Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do any other schools have this problem?
thepharmacist Wrote:Amen!! I think someone on here may be trying to make a mountain out of a molehill!
This is a response to BasketBallFanOnly.
Keep it on topic--- NO personal attacks or this thread WILL BE CLOSED!!!
Let me get this straight.....some guy is going to the Hambley Complex on Friday Nights and tailgating before the football games....and this same guy while cooking his burgers and weiners is tearing down the rich tradition of Pikeville Football. Needless to say I am a bit confused by this post. So after all these years of having a top notch football program, we have this one man who is to blame for its demise!! He sounds like the scapegoat if you ask me!!
Redneck Wrote:Then why did you even bring up "tailgatin" to begin with if that's not the main concern here. Him tellin kids not to play ball and tailgatin are two totally different subjects.

Tailgaiting was part of the problem I had. Along with attempts to undermine PHS football and the kids that play it. My sole concern is the kids as a whole at PHS. I definitely can't stand when some outsider tries to corrupt the kids I love at the school I love.
Sarrr Wrote:Um, I've been to Pikeville, and their concession stand isn't that great. They have 2 windows, they're slow, and their hotdogs aren't very good. Their chili is the worst I've had this year. They didn't even have pizza when I was in line, and it wasn't even halftime! How can you run out of pizza in that slow of a concession stand before halftime!

Just kidding. ;P Honestly though, as slow as they are I don't see them generating a lot of money anyway.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the consession stand.
Lisa Douglas Wrote:If I was guessing... is this the same guy who managed to snarf the BlueGoose from the cheerleaders and is not from Pikeville and is boosting basketball over football @ a football school? I don't know about his religious affiliation... it sounds like he is "working it". I hope not though... how tacky would that be. I think it's grand that a church group wants to enable its youth in such a fashion! Sooo "cherries" to the church for boosting its youth! Raspberries to the "brought-on" who is undermining these other school groups.

Yes it is the same guy. Not only is he trying to destroy football but he is also trying to destroy the cheerleading program.
Capt. DH Wrote:I have noticed that at a few home games at Pikeville that someone has been having there own tailgate party to take money away from the boosters. This is absolutely outrageous that this guy would do such a thing. He is supposed to be some sort of board member at the school from what I have been told. I slos heard that he has it out for the football team for some reason and that is why he is doing it. I was just wondering if any other schools have a guy who is concerned with only one sport trying to destroy another? This is just terrible for the kids who are working their tails off to get better and win games. It also sounds to me like this guy cares more about himself and less about these other kids as a whole.

This is how the tread started. We have gone from he is taking money away from the boosters , to the Church, to the guy is destroying football, to he is destroying the cheerleaders. I really find it hard to believe that one individual could have this much of an impact on the school. Once again, "Where are the parents and coaches?"
Jeepman Wrote:This is how the tread started. We have gone from he is taking money away from the boosters , to the Church, to the guy is destroying football, to he is destroying the cheerleaders. I really find it hard to believe that one individual could have this much of an impact on the school. Once again, "Where are the parents and coaches?"

Once again, if you aren't from Pikeville then you probably have no idea what is going on then do you? The coaches and parents can only talk to the super so many times. It is now in his hands seeing as he now knows what is going on. If the tailgaiting is being done by the church I have no problem with it. I love the Church of Christ and all that go to it. What they do is great and they have a great preacher. This other guy, to my knowledge, isn't affiliated with this church.
Capt. DH Wrote:Once again, if you aren't from Pikeville then you probably have no idea what is going on then do you? The coaches and parents can only talk to the super so many times. It is now in his hands seeing as he now knows what is going on. If the tailgaiting is being done by the church I have no problem with it. I love the Church of Christ and all that go to it. What they do is great and they have a great preacher. This other guy, to my knowledge, isn't affiliated with this church.

I hope things work out.
Jeepman Wrote:I hope things work out.

Thanks. I really hope they do as well.
So if someone asked Harmon, Honaker, both of them, Richie, and all the other football players not to play, Pikeville wouldnt even have enough to suit up a team? SHHHHH! Keep that info from the teams that they have to play will you?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
Midee1 Wrote:At Russell we tailgated for several years. The boosters and friends got together and brought dishes. We all ate pregame then we fed the team with leftovers. It never affected the football boosters because they never received any money from the concession stands any how.

