Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey, Grandpa! What's fer Dinner? (or breakfast or lunch)
A sausage, pepper, and onion sandwich is pretty simple eating for me. I just finished eating one for lunch and it is one of the best things that I have ever cooked.

If you prefer simple, southern cooking, of all the places that I have lived, central Mississippi has the hands-down best food that I have ever eaten. Home-style fried catfish; pulled pork; fried chicken; fresh, affordable seafood; fried green tomatoes; fried pickles; chicken and dumplings; meatloaf; etc. - Jackson has the tastiest restaurant food of anywhere I have been. 

If you ever drive through Jackson during daylight hours, I highly recommend driving through Tony's Tamalies. If your mom cooked better meals than Tony, then she was a much better cook than my mom - and my mom was a pretty good cook. (My best advice if you drive through Jackson at night is to stay on the interstate and do not roll to a stop anywhere in Hinds County.)

"Sous vide" is a French word that sounds fancy, but there is not a good short way of describing cooking food in vacuum packaging in hot water. It is just a variation of the "low and slow" cooking method and it can be combined with other cooking methods to save a lot of time. It also allows you to safely cook food straight from the freezer by just adding some time to allow for defrosting. A lot of meat and fish is vacuum packed, so you can drop it straight into a sous vide bath.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
Messages In This Thread
RE: Hey, Grandpa! What's fer Dinner? (or breakfast or lunch) - by Hoot Gibson - 02-19-2023, 02:31 PM