Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland @ Belfry 8/05 (Scrimmage)
(08-07-2022, 07:19 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Belfry scored 4 times
Raceland scored 2 times.
Remember this Belfry pirate, ISSAC STANLEY. THIS KID IS A STUD. COULD BE COACH HAYWOODS DEFENSE EVER IN POND CREEK. I SEE ANOTHER 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
Belfry looked better than Raceland even though 4 starters not dressed. They even completed few passes and scored on one. Defense held decent without 3 starters. They still have a long way to go. I do believe pointed in the right direction. Numbers also up slightly this year with big freshman class. Schedule will prepare them again for playoffs. Stanley kid is an outstanding player but to label this defense best ever is crazy. They have potential to be real good but let’s not go overboard
Belfry defense is young. Very young. 3 freshmen started this scrimmage on D. When Stanley, Blackwell, and Long get healthy I don’t know what that number will look like.

Offensively, you couldn’t tell much. QBs rotated for Belfry as did backfield. First group out had 2 freshmen in it. Once again, I don’t know what that will look like when Belfry is at full strength.

Raceland has the skill to play with Pikeville, though they don’t have the one athlete that makes you go wow. I don’t know if they have the lines to do it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • 16thregioner
I hope Belfry passes a little more than usual. Aiden Burke is too good of a receiver to not pass some. That kid is a big time talent that I hope is given the opportunity to showcase his talents as a receiver.
(08-07-2022, 06:45 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I hope Belfry passes a little more than usual. Aiden Burke is too good of a receiver to not pass some. That kid is a big time talent that I hope is given the opportunity to showcase his talents as a receiver.

What the old saying “Hope and wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up faster?”

Belfry isn’t passing the ball more than in the token blowout or on 3rd and 18 and ride the fullback in play action.

It’s a mindset and philosophy and they don’t have it. If they were ever going to this would be the next few years with Woolum and the freshmen sophomore athletes they have, the freshmen QB, and the Oline they have this year.

They didn’t in scrimmage and ain’t going to in the future.
(08-07-2022, 08:42 PM)RTruth Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 06:45 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: I hope Belfry passes a little more than usual. Aiden Burke is too good of a receiver to not pass some. That kid is a big time talent that I hope is given the opportunity to showcase his talents as a receiver.

What the old saying  “Hope and wish in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up faster?”

Belfry isn’t passing the ball more than in the token blowout or on 3rd and 18 and ride the fullback in play  action.

It’s a mindset and philosophy and they don’t have it. If they were ever going to this would be the next few years with Woolum and the freshmen sophomore athletes they have,  the freshmen QB, and the Oline they have this year.

They didn’t in scrimmage and ain’t going to in the future.
I believe your statement just qualified for a espy award  Big Grin
Belfry has proven time and time again that their offensive philosophy works and wins championships, however, they have the talent coming up to open up and spread out the field with their quarterback and skill guys. Wouldn't hurt to have that part of their offense ready to go whenever needed.
(08-07-2022, 09:07 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Belfry has proven time and time again that their offensive philosophy works and wins championships, however, they have the talent coming up to open up and spread out the field with their quarterback and skill guys. Wouldn't hurt to have that part of their offense ready to go whenever needed.
Being able to complete a couple simple routes consistently can work wonders in the Belfry offense.

When Belfry had Sani Warren at QB and Keaton Taylor at SE they perfected a little quick hitter without play action that became lethal with Taylor's speed. It wasn't much, like a little hitch, and was designed to only be about a five or six yard route, but with basically no safety to help it meant that if Taylor broke the tackle or the CB slipped it was a TD. 

Once it proved so successful it forced teams to have to honor it at least, meaning either a safety or LB had to read long enough to react if the ball went in the air. It might not mean much, but against Belfry when most LB's are attacking a running lane immediately off their initial read, this little bit of indecision could be the difference in a 2 yard gain being a six yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Belfry's run blocking scheme and the amount of ball handling the QB is asked to do, does make pass blocking very difficult. Most teams are already stunting and blitzing already with more men in the box than Belfry has to block them. Often by the time the QB carries out a play fake he has a clean rusher in his face.

Hitting a quick hitch, out, or slant without a playfake are seemingly the best option and all three would work wonders to free the run game up, but you have to have a QB accurate enough and a SE capable of running a crisp route.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(08-08-2022, 01:27 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(08-07-2022, 09:07 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: Belfry has proven time and time again that their offensive philosophy works and wins championships, however, they have the talent coming up to open up and spread out the field with their quarterback and skill guys. Wouldn't hurt to have that part of their offense ready to go whenever needed.
Being able to complete a couple simple routes consistently can work wonders in the Belfry offense.

When Belfry had Sani Warren at QB and Keaton Taylor at SE they perfected a little quick hitter without play action that became lethal with Taylor's speed. It wasn't much, like a little hitch, and was designed to only be about a five or six yard route, but with basically no safety to help it meant that if Taylor broke the tackle or the CB slipped it was a TD. 

Once it proved so successful it forced teams to have to honor it at least, meaning either a safety or LB had to read long enough to react if the ball went in the air. It might not mean much, but against Belfry when most LB's are attacking a running lane immediately off their initial read, this little bit of indecision could be the difference in a 2 yard gain being a six yard gain on 3rd and 5.

