Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has a Kentucky High School field goal post ever been torn down in celebration?
It's happened twice at Commonwealth Stadium...... the field goal posts came down in celebration. 

We won't talk about the Bluegrass Miracle game vs. LSU in 2002 when the fans we're already trying to tear the field goal post down.

[Image: https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/As...701094.jpg]
October 4th, 1997 vs. Alabama

[Image: http://kyphotoarchive.com/wp-content/upl...50x366.jpg]
November 4th, 2006 vs. Georgia

The field goal posts have came down a few times at Papa John's stadium as well.

My question is, has there ever been a field goal post torn down in a Kentucky high school game?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I’ve never seen it
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
During the 1997 regional final, when Lawrence County snapped Breathitt's 42 game winning streak, fans tore down the goal post, and carried it to mid field, while the Breathitt coaching staff was consoling the players after the toughest loss in program history. Shortly after, a brawl broke out amongst the fans and players. It was an ugly and muddy night in Louisa!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cat Daddy's post:
  • Pulp Fiction
(06-03-2022, 10:43 AM)Spud6 Wrote: I’ve never seen it
I've never heard of it happening.... but I've not really asked other parts of the state about it either.
(06-03-2022, 11:11 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: During the 1997 regional final, when Lawrence County snapped Breathitt's 42 game winning streak, fans tore down the goal post, and carried it to mid field, while the Breathitt coaching staff was consoling the players after the toughest loss in program history. Shortly after, a brawl broke out amongst the fans and players. It was an ugly and muddy night in Louisa!
Didn't know about this......
Yes! Raceland cut them down after beating Pikeville a few years back.
(06-06-2022, 10:43 AM)yellowstone Wrote: Yes! Raceland cut them down after beating Pikeville a few years back.

With a cutting torch?
I bet that’s a sight to see at the end of a high school game. The Lawrence/Breathitt deal is pretty legendary across the state for those that follow. That was a huge game.
It took about 20 minutes, a cutting torch, and grinder from hell and alot of patience. Bit Raceland brought down the north endzone goal post when they beat Pikeville for their first trip to state. Granted, new post were going in that offseason...so it may not have happened if not for that. But that thing was a grizzly bear to make fall lol
(06-06-2022, 11:33 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: It took about 20 minutes, a cutting torch, and grinder from hell and alot of patience. Bit Raceland brought down the north endzone goal post when they beat Pikeville for their first trip to state. Granted, new post were going in that offseason...so it may not have happened if not for that. But that thing was a grizzly bear to make fall lol

That’s great that it timed up with the same time they were able to make it to their first trip to state. That’s a neat experience for kids and the communities.
I was at the Raceland/Pikeville game in 2017 when the goal-post came down. The cutting torch didn't have the same feel as watching fans actually pull them down. I don't think you'll see many true instances of the goal-post being torn down due to the fact that it requires a ton of people storming the field. I don't even really remember many people being on Raceland's field that night other than the coaches and players.
(06-06-2022, 11:33 AM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: It took about 20 minutes, a cutting torch, and grinder from hell and alot of patience. Bit Raceland brought down the north endzone goal post when they beat Pikeville for their first trip to state. Granted, new post were going in that offseason...so it may not have happened if not for that. But that thing was a grizzly bear to make fall lol

LOL!
Fairview tore them down after beating Boyd County for the first time maybe ever about a decade ago. They also tore them down after beating Hazard in the state semi. There was a lot of enthusiasm surrounding Fairview football when the McPeeks were there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • scrappy coco
(06-07-2022, 09:15 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Fairview tore them down after beating Boyd County for the first time maybe ever about a decade ago.  They also tore them down after beating Hazard in the state semi.  There was a lot of enthusiasm surrounding Fairview football when the McPeeks were there.
And also a lot of illegal activity
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Gitback Coach
I heard they tore down one at Clay County and sold it for scrap metal once.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Gitback Coach
I was on that Breathitt team in 97 when Lawrence Co fans tore goal post down and brought it to where our team was huddled. Very disrespectful. I remember the brawl that followed and also recall one of our former players stabbing 2 Lawrence Co fans. Crazy night for sure. That one still cuts deep all these years later.