Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Freshman?
Dawg@heart Wrote:Have you ever seen Chandler play football? He simply stated has God given, natural talent. He plays with ease whether it be baseball or football. Lucky for him, it all comes to him naturally and I agree, he will only get better as time goes on.
No, I have not, but I understand he is very good and fluid in what he does. He has what is called refined natural God given talent.

Just on a side note. It dont mean a hill of beans, but Parker can also sling a football about 70 yards and right now as a fresman is probably Johnson Central's best basketball player. Both facts will get him a job at McDonald's after he graduates.
OMG Wrote:i thought he was taller than 5'11" if this parker kid was as good as people say why hasn't he been pitching like shepherd has, you would think coach hall would make it his personal mission to develop this kid, if he were that good
Hey that's something you could ask him about the next time you talk to him.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:No, I have not, but I understand he is very good and fluid in what he does. He has what is called refined natural God given talent.

Just on a side note. It dont mean a hill of beans, but Parker can also sling a football about 70 yards and right now as a fresman is probably Johnson Central's best basketball player. Both facts will get him a job at McDonald's after he graduates.

Well you and I both hope they do better than that and they should....
Chandler Shephard has the potential to go big-time D-1.
canewarning93 Wrote:Chandler Shephard has the potential to go big-time D-1.
yes he is very talened to i play with him in summer ball and no one can hit him.
While size is certainly one factor coaches and ML scouts look at, the biggest things they are concerned with in a pitcher are stuff, velocity and control.
They really don't give a rat's fanny if you don't look like a classic athlete if you have those three factors going for you.
I've seen plenty of guys who make MLB rosters who weren't huge guys and weren't absolute flamethrowers.
If the statements of some posters were the actual gospel that scouts and recruiters go by, then people like Greg Maddux would've been accountants or engineers instead of Cy Young winners.
Greg is listed at 6'0 170, but really was about 5'10 or so and could not have thrown a pork chop past a house cat in his prime in terms of sheer velocity. Ditto Tom Glavine (but with a bit better velocity in his prime).
In fact, the average size of a MLB pitcher is 6'1 190-200 lbs. with 12.3 % body fat and an average fastball of 88-91 mph.
Shepherd, as I understand it, is 15 years old, 6'2 and 165 and throws in the 85-87 range.
With four more seasons to go.
Not saying he will ever make the majors cause there are too many variables -- but he is on that trajectory in terms of physical aspects.
Have never seen Parker pitch, but if he has those raw tools he could be molded into something, but it sounds like he is quite a bit behind in development.
dbcooper Wrote:While size is certainly one factor coaches and ML scouts look at, the biggest things they are concerned with in a pitcher are stuff, velocity and control.
They really don't give a rat's fanny if you don't look like a classic athlete if you have those three factors going for you.
I've seen plenty of guys who make MLB rosters who weren't huge guys and weren't absolute flamethrowers.
If the statements of some posters were the actual gospel that scouts and recruiters go by, then people like Greg Maddux would've been accountants or engineers instead of Cy Young winners.
Greg is listed at 6'0 170, but really was about 5'10 or so and could not have thrown a pork chop past a house cat in his prime in terms of sheer velocity. Ditto Tom Glavine (but with a bit better velocity in his prime).
In fact, the average size of a MLB pitcher is 6'1 190-200 lbs. with 12.3 % body fat and an average fastball of 88-91 mph.
Shepherd, as I understand it, is 15 years old, 6'2 and 165 and throws in the 85-87 range.
Not saying he will ever make the majors cause there are too many variables -- but he is on that trajectory in terms of physical aspects.
Have never seen Parker pitch, but if he has those raw tools he could be molded into something, but it sounds like he is quite a bit behind in development.
Hey thanks for the interesting comments. Finally someone with a little bit of knowledge of the game. You offer some very good and interesting comments, but if you dont mind I would like to throw in a few comments of my own and debate with you somewhat. I did a little research and came up with a few things that might interest you as well. Remember we are talking about right handed pitchers only, because that was the whole basis in some of the comments I made in earlier posts.

Below is a computation of every right handed pitcher that was on the major league rosters of every major league team last year. This is cumlative totals of their listed heights.

5'9''--------1
5'10''------5
5'11''-----10
6'0''-------27
6'1''-------48
6'2''-------64
6'3''-------73
6'4''-------53
6'5''-------35
6'6''-------23
6'7''-------13
6'8''-------4
6'10''-----1
As you can see , the average heighth of a ML right hander is probably closer to 6'3'' than 6'1. The way I calculate it is that there are a total of 91 pitchers in the major leagues shorter than 6'1'' and 266 taller than 6'1''.

Of course if you want to check this out for yourself the link is http://www.onestopbaseball.com/rosters/index.asp

Also I would like to give you the results of all the right handed pitchers that were chosen in the first 10 rounds only of the 2007 MLB draft. These are the listed heights of those pitchers.

5'11-------6
6'0''-------6
6'1''------12
6'2''------18
6'3''------25
6'4''------23
6'5''------15
6'6''-------9
6'7''-------5
6'11''-----2

Again you can see that the trend is actually a little closer to 6'4'' as the average heigth as opposed to your stated heigth of 6'1''. The numbers here are a little more overwhelming than what the average size on the actually MLB rosters are because of the more increasing desire for the prototypical body that is becoming the trend.

Also you make the mention of Greg Maddux. When Maddux was in his later high school years he was a 93-94 MPH thrower. He was tutored by a former major league scout by the name of Ralph Medar that taught him a different approach to pitching . Rather than being a flamethrower he instilled the mentality of movement and location over velocity. I have heard and read of Maddux's comments when asked about lack of velocity on his fastball from whomever the interviewer was that there was nothing wrong with his fastball because he could throw one 92MPH any time he wanted too. His reasoning was"there is no need to." But I enjoy you bringing him up because I have used him as an example many many times, when it came to discussing a thrower vs. someone who pitched. I even brought this example up to the head coach of Xavier University when he was scouting a game that I once attended. He was insisting that he was only looking for right handers that could hit 90 . I asked the question of "Are you trying to tell me that if Greg Maddux was pitching in high school, that you would not give him the time of dayt the," He had no reply to my question at all and proceded to just walk away. By the way Maddux did not get many college offers out of high school either. AS you well know Maddux is indeed a shining example of a craftsman vs. a thrower, but off the top of your head can you name another right hander that might fit this criteria? I cant think of any, but perhaps there have been many, IDK. Regardless he is certainly a rarity. Really Glavine should probably not be mentioned in this particular conversation at all because as you well know he is a lefty.
dbcooper Wrote:While size is certainly one factor coaches and ML scouts look at, the biggest things they are concerned with in a pitcher are stuff, velocity and control.
My last post was a little lengthy so I make this a mutiple post reply.

You mention that Shephard was throwing in the 86-87 MPH range. I have no idea at all at what velocity he is currently thowing beacuse I have not seen him since the summer. I can however give you the radar reading of his regional tournament outing. In the first inning, Shephard was throwing in the 81-83 MPH range and hit 84 two times. When he was removed in the what I think was the forth inning he had dropped to the 77-80 MPH range. I was really impressed with him, because for an 8th grader I thought he was very impressive. The common talk among people would be, hey the kid pitches 84 MPH and is only an 8th grader. Well, he did hit 84, but his average range was 80-82. Again witnessed him in a summer game at Ashland and he topped out at 83, and by the way was shelled and his team eventaly mercied. Now it is being said that he throws 86-87. This is very similar to the statement that you made saying that the average MLB velocity is 88-90. For a right hander it is somewhat greater. More like the 90-92 range. Again you have to remember that when you reach the major league level , that you are taught to more of a pitcher rather than a thrower, and to sacrifice velocity over location and movement. Keep this in mind, that just about any of the right handers that have a game working speed in the 90-92 MPH range are very capable of unleashing one in the 94-95 MPH range any time they wish. See what I'm getting at. Average game working speed and ability to hit on the gun are entirely different.

Although it is very possible that Shephard is capable of hitting 86-87, it is highly doubtful that he pitches in that range. You state that he is 6'2'', but I am looking at photographs of the 2007 regional tournament All tourney team and he does not look to be as tall as the guy he is standing beside, which is a 6'1'' Matt Fyffe. Perhaps he has grown since then. 14 and 15 year old kids have a tendency to do just that. As far as velocity I have also seen dramatic increases out of know where too. Matt Fyffe is the best example that I can think of. As a junior Matt threw in the 81-83 MPH range and only hit 84 twice the whole high school season. By late July he was clocked at the Junior All Star tryouts at 87. People made comments throughout the 2007 high school season that Matt was a 90 MPH pitcher. Yes Matt could hit 90, which a lot of times it was only on the first pitch of the game. In most cases he pitched in the 83-87 MPH range, and occasionaly would hit 89 during a game. But for that one to two 90MPH pitches that he would throw each game, he became a pitcher of 90MPH lore. He was far from it, when it came to actual game speed.

