Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Playing A Tough Opponent Last Game
I love seeing the great matchups as well but as a coach or fan I would gladly give up a good game and play a lesser team or even better have a bye. Look at the NFL Preseason most teams run their starters out for maybe 1-2 drives and then sit them and play the backups. To me any advantage from playing a tough physical team is outweighed by the additional injury risk. From experience injuries occur more when you are playing a tough hard hitting team like say Johnson Central as compared to a less physical team.

I would much rather have a healthy well rested team than to get one more tough game before the playoffs.
Belfry and Johnson Central play similar physical styles of football and they have been ending the regular season with games against each other for a long time and both have won multiple state titles during that period. I also do not recall injuries from those games costing either team a shot at a state title.
Belfry always the season with 5A Johnson Central, we always have to play a tougher out of district schedule.

This year we have\will play:

5A Pulaski County
4A Bourbon County
4A Lexington Christian (2021 State Champion)
4A Louisville Central
1A Pikeville (2021 State Champion)
5A Johnson Central (2021 State Runner-Up)

We definitely do not back away from good competition.
Also, keeping kids focused by taking film, scout team, and practice prep serious keeps a team clicking on all cylinders.

Playing a cupcake is a waste!
Injuries can happen any time. Belfry and JC each year since 07 in the last game of the regular season has worked out pretty good.
64SUR

(10-26-2022, 10:46 AM)wolfcat Wrote: I love seeing the great matchups as well but as a coach or fan I would gladly give up a good game and play a lesser team or even better have a bye. Look at the NFL Preseason most teams run their starters out for maybe 1-2 drives and then sit them and play the backups. To me any advantage from playing a tough physical team is outweighed by the additional injury risk. From experience injuries occur more when you are playing a tough hard hitting team like say Johnson Central as compared to a less physical team.

I would much rather have a healthy well rested team than to get one more tough game before the playoffs.

IMO I guess it depends on where your team is positioned towards the end of the season. I personally like tough competition until the last game of the season, because the first couple of playoff rounds are less competitive. That's when we can rest our starters. But so many teams schedule cupcakes and boast about an undefeated season, just to repeatedly get knocked off in the playoffs. And if you ask them, most will say it was due to a soft schedule. Gotta prepare them boys for battle! Not kill them with injuries but do your best to test them throughout the season.
Ashland usually has a bye the last week and I like that but can see advantages to playing a strong opponent also as long as no one gets hurt. Tomcats way back in 15 lost 2 D1 starters in a meaningless game that cost them dearly in the playoffs. Seems to work out pretty good for Belfry year in and out though.