Every time that we played at Russell, they always tailgated. They always had some good food. I don't really see the harm in tailgaiting.
Capt. DH Wrote:Once again, if you aren't from Pikeville then you probably have no idea what is going on then do you? The coaches and parents can only talk to the super so many times. It is now in his hands seeing as he now knows what is going on. If the tailgaiting is being done by the church I have no problem with it. I love the Church of Christ and all that go to it. What they do is great and they have a great preacher. This other guy, to my knowledge, isn't affiliated with this church.

Speaking of knowing what's going on....FYI...this guy is very much affiliated wtih this church.
KyGurl Wrote:Sounds like a good idea!!! Dont understand why anyone would complain. Keep it going!!:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

i agree
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So if someone asked Harmon, Honaker, both of them, Richie, and all the other football players not to play, Pikeville wouldnt even have enough to suit up a team? SHHHHH! Keep that info from the teams that they have to play will you?

It is the younger kids that are being dooped by this guy. Harmon, the Honakers, and Ritchie wouldn't even think about not playing to my knowledge. Why don't you ask them tommorrow before you get on the bus?
Capt. DH Wrote:It is the younger kids that are being dooped by this guy. Harmon, the Honakers, and Ritchie wouldn't even think about not playing to my knowledge. Why don't you ask them tommorrow before you get on the bus?
Dont get me wrong, I am not taking up for anyone, or putting down anyone. I just think that if a person who is not related to, or even a very close family friend asked someone not to play a sport and they didnt, there are deeper issues than someone asking someone else not to play. Or maybe if the person you are talking about asked them, (Honakers, Harmon, and others), at a younger age then they wouldnt have played?

Just a side note, maybe the kids didnt want to play to start off with? Or are you saying the younger kids at Pikeville can get "dooped" because they dont have enough common sense to know what they want or dont want to do?

Again, I am not taking up for, or putting down anyones actions for anything they did. I just dont think that a person can talk someone out of playing, or playing if they didnt want to.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It is the size of the fight in the dog.
This thread has the feel of a religious/political thread rather than a football issue...Does it need to be moved?
FOX SPORTS Wrote:This thread has the feel of a religious/political thread rather than a football issue...Does it need to be moved?