Just a breif comment on Parker. Parker threw every bit as hard as Shephard during the season, and actually hit 85 more than once. Parker has never had any formal traing at all, and has never particpated at anything more than just showing up for practice or to a game when so mandated. He has very good breaking stuff, and good movement on his fast ball. He is not intimadated by anything, much as Shephard, but the glaring difference in the two, is what goes on between the ears of each. Parker has a tendency to not be able to forget what the last batter might have done, or what he did with his last pitch and reacts accordingly. He is his own worst enemy. His performance on the mound is just as impressive as Shephards when he is in the right frame of mind. Trouble is that is the major problem more times than not... it's not. He is just as green as a guord, BUT he is just a freshman this year as well.
Just a side note to previouos comments....

Shepherd is indeed 6'2"-has he grown since last season. Also he was clocked CONSISTENTLY in the 86-88 range at UK's college showcase in late December.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:My last post was a little lengthy so I make this a mutiple post reply.

You mention that Shephard was throwing in the 86-87 MPH range. I have no idea at all at what velocity he is currently thowing beacuse I have not seen him since the summer. I can however give you the radar reading of his regional tournament outing. In the first inning, Shephard was throwing in the 81-83 MPH range and hit 84 two times. When he was removed in the what I think was the forth inning he had dropped to the 77-80 MPH range. I was really impressed with him, because for an 8th grader I thought he was very impressive. The common talk among people would be, hey the kid pitches 84 MPH and is only an 8th grader. Well, he did hit 84, but his average range was 80-82. Again witnessed him in a summer game at Ashland and he topped out at 83, and by the way was shelled and his team eventaly mercied. Now it is being said that he throws 86-87. This is very similar to the statement that you made saying that the average MLB velocity is 88-90. For a right hander it is somewhat greater. More like the 90-92 range. Again you have to remember that when you reach the major league level , that you are taught to more of a pitcher rather than a thrower, and to sacrifice velocity over location and movement. Keep this in mind, that just about any of the right handers that have a game working speed in the 90-92 MPH range are very capable of unleashing one in the 94-95 MPH range any time they wish. See what I'm getting at. Average game working speed and ability to hit on the gun are entirely different.

Although it is very possible that Shephard is capable of hitting 86-87, it is highly doubtful that he pitches in that range. You state that he is 6'2'', but I am looking at photographs of the 2007 regional tournament All tourney team and he does not look to be as tall as the guy he is standing beside, which is a 6'1'' Matt Fyffe. Perhaps he has grown since then. 14 and 15 year old kids have a tendency to do just that. As far as velocity I have also seen dramatic increases out of know where too. Matt Fyffe is the best example that I can think of. As a junior Matt threw in the 81-83 MPH range and only hit 84 twice the whole high school season. By late July he was clocked at the Junior All Star tryouts at 87. People made comments throughout the 2007 high school season that Matt was a 90 MPH pitcher. Yes Matt could hit 90, which a lot of times it was only on the first pitch of the game. In most cases he pitched in the 83-87 MPH range, and occasionaly would hit 89 during a game. But for that one to two 90MPH pitches that he would throw each game, he became a pitcher of 90MPH lore. He was far from it, when it came to actual game speed.

Just a breif comment on Parker. Parker threw every bit as hard as Shephard during the season, and actually hit 85 more than once. Parker has never had any formal traing at all, and has never particpated at anything more than just showing up for practice or to a game when so mandated. He has very good breaking stuff, and good movement on his fast ball. He is not intimadated by anything, much as Shephard, but the glaring difference in the two, is what goes on between the ears of each. Parker has a tendency to not be able to forget what the last batter might have done, or what he did with his last pitch and reacts accordingly. He is his own worst enemy. His performance on the mound is just as impressive as Shephards when he is in the right frame of mind. Trouble is that is the major problem more times than not... it's not. He is just as green as a guord, BUT he is just a freshman this year as well.

Good post... but...

Shepard is almost a full year older than when you and I viewed him last.

