Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most liked/disliked Christmas songs
Haven’t tried to start a music thread in a while, let’s try this. A lady I work with insists on playing Christmas music only from post-Thanksgiving til Christmas Day. I don’t mind some of the songs the first 10,000 or so times I hear them…….but it got me thinking what are your all’s likes/dislikes? 

I’m speaking more of pop/rock/country, not so much traditional carols. My all-time favorite is John Lennon’s Happy Christmas (War is Over). I never get tired of it. On the other hand, one I despise is bandmate Sir Paul’s ‘A Wonderful Christmas Time,” which he has admitted was just a blatant money grab when he recorded it. And if I ever come across those bleeping Chipmunks………..they won’t be able to sing that God-awful Christmas song of theirs. What say you guys?
Great thread VH. I actually like "A Wonderful Christmas Time" lol.

Favorite that never gets old - "Step Into Christmas" by Elton John
Couple others I really like are "Christmas Wrapping" by The Waitresses and "2000 Miles" by The Pretenders.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Old School Hound
Hi Van Hagar!!!

I like basically all Christmas music, and I play it year round. Not constantly, but if I feeling blue. It always makes me happier.
Hey Granny Bear! That’s just creepy.? Nah, just kidding, I know a couple of other folks who feel that way. But back on topic, another one I have a hard time with that plays all the time is Rockin Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee. It’s not so much the actual song, it’s the ending when the guy is just shouting “ooh, ooh, ooh”, or whatever he is saying, over and over as the song ends. Just makes me cringe.

And JP I like your picks, they are a little outside the mainstream you hear over and over, but really great songs. But really—-you’re ok with ‘A Wonderful Christmas Time.”? Say it ain’t so!?? I really like most of Paul’s catalog after the Beatles, more so than Lennon’s. Just not on the Christmas song.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot
(12-22-2022, 08:04 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Hey Granny Bear! That’s just creepy.? Nah, just kidding, I know a couple of other folks who feel that way.  But back on topic, another one I have a hard time with that plays all the time is Rockin Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee. It’s not so much the actual song, it’s the ending when the guy is just shouting “ooh, ooh, ooh”, or whatever he is saying, over and over as the song ends.  Just makes me cringe.

And JP I like your picks, they are a little outside the mainstream you hear over and over, but really great songs. But really—-you’re ok with ‘A Wonderful Christmas Time.”? Say it ain’t so!?? I really like most of Paul’s catalog after the Beatles, more so than Lennon’s. Just not on the Christmas song.

"A Wonderful Christmas Time" is my daughter's favorite so that makes me like it. It is a very cheery song, and the video always puts a smile on my face. I'm not surprised some don't like it though.
Don't have a clue how that post got on here 3 times. Can a mod delete two of them and this one? Thanks.
You are so high maintenance!!!

Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^That is so awesome GB!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Granny Bear

RIP Christine McVie ...

OSH, speaking of Christine McVie—-and I know this is off the original topic—-but is anyone more underrated than her? Lead vocals on way more Fleetwood Mac hits than folks realize, but when you think of Fleetwood Mac most folks go straight to Lindsay Buckingham (a musical genius) or Stevie Nicks (great also). But McVie was right there with them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot, Old School Hound
(12-26-2022, 01:39 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: OSH, speaking of Christine McVie—-and I know this is off the original topic—-but is anyone more underrated than her? Lead vocals on way more Fleetwood Mac hits than folks realize, but when you think of Fleetwood Mac most folks go straight to Lindsay Buckingham (a musical genius) or Stevie Nicks (great also). But McVie was right there with them.

I've been a FM fan since the early and mid-'70's. Seen them live several times. First time I went to see them I was expecting Stevie Nicks to steal the show. Not even close. Buckingham is the star of a FM live show. Great guitarist/entertainer. A real show-stopper!!!

Now, for me, Christine McVie has always been the sound of FM . I go back to the pre-Buckingham - Nicks era.  Bare Trees was an excellent album, and was one of the earliest Mac albums I listened to. Starting with Bare Trees, and continuing with the self-titled FM album,then Rumours, and Tusk, Christine's voice was the one that I most associated with FM.She was, indeed, the band's secret weapon and , I think, the band's soul.

VH, you have given me an idea for a new music thread. I hope you'll join me in the discussion when I start it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot