Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
78.72%
Corbin
21.28%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Pikeville @ Corbin 8/19/22 (Cumberland Falls Pigskin Classic)
(08-17-2022, 01:39 PM)Nygfan106wins Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 12:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: For the first time I can ever remember, Pikeville has 5 different backs that can kill you. Birchfield, Boykins, Wright, Caudill, and Anthony. They can run over you and/or around you. And they can put defenders on their back blocking for each other. Mix in some passing and it is a lethal offense.
[quote pid="2362020" dateline="1660751009"]

Too bad only one of them will be lined up in the backfield at a time 

You wish
Corbin wins this game at home 28-21. Corbins offense will be very explosive and too much for Pikeville Defense. Pretty much same thing for Pikeville as they are gonna be explosive on offense as well. Corbins only problem going into this game is there best linebacker is sidelined with an injury. Not sure Corbin has another linebacker of his talent and ability. I look for it to be an offensive battle for both teams but Corbin wins if the Defense can get stops. Go Hounds..
I have a ton of respect for the Pikeville program but Corbin has a ton of dudes also, several of them with D1 offers. With the exception of one class every kid standing on Corbin’s sideline was part of a middle school state championship, the group that fell short made it to the final game. While this isn’t always an indicator of what’s gonna happen in high school it’s a pretty good indicator for what’s coming through the program on a yearly basis. Talent will not be the problem for the Hounds Friday night, Brody Wells should have a coming out party but I’ve been waiting to see him utilized properly for 2 years… Safe travels for the Pikeville faithful coming this way Friday night hopefully you enjoy or town and get home safely with the L…
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-17-2022, 02:59 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I have a ton of respect for the Pikeville program but Corbin has a ton of  dudes also, several of them with D1 offers.  With the exception of one class every kid standing on Corbin’s sideline was part of a middle school state championship, the group that fell short made it to the final game.  While this isn’t always an indicator of what’s gonna happen in high school it’s a pretty good indicator for what’s coming through the program on a yearly basis.  Talent will not be the problem for the Hounds Friday night, Brody Wells should have a coming out party but I’ve been waiting to see him utilized properly for 2 years… Safe travels for the Pikeville faithful coming this way Friday night hopefully you enjoy or town and get home safely with the L…

I personally would like Brody to get 20+ touches a game.
(08-17-2022, 12:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: For the first time I can ever remember, Pikeville has 5 different backs that can kill you. Birchfield, Boykins, Wright, Caudill, and Anthony. They can run over you and/or around you. And they can put defenders on their back blocking for each other. Mix in some passing and it is a lethal offense.
[quote pid="2362020" dateline="1660751009"]

Too bad only one of them will be lined up in the backfield at a time 

[/quote]
(08-17-2022, 02:59 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I have a ton of respect for the Pikeville program but Corbin has a ton of  dudes also, several of them with D1 offers.  With the exception of one class every kid standing on Corbin’s sideline was part of a middle school state championship, the group that fell short made it to the final game.  While this isn’t always an indicator of what’s gonna happen in high school it’s a pretty good indicator for what’s coming through the program on a yearly basis.  Talent will not be the problem for the Hounds Friday night, Brody Wells should have a coming out party but I’ve been waiting to see him utilized properly for 2 years… Safe travels for the Pikeville faithful coming this way Friday night hopefully you enjoy or town and get home safely with the L…
A lot better coaching on the middle school level tho.  I don't understand how anyone can have any faith in corbins highschool staff at this point. Corbin has to be heads and tails more talented than the team they are up against to pull off a win and im not sure they have that much more talent than pikeville right now.  If the team they are playing against is even close talent wise then Corbins gonna take an L. It's a shame for the kids but I guess they aren't what's important.
I HAVE MISSED FOOTBALL SEASON SO MUCH!!!!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • Bull got out!, TD Hounds
(08-17-2022, 05:32 PM)HOFER Wrote:
A lot better coaching on the middle school level tho.  I don't understand how anyone can have any faith in corbins highschool staff at this point. Corbin has to be heads and tails more talented than the team they are up against to pull off a win and im not sure they have that much more talent than pikeville right now.  If the team they are playing against is even close talent wise then Corbins gonna take an L. It's a shame for the kids but I guess they aren't what's important.

I tend to agree to a point, I did think Franklin Co and Pulaski where both very talented last year and during the beginning of the season Corbin dismantled both, Pulaski was never in doubt from the opening kick off.  What I’ve yet to see is any type of progression through the season, we peaked early last year and seemed to slowly regress as the season went along, we seemed to lose our intensity, physicality, and focus.  By the time we played JC the team was a shell of what it had been only a few weeks before.  Pikeville may very well win this game, they are always a quality program, but we’re still Corbin some on here trying to insinuate that our kids are just gonna roll over and allow a running clock are smoking the good stuff…

(08-17-2022, 05:54 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I HAVE MISSED FOOTBALL SEASON SO MUCH!!!!!!