I am well aware that there is a difference between game working speed. Are you aware that there is no pitcher in any significant level of baseball who maintains a velocity of 90-92? Of course you are...
The reason they don't is because every pitch situation is different and if you don't change the pace you'll get hammered.
The reason your argument isn't a closing of this discussion is this: no workout situation for college or pro scouts consists of three pitches and them marking down the best one as your consistent velocity.
In fact, the scout will record your entire range of pitch velocity on everything you throw - fastball, breaking ball and off-speed and grade each pitch and evaluate from there.
There is no doubt in my mind that Parker possesses a live arm -- I've heard too many things from too many sources that he indeed has serious velocity for a freshman.
I am well aware of what a major leaguer can do in both consistent velocity and that two-strike I need it pitch situation and I am in no way saying Shepherd or Parker has that.
I have seen one hurler in this area in the last ten years who had an arm that developed in high school and he had as they termed it in those days "million dollar arm and ten cent head."
He was drafted and did not even come close to The Show.
Even Brandon Webb didn't have the high school arm that kid did.
Thanks for the discussion, Kimball. I like your willingness to give and take.
dbcooper Wrote:Good post... but...

Shepard is almost a full year older than when you and I viewed him last.

I am well aware that there is a difference between game working speed. Are you aware that there is no pitcher in any significant level of baseball who maintains a velocity of 90-92? Of course you are...
The reason they don't is because every pitch situation is different and if you don't change the pace you'll get hammered.
The reason your argument isn't a closing of this discussion is this: no workout situation for college or pro scouts consists of three pitches and them marking down the best one as your consistent velocity.
In fact, the scout will record your entire range of pitch velocity on everything you throw - fastball, breaking ball and off-speed and grade each pitch and evaluate from there.
There is no doubt in my mind that Parker possesses a live arm -- I've heard too many things from too many sources that he indeed has serious velocity for a freshman.
I am well aware of what a major leaguer can do in both consistent velocity and that two-strike I need it pitch situation and I am in no way saying Shepherd or Parker has that.
I have seen one hurler in this area in the last ten years who had an arm that developed in high school and he had as they termed it in those days "million dollar arm and ten cent head."
He was drafted and did not even come close to The Show.
Even Brandon Webb didn't have the high school arm that kid did.
Thanks for the discussion, Kimball. I like your willingness to give and take.
I well aware what you are meaning with the potential problems of what a pitcher can face when throwing at a constant velocity. Batters will ultimately time, sit, and wait, if no variance is made. I used 90-92 as a range number, but you used 88-91 as the same reference point to imply the same point that I was trying to make. Point that I am trying to convey is that when you start talking about what ever the velocity is of an average MLB'er is , you cannot assume that that particular range is the same thing as to what the topping out velocity is of those same pitchers. They are all able to reach back and put a little extra pop on the ball when ever they want to. Common problem about reaching back is that it tends to sometimes take some of the movement away from the ball and make it "flatten out", even by those that are thought of to have very lively arms. What has made Maddux so sucessful is his uncanny ability spot the ball, but maybe more importantly his ability to locate his changeup and the ability to play mind game with the unpredicabilty of what his next upcoming pitch might be. His curve ball has only been somewhat average. Him puposely taking several miles per hour off his fastball for the sake of movement only enhanced his effectiveness.

I think that you were using a number that was an average of all pitchers, rather than average numbers for pitchers coming from only one side. Right handers are more commonly required to throw a little harder than a left hander and are in general somewhat taller than lefties and are in the minds of a lot of scouts and coaches more "projectable" coming from the high school and college levels and are thought to be more physically enduring than what a somewhat shorter in stature right hander might be over the long haul.

Not saying that I agree with that principal at all, because to me 90 MPH is the same speed coming to the plate if it is thrown by a pitcher that is 5'9'' or from pitcher that is 6'9''. 90 MPH is still 90MPH, and 94 MPH is still 94MPH. However with a taller pitcher you are probably a foot or perhaps more closer to the plate at point of release than a pitch coming from a shorter pitcher and physics tell us that the reaction time by the batter must be faster. I just know of one particular pitcher from the area , that was shuned by some colleges at the high school level and in particular by a nearby college coach because he felt that this particular kid had peaked out physically because of his heigth. He was recruited by a much larger college as well, and his physical size was not the same consideration as it was by the other coach. In fact his statement was that velocity was behind movement, and the ability to throw strikes as far as priorities. Velocity and heigth was not a factor to him nearly as much as what it was with Coach A. This particular player threw in the 84-87 MPH range as a high school junior when recruited and has recently topped out at 92 , with an extemely live arm and Martinez type changeup as a college sophomore, all that with the fact of after sitting out for injury for almost a year and a half in between thrown into the equation. This particular player is only 5'10'' and weighs approximately 170 lbs. His development defied what "coach A" feared . Just trying to make a point of a stigma that does exist with among some in the college and professional baseball establishment when it comes to being a right hander and not posessing a certain heigth. Oh, by the way, Coach A is no longer at his place of employment as he ran that program into the ground and almost destroyed it, and Coach B is generally thought of as one of the up and coming and has had his program ranked in the top 20 nationally and went as far as breaking the top 10 a couple of years ago. Both programs are D1. However his current coach has made the statement to him that if he would have been 6'5" he would have been drafted a long time ago. Perhaps the common thoughts of being prototypical is one of the reasons for the lack of quality pitching in the majors?

