Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Neutral site playoff games
I have always wondered why Kentucky doesn’t do neutral site playoff games. So many other states do it and it doesn’t seem to be too hard to accomplish. Sort of evens the playing field too. I would love to see it for the 3rd and 4th rounds especially with the RPi already deciding who plays who. Thoughts?
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16 special's post:
  • Sportsdadof2
In my opinion, home field playoff games are a reward for taking care of business in the regular season. Why do we need to "even the playing field" in the playoffs? The team playing at home has done what they needed to do and earned those extra games at home.
[-] The following 2 users Like HurryUp1001's post:
  • FootballFan1999, Jack Lambert
(05-17-2022, 11:08 AM)HurryUp1001 Wrote: In my opinion, home field playoff games are a reward for taking care of business in the regular season. Why do we need to "even the playing field" in the playoffs? The team playing at home has done what they needed to do and earned those extra games at home.
So the kids playing for the other teams haven’t taken care of business to that point? The RPI is meant to put the teams that have beaten a better schedule against teams that have done worse. I just think if teams win the first 2 games, neutral site games would be better. Some of those hauls for those teams are quite substantial. The teams that win their district would still get 1st and 2nd round home games. Just looking for ways to shake playoffs up in the later rounds.
  • jax
(05-17-2022, 11:18 AM)16 special Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 11:08 AM)HurryUp1001 Wrote: In my opinion, home field playoff games are a reward for taking care of business in the regular season. Why do we need to "even the playing field" in the playoffs? The team playing at home has done what they needed to do and earned those extra games at home.
So the kids playing for the other teams haven’t taken care of business to that point? The RPI is meant to put the teams that have beaten a better schedule against teams that have done worse. I just think if teams win the first 2 games, neutral site games would be better. Some of those hauls for those teams are quite substantial. The teams that win their district would still get 1st and 2nd round home games. Just looking for ways to shake playoffs up in the later rounds.
I agree that the drive time for some teams is quite ridiculous. No reason teams should be making 3+ hour one way trips..the RPI also allows teams that have beaten a better schedule to remain at home throughout the playoffs. I should've said home field playoff games are a reward for teams willing to play a tough schedule and taking care of business through that schedule.
[-] The following 3 users Like HurryUp1001's post:
  • 16 special, FootballFan1999, WhomTheBellTolls
(05-17-2022, 11:39 AM)HurryUp1001 Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 11:18 AM)16 special Wrote:
I agree that the drive time for some teams is quite ridiculous. No reason teams should be making 3+ hour one way trips..the RPI also allows teams that have beaten a better schedule to remain at home throughout the playoffs. I should've said home field playoff games are a reward for teams willing to play a tough schedule and taking care of business through that schedule.
Can definitely agree they should be rewarded. What if they had a list of sites and the higher seed chose the location of the next round? Could choose a neutral location that still is close enough for their home crowd. I like the idea that they keep a bigger portion of gate too. I know khsaa will take their cut, but higher seed should get compensated for their finishing higher in regular season RPI.
  • HurryUp1001
Like you all have mentioned for and against. I think the teams that dominate their district should be rewarded with home playoffs games but some of these districts we are in teams are traveling 2.5 hours to get to a district game which is silly.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Idk why we keep talking about this. This is t the state of Ohio where every team has turf. There isn’t enough quality fields in Kentucky to have neutral sites. Ohio doesn’t have neutral site to even the playing field they do it for travel. All money playoff gates go to the state in Ohio ….I assume that would be another reason they do it….to control the money. What’s so bad about a community having a great reason to get together and enjoy one another?? Why are people so intent on taking that away ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • WhomTheBellTolls
Ive always thought the semi finals round should be neutral fields, or at least pre determined fields before the season starts, (and if one of those sites teams makes it to semis, good for them.)

Problem is using RPI makes that a challenge because with a re shuffle of the bracket a host site may not be home team. (example, lets say Trinity Louisville is selected as a semi finals site, but Trinity ends up as a road team in the re shuffle, how will hosting at Trinity but playing away work?)