Thats what I was thinking... Go ahead and move it.
Capt. DH Wrote:It is the younger kids that are being dooped by this guy. Harmon, the Honakers, and Ritchie wouldn't even think about not playing to my knowledge. Why don't you ask them tommorrow before you get on the bus?
Who is not playing football at PHS that you want to play so badly?? I assume it is the freshmen, Layne, Rowe, Hamilton, and Keene. Only one of these could be "dooped" by the guy you are accusing. The others didn't play because they didn't want to for other reasons. Kids are quitting football because they just feel like the football coaches try to "own" them year around. It is simply not fun for them....plain and simple! Football players at Pikeville feel like they have no life. These days you just can't do that to kids and expect them to respond. From what I am hearing it will only get worse next year.
Capt. DH Wrote:Yes it is the same guy. Not only is he trying to destroy football but he is also trying to destroy the cheerleading program.
The more I hear about whats going on the more I dont like it but from what some of the B-ball parents are telling me hes about worn out his welcome with them as well. His tailgating parties arent what irked me as bad as some of the rumors that he spread about the football coaches to the PARENTS not the kids about them wanting to make the kids play one sport only. He even to tried to feed me that line of garbage and I told him where to go and what to do with it. The other problem I have is him trying to use his spot on the school board to try to get something as harmless as a pizza party at gattis stopped when he doesnt even have a child playing on the team and the school system has NOTHING to do with it. No school funds were spent, no bus was used, and it was not mandatory for one member of the team to show up for it. This guy was just trying his best to use his board member seat to make trouble for something that was clearly not his concern. As for the church group is it christian to show up and spread your message at the expense of folks trying to raise funds in order for the kids to have the things that are essential to have a good program? As far as the gentlemen in question goes I dont think hed like it one bit if a church group set up beside his place of buisness and started giving away for free the items that he was trying to sell and make a living off of in his store. Its not that I think he will be successful in hurting the football team or the cheerleading team or any other team at this school at the expense of the sport that HE wants to be succesful. Its that hes actually TRYING to do it. And thats what is really aggravating alot of people here. Another ? I have is why isnt this same church group giving away free food at B-ball games? Since they are so concerned about the youth around here and all. These folks had to know they were going to tick off some people by doing this.
This has goone from being a HS football thread to Political....Moved.
I think we used to have a small one before the game.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:The more I hear about whats going on the more I dont like it but from what some of the B-ball parents are telling me hes about worn out his welcome with them as well. His tailgating parties arent what irked me as bad as some of the rumors that he spread about the football coaches to the PARENTS not the kids about them wanting to make the kids play one sport only. He even to tried to feed me that line of garbage and I told him where to go and what to do with it. The other problem I have is him trying to use his spot on the school board to try to get something as harmless as a pizza party at gattis stopped when he doesnt even have a child playing on the team and the school system has NOTHING to do with it. No school funds were spent, no bus was used, and it was not mandatory for one member of the team to show up for it. This guy was just trying his best to use his board member seat to make trouble for something that was clearly not his concern. As for the church group is it christian to show up and spread your message at the expense of folks trying to raise funds in order for the kids to have the things that are essential to have a good program? As far as the gentlemen in question goes I dont think hed like it one bit if a church group set up beside his place of buisness and started giving away for free the items that he was trying to sell and make a living off of in his store. Its not that I think he will be successful in hurting the football team or the cheerleading team or any other team at this school at the expense of the sport that HE wants to be succesful. Its that hes actually TRYING to do it. And thats what is really aggravating alot of people here. Another ? I have is why isnt this same church group giving away free food at B-ball games? Since they are so concerned about the youth around here and all. These folks had to know they were going to tick off some people by doing this.
Nope, you are wrong again Hail Pikeville!!!! The Pikeville Ind. School System does not allow for its athletic teams to practice on Wednesday Nights after 6:00pm. The football team was going to Mr. Gatti's to watch film after 6:00pm. So this person is right by not allowing it. If the soccer team has to quit at 6 on Wednesdays then the football team shouldn't be able to just move to Gatti's after 6. They weren't just going to eat pizza.. LOL!!! Come on this is a no brainer!! And surely you don't believe for one second that it wasn't mandatory!! LOL again!!!
blitz43 Wrote:I think we used to have a small one before the game.

I think you're right!!
If you people are in anyway saying that the church group is trying to hurt the football program.......you need to get out of your cocoon..... the preacher at the church in question is a huge football fan (OHIO STATE and Pikeville fan) but furthermore would not hurt a flea. It was his idea plain and simple..... With no thought of doing anything but supporting the football program. I doubt the few kids and adults that are being fed is really cutting in to the profits.
thepharmacist Wrote:If you people are in anyway saying that the church group is trying to hurt the football program.......you need to get out of your cocoon..... the preacher at the church in question is a huge football fan (OHIO STATE and Pikeville fan) but furthermore would not hurt a flea. It was his idea plain and simple..... With no thought of doing anything but supporting the football program. I doubt the few kids and adults that are being fed is really cutting in to the profits.
Ok I think I may have a peaceful solution to this. If your church wants to support the football team then what ever groceries they buy for these tail gate parties to get them at Food City and use the Food City gift cards that Coach Js wife sells at all home games where 5% of the amount on this gift card goes to the football team. To all the football and cheerleading parents and supporters take note these cards can be used to purchase perscriptions at the Food City Pharmacy as well.Wink
bball fan Wrote:Nope, you are wrong again Hail Pikeville!!!! The Pikeville Ind. School System does not allow for its athletic teams to practice on Wednesday Nights after 6:00pm. The football team was going to Mr. Gatti's to watch film after 6:00pm. So this person is right by not allowing it. If the soccer team has to quit at 6 on Wednesdays then the football team shouldn't be able to just move to Gatti's after 6. They weren't just going to eat pizza.. LOL!!! Come on this is a no brainer!! And surely you don't believe for one second that it wasn't mandatory!! LOL again!!!
Well first of all you dont understand the spirit of that rule. That rule was implemented for kids to be able to attend church with their families on wednesday nights. The Gattis deal didnt start until either 8 or 8:30 at night. So that means that the kids were able to attend church, go home and get some studying done and then go eat some pizza if they so choose to go. And yes it is VOLUNTARY. I have a relative on the team and he said none of the coaches have said anything about these meetings being mandatory. But what puzzles me is why all of a sudden this is a rules violation when it has been going on for 2 years and everyone has known about it? Youd think if this was such a terrible rules infraction that something wouldve been said 2 years ago, long before "The Basketball Nazi" got on the school board.
I have a question that maybe you in youre infinite wisdom can answer. When the coach has the B-ball team out running around the mini park in August is that voluntary? I sure hope it is for HIS sake.
Please stay on topic.... which I'm not so sure about this thread anymore anyway.....
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Well first of all you dont understand the spirit of that rule. That rule was implemented for kids to be able to attend church with their families on wednesday nights. The Gattis deal didnt start until either 8 or 8:30 at night. So that means that the kids were able to attend church, go home and get some studying done and then go eat some pizza if they so choose to go. And yes it is VOLUNTARY. I have a relative on the team and he said none of the coaches have said anything about these meetings being mandatory. But what puzzles me is why all of a sudden this is a rules violation when it has been going on for 2 years and everyone has known about it? Youd think if this was such a terrible rules infraction that something wouldve been said 2 years ago, long before "The Basketball Nazi" got on the school board.
I have a question that maybe you in youre infinite wisdom can answer. When the coach has the B-ball team out running around the mini park in August is that voluntary? I sure hope it is for HIS sake.

