Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mays fired from Ashland
Looks as if Ashland did what they had to do to keep the hammer from being dropped on them by the KHSAA
Why would they fire him with the season less than two weeks away?
(11-15-2022, 05:20 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Why would they fire him with the season less than two weeks away?

Because the KHSAA was fixing to drop the hammer.
He gone.

I guess that phone call was a big deal after all.
Jason Mays was a victim of the deep seeded, generations long hatred of Ashland that has been fostered at both Boyd County and Russell over the decades as Lions and Red Devils more often than not lost to the always prideful Tomcats.

Someone should have warned him. You don’t talk to your rivals on the phone. I guess the Ashland principal didn’t recognize this either, though, as he actually tried to win an election from constituents living largely in the Russell school district. They both severely underestimated the hatred that exists between these schools and programs.

Sure, members, administrators, parents, and alumni of all these schools will look each other in the face and point out they all eat at the same restaurants, shop at the same stores, and worship at the same churches, but don’t be surprised to see knives sticking out of each others backs when they walk away.

Now we’re left to see if the KHSAA agrees that the sacrifice of Jason Mays is enough. If not, Ashland’s boys basketball players could be sitting in the stands at the district and region tournaments this season. If that’s the case, Boyd County and Russell will surely welcome any talented Ashland athletes with open arms. We shall see.
(11-15-2022, 06:34 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Jason Mays was a victim of the deep seeded, generations long hatred of Ashland that has been fostered at both Boyd County and Russell over the decades as Lions and Red Devils more often than not lost to the always prideful Tomcats.

Someone should have warned him.  You don’t talk to your rivals on the phone.  I guess the Ashland principal didn’t recognize this either, though, as he actually tried to win an election from constituents living largely in the Russell school district.  They both severely underestimated the hatred that exists between these schools and programs.

Sure, members, administrators, parents, and alumni of all these schools will look each other in the face and point out they all eat at the same restaurants, shop at the same stores, and worship at the same churches, but don’t be surprised to see knives sticking out of each others backs when they walk away.

Now we’re left to see if the KHSAA agrees that the sacrifice of Jason Mays is enough.  If not, Ashland’s boys basketball players could be sitting in the stands at the district and region tournaments this season.  If that’s the case, Boyd County and Russell will surely welcome any talented Ashland athletes with open arms.  We shall see.

So you are saying he is an innocent victim?  You know there is a recording, right?
[-] The following 2 users Like SocratesKy's post:
  • 16thregionballer, TheOracle
(11-15-2022, 07:42 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 06:34 PM)16thregioner Wrote: Jason Mays was a victim of the deep seeded, generations long hatred of Ashland that has been fostered at both Boyd County and Russell over the decades as Lions and Red Devils more often than not lost to the always prideful Tomcats.

Someone should have warned him.  You don’t talk to your rivals on the phone.  I guess the Ashland principal didn’t recognize this either, though, as he actually tried to win an election from constituents living largely in the Russell school district.  They both severely underestimated the hatred that exists between these schools and programs.

Now we’re left to see if the KHSAA agrees that the sacrifice of Jason Mays is enough.  If not, Ashland’s boys basketball players could be sitting in the stands at the district and region tournaments this season.  If that’s the case, Boyd County and Russell will surely welcome any talented Ashland athletes with open arms.  We shall see.

So you are saying he is an innocent victim?  You know there is a recording, right?
Big Grin I stopped reading after "Jason Mays was a victim"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Guys told you when started the other thread the first of June that this would not end well but several on here were denials the whole time. Like I said over a month when Ashland tried there little 4 games suspension that the KHSAA might have more to say.

https://www.dailyindependent.com/sports/...l#comments
(11-15-2022, 05:56 PM)jamesclay Wrote: I guess that phone call was a big deal after all.
There is more than a phone call. More to come I’m sure
I think the funny part is all of Ashlands players will start jumping ship to the same schools that have always done the reporting. Dont be suprised to see things shaken up dramatically in the 16th region the next few years.
And those schools will welcome them with open arms
well then. I guess that is that. Time for all to move on.
Lay the smack down on the sneaky snakes.
(11-15-2022, 09:57 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: And those schools will welcome them with open arms
As long as they aren’t recruiting them in and they transfer per KHSAA rules then I see nobody getting in trouble.
(11-15-2022, 11:49 PM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(11-15-2022, 09:57 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: And those schools will welcome them with open arms
As long as they aren’t recruiting them in and they transfer per KHSAA rules then I see nobody getting in trouble.
Scotty no one is leaving. In addition they would have to buy a house and move per khsaa. This is why mays got in trouble now don’t be surprised if you see two of them get ruled ineligible per khsaa sanctions yet still to come.
(11-15-2022, 10:01 PM)Vols0528 Wrote: well then.  I guess that is that.  Time for all to move on.
Next time, maybe you should listen to more than 7 minutes of a 51 minute phone call before voicing such a strong opinion on said phone call. It's good to see that Ashland finally did the right thing, despite waiting until the KHSAA made it clear that they had little other choice.
What facts make this OK?
In my opinion, Mays deserved to be fired because he got caught talking badly about his players on his team in an effort to lure the son of the recording father. I don't know how he could win back respect of his team after that. Ashland should have let him go when the recording was released.

