Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Belfry @ Ashland 11/11
Belfry travels to Putnam for a 2nd Round playoff matchup. The Tomcats are young very young but have righted the ship and are playing pretty good football. I think Belfry is the favorite but they struggle against Ashland especially at home. Remember this Belfry plays on turf, Putnam is a grass playing surface and it’s suppose to rain tonight, one day next week and Friday. Belfry struggled mightily the last time they came to Putnam and were held to a field goal. If the Tomcats can stay balanced on offense and make Belfry sustain drives and keep the big plays to a minimum on defense they have a great chance to advance.
Strader will have some success throwing the ball but belfry ol/dl will dominate the tomcats. Ashland better set the edge on defense or it’s gonna be a long night. Belfry #11 and #55 are really good. Putnam stadium is a tough place to play but If belfry doesn’t turn the ball over they win
I don't think either team can be considered young anymore after playing 11 games, but both seem to be playing well at the right time.
Having said that, I'll take the Tomcats by a touchdown, but a Belfry victory wouldn't surprise me in the least.
These are two programs that didn’t have good starts to the season by the standards of their programs but have found a way to turn their seasons around to be respectably successful. I think this should be a good game that could go either way and wouldn’t be surprised to see either team get the win.
Tackett Ashland’s HC knows how to contain limit Belfry’s rushing attack as he was their DC. Does Ashland have the personal to get the job done? We shall see Friday. Should be a great game.
Containing any offense on paper with schemes is EASY! To stop Belfey is even EASIER: take away fullback dive, stuff C gap; set the edge and contain the QB; play a 2 high safety look and roll to Cov three with safety to option side filling in the alley. It’s so so easy; it’s just the doing it that’s hard. PH has how many wins now……LOL
I saw Dre Young didn’t play for Belfry last week. Is he out still?
Putty tats will win this game.
I love Putnam Stadium; really cool place. I think the coach with the broken ribs will inspire his crew to pull out a win.
(11-05-2022, 04:51 PM)ROTC Wrote: I love Putnam Stadium; really cool place.  I think the coach with the broken ribs will inspire his crew to pull out a win.
For sure one of the best if not the best places to watch a high school game. No track no turf and elevated seating being 20 feet or so from the field not a bad seat in the house.  Theirs been a lot of great players and games played at Putnam Stadium, hopefully this Friday will be another one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes T-CATS's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
(11-05-2022, 01:11 PM)T-CATS Wrote: Belfry travels to Putnam for a 2nd Round playoff matchup. The Tomcats are young very young but have righted the ship and are playing pretty good football. I think Belfry is the favorite but they struggle against Ashland especially at home. Remember this Belfry plays on turf, Putnam is a grass playing surface and it’s suppose to rain tonight, one day next week and Friday. Belfry struggled mightily the last time they came to Putnam and were  held to a field goal. If the Tomcats can stay balanced on offense and make Belfry sustain drives and keep the big plays to a minimum on defense they have a great chance to advance.

First of all: Belfry will NOT be the favorite next week.

Secondly: Belfry can practice on a grassy surface if they need to...they can wet it down to make it as sloppy as needed..so don't worry about them...they'll be just fine.

Thirdly: Belfry\Ashland has always been a good series, not really a rivalry. Just hard hitting Football. The series is competitive. 

Belfry comes into this game with a few injuries still but very battled tested. The majority of our opponents this season has been from Class 4A & 5A. And against Two defending State Champions and a Runner-up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
NO……VEM……….BERRRR…Means

Belfry 42
Ashland 21
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!
Since RAM-A-DEVIL pick Ashland I am taking Belfry because he can’t never get anything right
[-] The following 1 user Likes Patriot1's post:
  • Westside
Facts in Ashland's favor:

Belfry has won 1 game this season against a team with a winning record and that was by 3 points against a 6-4 Central team.

Belfry lost by 14 to the last average balanced team they faced on grass on the road as Lawrence County ran for 174 yards and threw for 118 against them.

Facts in Belfry's favor:

Ashland needed a final drive interception to beat Russell by 6 while Belfry beat Russell by 42.

The last team Ashland faced this season with a power rushing attack was Wheelersburg and they lost that game by 42 giving up 300 rushing yards.

Can Ashland stop Belfry's run game? T-Cats says head coach Chad Tackett knows how. I'd feel better about those chances if his son, Caleb Tackett, were still on the field. According to the KHSAA stats, not a single current Ashland defensive player made a single tackle in that 2020 game.

Can Belfry stop Ashland's balanced attack? All I know is they better find a way to get to the QB Strader early and often. He may be the best pocket passer in the area given time and he has a wide array of weapons to go to on all levels of the field.