So I guess what I am saying is that in some cases it still comes down to the statement that you intially made about the ability of a pitcher to be able to spot and change speeds, but at the same time you absolutely cannot be naive to the fact that the afore mentioned stigma does in fact live and breath in the minds of what I will still refer to as a majority. I feel that the lists of heights of players currently on MLB rosters and the list of drafted players only confirms the point that I am making. Common sense tells us that the average male is closer in height to 6'0" than 6'4''. My question to you that if the overwhelming number of males is of the shorter of the two heights, then why are they in the very exterme minority in the major leagues and in college? I think my statements are full of basis, based on the facts that I presented and of what I have personally witnessed and been told directly of.

I can only assume that the kid with the "million dollar arm" that never made it to the "Show" that you are refering to from a few years back is a player that comes from the same neck of the woods as Brandon Webb, and was drafted by the Pirates, or by a lefty from the western West Va. area that was drafted by the Angels.? Those are the only two that immediately come to my mind as possibilities that also share the 10 cent brain charactoristics, but perhaps there is another.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:I well aware what you are meaning with the potential problems of what a pitcher can face when throwing at a constant velocity. Batters will ultimately time, sit, and wait, if no variance is made. I used 90-92 as a range number, but you used 88-91 as the same reference point to imply the same point that I was trying to make. Point that I am trying to convey is that when you start talking about what ever the velocity is of an average MLB'er is , you cannot assume that that particular range is the same thing as to what the topping out velocity is of those same pitchers. They are all able to reach back and put a little extra pop on the ball when ever they want to. Common problem about reaching back is that it tends to sometimes take some of the movement away from the ball and make it "flatten out", even by those that are thought of to have very lively arms. What has made Maddux so sucessful is his uncanny ability spot the ball, but maybe more importantly his ability to locate his changeup and the ability to play mind game with the unpredicabilty of what his next upcoming pitch might be. His curve ball has only been somewhat average. Him puposely taking several miles per hour off his fastball for the sake of movement only enhanced his effectiveness.

I think that you were using a number that was an average of all pitchers, rather than average numbers for pitchers coming from only one side. Right handers are more commonly required to throw a little harder than a left hander and are in general somewhat taller than lefties and are in the minds of a lot of scouts and coaches more "projectable" coming from the high school and college levels and are thought to be more physically enduring than what a somewhat shorter in stature right hander might be over the long haul.

Not saying that I agree with that principal at all, because to me 90 MPH is the same speed coming to the plate if it is thrown by a pitcher that is 5'9'' or from pitcher that is 6'9''. 90 MPH is still 90MPH, and 94 MPH is still 94MPH. However with a taller pitcher you are probably a foot or perhaps more closer to the plate at point of release than a pitch coming from a shorter pitcher and physics tell us that the reaction time by the batter must be faster. I just know of one particular pitcher from the area , that was shuned by some colleges at the high school level and in particular by a nearby college coach because he felt that this particular kid had peaked out physically because of his heigth. He was recruited by a much larger college as well, and his physical size was not the same consideration as it was by the other coach. In fact his statement was that velocity was behind movement, and the ability to throw strikes as far as priorities. Velocity and heigth was not a factor to him nearly as much as what it was with Coach A. This particular player threw in the 84-87 MPH range as a high school junior when recruited and has recently topped out at 92 , with an extemely live arm and Martinez type changeup as a college sophomore, all that with the fact of after sitting out for injury for almost a year and a half in between thrown into the equation. This particular player is only 5'10'' and weighs approximately 170 lbs. His development defied what "coach A" feared . Just trying to make a point of a stigma that does exist with among some in the college and professional baseball establishment when it comes to being a right hander and not posessing a certain heigth. Oh, by the way, Coach A is no longer at his place of employment as he ran that program into the ground and almost destroyed it, and Coach B is generally thought of as one of the up and coming and has had his program ranked in the top 20 nationally and went as far as breaking the top 10 a couple of years ago. Both programs are D1. However his current coach has made the statement to him that if he would have been 6'5" he would have been drafted a long time ago. Perhaps the common thoughts of being prototypical is one of the reasons for the lack of quality pitching in the majors?

