Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realignment 2023
When will the Khsaa announce the new realignment? If I am remembering correctly I thought it was usually announced during early part of football season.
Not sure on that one but it will be interesting to see who all moves up or down and how it realigns districts
According to last meeting, realignment won’t be ready til beginning of 2023. Gonna be hell for coaches to schedule and get contracts signed in 2-3 months. Especially if they allowed the protest period which they have before that have taken a month or 2.
How in the world is raceland not a 2A school? No excuses for travel. Not a true 1A imo
(07-01-2022, 02:07 AM)scrappy coco Wrote: How in the world is raceland not a 2A school? No excuses for travel. Not a true 1A imo
According to this data Raceland only had 311 kids with 152 boys enrolled in the high school for the 2021-2022 school year.  The cutoff for Class A is a 4 year average of 191 boys according to the KHSAA from the last realignment.  From the outside Raceland looks like it is a big school with all of the building projects but the actual enrollment is still quite small.

https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch/school_detail.asp?Search=1&Miles=10&Zip=45636&ID=210498001240
(07-01-2022, 01:13 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(07-01-2022, 02:07 AM)scrappy coco Wrote: How in the world is raceland not a 2A school? No excuses for travel. Not a true 1A imo
According to this data Raceland only had 311 kids with 152 boys enrolled in the high school for the 2021-2022 school year.  The cutoff for Class A is a 4 year average of 191 boys according to the KHSAA from the last realignment.  From the outside Raceland looks like it is a big school with all of the building projects but the actual enrollment is still quite small.

https://nces.ed.gov/ccd/schoolsearch/school_detail.asp?Search=1&Miles=10&Zip=45636&ID=210498001240

Also remember Class A, Like 6A is only 32 teams, so its the bottom 32 teams of enrollment.  With small programs dropping teams, that top number for Class A continues to go up.
They need to expand the 1A and 6A teams from 32 to at least 36-38 and equal out all 6 classes
(07-02-2022, 09:26 PM)Fan of many Wrote: They need to expand the 1A and 6A teams from 32 to at least 36-38 and equal out all 6 classes

Why only 32 teams per class make the playoffs.
(07-03-2022, 08:08 AM)plantmanky Wrote:
(07-02-2022, 09:26 PM)Fan of many Wrote: They need to expand the 1A and 6A teams from 32 to at least 36-38 and equal out all 6 classes

Equal it out and make it fair, same amount in each class

While I get the rationale for wanting to have more football I also think earning a playoff spot provides a valuable life lesson in that you have to compete and beat others out to get what you want in life.  

Maybe I’m being a bit old school but when I played sports 20+ years ago in the old 4 Class system we knew we had to bust our butts to get in the playoffs and making it was a big deal that rewarded your hard work all year. 

Now please do not mistake this as advocating for that system because I know it will never come back but as a former player I can tell you that it meant a lot making the the playoffs after you knew you had to fight and knock other teams off along the way first.  I can’t say I would have had that same gratifying feeling of I knew I was guaranteed a spot and it may have even lessened the amount of work I put in.
There should be 4 basketball champions and 4 baseball champions. 4 classes in football is waaaaay plenty.
I don’t really like the 4 class model. I get what people are saying about it meaning more, but I’d say we’d have had 0 champions that were 5A champions win the 4A title (if on a 4 class system). Idk if you can pick a 5A team that would’ve beat our 6A champion in this given format. I could be wrong though.

As far as playoffs.. 4 teams from each district make it to the post season in basketball and baseball… heck you can lose your second game and advance in those sports. So I’m for 4 teams making it. There’s blowouts in every round.. you’ll see more 3&4 seeds win in first rounds in the new format by the way.

As far as realignment goes… idk how you can not have something out already
(07-03-2022, 03:31 PM)Fan of many Wrote:

Equal it out and make it fair, same amount in each class
Geography plays a roll in classification too.
(07-03-2022, 09:18 PM)KYHSFB Wrote: I don’t really like the 4 class model. I get what people are saying about it meaning more, but I’d say we’d have had 0 champions that were 5A champions win the 4A title (if on a 4 class system). Idk if you can pick a 5A team that would’ve beat our 6A champion in this given format. I could be wrong though.