The only thing that makes me miss football season more is baseball season, I’d rather watch Cal coach another basketball game than sit through one inning…Friday night can’t get here soon enough…
[-] The following 3 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • Bull got out!, Granny Bear, Patriot1
^I haven't seen anyone predicting anything close to a running clock, especially not Pikeville fans.

I honestly don't know what to expect, both are great programs and it could go either way but winning at Corbin will be very tough and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot, TD Hounds
Corbin and Pikeville will have a war......I personally think it is one of the top 3 matchups in the state to open up the football season. Corbin can win this game. Cameron Combs was very impressive and maybe as good as I have seen him. The kid is a player. Brody is looking to explode upon the scene offensively where he didn't get in the offense last year. He will make up for lost time in a hurry.  If its close Ole Big foot will kick one through. Corbins line isn't bad, its just the fact that a mis block here and there could be the difference in the game in one this close. As far as the Linebacker situation, the way I saw Corbins defense swarming the ball against Henry Clay, I was actually thinking Hmmm. This will work. I have said it before, Corbin will come out of the gate red hot. I havn't seen a early matchup yet where Corbin isn't in the ballgame. down last year 14 points and came back and shut down Christ School. Lots of new faces on the field but they looked hungry. Dang I'm hungry.....
[-] The following 2 users Like Bull got out!'s post:
  • Humpty Dumpty, TD Hounds
(08-15-2022, 01:49 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 06:11 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 03:47 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Hoot GibsonCorbin's coaching staff has to be feeling some heat coming into this season, so I don't expect to see a lot of coaching blunders from them after having months to prepare for this game. I also do not expect Pikeville to dominate the LOS after a long bus ride. I like Corbin's chances of winning their home opener.

Hoot you know I love you and you are definitely old school but I promise you of all the things that will factor into who wins the game the bus ride will not be one of them. I would expect Pikeville to leave early in the afternoon, stop somewhere along the way, and arrive plenty early. And if I’m wrong and they can’t handle a 2 1/2 hour bus ride broken down into 2 short drives, then they don’t deserve to win. But I’m not wrong lol. Bus ride = no factor.
In a close game on what will most likely be a hot August night, everything is a factor. If the 4th ranked 4A team loses to a 1A school at home, then I will conclude that Corbin is over rated. The Johnson Central-Corbin playoff game should have been much closer than it was but most people would probably agree that Corbin's coaching staff contributed to the lopsided result. Still, Corbin's run defense was pretty good and they return a lot of talent. 

This should be a good game and Pikeville might win but I am surprised that anybody thinks that Corbin is a two-touchdown underdog at home.
Dang it Hoot I will make the case for Pikeville later but 4A vs 1A means nothing. Pikeville has made a habit out of beating much larger schools in all sports. In football they are as talented and deep as anyone in 1-4A. Nobody is saying Pikeville is a 2 touchdown favorite over Corbin, most Pikeville fans and many others just expect Pikeville to win the game. Doesn't mean they will but I expect them to.

And Corbin wasn't good against the run vs JC, they surrendered 454 yards in that game and JC didn't have to even act like they might pass (1 attempt for the game). 

Pikeville has around 4000 yards rushing coming back and 45-50 TDs counting Boykins and can throw it as well.

High of 80 and Low of 64 (will be cool at game time of 8:30-9) forecast for Friday. Throw the bus ride and the weather out.
The 8.4 ypc JC had against Corbin was a below average rushin stat for JC. 4A vs. 1A isn't always a factor but when you compare a top tier 1A team to a top tier 4A team, the 1A team usually has less depth and roster size does not tell the whole story.

I would take 40 of the best athletes from a top 1A school or 40 of the best athletes from a top tier 4A through 6A team any day. Good football programs, and Pikeville has a very good program, draw good athletes, and that offsets the smaller talent pool to some degree. If all else is equal, such as coaching quality, facilities, etc., then the top 4A teams will always have an advantage over top 1A teams. There are definitely exceptions and upsets happen but I believe that too many people forget how highly regarded last year's Corbin team was before they lost to JC. If enrollment did not matter, then football classes would not exist.
[-] The following 3 users Like Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Bull got out!, Patriot1, TD Hounds
Pikeville 35
Corbin 14
then the top 4A teams will always have an advantage over top 1A teams

Not always.