So I guess what I am saying is that in some cases it still comes down to the statement that you intially made about the ability of a pitcher to be able to spot and change speeds, but at the same time you absolutely cannot be naive to the fact that the afore mentioned stigma does in fact live and breath in the minds of what I will still refer to as a majority. I feel that the lists of heights of players currently on MLB rosters and the list of drafted players only confirms the point that I am making. Common sense tells us that the average male is closer in height to 6'0" than 6'4''. My question to you that if the overwhelming number of males is of the shorter of the two heights, then why are they in the very exterme minority in the major leagues and in college? I think my statements are full of basis, based on the facts that I presented and of what I have personally witnessed and been told directly of.

I can only assume that the kid with the "million dollar arm" that never made it to the "Show" that you are refering to from a few years back is a player that comes from the same neck of the woods as Brandon Webb, and was drafted by the Pirates, or by a lefty from the western West Va. area that was drafted by the Angels.? Those are the only two that immediately come to my mind as possibilities that also share the 10 cent brain charactoristics, but perhaps there is another.

There is no question that height is desirable for reasons of pure physics -- but the fact remains that the average MLB pitcher is still not a tower in hte neighborhood of Harang, Johnson, et al.
The numbers you presented show that a prospect is more likely to be in the 6'0-6'3 range than anything else.
I don't want to specify who I was talking about, but you could be on the right track.
Thanks for the discussion.
When it is all said and done Sheperd will probably be the best pitcher in LC history, oh and not mention will more than likely be the starting Qb for the dawgs next season on the football team in my mind he is by far the best freshman in the 15th and probably the best or one best in the state
RedSeal Wrote:When it is all said and done Sheperd will probably be the best pitcher in LC history, oh and not mention will more than likely be the starting Qb for the dawgs next season on the football team in my mind he is by far the best freshman in the 15th and probably the best or one best in the state

My, how quickly we forget about Stevie Blevins.
Maybe he isn't forgetting Stevie but when taking age into consideration?
Dawg@heart Wrote:Maybe he isn't forgetting Stevie but when taking age into consideration?

Perhaps, but Stevie was a phenom as an 8th grader as well , with a bat (with power) that equaled his pitching arm.
Yes, he was. I've been told that Chandler is as or more strong at the same age comparison, by people that are knowledgable of that era. Understand that Shepherd's bat will suprise alot of us this year?
Dawg@heart Wrote:Yes, he was. I've been told that Chandler is as or more strong at the same age comparison, by people that are knowledgable of that era. Understand that Shepherd's bat will suprise alot of us this year?
Certainly not saying that it could not happen, but I think we need to wait until a high school career is over, before you make definate comparisons. It's not an exact science to speculate on what any kid may do or may not do 4 years down the road. There have been countless thousands of kids that perform at one level early in their career, and then peak somewhat. You can also never predict a future injury. Many a promising career has been ended by a premature injury. Him playing football kind of adds a little more potential liability to that fact . As far as batting, everyone that has ever played the game has had periods where they have looked like either Pete Rose at the plate or Pete Nobody. That's just the nature of the game , I guess. Just that Blevins has proved his ability over his 5 year period, it was not projected. He was in fact ranked as one of the Top 50 juniors in the country by Street and Smith.

I know that Shephard had a very good post season at the plate, but I remember very shortly before entering distict play his batting average was around the .250 range. Perhaps he will do better this upcoming season.

I hope he as a great career, because there is no doubt that he is very talented, but you are doing no kid, I dont care who they are, any favors by making such broad statements. The best advice I can give is just let a kid go out day to day and just do the best that they can do, and enjoy their high school days,and not put the pressures of someone else's expectations on their shoulders, no matter of what level they may be perceived to be at. If they do the best that they can do, and work hard at everything then there will nothing left to prove about anything to anyone. I can tell you 100% for sure that after the high school days are over, the game is never going to be the same. It's a business from then on out. A lot of the fun you had as a kid will never be replicated again.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Certainly not saying that it could not happen, but I think we need to wait until a high school career is over, before you make definate comparisons. It's not an exact science to speculate on what any kid may do or may not do 4 years down the road. There have been countless thousands of kids that perform at one level early in their career, and then peak somewhat. You can also never predict a future injury. Many a promising career has been ended by a premature injury. Him playing football kind of adds a little more potential liability to that fact . As far as batting, everyone that has ever played the game has had periods where they have looked like either Pete Rose at the plate or Pete Nobody. That's just the nature of the game , I guess. Just that Blevins has proved his ability over his 5 year period, it was not projected. He was in fact ranked as one of the Top 50 juniors in the country by Street and Smith.