It could be done, you only need 6 sites (there are 12 games to play, can play one game Friday night, one game Saturday, actually you could only need 4 sites and play 2 games at some sites Saturday.)

RAMDAD50 is right though, to hold those type of crowds, there are a small handful of sites, that logistically make sense.
I wouldn't mind the semi's being neutral but not third round.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • jax
(05-17-2022, 08:27 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Ive always thought the semi finals round should be neutral fields, or at least pre determined fields before the season starts, (and if one of those sites teams makes it to semis, good for them.) 

Problem is using RPI makes that a challenge because with a re shuffle of the bracket a host site may not be home team.  (example, lets say Trinity Louisville is selected as a semi finals site, but Trinity ends up as a road team in the re shuffle, how will hosting at Trinity but playing away work?)

It could be done, you only need 6 sites (there are 12 games to play, can play one game Friday night, one game Saturday, actually you could only need 4 sites and play 2 games at some sites Saturday.)

RAMDAD50 is right though, to hold those type of crowds, there are a small handful of sites, that logistically make sense.
Small college fields like they do in Texas? You have Thomas more, Gtown, Lindsey Wilson, cumberlands, campbellsville, pikeville, Murray, morehead, Eku, etc all of which have turf fields and capacity to hold fans. I just enjoy discussing hypotheticals. Not meaning this to ruffle feathers. Not like the khsaa takes any of our opinions into account anyways, otherwise they’d never done away with cross districts.
If you win, you win. Play the games at home. HOME IS HOME. Neutral site games are garbage, I will forever fight the idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like Real Badman's post:
  • FlyerFanatic, FootballFan1999
Nothing beats a State Semifinal atmosphere on Thanksgiving weekend at your own field or on the road. I like it the way it is.
[-] The following 3 users Like Panther Thunder's post:
  • FlyerFanatic, FootballFan1999, jetpilot
I don't know for sure how the gate from ticket sales is split during the playoffs, but wouldn't the gate be one of the biggest issues with neutral site playoff games?
(05-18-2022, 12:02 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote: Nothing beats a State Semifinal atmosphere on Thanksgiving weekend at your own field or on the road. I like it the way it is.
Absolutely. I wouldn't mind if they went back to alternating odd/even years instead of RPI but neutral sites would be a huge downgrade.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • FootballFan1999, Panther Thunder

(05-18-2022, 10:15 AM)16 special Wrote:
(05-17-2022, 08:27 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Ive always thought the semi finals round should be neutral fields, or at least pre determined fields before the season starts, (and if one of those sites teams makes it to semis, good for them.) 

Problem is using RPI makes that a challenge because with a re shuffle of the bracket a host site may not be home team.  (example, lets say Trinity Louisville is selected as a semi finals site, but Trinity ends up as a road team in the re shuffle, how will hosting at Trinity but playing away work?)

Small college fields like they do in Texas? You have Thomas more, Gtown, Lindsey Wilson, cumberlands, campbellsville, pikeville, Murray, morehead, Eku, etc all of which have turf fields and capacity to hold fans. I just enjoy discussing hypotheticals. Not meaning this to ruffle feathers. Not like the khsaa takes any of our opinions into account anyways, otherwise they’d never done away with cross districts.

The small college fields sound great, until you get into the logistics, and the cost to rent the facility and other stuff.  Staying at a High School site would be best in most cases.

(05-18-2022, 03:40 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: I don't know for sure how the gate from ticket sales is split during the playoffs, but wouldn't the gate be one of the biggest issues with neutral site playoff games?

It would, you would end up having to split the gate 3 ways instead of 2, but that could also be more money for some teams if the travel cost is reduced for the away team.

(05-18-2022, 05:31 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 12:02 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote: Nothing beats a State Semifinal atmosphere on Thanksgiving weekend at your own field or on the road. I like it the way it is.
Absolutely. I wouldn't mind if they went back to alternating odd/even years instead of RPI but neutral sites would be a huge downgrade.