What facts make this NOT OK?
Mays got caught recruiting, but it happened via malicious entrapment by a Boyd County parent. Boyd County has benefited more from transfers across their athletic program than any school in the area over the past 5 years. If you truly believe the many transfers that have enrolled at Boyd County over the past 5 years were done without any backroom conversations with coaches and administrators, then you are either a low IQ person or just dishonest. At best, you can just claim they're better at not getting caught.

What will happen to Jason Mays?
Who knows? The man has been going through a difficult family time and I truly feel bad for him at this point. He is clearly a great coach who worked hard for his players to benefit himself, but he belongs in a bigger city where high school sports aren't such a big deal to generations of people who tie their identity to the success of a school. Look at Nathan McPeek. He was run out of Fairview by Ashland and Raceland, yet now he coaches the best football team in the entire state and regularly sends his players to power 5 schools. There is a place for coaches like Jason Mays...just not in these parts.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball team?
I'm sure we will find out before December 2nd, their opening game, if they can participate in district and region play this season. If the KHSAA punishment follows the Rose Hill basketball and Fairview football situations, then they won't be suiting up in the post-season this year. I hope for the players sake that they somehow get to compete, though. As for the coaching situation, who knows? One Ashland coach, ironically from Boyd County, was specifically implicated in the recruiting so I'm not sure if this is a purge of the entire staff or not. If Ashland hires someone internal, then people like 16th Region Baller get his way and his boy might get to play. If Ashland hires someone external, then the candidate better be squeaky clean which means he's likely never won anywhere before.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball transfers?
It's being floated that Boyd County has petitioned the KHSAA to deem a couple of transfers ineligible to play, specifically one that the recording father has a special hatred for per his call. This is disgusting to me and further casts Boyd County in a terrible light. From the father admitting on his call to harassing the boy during open gyms to Boyd County turning him away from admission to their Homecoming dance this year, I don't know if I've ever seen a school show a single player so much hatred. I hope all the Ashland players get to play but if they don't, I hope there are some attorneys who will step up and cool off Boyd County's fervor against Ashland and specifically this player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16thregioner's post:
  • i82much
(11-16-2022, 10:01 AM)16thregioner Wrote: What facts make this OK?
In my opinion, Mays deserved to be fired because he got caught talking badly about his players on his team in an effort to lure the son of the recording father.  I don't know how he could win back respect of his team after that.  Ashland should have let him go when the recording was released.

What facts make this NOT OK?
Mays got caught recruiting, but it happened via malicious entrapment by a Boyd County parent.  Boyd County has benefited more from transfers across their athletic program than any school in the area over the past 5 years.  If you truly believe the many transfers that have enrolled at Boyd County over the past 5 years were done without any backroom conversations with coaches and administrators, then you are either a low IQ person or just dishonest.  At best, you can just claim they're better at not getting caught.

What will happen to Jason Mays?
Who knows?  The man has been going through a difficult family time and I truly feel bad for him at this point.  He is clearly a great coach who worked hard for his players to benefit himself, but he belongs in a bigger city where high school sports aren't such a big deal to generations of people who tie their identity to the success of a school.  Look at Nathan McPeek.  He was run out of Fairview by Ashland and Raceland, yet now he coaches the best football team in the entire state and regularly sends his players to power 5 schools.  There is a place for coaches like Jason Mays...just not in these parts.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball team?
I'm sure we will find out before December 2nd, their opening game, if they can participate in district and region play this season.  If the KHSAA punishment follows the Rose Hill basketball and Fairview football situations, then they won't be suiting up in the post-season this year.  I hope for the players sake that they somehow get to compete, though.  As for the coaching situation, who knows?  One Ashland coach, ironically from Boyd County, was specifically implicated in the recruiting so I'm not sure if this is a purge of the entire staff or not.  If Ashland hires someone internal, then people like 16th Region Baller get his way and his boy might get to play.  If Ashland hires someone external, then the candidate better be squeaky clean which means he's likely never won anywhere before.

