Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phelps football - the end?
The state government as a whole does not care about southeastern Ky. Entire area has bad leadership. Always has, we get the leftovers.
(06-10-2022, 11:00 PM)Big Five-0- Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 11:38 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Lots of great people at Phelps now and over the years. The McCoy brothers gave much back there
It’s so isolated and I hate it
Love Phelps worked there in my summers off from college
Learned more in those summers than all year in college
I fear Phelps will be another lost place that nobody remembers
No place better than Phelps KY
I've spent a lot of time myself in Phelps back when coal was really moving. Your right jet. many a good people in Phelps
Absolutely.
Eastridge is across the hill from Phelps, they had kids enroll already from Phelps
There are several options surrounding Phelps, however, none of them are close by any means.

Distance by Time from Phelps HS:

East Ridge HS, 31m - 20.2mi
Belfry HS, 31m - 18.2mi
Pike Central HS, 36m - 27.6mi
Mingo Central (WVa) HS, 34m - 22.8mi
Hurley (VA) HS, 33m - 20.2mi
It would be interesting to see how close the kids are to Belfry, Pike Central and East Ridge for those who live closest to each area and the bus runs are adjust accordingly to include them at each of the three schools.
(06-10-2022, 05:29 PM)KColley Wrote: If you think six high schools for a county the size of Pike County is too many, I am sorry, but I am going to have to disagree with you on that one.

I have covered sports in both Kentucky and Ohio and having traveled to Pike County as a football player (Russell-Belfry twice, 2008 and 2010) and as a sports reporter (West Carter-Pike County Central, 2016), I can tell you that six is definitely not too many. If anything, a case could be made for another.

However, I wouldn't know where you would put it in Pike County unless it is in the far southeastern section of the county. Like many have commented, I feel terrible for the kids and families who live in the far southeastern part of the county. I can't even imagine how far it takes for them to get to school every day, especially those who live in Paw Paw, Argo, Woodman, Stopover, and Majestic. It's probably not a walk in the park for those who live in Ransom or McCarr, either. I'm sure that folks in Ashcamp and Shelby Gap in the far southwestern end of the county or Hatfield, McCombs and Gulnare wouldn't mind a shorter drive.

With population dropping by nearly 10,000 in the county over the last 10 years, however, building another high school isn't feasible to me. Six is probably going to be the way it is for a while but I could see that number dropping to four eventually if the county population keeps trending in the wrong direction.

Consolidation, and more particularly the placement of high schools in the consolidation plans, are hurting Floyd, Harlan, Letcher and Pike Counties. Obviously, the loss of jobs and what I believe to be a lack of attention by our governments to helping with those issues are feeding into that, as well. Then you have Leslie, Magoffin and Martin Counties, who should only have one high school like they do but really need serious help with road construction.

The idea of Interstate 66 being built in southern Kentucky was supposed to help with a lot of the counties above, but because that never came to pass, the problems that many kids and families have had for basically two generations now is enhanced even more because of these consolidations and the lack of jobs.
I-66 was some scam to make a few politicians rich. Everyone around here pretty well knew that. We knew if that road ever got built( and that’s was an IF big enough you could see from space) our Great Grandchildren would driving on it if they’re lucky…
(06-12-2022, 02:20 PM)Real Badman Wrote: There are several options surrounding Phelps, however, none of them are close by any means.

Distance by Time from Phelps HS:

East Ridge HS, 31m - 20.2mi
Belfry HS, 31m - 18.2mi
Pike Central HS, 36m - 27.6mi
Mingo Central (WVa) HS, 34m - 22.8mi
Hurley (VA) HS, 33m - 20.2mi

So is it a done deal? Is Phelps not looking for a coach? They've always had low numbers. Programs don't fold just because they're not expected to be very good, just look at the first 2 rounds of the playoffs.
ANOTHER bye week for Pikeville. The schedule has been crazy the last 5 years
I've heard they've had 14 at weighting and expecting 8 more after dead period.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I'm pretty sure everyone would hate too see Phelps not field a football team, hopefully they can get enough kids who want to represent the community on Friday nights to come out and play some football.
sure hope phelps fields a team everyone deserves to play football or the chance to
(06-23-2022, 09:45 PM)Humpty Dumpty Wrote: I'm pretty sure everyone would hate too see Phelps not field a football team, hopefully they can get enough kids who want to represent the community on Friday nights to come out and play some football.
It’s heartbreaking, it really is.
It's happened so many times over the years. Elkhorn City, in the same county, was really good, at one time anyway. The game goes on.