I know that Shephard had a very good post season at the plate, but I remember very shortly before entering distict play his batting average was around the .250 range. Perhaps he will do better this upcoming season.

I hope he as a great career, because there is no doubt that he is very talented, but you are doing no kid, I dont care who they are, any favors by making such broad statements. The best advice I can give is just let a kid go out day to day and just do the best that they can do, and enjoy their high school days,and not put the pressures of someone else's expectations on their shoulders, no matter of what level they may be perceived to be at. If they do the best that they can do, and work hard at everything then there will nothing left to prove about anything to anyone. I can tell you 100% for sure that after the high school days are over, the game is never going to be the same. It's a business from then on out. A lot of the fun you had as a kid will never be replicated again.

I recall that Shepherd batted over .600 in the district tourney, which perhaps contributed to his being awarded MVP. The only concern I see in your posts is that you seem to think his career is already over-that he peaked in middle school in something. It is absurd to compare anyone to anyone-each brings their own special talent to the game. Being a fan from LC, I have to only hope that he does continue to improve and IF that is the case, then he will have a bright future ahead of him. People seem to think he is only capable of pitching, but he has been known to prove himself in the field as well. A versatile player indeed.
But your are correct, when we get older, it sure isn't as fun anymore is it??
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Certainly not saying that it could not happen, but I think we need to wait until a high school career is over, before you make definate comparisons. It's not an exact science to speculate on what any kid may do or may not do 4 years down the road. There have been countless thousands of kids that perform at one level early in their career, and then peak somewhat. You can also never predict a future injury. Many a promising career has been ended by a premature injury. Him playing football kind of adds a little more potential liability to that fact . As far as batting, everyone that has ever played the game has had periods where they have looked like either Pete Rose at the plate or Pete Nobody. That's just the nature of the game , I guess. Just that Blevins has proved his ability over his 5 year period, it was not projected. He was in fact ranked as one of the Top 50 juniors in the country by Street and Smith.

I recall that Shepherd batted over .600 in the district tourney, which perhaps contributed to his being awarded MVP. The only concern I see in your posts is that you seem to think his career is already over-that he peaked in middle school in something. I don't think anyone was comparing Shepherd as a freshman in high school to the ability of Blevins in college-more like when Stevie was in 8th or 9th grade but I personally think it is absurd to compare anyone to anyone-each brings their own special talent to the game. Being a fan from LC, I have to only hope that he does continue to improve and IF that is the case, then he will have a bright future ahead of him. People seem to think he is only capable of pitching, but he has been known to prove himself in the field as well. A versatile player indeed.
Sorry about that duplication-thought I was editing but posted twice!
Big Dawg Wrote:I recall that Shepherd batted over .600 in the district tourney, which perhaps contributed to his being awarded MVP. The only concern I see in your posts is that you seem to think his career is already over-that he peaked in middle school in something. I don't think anyone was comparing Shepherd as a freshman in high school to the ability of Blevins in college-more like when Stevie was in 8th or 9th grade but I personally think it is absurd to compare anyone to anyone-each brings their own special talent to the game. Being a fan from LC, I have to only hope that he does continue to improve and IF that is the case, then he will have a bright future ahead of him. People seem to think he is only capable of pitching, but he has been known to prove himself in the field as well. A versatile player indeed.
lol

I said he had great district tournament,did I not? The fact is for the whole regular season he only batted in the 200's. Perhaps he will become the next Barry Bonds, IDK. The fact is there is not a soul on earth that can predict either way, the way things will turn out for a 15 year old kid .

I was not the one that said that Shephard will be the greatest pitcher ever at Lawrence, a Lawrence Co. fan did. He was the one that initiated a comparison conversation, not I. I just said it is maybe somewhat unfair or perhaps unfounded to label a 15 year old kid as being the best of all time just as an 8th grader especially when you just saw one of the best pitchers ever from eastern Kentucky graduate from LC only 3 short years ago. Let him go out and be a kid and just have fun playing and not saddle him @ 15 years of age with having to prove his greatness to everyone. That's exactly all I said. Nothing more , nothing less.

