Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Mitchell has been named head football coach at South Laurel High School
Allen Mitchell has been named head football coach at South Laurel High School, replacing Jep Irwin who was named athletic director recently. Coach Mitchell has served as a teacher and assistant football coach at South Laurel for the past four seasons.

https://www.sentinel-echo.com/sports/mitchell-named-head-football-coach-of-south-laurel-football-program/article_c7dc7e84-ee49-11ec-add1-27faafa0075f.html?utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social
Congratulations to Coach Mitchell….
He a within the program hire?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Is Mad Dog Mike Garland going to be the DC?
Irwin said Mitchell is a “great choice” to take over the South Laurel football program.

LOL
I thought the process by law was to post the job for thirty days
I may be wrong but isn’t the job supposed to be posted
(06-19-2022, 01:37 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Irwin said Mitchell is a “great choice” to take over the South Laurel football program.

LOL

I have to agree with a lame brain on this one
He has a very, very, very tough road ahead of him and that might be an understatement with what they have in South London right now. What makes this hire a good one? What is considered success for the Cardinals at this point?
(06-26-2022, 03:04 PM)DarthVader Wrote: He has a very, very, very tough road ahead of him and that might be an understatement with what they have in South London right now. What makes this hire a good one? What is considered success for the Cardinals at this point?

I’m not sure how you can consider this a good hire, I know Coach Mitchell and he’s a fine person but I’m not sure what kind of HC he’ll be and there is a serious talent disparity with almost every school on their schedule especially district… There couldn’t have been a worse time for Coach Irwin to step aside imo but until the powers that be start taking football serious in South London success would prolly be holding on to key players and fielding a roster of at least 40 to 50 players.  The fact that last time I’d heard there was no little league football program for the kids to get started in Laurel Co only perpetuates the problem, even if you started one now it could take a decade or longer to even start seeing a little success like making it to the playoffs…
2 QB's have left the program since this coaching change as taken place. Should we read anything into this?
What a cluster.
(06-27-2022, 02:36 PM)RTruth Wrote: What a cluster.

A huge cluster. Makes you wonder why the previous AD resigned and what power Irwin will have in athletics. Will he give orders to Davis?
(06-26-2022, 06:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote: 2 QB's have left the program since this coaching change as taken place.  Should we read anything into this?

Where did the qbs go to or did they quit?
(06-27-2022, 07:24 PM)Fan of many Wrote:
(06-26-2022, 06:39 PM)plantmanky Wrote: 2 QB's have left the program since this coaching change as taken place.  Should we read anything into this?

One is at Knox Central, I think Knox will be the 3rd school system for him in 3 years (Corbin-South Laurel-Knox). The other is going to Leslie County. His dad played at Leslie so looks like he will follow in his dad's footsteps.
(06-27-2022, 09:23 PM)jamesdeane Wrote:

One is at Knox Central, I think Knox will be the 3rd school system for him in 3 years (Corbin-South Laurel-Knox). The other is going to Leslie County. His dad played at Leslie so looks like he will follow in his dad's footsteps.
Yes the returning starter went to Leslie and will be a sophomore, his dad was a WR with Tim Couch there back in the day. If I’m not mistaken the kid originally came from Rockcastle. I saw online where the other one went to Knox and will be a freshman. I’m not sure where he was before middle school but I know he played for south laurel in 7th and 8th grade. Either way, tough losses. I also heard at least 4 or 5 other players have since transferred. Sounds like it might be a tough year in South London.
(06-28-2022, 01:12 AM)fansville Wrote:

Yes the returning starter went to Leslie and will be a sophomore, his dad was a WR with Tim Couch there back in the day. If I’m not mistaken the kid originally came from Rockcastle. I saw online where the other one went to Knox and will be a freshman. I’m not sure where he was before middle school but I know he played for south laurel in 7th and 8th grade. Either way, tough losses. I also heard at least 4 or 5 other players have since transferred. Sounds like it might be a tough year in South London.
Where did the others transfer too, were they good players
(06-28-2022, 07:47 PM)Fan of many Wrote:

I think they were freshman. Also heard Clay lost significant player to North and a bunch of young talent to North. North Also got a head middle coach from Clay. Big loss for Clay. Guy was a good coach.
(06-28-2022, 08:18 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(06-28-2022, 07:47 PM)Fan of many Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 07:24 PM)Fan of many Wrote: Where did the qbs go to or did they quit?
I think they were freshman. Also heard Clay lost significant player to North and a bunch of young talent to North. North Also got a head middle coach from Clay. Big loss for Clay. Guy was a good coach.
There was one I heard went to North Laurel that was supposedly an upperclassman who was going to be a starting OT. Losing those big guys up from  Same person told me North Laurel has 75+ players out, if true coach Chappel must have those boys excited and coming out of the halls to play.

What does South have coming back for 2022
(06-29-2022, 10:14 PM)Fan of many Wrote: What does South have coming back for 2022

mediocrity
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • jamesclay
(06-29-2022, 10:14 PM)Fan of many Wrote: What does South have coming back for 2022

If they were going to be good, do you think Jep would have quit ? Sad situation.
Not positive on truth to this but someone from Whitley and Knox said South Laurel was dropping out of district this year and waiting till realignment next year. Sure a rumor but was told that
(06-30-2022, 06:41 PM)Fan of many Wrote: Not positive on truth to this but someone from Whitley and Knox said South Laurel was dropping out of district this year and waiting till realignment next year. Sure a rumor but was told that

I don't believe that. WTH would be sitting around talking about South Laurel football during dead period? Not even their coaches or their AD !!
(06-30-2022, 03:14 PM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(06-29-2022, 10:14 PM)Fan of many Wrote: What does South have coming back for 2022

If they were going to be good, do you think Jep would have quit ? Sad situation.

If i was a good football coach moving to Athletic Director, I'd try to hire the best coach I could find.
  • Bull got out!
So why don't you be a sports director and a coach at the same time?
(07-11-2022, 04:02 AM)CoreyLittle Wrote: So why don't you be a sports director and a coach at the same time?

Many schools have rules against being AD and coach.
(07-11-2022, 04:02 AM)CoreyLittle Wrote: So why don't you be a sports director and a coach at the same time?

Good question. Bring me some Gatorade, please.
  • Bull got out!