As far as playoffs.. 4 teams from each district make it to the post season in basketball and baseball… heck you can lose your second game and advance in those sports. So I’m for 4 teams making it. There’s blowouts in every round.. you’ll see more 3&4 seeds win in first rounds in the new format by the way.

As far as realignment goes… idk how you can not have something out already
In the 6 class system 1A and 5A were the biggest benefactors.  In the 4 class system we likely wouldn’t have had Paintsville win state and Pikeville be as dominant as they are now.  Also my Raceland Rams likely still wouldn’t have made past the regional championship if we were still in the same NKY region the 4 class system placed us in as well as being in a district with LCA. In 5A teams were able to drop down and get away from the big 3 from Louisville.

As far as baseball and basketball go, I think too many teams make it in those sports too.  In those sports the district champion should be the only team that advances to the region tournament.  Again maybe I’m just tough but imo raising the standards and making the competition tougher isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
I’m for the kids on this debate. There is nothing wrong with giving kids more games to play. Once high school is over sports is over. I say give them all the opportunities possible to play as many games as they can
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • FootballFan1999
Just FYI, we are one school from having a seven class, 32 team per class, system. 223 football teams, 224 makes seven even classes.
(07-04-2022, 10:19 AM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I’m for the kids on this debate. There is nothing wrong with giving kids more games to play. Once high school is over sports is over. I say give them all the opportunities possible to play as many games as they can

Totally agree. Too many classes is hogwash. Let the kids play and have all the champions you can get. Trust me, when you wear that ring with State Champions on it , you don't give a rats ___ about how many teams were in a class or how many classes there were.
Restricting the number of teams in the playoffs and reducing the number of games played in the state would not raise the "standards" of football played in Kentucky. It would do the opposite. I am in favor of having every team participate in the playoffs but I also believe that there are too many classes. Fewer classes would mean less travel time between district and regional opponents during the regular season and during the playoffs, which would reduce expenses and probably boost gates as well.

Limiting playoff participation may make sense in a state with a much larger population than Kentucky but IMO, it makes no sense for a less populated state. The biggest problem with football in Kentucky is the gap between the top three or four teams in each class and the rest of field. Part of the solution to that problem is more games, not fewer.
Need 7 classes

Would love to be known as Class 7A State Champions

You know your the best of best then
(07-17-2022, 09:39 PM)bball_fan Wrote: Just FYI, we are one school from having a seven class, 32 team per class, system. 223 football teams, 224 makes seven even classes.

I don't know about that. Talk of no football this year at Jenkins and Phelps, and I'm hearing some other schools may also struggle to field a team. We had teams last year dropping out midway through the year.
This manny classes leads to a bunch of mediocre state champions. A state championship caliber team should be better than that m.
5 Divisions - Top 16 schools in each division. Seeding based upon RPI. Games played at neutral site - equidistant for both schools. Play the games on a Saturday with kickoff at 2:00, 12:00 if KHSAA wants to offer a double header.

Teams that do not make the playoffs can schedule an additional game if they want to do so to make up for loss of playoff game.
(07-25-2022, 06:52 PM)Iggyfan Wrote: 5 Divisions - Top 16 schools in each division. Seeding based upon RPI. Games played at neutral site - equidistant for both schools. Play the games on a Saturday with kickoff at 2:00, 12:00 if KHSAA wants to offer a double header. 

Teams that do not make the playoffs can schedule an additional game if they want to do so to make up for loss of playoff game.
No
I understand everyone’s sorry arguments about how it’s not fair to have bigger classes with less state champions, but if you look to other states what we do is sad. We have 6 state champions regardless of private or public with only 40 teams max per class. We have districts set up to where you can go 0-10 and make the playoffs. It’s ridiculous. We need to go to only 2 teams per district make the playoffs, or lose some classes. If there are under 250 football teams in the state, 216 is too many to make the playoffs. There is over 200 teams in ONE CLASS in texas and only 32 make the playoffs. Texas is excessive but still we are on the other end of the spectrum.

IMO, 1a and bottom half 2a come together. Top 2A and 3A come together. 4A and bottom 5A. Top 5A and 6A.

You can’t use male or the top enrollment as an argument because the enrollment difference in 6a is already staggering from top to bottom. Adding 5a schools with already pretty high enrollments would not harm anyone.