This should be a great game that will probably come down to something like special teams play or a field goal. It seems dead even to me.
[-] The following 2 users Like 16thregioner's post:
  • 64SUR, i82much
I think 16thregioner's summary is right on. It's just a hard game to pick a clear favorite. We have two of eastern Kentucky's traditional powers and neither is in their best form. I believe this game comes down to execution and adjustments. Ashland's balanced offensive attack puts more pressure on Belfry's coaches in terms of game plan and adjustments....but Belfry's offense pressures the Tomcat defense to execute with little margin for error. (I haven't seen Belfry play this year so I'm assuming they're still running the same stuff that made them Belfry) I always like to see a winner determined by "who does what best" but this one may come down to turnovers and a big play on special teams....but that's part of the game...should be a fun time on Elm Street. A blowout by either team would surprise me. If forced to pick a winner I would go with Ashland but this one is a toss up.
Little fun fact I heard last night. Brandon Houston WR #8 for the Tomcats has scored a 40 plus yard TD in every Ashland. Victory this season. Something to watch Friday Night.

Receiving TD
I'll go with Belfry in this one. Should be a fun game.
For some reason, Belfry has struggled when they have played at Ashland over the years, but I am going to pick the Pirates to win a close one this week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • T-CATS
(11-06-2022, 04:14 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: For some reason, Belfry has struggled when they have played at Ashland over the years, but I am going to pick the Pirates to win a close one this week.
The Tomcats are almost always well coached and have speed and athletes all over the field along with having a rich tradition of winning Football. Haywood and Belfry much like Bob Lutz and Ironton don’t try and trick you they run 5-10 plays but run them to perfection and say stop me if you can.
Can Belfry control the line of scrimmage like they did against Russell?

Can Belfrys young secondary even come close to covering Ashlands stud receivers?
(11-06-2022, 05:40 PM)RTruth Wrote: Can Belfry control the line of scrimmage like they did against Russell?

Can Belfrys young secondary even come close to covering Ashlands stud receivers?
Two very good questions.   Honestly don’t know the answer to either.   I will say that Belfry’s overall team speed was a major problem for Russell.  

I think the biggest issue is the Pirates immaturity.    Belfry has been a terrible road team.  Very un-Belfry like….but this team is very very young. .  This Has been their bugaboo all season.  Has this team grown?    IMO ..despite losing to JC …..Belfry played hard.  Actually thought they grew up some despite the loss.   Does that trend continue?     BTW….Belfry’s offense hung 40 on Russell. (Two pick 6’s accounted for the other 2 scores)…..ithout Dre Young.     I don’t think Haywood has won at Ashland….but…,I won’t be surprised if that streak is broken.
I think Belfry wins this one. Ashland only beating Russell by 6 and losing to Hazard gives me confidence they pull it out.
What is the injury report for Belfry?
Tomcats are 19-4 all time against Belfry. Belfry has lost 7 straight at Putnam Stadium with their last W coming back in 1989. Ashland ‘s super sophomore backfield Strader (QB) is big kid good speed strong arm about 6”3 230. He doesn’t run that often unless he has too but can do some damage with his legs and arm and is a load to bring down. Super sophomore Jennings Ashland’s starting RB needs to hit the weight room but has great vision can cut on a dime and has sprinters speed. He is the son of former Fairview Eagle and Cleveland Brown Chris Jennings. Ashland has an abundance of underclassmen starting including a freshman on the OL and many playing key roles this season gaining valuable experience. If Ashland’s Defense can do their part I like their chances.
Ashland seems to have gotten better as the season has progressed, but for whatever reason I think Belfry pulls this one out in a very close game.
Both of these teams have played "boys against men" for the entirety of the season. They are two of the youngest teams in the state. I doubt there have been many post season games played on any football field in Kentucky where the average age of the players is as low as this one. I think this has played into the inconsistency that both teams have experienced this year which is why it's hard to put a finger on who wins. Although both teams have matured and gained valuable experience we are still trying to predict what young kids will do..... and while that's the case in most high school games it's never more true than in this one. Regardless of the outcome it's easy to predict that both teams have a bright future...and...if both teams remain in 3A through the next cycle this may be the first of many "classics". While these teams haven't played enough to consider this matchup a rivalry this game could represent the birth of one.
Belfry will be coming by Ark Friday evening to splash on Putnam’s pristine turf wink wink.

In all seriousness, the officiating crew will be from the Central Kentucky Football Officials Association.
Will there be any stream for this game
(11-09-2022, 07:08 PM)Belfry fan 75 Wrote: Will there be any stream for this game
https://www.mytowntv.com/ashland-blazer-...chool.html
Better beat Belfry while you can because the window is closing fast