What will happen to the Ashland boys basketball transfers?
It's being floated that Boyd County has petitioned the KHSAA to deem a couple of transfers ineligible to play, specifically one that the recording father has a special hatred for per his call.  This is disgusting to me and further casts Boyd County in a terrible light.  From the father admitting on his call to harassing the boy during open gyms to Boyd County turning him away from admission to their Homecoming dance this year, I don't know if I've ever seen a school show a single player so much hatred.  I hope all the Ashland players get to play but if they don't, I hope there are some attorneys who will step up and cool off Boyd County's fervor against Ashland and specifically this player.
None of this would have happened if Mays had not cheated and been caught. It is unfortunate that some innocent kids will suffer because of his serial lapses in judgment, but that is why coaches should follow the rules to which they are bound. Unfortunately, lawyers will probably get even more involved and Ashland taxpayers may end up paying dearly to sever ties with former Coach Mays, but that is the cost of winning when the choice to win at all costs is made.
Great synopsis 16thregioner. I certainly hope any decisions rendered don't include post season sanctions against the team. We don't know the whole story as far as the KHSAA investigation goes....but....sanctioning the team based on one phone call just wouldn't seem right....however....if the investigation includes evidence of recruiting team members that played last year or are going to play this year then I would understand sanctioning the team. I just don't want this to be another instance of a coach walking and then the program and the innocent taking the brunt of the punishment. I believe Coach Mays is a good man that just went too far. It's somewhat understandable considering he came from the collegiate ranks and has a lot of AAU ties. These are two arenas where talk like we heard from Coach Mays is just how it's done. Doesn't make it right though...this is not those arenas.
Also....I keep hearing from different posters "win at all costs"....I don't buy that, I am in no way defending what Mays did but I do believe his heart was in the right place. Time after time there are instances of him putting his players first. For example, paving the way for his best player to leave for college with one year of eligibility left. That definitely wasn't "win at ALL costs". Coach has been going through some tough life events, no need to kick the guy while he's down. And no, I'm not saying he's innocent and doesn't need to be punished as some on here will interpret my post. I've never met the guy nor any of his family but I pray he learns from this, gains some wisdom, and is able to eventually move on.
I've never met the man either but a friend of mine, who I trust, who has met him says he is a nice guy and a great coach. Without knowing what other evidence KHSAA has, it is impossible for anybody to know what the appropriate punishment is. Just based oin the phone call, I would have recommended a year of ineligibility for post season play and forfeiture of any games won with illegally recruited players.

As for being a players' coach, he certainly did no favors to the Ashland players who lost playing time because of players recruited out of district.
Glad they finally made a decision one way or another. I do think the parent that recorded that conversation is a piece of trash though. Should just said sorry, not interested and hung up. People have been recruiting since the beginning of mankind. Army’s recruit, businesses recruit, you name it.
(11-16-2022, 11:08 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I've never met the man either but a friend of mine, who I trust, who has met him says he is a nice guy and a great coach. Without knowing what other evidence KHSAA has, it is impossible for anybody to know what the appropriate punishment is. Just based oin the phone call, I would have recommended a year of ineligibility for post season play and forfeiture of any games won with illegally recruited players.

As for being a players' coach, he certainly did no favors to the Ashland players who lost playing time because of players recruited out of district.

I hear you Hoot! But....out of district kids happen everywhere.  Again, if the KHSAA provides evidence that the out of district kids were recruited, then I agree with you. If not, then the kids losing playing time to out of district kids is no different than every other school in the region, state, nation.....and in all other sports for that matter.
(11-16-2022, 10:56 AM)i82much Wrote: Great synopsis 16thregioner. I certainly hope any decisions rendered don't include post season sanctions against the team. We don't know the whole story as far as the KHSAA investigation goes....but....sanctioning the team based on one phone call just wouldn't seem right....however....if the investigation includes evidence of recruiting team members that played last year or are going to play this year then I would understand sanctioning the team. I just don't want this to be another instance of a coach walking and then the program and the innocent taking the brunt of the punishment. I believe Coach Mays is a good man that just went too far. It's somewhat understandable considering he came from the collegiate ranks and has a lot of AAU ties. These are two arenas where talk like we heard from Coach Mays is just how it's done. Doesn't make it right though...this is not those arenas.
Also....I keep hearing from different posters "win at all costs"....I don't buy that, I am in no way defending what Mays did but I do believe his heart was in the right place. Time after time there are instances of him putting his players first. For example, paving the way for his best player to leave for college with one year of eligibility left. That definitely wasn't "win at ALL costs". Coach has been going through some tough life events, no need to kick the guy while he's down. And no, I'm not saying he's innocent and doesn't need to be punished as some on here will interpret my post. I've never met the guy nor any of his family but I pray he learns from this, gains some wisdom, and is able to eventually move on.
The issue is Ashland was performing at a high level because of the unfair advantage of recruiting.  If this level and way of recruiting is permissible then all schools should design coaching staffs and programs that also perform in this same manner.  That being said schools and in particular athletic directors are currently forced to hire and develop programs that develop players instead of being great recruiters and marketers of programs.  Plain and simple it is a huge, unfair competitive advantage.
(11-16-2022, 11:20 AM)SocratesKy Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 10:56 AM)i82much Wrote: Great synopsis 16thregioner. I certainly hope any decisions rendered don't include post season sanctions against the team. We don't know the whole story as far as the KHSAA investigation goes....but....sanctioning the team based on one phone call just wouldn't seem right....however....if the investigation includes evidence of recruiting team members that played last year or are going to play this year then I would understand sanctioning the team. I just don't want this to be another instance of a coach walking and then the program and the innocent taking the brunt of the punishment. I believe Coach Mays is a good man that just went too far. It's somewhat understandable considering he came from the collegiate ranks and has a lot of AAU ties. These are two arenas where talk like we heard from Coach Mays is just how it's done. Doesn't make it right though...this is not those arenas.
The issue is Ashland was performing at a high level because of the unfair advantage of recruiting.  If this level and way of recruiting is permissible then all schools should design coaching staffs and programs that also perform in this same manner.  That being said schools and in particular athletic directors are currently forced to hire and develop programs that develop players instead of being great recruiters and marketers of programs.  Plain and simple it is a huge, unfair competitive advantage.

