using any supplements.
[-] The following 2 users Like Orange Blaze's post:
  • Bull got out!, DarthVader
(06-04-2022, 07:32 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: I’ve been a trainer/strength coach for several years and a gym rat for pretty much my whole life.  My experience with most supplements is that you have to be careful with what you get due to the market being unregulated by the FDA.  Unfortunately many coaches at the developmental level don’t have a solid background in sports nutrition and don’t properly educate their athletes about the potential risks involved with using supplements.  Many of these products contain banned substances and I know at the high school level testing for these substances is rare but the kids could  run into issues down the road if they play at the next level and weren’t educated about the risks of possibly using a banned substance on accident.  I would also advise anyone under 18 to stay away from any preworkout supplements because these tend to have high levels of stimulants that you really don’t need. 

The only supplement that I would be ok with kids using would be protein powder and I would still be careful with that for the reasons I just listed above.  I know some kids like to use creatine too and I am not arguing that it works but with a young developing body I’m not sure if they really need it at that point in their development.  Teenage boys tend to have a natural surge of testosterone around 14-15 years old and at that age a healthy diet, adequate water intake, regular sleep, and a structured weight program will usually produce the results that they are looking for anyway without using any supplements.

Double super like this post! 100% true.
(06-04-2022, 07:32 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote: I’ve been a trainer/strength coach for several years and a gym rat for pretty much my whole life.  My experience with most supplements is that you have to be careful with what you get due to the market being unregulated by the FDA.  Unfortunately many coaches at the developmental level don’t have a solid background in sports nutrition and don’t properly educate their athletes about the potential risks involved with using supplements.  Many of these products contain banned substances and I know at the high school level testing for these substances is rare but the kids could  run into issues down the road if they play at the next level and weren’t educated about the risks of possibly using a banned substance on accident.  I would also advise anyone under 18 to stay away from any preworkout supplements because these tend to have high levels of stimulants that you really don’t need. 

The only supplement that I would be ok with kids using would be protein powder and I would still be careful with that for the reasons I just listed above.  I know some kids like to use creatine too and I am not arguing that it works but with a young developing body I’m not sure if they really need it at that point in their development.  Teenage boys tend to have a natural surge of testosterone around 14-15 years old and at that age a healthy diet, adequate water intake, regular sleep, and a structured weight program will usually produce the results that they are looking for anyway without using any supplements.

Well said!