Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 for 13th & 14th Region
I know it’s early. I look for Leslie to do big things in 

the 14th. 13th is full of talent with Corbin both the Laurels and Bell.
Owsley County lost 2700 career points when Lexy Lynch graduated (and has a visit to Alice Lloyd College Monday) but they will still be very competitive in the region next season. They return 4 starters from their 14th region runner-up team.
14th Region
1. Perry
2. Leslie
3. Owsley
4. Letcher
5. Knott

Gonna be Perry’s for a while.
(06-04-2022, 08:39 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: 14th Region
1.  Perry
2.  Leslie
3.  Owsley
4.  Letcher
5.  Knott

Gonna be Perry’s for a while.
They do have most their team back from last year’s 19-14 year, so yes, the Lady Commodores will be a contender for sure. I don’t think they are a clear-cut top of the region good though. There’s several teams that will be in the hunt for the championship along with them. 
However, I will amend that thinking if Perry has picked up some more players that I’m not aware of that will help.
Leslie
Perry
Knott
Owsley
Powell
I heard that Gayheart of KCC is enrolling at PCC. If so that will give them a big boost. She’s a very good playmaker.
Gayheart is a DIFFERENCE MAKER
It be interesting to see how well they gel together. It’s not easy walking onto another team. PCC was already guard heavy to begin with. She will definitely help them tho!
(06-06-2022, 10:43 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Gayheart is a DIFFERENCE MAKER
Yes she is. Great ball handler and playmaker.

(06-03-2022, 10:51 PM)Mountain-man Wrote: I know it’s early. I look for Leslie to do big things in 

the 14th. 13th is full of talent with Corbin both the Laurels and Bell.
What about Knox? They have the Collins girl who is probably the regions best player. Does she have anyone to help her?
Heard Collins girl is headed back to North Laurel.
(06-07-2022, 02:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Heard Collins girl is headed back to North Laurel.
Someone told me that there was a possibility she may end up at South Laurel. She is a big difference maker, most likely the region’s best player. Definitely will play D-1 in college in a few years.
13th Region
Corbin
NL
Bell
SL
Knox

14th Region
Perry
Leslie
Letcher
Owsley
Knott

This could change by November but this is my way to early top 5 rankings for the 13th and 14th Regions.
I think at this point of the year, summer ball and so forth, and with 6 months to go before the 2022-23 season starts, that one could throw about 4 or 5 teams into a hat and pull out a different #1 every week. I think Perry, Owsley, Leslie, Letcher and maybe Knott (but not sure about them if Gayheart leaves) are all in the mix with no clear cut favorite. That’s just my opinion.
Don’t know a lot about 13th region but 14th region is always fun to watch. So much hidden talent. Watched several summer games and have to say Letcher is definitely being underestimated this year and that’s not a bad thing. They lost three starters but they’re rebuilding. Couch is an all around great player. Whitt is stepping up making some shots and her defense is best in the region. Excited to watch these two. Knott seems to have split up heard several transferring to hazard and PCC, not sure if that’s true or not. What happened there? Leslie and Owlsey are always tough competitors. Can’t wait until tournament time.
I’ll give a “Way Too Early For Seriousness Predictions” for each 14th region District and leave the actual region predictions for later in the year. These will most likely shuffle some due to roster changes but this is how I see it as of middle of June.

53rd
1 Letcher Central
2 Knott Central
3 June Buchanan
4 Cordia

54th
1 Leslie County
2 Perry Central
3 Buckhorn
4 Hazard

55th
1 Breathitt County
2 Wolfe County
3 Jackson City
4 Riverside Christian

56th
1 Owsley County
2 Powell County
3 Estill County
4 Lee County
I don’t think Jackson City or Riverside Christian had girls teams this season, don’t know if they’re having teams next season or not.
(06-17-2022, 11:19 PM)Justthefacts1 Wrote: I don’t think Jackson City or Riverside Christian had girls teams this season, don’t know if they’re having teams next season or not.
You’re correct, they didn’t. I rated them as for the possibility that they have a team this season, but my guess it will be doubtful, especially for Riverside Christian.
Breathitt needs put in the 54th and Wolfe needs put in the 56th. Should be no FREE RIDES to the region. Ridiculous
(06-18-2022, 04:18 PM)IDukeBoy Wrote: Breathitt needs put in the 54th and Wolfe needs put in the 56th.  Should be no FREE RIDES to the region.  Ridiculous
That would remove the 55th from having a representative and upset the KHSAA format and World Order as we know it, lol.