I kinda agree with you on this, at least with the odd/even, you knew at the start of the season where you might end up playing........however you cant have odd/even with the RPI as it gets rid of True regions.
There is no need for a rpi in this state
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
I disagree. I would rather see the two best teams play in the finals than play in the semi's.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Hatz
(05-18-2022, 09:15 PM)BEChargers Wrote: I disagree.  I would rather see the two best teams play in the finals than play in the semi's.
And you think a RPI makes that happen ?
(05-18-2022, 09:26 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(05-18-2022, 09:15 PM)BEChargers Wrote: I disagree.  I would rather see the two best teams play in the finals than play in the semi's.

Which state games did it not work this year?
My point is ….there are only a hand full of quality teams in this state in each class. When it comes down to the last few games being played in the play offs in each class it’s always the same teams playing. There is no need for a RPI cause there just isn’t enough quality programs in this state. For some reason we’ve tried to copy what Ohio does and they have a lot more quality programs in that state. There just isn’t a need for a RPI system in this state
To have the best teams in the finals:
Each division needs to allow the top 16 teams in each division to qualify for the playoffs.

Seeding is based upon RPI & team with higher RPI get home field advantage, if opposing team is more than 90 miles away the game is played at a neutral site - equi distant for both team- as designated by KHSAA.
Round (1), #1 v #16, #2 v #15 etc.
Round (2), #1 v #8, #2 v #7 etc
Round (3), #1 v #4 #2 v #3
Round (4) Championship at Kroger Field

If a team must travel, travelling team may elect to play Saturday afternoon (limits effect of weather and travel).
Whenever possible, games should be live streamed - cost of $5 / game or $10 for all games being streamed.
Those teams that do not qualify for State playoffs, are eligible to continue to play an additional 2 games at their discretion.
Seems to be best of all worlds- (1) allows for best teams to get to Kroger Field, (2) tempers weather and travel) and allows teams #17-32 to play 2 competitive games at the end of each season.
Disregard. Missed your comment on travel.
The only GOOD thing about the RPI is that teams who have the best record against a strong RPI can EARN home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Don’t take that away!
(05-18-2022, 11:32 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: The only GOOD thing about the RPI is that teams who have the best record against a strong RPI can EARN home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Don’t take that away!
You are giving RPI way too much credit. Teams with lower RPI beat higher RPI teams constantly. Just look at Paintsville beating KCD by 50 in the 2020 championship. KCD higher RPI and if that game would have been in the semis Paintsville would have had to have gone on the road to KCD. So you can't rely on RPI to reward home field to the superior team. Plus people have figured out how to manipulate RPI now and that's how most teams make their schedule.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Bull got out!, Spud6
(05-18-2022, 09:26 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:

I think it's helped.  Not perfect by any means but I do think it helps.
RPI is useless. Teams that aren’t very good schedule horrible teams above their class to pump up RPI. Also if you are hell bent on using the RPI let’s get rid of the districts. I know Raceland and Pikeville both play teams in their districts that destroy RPI but they are forced to play them because of being in a district. By the way I don’t know how the hell Betsy Layne is in Racelands district and not Pikevilles. Right down the road from Pikeville but get sent 2hrs away to play Raceland. Anywho….best team should play at home.
One thing I don't like about the RPI is you are penalized if you are in a weak district. If team a plays in a strong district with other teams with high RPI and team b plays in weak district with low RPI why should team B be punished just because they are in a weak district. That is something the team cannot control. Regardless of their SOS outside district this is often not enough to make up for the weak district schedules. This results in team B traveling hours and hours to a hostile site just because the rest of their district sucks
(05-18-2022, 08:12 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: There is no need for a rpi in this state
Especially an RPI that penalizes teams for playing strong out of state teams. Strong teams in sparsely populated areas near the border are at a disadvantage with the current system.