Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
14th region predictions
Breathitt kids have never beat the Perry kids so I’m gonna leave it to that. I don’t think BB can make them that good, that quick. Don’t matter how many dunks the cats get. Beverly and Day along with the others is enough.
(08-11-2022, 12:49 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Breathitt kids have never beat the Perry kids so I’m gonna leave it to that.  I don’t think BB can make them that good, that quick.  Don’t matter how many dunks the cats get.  Beverly and Day along with the others is enough.
Well I understand your point, but other then those 2, there really is no proven “others”. Knight is a good player, Slone showed a lot of potential playing for Knott, but he’s all football , then it’s all young kids
(08-11-2022, 12:49 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Breathitt kids have never beat the Perry kids so I’m gonna leave it to that.  I don’t think BB can make them that good, that quick.  Don’t matter how many dunks the cats get.  Beverly and Day along with the others is enough.
Not exactly accurate. Breathitt beat them year before last. The team in the 14th that benefitted the most from the covid repeat year was Perry with a couple of nice seniors. That's last year, this is a new one.
I will take Perry 9 out of 10.
1. Breathitt county
2. Hazard
3. Perry central
4. Wolfe county
5. Letcher central
6. Estill county
7. Cordia
8. Powell county
9. Knott county
10. ????
Weak region
My top 5.

1. Breathitt. Return everyone except turner and add BB king as coach, clear cut favorite!!

2. Perry. Return Beverly, knight, day and add slone from KCC (if he plays ) plus Eversole and woods

3. Letcher. The addition of Huff from KCC makes them a contender

4. Hazard. Mainly because of Al Holland, he don’t have a very talented team, but he knows how to win, so they’ll be there in the end.

5. Tonight to tell,I’d say Wolfe county could be, who will Cordia have? Estill could be 5, Leslie will be better then people think, Knott county is way down, so a number of teams could be 5 in my opinion
Wonder how BB's health is. Heard from this summer was having a hard time. Hopefully he is ok by season starting. Here is my Top 5! Go ahead and snap into a slim jim title for Breathitt!

1. Breathitt Co
2. Letcher Co
3. Hazard
4. Perry
5. Estill Co
Title runs through Perry County. Better stick to picking the 15th BWO. Breathitt ain’t that good. Not real guard heavy. Perry has Beverly and that’s about enough.
You’re spot on duke boy. Breathitts players peaked when they were in middle school. I’d say Perry repeats.
Where is region played this year?
(09-10-2022, 07:51 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: You’re spot on duke boy. Breathitts players peaked when they were in middle school. I’d say Perry repeats.
Region is at Perry this year. Anyone heard anything on Cordia? I know Brooks left—what about the rest? Anyone comin in? 

Be interested in seeing what Thompson and Ritchie do at Wolfe as well.
(09-10-2022, 08:28 PM)Bluegrassguy Wrote:
(09-10-2022, 07:51 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: You’re spot on duke boy. Breathitts players peaked when they were in middle school. I’d say Perry repeats.
Region is at Perry this year. Anyone heard anything on Cordia? I know Brooks left—what about the rest? Anyone comin in? 

Be interested in seeing what Thompson and Ritchie do at Wolfe as well.
No one from cordia is coming back this season after coaching change..also heard the local kids that were on the team are not coming out this season..
Does Cordia have a team then? Only about 60 students I heard.
1. Breathiitt County & B.B. KING
2. PERRY COUNTY CENTRAL
3. ESTILL COUNTY
4. HAZARD
5. LETCHER COUNTY CENTRAL
6. WOLFE COUNTY
7. POWELL COUNTY
8. KNOTT COUNTY CENTRAL
9. CORDIA
10. ??????
Perry is 15 points better than Breathitt
I wouldn’t be so sure. Breathitt has the best player on the floor in Sperry with a good supporting class. Perry probably has the best team. Just think it’s closer than what we think.
Most athletic kid maybe CT but not the best basketball player. Beverly and Day are better Basketball players.
Breathitt should be one of the top teams in the state. They should win the 14th easy
(09-22-2022, 03:42 PM)Wolfeman Wrote: Breathitt should be one of the top teams in the state. They should win the 14th easy
Big Grin   Big Grin  I have to admit, I love the optimism. Something to keep in mind is that most years there is a huge talent gap between the 14th region and the rest of the state in basketball. I am curious as to when the last time a 14th region champ didn't get beat out in the first round of state playoffs?
True Sticky, lost by 50 last year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • TheStickyBandit
The 14th is the weakest of the 16 regions year in and year out, there’s little doubt about that. But someone will still win it and collect a championship banner, trophy and trip to Rupp. Winning it has its rewards.