54th and 56th already have 4 teams. Breathitt and Wolfe are just fortunate, I suppose, by being in the same district with two teams not having enough girls for teams.
The 14th has several schools barely hanging on. Someone needs to move from the 13th. There should be at least 16 teams.
(06-18-2022, 09:31 PM)HCS Wrote: The 14th has several schools barely hanging on. Someone needs to move from the 13th. There should be at least 16 teams.
Jackson County would be a good fit for the 14th. They join Owsley, Lee, and Estill. And maybe also add OBI, which is only 19 miles from Booneville and also a close drive to Leslie High and Buckhorn.
Jenkins has petitioned to come back to 14th. Need to be
Harlan County and Harlan Ind would be great additions
[-] The following 1 user Likes UKisN1's post:
  • HCS
(06-19-2022, 12:14 PM)UKisN1 Wrote: Jenkins has petitioned to come back to 14th. Need to be

Yes, I always thought Letcher, Jenkins, Harlan County and Harlan would be a great district with Knott moving to the 15th Region or with Breathitt in the 55th District.
Harlan County also borders three 14th Region counties in Perry, Letcher and Leslie, including the two largest in the region probably.
Clay was mentioned in the last realignment and would make sense. I hadn't really thought of Jackson, but I'd imagine that half of the 14th would have to drive through Clay to get there. I will have to look up the map on that one.
Need to fix the Breathitt/Wolfe district Period. Nobody should automatically go to region. Heck maybe it’s time for KHSAA should revert to Super Regionals. If you can’t win a certain number of games, don’t need to be in it.
(06-19-2022, 06:55 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Need to fix the Breathitt/Wolfe district Period.  Nobody should automatically go to region.  Heck maybe it’s time for KHSAA should revert to Super Regionals.  If you can’t win a certain number of games, don’t need to be in it.
Would Buckhorn be a good fit for this district? Seems like they are closer to Jackson than Hazard and Campton than Hyden. It would take 54 down to 3 unless another team joined.
12th has 16 teams
13th has 17 teams
14th has 16 teams
15th has 15 teams
16th has 16 teams

There’s not much room to move teams around. Maybe move a 14th region team to the 15th and a 13th to the 14th. That would make all the mountain regions 16 teams.
The 11th has become too large.
You could move all four Madison schools to the 12th Region and move Rockcastle and/or McCreary to the 13th. You then add Woodford back to the 11th and you still have 16 teams there.
Some of the 9th Region teams could move to the east/south and help out the 16th with teams from the 10th.
(06-19-2022, 01:20 PM)HCS Wrote:
(06-19-2022, 12:14 PM)UKisN1 Wrote: Jenkins has petitioned to come back to 14th. Need to be

Yes, I always thought Letcher, Jenkins, Harlan County and Harlan would be a great district with Knott moving to the 15th Region or with Breathitt in the 55th District.
Harlan County also borders three 14th Region counties in Perry, Letcher and Leslie, including the two largest in the region probably.
Clay was mentioned in the last realignment and would make sense. I hadn't really thought of Jackson, but I'd imagine that half of the 14th would have to drive through Clay to get there. I will have to look up the map on that one.

Don’t want to get this topic too far off the rails but Clay and OBI should’ve gone to the 14th. Wanted to keep that historical 13th region identity (and it was fine for a decade or so) but would’ve had a lot more success over the last few years if they had. Any idea when a new realignment would happen? It feels like 16+ years is long enough.
This is probably a subject for another thread but I agree with HCS that the 11th is too big at 19 schools. The 9th also has 19.
With all the consolidations in recent years, which far outnumber the school districts that add new schools such as Scott County with Great Crossing, the time has arrived for another look at realignment. 2005 was the last time that happened and there’s been a lot of changes since then.
I heard at basketball camp this weekend that Abigail and Naomi Noble are transferring to Buckhorn. If this is true that would help Buckhorn and hurt us at Breathitt County.