Just a reminder....the only evidence that we currently have of a player being recruited is the 8th grader that has never played for Ashland. IF, the KHSAA has evidence of any players on the team from previous years being recruited THEN you are absolutely right. And they may have this evidence, we just don't know at his point. If not, then there was no unfair advantage. Kids switch schools now and days like college athletes during the transfer portal. It's just the way it is....
What he did was wrong, but these kinds of conversations happen every day and have been for years and years. Star athletes don't just "show" up at another school hoping to start or play big minutes, they know ahead of time. It's funny to read posts of those condemning this situation, knowing good and well that come Friday they're gonna root for their home town team who've been doing the same thing for years.
(11-16-2022, 11:30 AM)i82much Wrote:

Just a reminder....the only evidence that we currently have of a player being recruited is the 8th grader that has never played for Ashland. IF, the KHSAA has evidence of any players on the team from previous years being recruited THEN you are absolutely right. And they may have this evidence, we just don't know at his point. If not, then there was no unfair advantage. Kids switch schools now and days like college athletes during the transfer portal. It's just the way it is....
I stated this in my post. But we can safely assume that the KHSAA has more evidence because the Ashland administration's initial response was to dismiss the phone call as a technical violation and deliver a gentle slap on the wrist punishment. It is doubtful that KHSAA forced Mays' dismissal based on the recording alone.
(11-16-2022, 11:32 AM)Ramcat77 Wrote: What he did was wrong, but these kinds of conversations happen every day and have been for years and years. Star athletes don't just "show" up at another school hoping to start or play big minutes, they know ahead of time. It's funny to read posts of those condemning this situation, knowing good and well that come Friday they're gonna root for their home town team who've been doing the same thing for years.

You're 100% correct. BUT, if you get caught, be ready to face the consequences. Not say "well everyone else does it"
(11-16-2022, 11:34 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 11:30 AM)i82much Wrote:

I stated this in my post. But we can safely assume that the KHSAA has more evidence because the Ashland administration's initial response was to dismiss the phone call as a technical violation and deliver a gentle slap on the wrist punishment. It is doubtful that KHSAA forced Mays' dismissal based on the recording alone.

I understand Hoot. I agree that we can infer they have more evidence. We just don't know if that evidence involves previous or current players. The evidence may be that he recruited Bill Walton's grand nephew or it may be that he recruited his current players. If the latter is the case then I agree with you.
Also, the evidence may show he recruited other local players that didn't transfer to Ashland, I'm sure there would be no shortage of local people ready to light up the ears of the KHSAA. If that's the case, punish Mays, not the team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Win at all cost. That is what he did and his motto. “Catch me if you can”. Well just like any criminal or rule breaker. Mays got caught. If you can’t do the time. Don’t do the crime. As far as mays being a good coach. He isn’t. He is a recruiter. You pick up half your team from the Tri state and play teams who have majority or almost all home grown kids. That’s like going back to grade school and picking all the good players on your team at recess and beating the other team. He hasn’t developed anyone. Not one kid. Recruiter not coach. I agree with most. He doesn’t belong in high school basketball for that very reason. Khsaa will hand down other punishments and I hope it doesn’t effect any of the kids. Especially for what a greedy egotistical high school basketball coach and administration did.