Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16th Region 2022-23
!. Boyd Co. (Especially if they get the two transfers)
2. Ashland (made it to regional finals last year with plenty back)
3. Russell (Steele is back tp carry them)
4. Rowan Co. (Ford- !!!!!)
5. Morgan Co.
(07-03-2022, 02:07 PM)Toby Kimball Wrote: !. Boyd Co. (Especially if they get the two transfers)
5. Morgan Co.
Where are the transfers from?
(07-06-2022, 12:00 PM)Fanman Wrote:
(07-03-2022, 02:07 PM)Toby Kimball Wrote: !. Boyd Co. (Especially if they get the two transfers)
5. Morgan Co.

Anyone who knows anything about 16th region girls basketball over the past decade can guess what state "Thunder" Pete Fraley might be mining for some new players.  At least he's not dumb enough to be recorded talking to their parents, though.  Here are my rankings:

1. Boyd (by a wide margin if they get the transfers)
2. Russell (they beat Boyd by 23 the last time they played)
3. Rowan (they beat Boyd by 15 the last time they played)
4. Ashland (3-20 in their last 23 games against Boyd - can the new coach change the dynamic?)
5. Morgan (the one sleeper team in the region that could upset any of the top 4 on any given night)
Ashland, Russell and Boyd are my favorites to win. I think it could go either way on any given night. Coaching change here at Ashland may make a difference. Mandy and Pete are hard to beat with their experience. It should be fun games to watch.
I have to give Coach Fraley the edge this year. He is kind of the Dean of the 16th Region so hopefully he will have another good team.
(07-07-2022, 07:36 PM)16thregioner Wrote:
(07-06-2022, 12:00 PM)Fanman Wrote:
5. Morgan Co.

Anyone who knows anything about 16th region girls basketball over the past decade can guess what state "Thunder" Pete Fraley might be mining for some new players.  At least he's not dumb enough to be recorded talking to their parents, though.  Here are my rankings:

1. Boyd (by a wide margin if they get the transfers)
2. Russell (they beat Boyd by 23 the last time they played)
3. Rowan (they beat Boyd by 15 the last time they played)
4. Ashland (3-20 in their last 23 games against Boyd - can the new coach change the dynamic?)
5. Morgan (the one sleeper team in the region that could upset any of the top 4 on any given night)
Those "transfers" never ended up at Boyd. They stayed in WV. 
I think Russell will be the best, and Rowan Boyd will duke it out for second best
(11-18-2022, 02:12 PM)Fanman Wrote: Those "transfers" never ended up at Boyd. They stayed in WV.

That’s good news.  That would have made the region very imbalanced.

I still say Boyd is number 1 since they won last season and apparently Biggs will return from her knee injury.  Rowan, Ashland, and Russell are the other contenders.
Last 15 years only four teams have won 16th (Boyd 5, Ashland 4, Russell 3, Rowan 3). One of these four should win it again
(11-22-2022, 06:04 PM)Toby Kimball Wrote: Last 15 years only four  teams have won 16th (Boyd 5, Ashland 4, Russell 3, Rowan 3). One of these four should win it again

Boyd and Russell are the only 2 teams that have won over the past 7 years.  Ashland and Rowan are always mentioned among the top teams, but their success is becoming historical.

After seeing some of these teams play in the preseason, it's pretty clear Boyd and Russell are the teams once again.  Boyd has a tremendous height advantage.  Russell has a tremendous speed advantage and has the best player in the region in Steele.

The only caveat I'll throw in is injuries.  Most of these girls play in such a way these days that their bodies aren't designed to handle.  Therefore, expect some more injuries throughout the season.  Whichever team is lucky enough to avoid them will have better odds of prevailing in the end.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • i82much
I really like Boyd County's schedule for this year. Great competition over Christmas Break as well as finishing the season with the top three teams in the Region. (Ashland, Russell & Rowan) I have to believe Coach Fraley wants his team tested going into the Districts. There is a reason why Coach has had so much success.