Belfry's run blocking scheme and the amount of ball handling the QB is asked to do, does make pass blocking very difficult. Most teams are already stunting and blitzing already with more men in the box than Belfry has to block them. Often by the time the QB carries out a play fake he has a clean rusher in his face.

Hitting a quick hitch, out, or slant without a playfake are seemingly the best option and all three would work wonders to free the run game up, but you have to have a QB accurate enough and a SE capable of running a crisp route.

Are you a coach? If not you should have been. Good stuff!
I’m trying to figure out how belfry looked better than Raceland. We ran all over the greatest defense ever. They did score 3 or 4 times but not after fumbling 12 times. I don’t know what scrimmage some of you watched. Belfry did not look like a 3 A championship team. As per usual they may at the end of the year but they looked pretty pedestrian to me.
(08-08-2022, 03:03 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: I’m trying to figure out how belfry looked better than Raceland. We ran all over the greatest defense ever. They did score 3 or 4 times but not after fumbling 12 times. I don’t know what scrimmage some of you watched. Belfry did not look like a 3 A championship team. As per usual they may at the end of the year but they looked pretty pedestrian to me.
Belfry never looks like a state championship team in a scrimmage. They don’t treat a scrimmage like it’s a playoff game like some teams.
(08-08-2022, 03:03 PM)RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote: I’m trying to figure out how belfry looked better than Raceland. We ran all over the greatest defense ever. They did score 3 or 4 times but not after fumbling 12 times. I don’t know what scrimmage some of you watched. Belfry did not look like a 3 A championship team. As per usual they may at the end of the year but they looked pretty pedestrian to me.

Who said that?

I got to watch Belfry/Raceland and JC/Pikeville back to back nights and here is my take.

I know what Pikeville, JC, and Belfry have back on the LOS.

On paper that would go Pikeville, Belfry, JC. In that order and I would probably put Belfry/JC at a tie very close to Pikeville. I don’t know what Raceland back.

Belfry had 3 potential/former starters out on D, plus have to replace Copley who would be returning but can’t due to injury.

I’m offense, I know you saw the starting OLine minus 1 but as far as QB and full backfield, Woolum and Young are starters, Stanley plays somewhere back there and so will Long. Most don’t even know if Varney will play there at all. Both QBs are basically new. One is a freshmen and one stepped away from football last year. The problem they are going to have is can the young kids hold up all year, depth, and they have a QB battle and no one knows how the other is going to react if one is named the starter and one is regulated to back up, more importantly, no one knows how the people surrounding those kids are going to react, including the team. I think everyone knows who the better QB is and who has the most potential, but no one knows if he’s ready and the scrimmage didn’t really answer anything.

Belfry also lost Mr. Football.

Belfry looked “good” for all the holes they have to fill, the freshmen they are playing, and the kids that were out.

Raceland has a stud at QB that runs the RPO very dang good, throws a good football and their receivers are solid as is their running back. They don’t have the explosive athlete like Birchfield and I don’t know if their line can hold up against Pikevilles for 4 quarters.

Pikeville is that good. They moved the Oline around and the middle 3 are studs. Boykins is another threat and their receivers, plus Scott are legit threats every play. Birchfield is that dude. Wright is a defensive animal. They have a QB battle though and no one knows how each kid is going to handle it. If you’re 6 games in and are rotating QBs, you’ve got a problem just like Belfry and basically the same circumstances, how is the team and the people surrounding those kids going to react. I think everyone knows Duty is the better QB, but he is really, really athletically limited.

JC is JC. Coach Peck and staff will do what they do. They are strong, will be dang good defensively and disciplined. Like Belfry though, they’ll be a time they have to adapt. I don’t think they have a great QB in the HS right now. Can they beat Boyle, I don’t know but it’s a tall task

In the end it was a scrimmage, no winners or losers and I think both teams come out healthy. Some questions were answered, some not, all of them will practice this week and try to answer those questions Friday
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • fansville
Hmmmmm.
I’ve never seen this many people interested in a scrimmage in my life hahah. You guys are posting write ups like it’s playoff time. Pace yourself fellas …..we got a long ways to go yet. Does anyone know if the “starters” for either team was on the field together for a series? I didn’t see any of the scrimmages but it would be a very good bet if one was to bet that neither team had their starters together for anymore then a couple plays. It’s early guys. It’s about kids getting reps ….that’s all
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Patriot1
(08-08-2022, 07:04 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: I’ve never seen this many people interested in a scrimmage in my life hahah. You guys are posting write ups like it’s playoff time. Pace yourself fellas …..we got a long ways to go yet. Does anyone know if the “starters” for either team was on the field together for a series? I didn’t see any of the scrimmages but it would be a very good bet if one was to bet that neither team had their starters together for anymore then a couple plays. It’s early guys. It’s about kids getting reps ….that’s all

Im just having fun with everyone RAMDAD50, trying to get them tight lipped Boyle County crowd excited, it aint like they have won anything lately LOL. 
North Laurel is having too much fun, I see it on Facebook and Chappell has got that town trending North LOL..... Smile
(08-07-2022, 07:19 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: Belfry scored 4 times
Raceland scored 2 times.
Remember this Belfry pirate, ISSAC STANLEY. THIS KID IS A STUD. COULD BE COACH HAYWOODS DEFENSE EVER IN POND CREEK. I SEE ANOTHER 3A STATE CHAMPIONSHIP

Raceland scored 3 and Belfry 2.  Not that it matters in a controlled scrimmage.