So we went from a tail gate party in the parking lot taking money away from the football team. To someone asking players not to play football. Then the same person was trying to destroy the cheerleaders. Now it is to going to Gettiland for pizza. As a rule, no group or team can do anything at PHS after 6 pm on Wed. night. It isnt the spirit of the rule that counts, it is the rule in general. Groups can have practice or a game after 6 if they get board approval before hand. Not trying to sneak something past them. You also said no school funds were to be used along with the bus not being used. So my question is this, if that one person is trying to undermine the football team, cheerleaders, and every other group that is not basketball, is he doing that by saying the football team follow the same rules that every other group or club has to follow? Why couldnt the football team do what the basketball team does, show up at the school at 6 am to view the game films? The basketball team has practice at 6 am on Friday mornings so the basketball players can go support the football team at the games on Friday night.

As far as the basketball team running around the mini park in August, yes that was voluntary. My son missed it a time or two to do other things and nothing was said about it.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:So we went from a tail gate party in the parking lot taking money away from the football team. To someone asking players not to play football. Then the same person was trying to destroy the cheerleaders. Now it is to going to Gettiland for pizza. As a rule, no group or team can do anything at PHS after 6 pm on Wed. night. It isnt the spirit of the rule that counts, it is the rule in general. Groups can have practice or a game after 6 if they get board approval before hand. Not trying to sneak something past them. You also said no school funds were to be used along with the bus not being used. So my question is this, if that one person is trying to undermine the football team, cheerleaders, and every other group that is not basketball, is he doing that by saying the football team follow the same rules that every other group or club has to follow? Why couldnt the football team do what the basketball team does, show up at the school at 6 am to view the game films? The basketball team has practice at 6 am on Friday mornings so the basketball players can go support the football team at the games on Friday night.

As far as the basketball team running around the mini park in August, yes that was voluntary. My son missed it a time or two to do other things and nothing was said about it.
They werent trying to sneak anything past anyone. Like I said before, This had been going on for 2 years and EVERYONE knew about it. So why is it all of a sudden a big deal? The point about the mini park runs I was trying to make is that its the same type of thing as the gattis meetings. Meaning if both were mandatory theyd be against the rules but since theyre voluntary theres nothing wrong with either one of them. I know you support the football team with the service you perform and if nobody has ever thanked you for it I will. Like I said before I dont think this guy is going to be successful in what hes doing just for the simple fact that hes in an elected postion and elections will come back around again and with all the registered voters hes ticked off between the football, cheerleading, AND B-ball parents hes gonna be outta there anyway. From what I can understand hes already trying to take over the B-ball booster club even though he isnt president.