Pikeville beat the 3A champ Belfry 29-0 last year, Beat them the previous two years too,.
Pikeville won the 15th region basketball championship back in March vs. much bigger schools. Then went to Rupp and beat a huge school (N Laurel) with a UK signee no less. Then took one of the biggest schools in the state to the final 30 seconds. Then that school ( GR Clark) won the Sweet 16 state championship.

In baseball Pikeville beat Corbin 8-0 at Corbin and Russell Co 4-2 in the same day. Much bigger schools. Corbin won their region and Russell Co was state runner up.

Corbin is always thought of as a football power. They are always a threat to beat anyone, anywhere. I just think Pikeville is better this year. Can't wait for Friday.
(08-17-2022, 05:32 PM)HOFER Wrote:
Your first sentence can’t be any more true. It also can’t be anymore sad. I said it last year and I’ll say it again. I’m behind these boys 100%. But they deserve better. Hilton jr wanted to play politics with Mills and is still playing it. He didn’t utilize any of the talent we had because of it, up until it mattered. At that point, it’s too late. He just doesn’t have what it takes. Anybody that would run 5-2 defense against JC, and then still never adjust out of the half, isn’t a defensive mastermind. It’s ignorance. Hope these boys can put talent the rest of 4A. They’ve got the guns. But, I’m not knocking this team, but we were more talented the past two years. So if you can’t win it with that, then…….
There a football game in Corbin Friday night or something? LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes bac2369's post:
  • Granny Bear
whos all this high caliber d1 talent corbin has now .. it all graduated or left .. the wells kid and the kicker are the only two d1 players on the roster .. corbin missed their window last year
I have all my games chosen in the Pick'em contest but THIS one!!!

This match up is giving me a gigantic headache!!!
(08-18-2022, 07:27 AM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: whos all this high caliber d1 talent corbin has now .. it all graduated or left .. the wells kid and the kicker are the only two d1 players on the roster .. corbin missed their window last year

We already had this conversation once and you didn’t believe then either…
(08-18-2022, 09:02 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I have all my games chosen in the Pick'em contest but THIS one!!!

Go with Corbin. It’s at home. 1st game. In 9 weeks I’d take pikeville
(08-15-2022, 02:16 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Roster size:

Pikeville 61
Johnson Central 57
Belfry 53

honest question…how does pikeville get so many kids out? I’m not completely shocked they have more than belfry as belfry isn’t that  large either, but it always seems pikeville has one of, if not the biggest roster in 1A year after year, and is ridiculously talented 80% of the time.

out of there roster, how many of those kids have lived in the city limits, went to pikeville since grade school, and are actually pikeville or do they just attract a lot of kids from surrounding areas?
(08-18-2022, 09:02 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I have all my games chosen in the Pick'em contest but THIS one!!!

needing any help you should look at my prediction on first page..
[-] The following 2 users Like 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!, jetpilot
(08-18-2022, 07:27 AM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: whos all this high caliber d1 talent corbin has now .. it all graduated or left .. the wells kid and the kicker are the only two d1 players on the roster .. corbin missed their window last year

Cameron Combs has a offer from EKU. Thats D1. Franklin West is D1 material all day long. He is projected the top Tackle in his class.  After watching Cameron in the 2 scrimmages, he should be the anchor this season for Corbin if they plan to make a run. He looked the part on the field and he runs like a tornado. You picked Corbin to go 9-1. You said Franklin game would be the only loss........  Woah
(08-18-2022, 10:55 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:

Pikeville 61
Johnson Central 57
Belfry 53

honest question…how does pikeville get so many kids out? I’m not completely shocked they have more than belfry as belfry isn’t that  large either, but it always seems pikeville has one of, if not the biggest roster in 1A year after year, and is ridiculously talented 80% of the time.

out of there roster, how many of those kids have lived in the city limits, went to pikeville since grade school, and are actually pikeville or do they just attract a lot of kids from surrounding areas?

I would say the vast majority have been in the school system since elementary school but some definitely live outside of the city limits.  Pikeville is annually rated academically as the top public high school in EKY so the school system definitely attracts kids that live in surrounding areas, some play sports but I'm sure some don't.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Humpty Dumpty's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
(08-18-2022, 10:55 AM)KnoxvillesFinest Wrote:

Pikeville 61
Johnson Central 57
Belfry 53

Since their freshman year began, which is pretty much the standard, Boykins is the only expected contributor 
I can think of that didn’t start at PHS. 

Out of the 18 seniors, I believe 16 have played each year at PHS. 2 of the 18 have been at PHS: 1 came out as a junior, one as a senior. 

Coach Mac has established a great culture that students want to be a part of, whether playing time is expected or not. Students and parents know they will have a great experience and learn valuable qualities and life lessons that will equip them for life after football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • KnoxvillesFinest
Pikeville by 2TDs
(08-17-2022, 11:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: then the top 4A teams will always have an advantage over top 1A teams

Not always.