Perhaps he has peaked, perhaps he has not. I didn't say I felt he had or had not way either. I dont know, and you or anyone else dont know that either. I just said that sometimes it happens. I also said that sometimes an injury can shorten or alter a potentially bright career. Remember it is an overwheming stat for pitchers ,that it is not usually a question of if he will have some sort of arm problems on down the road it's more a more a question of when. Wear and tear can ultimately take it's toll. Some pitchers are able to fully recover and come back just as strong, in some cases they can't. The fact that he also plays quarterback just sort of multiplies the chance possibility.

And that is about basicly all I said. Sheesh, I aint saying he is not a very good player at all, it has been in fact the exact opposite.Smile I hope he has a great career.
RELAX!!! I wasn't trying to argue with you-I just thought we were having a point, counterpoint discussion. I said I thought it wrong to compare anyone to anyone, remember? Nobody can say you haven't been complimentary of Shepherd!
Big Dawg Wrote:RELAX!!! I wasn't trying to argue with you-I just thought we were having a point, counterpoint discussion. I said I thought it wrong to compare anyone to anyone, remember? Nobody can say you haven't been complimentary of Shepherd!
Ok, well great then. Guess I misunderstood. Thanks for the reply. Best of luck to Lawrence Co. as well as Mr. Shepherd this coming season.
:thumpsup:
I have to ask Mr. Kimball-are you a player? or a coach? and do you ever sleep?? lol
I am not a baseball fan. Not well versed in the sport. I will help you out with Parker. I know him well. He has lived at my house, I have fed him, clothed him, and tried to help him. He is a great athlete but I beleive there is just too much STUFF going on at home and in his life to overcome at this point. He cannot focus on any sport, and he could excel at all of them. He is great raw talent, very raw!!! He just doesn't have the background and capacity to think on his feet that he needs. Everytime he gets help and starts to come around his certain family members suddenly want to be involved and allienate those who would take him under their wing. I love the kid and wish the best for him but it's just not happening between the ears. God bless him.
pawsmom2 Wrote:I am not a baseball fan. Not well versed in the sport. I will help you out with Parker. I know him well. He has lived at my house, I have fed him, clothed him, and tried to help him. He is a great athlete but I beleive there is just too much STUFF going on at home and in his life to overcome at this point. He cannot focus on any sport, and he could excel at all of them. He is great raw talent, very raw!!! He just doesn't have the background and capacity to think on his feet that he needs. Everytime he gets help and starts to come around his certain family members suddenly want to be involved and allienate those who would take him under their wing. I love the kid and wish the best for him but it's just not happening between the ears. God bless him.

Is he a good student? I'm asking because Lord willing, he may get a look for his athletics and luck into a chance to go to college and make a good life for himself?
Dawg@heart Wrote:Is he a good student? I'm asking because Lord willing, he may get a look for his athletics and luck into a chance to go to college and make a good life for himself?

No. He never has been. Not even in elementary school when he was being taken special care of by a handful of teachers and coaches with high hopes. He will coast through high school with low grades because of his athletic abilities but will not be able to make it in college. The whole situation makes me so sad because at one point when he was spending most of his time with us he started coming around and studying etc. I'm not a quitter and hated to give up on him but he is to the point the he expects handouts and special treatment because of his athleticism and just lacks the work ethic to complete the package. SAD STUFF!
pawsmom2 Wrote:No. He never has been. Not even in elementary school when he was being taken special care of by a handful of teachers and coaches with high hopes. He will coast through high school with low grades because of his athletic abilities but will not be able to make it in college. The whole situation makes me so sad because at one point when he was spending most of his time with us he started coming around and studying etc. I'm not a quitter and hated to give up on him but he is to the point the he expects handouts and special treatment because of his athleticism and just lacks the work ethic to complete the package. SAD STUFF!

Honestly, how does someone even reply to 2 pathetic posts such as your last 2? I really am at a loss for words. Maybe I can string something together later. Tongueuke:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Honestly, how does someone even reply to 2 pathetic posts such as your last 2? I really am at a loss for words. Maybe I can string something together later. Tongueuke:

Sorry you feel that way. I'm not trying to be against the kid at all. I wish someone would help him, many have tried. He's a standout athlete.