My top 5 as of 9/22/22

1 Breathitt County
2 Perry County Central
3 Letcher County Central
4 Hazard
5 Knott County Central
(09-22-2022, 03:52 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 03:42 PM)Wolfeman Wrote: Breathitt should be one of the top teams in the state. They should win the 14th easy
Big Grin   Big Grin  I have to admit, I love the optimism. Something to keep in mind is that most years there is a huge talent gap between the 14th region and the rest of the state in basketball. I am curious as to when the last time a 14th region champ didn't get beat out in the first round of state playoffs?

Checked out the results going back to the 1999 season on the KHSAA website. 
2017- Perry Central beat Pikeville. 
2013- Knott Central beat Clay County.
2012- Knott Central beat Boone County. 
2008- Hazard beat South Laurel. 
2004- Perry Central beat Morgan County. 
2002- Whitesburg beat Wayne County.
(09-22-2022, 05:39 PM)clipperw Wrote:
(09-22-2022, 03:52 PM)TheStickyBandit Wrote:

Checked out the results going back to the 1999 season on the KHSAA website. 
2017- Perry Central beat Pikeville. 
2013- Knott Central beat Clay County.
2012- Knott Central beat Boone County. 
2008- Hazard beat South Laurel. 
2004- Perry Central beat Morgan County. 
2002- Whitesburg beat Wayne County.
Thanks for looking into it! I am somewhat surprised actually. I didn’t think that the 14th had even won that many times lol. 

On a side note though, the 2008 hazard team was tough.

I may be mistaken but if my memory serves me correctly, the 2012 Knott team had several freshmen on it that would go on to dominate the 14th region for their entire highschool careers. Cameron Justice, Simon Christon, and Evan Hall.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheStickyBandit's post:
  • clipperw
(09-22-2022, 02:33 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Most athletic kid maybe CT but not the best basketball player. Beverly and Day are better Basketball players.

My guess is Sperry will be rated No. 1 in the region. Looks like several colleges are already recruiting him.
Beverly is a solid, smart player, but Sperry is very athletic with good size.
(09-07-2022, 05:43 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Title runs through Perry County.  Better stick to picking the 15th BWO.  Breathitt ain’t that good.  Not real guard heavy.  Perry has Beverly and that’s about enough.
Not sure it will effect Perry central, but was told today that kizer slone isn’t playing hoops this year, he’s gonna focus on football and get ready for the senior campaign.
Recruiters are smart. Probably safe to say if a kid is getting several offers he’s probably the real deal. A lot of good talent. But i stand by my earlier comment.
BB King doesn’t play AAU style basketball. This will effect Sperry. Not sure how it will effect him but he’s not the shooter that Cam Justice was. He’s more a run and gun get to the rim player. Got a few more mouths to feed in that lineup. 3 of the other starters will want to get their shots regardless to what coach wants. The Hoskins kid will have a garbage man role. And that’s not a bad thing.
Everyone is sleeping on Letcher this season..I think they will surprise alot of people since the addition of Huff from KCC..the only problem I see with Letcher is leadership..to me they don’t have that one player to step and be “The Man” when it’s time..they got a much of very talented role players..but i still believe fury will make some noises in the region this season and be a top 5 team..
(09-22-2022, 12:58 PM)CriticalThinker Wrote: I wouldn’t be so sure. Breathitt has the best player on the floor in Sperry with a good supporting class. Perry probably has the best team. Just think it’s closer than what we think.
How does Perry have the best team? They return 2 starters and no one really knows what kind of team they will have
Perry wins.
Austin Sperry is without doubt the most talented player in the region. It’s not even close when you talk about upside. Colleges at that level don’t offer kids who are not that level or close. Big Bryce also makes them the favorite on paper. 
However, the region is Perry’s to lose, until someone proves it other wise no matter the deal. Interesting moves with the new head of officials being announced. And the resignation of Brian Cook. 
Also at Cordia, Lotts Creek could have some new people coming around soon from the rumors going around Perry co. Wondering if that gets Robinson and Brooks back. 
Hazard / Wolfe also are sleepers to win it, if Thompson gets hot in Campton anything can happen. Depending on cordia transfers all could be for nothing. After seeing and reading posts and their schedule Letcher appears to be a changed program. No real alpha in the pack but a ton of good high school players.