Pikeville beat the 3A champ Belfry 29-0 last year, Beat them the previous two years too,.
Pikeville won the 15th region basketball championship back in March vs. much bigger schools. Then went to Rupp and beat a huge school (N Laurel) with a UK signee no less. Then took one of the biggest schools in the state to the final 30 seconds. Then that school ( GR Clark) won the Sweet 16 state championship.

In baseball Pikeville beat Corbin 8-0 at Corbin and Russell Co 4-2 in the same day. Much bigger schools. Corbin won their region and Russell Co was state runner up.

Corbin is always thought of as a football power. They are always a threat to beat anyone, anywhere. I just think Pikeville is better this year. Can't wait for Friday.
You know that you have a pretty weak argument when you have to resort to omitting half a sentence to create a straw man. In your opening line, you left out "If all else is equal, such as coaching quality, facilities, etc.," 

Obviously, Kentucky is not a football state and there is an abundance of poor coaches in the state. There are plenty of schools from much larger schools that Pikeville would dominate. That is why I included the "If all else is equal..." language that you discarded. Pikeville has great coaching and facilities. Most Kentucky high schools do not. Time will tell whether Corbin's coaching staff just had a bad night against JC last season.

There is a reason that baseball and basketball are not broken into classes in Kentucky. It only takes a few great players in key positions to have a huge impact on a team's success, regardless of the size of the schools that they play. A 1A school is not going to be fortunate enough to be blessed with enough talent to compete with a well coached football team from a school with a 6A enrollment like Trinity or Male. It is rare that a well coached 4A or 5A team can compete with them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Patriot1
(08-18-2022, 11:23 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:

Cameron Combs has a offer from EKU. Thats D1. Franklin West is D1 material all day long. He is projected the top Tackle in his class.  After watching Cameron in the 2 scrimmages, he should be the anchor this season for Corbin if they plan to make a run. He looked the part on the field and he runs like a tornado. You picked Corbin to go 9-1. You said Franklin game would be the only loss........  Woah

jet pilot should be a lawyer i think he has me convinced .. i'm predicting 9-1 and only loss to pikeville
[-] The following 1 user Likes WhomTheBellTolls's post:
  • Bull got out!
(08-18-2022, 01:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-17-2022, 11:59 PM)jetpilot Wrote: then the top 4A teams will always have an advantage over top 1A teams

Not always.

You know that you have a pretty weak argument when you have to resort to omitting half a sentence to create a straw man. In your opening line, you left out "If all else is equal, such as coaching quality, facilities, etc.," 

Obviously, Kentucky is not a football state and there is an abundance of poor coaches in the state. There are plenty of schools from much larger schools that Pikeville would dominate. That is why I included the "If all else is equal..." language that you discarded. Pikeville has great coaching and facilities. Most Kentucky high schools do not. Time will tell whether Corbin's coaching staff just had a bad night against JC last season.

There is a reason that baseball and basketball are not broken into classes in Kentucky. It only takes a few great players in key positions to have a huge impact on a team's success, regardless of the size of the schools that they play. A 1A school is not going to be fortunate enough to be blessed with enough talent to compete with a well coached football team from a school with a 6A enrollment like Trinity or Male. It is rare that a well coached 4A or 5A team can compete with them.
That’s all true Hoot but I do believe they can compete and and can win but that is a tall task. Yes Corbin is the favorite and at home but competitive is what I look for out of Pikeville because Corbin is a very good football team and not many 1A teams are to the level of Corbin football. Now all of Pikeville students are in pike county and you Redhounds can’t say that I believe you guys have players from a lot of counties. Just kidding but I know PJDOUG would love that. So I just hope it’s a good competition and both teams come out injury free but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
(08-18-2022, 01:55 PM)Patriot1 Wrote:
(08-18-2022, 01:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Not always.

That’s all true Hoot but I do believe they can compete  and and can win but that is a tall task. Yes Corbin is the favorite and at home but competitive is what I look for out of Pikeville because Corbin is a very good football team and not many 1A teams are to the level of Corbin football. Now all of Pikeville students are in pike county and you Redhounds can’t say that I believe you guys have players from a lot of counties. Just kidding but I know PJDOUG would love that. So I just hope it’s a good competition and both teams come out injury free but as always GO PANTHERS!!!
I think that the game will definitely be competitive and could go either way. Voting is currently running 3 to 1 in Pikeville's favor. I picked Corbin to win because I think an upset is very possible. BTW, I am a JC graduate.

You are kidding your self if you think Corbin ain't still loaded with talent. I wish they weren't but they are. lol