Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Your Top Coaches in the 13th Region
I think one of the main things you would look at when trying to choose the top coach, would be how is the program now compared to when they were hired, has it improved, stayed the same, went down hill. To me Tony has got the program running at a high level the whole time he been there. Davis has had a couple decent teams but not at the level South has been in the past. Sizemore has improved Bell since he has been there. Parrot has improved Jackson county since he’s been there. Akel has done great at Harlan. Nobody will ever replace Bobby Keith, but Marcum kept the Bar real high at Clay. But it’s a disaster now. I’m not sure now anybody could say he done a good job. To me you need to be at school for a few years before you can tell anything about them, and will see how Valentine does after this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • Playcaller66
(02-08-2023, 01:39 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 12:33 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: And akal shouldn’t be on any list, his team is running fast break street ball with no plays, direction, or goal other than to shoot threes and dunk. He’s truly riding on his talent.

Well that isn't thinly veiled. 

I don't see anyone else on the list with a school of his size and feel that he gets about as much out of his team as anyone else could.

If you are small and quick it makes sense to play at a fast tempo. It just seems that you are making some lazy comparisons and applying labels.

Also, maybe it looks like he has lots of talent because their program is very good at player development, strength and conditioning, etc.

All that said, I think it's fair to say that many people think that they are a bit too reliant on the three and susceptible to losing games they shouldn't on nights they go cold from the floor.

Also, wasn't the Harlan girls usually good when Akal was the coach? Seems like he knows what he's doing.

(02-08-2023, 03:19 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I think one of the main things you would look at when trying to choose the top coach, would be how is the program now compared to when they were hired, has it improved, stayed the same, went down hill. To me Tony has got the program running at a high level the whole time he been there. Davis has had a couple decent teams but not at the level South has been in the past. Sizemore has improved Bell since he has been there. Parrot has improved Jackson county since he’s been there. Akel has done great at Harlan. Nobody will ever replace Bobby Keith, but Marcum kept the Bar real high at Clay. But it’s a disaster now. I’m not sure now anybody could say he done a good job. To me you need to be at school for a few years before you can tell anything about them, and will see how Valentine does after this year.

Something is definitely amiss at Clay. It must go well beyond X's and O's because Glenn is a good in-game coach. I've seen him outcoach some of the best.  There seem to bigger issues going on at Clay.  Smells  like local politics.
I think Gridiron Raid makes good points about Valentine insofar as he's in an unenviable situation. Expectations are sky-high because of the talent he has. Anything less than a regional title and a good run at Rupp is going to be viewed as a disappointment. I believe it was Steve Spurrier who said that he knew it was time to leave his job (Florida) when it was "a relief to win and disappointment to lose". Valentine did a really good job getting Lexington Christian Academy to a higher level during his time there, so he's showing that he can be a good fit at two different types of programs.

FWIW, I saw North Laurel last year and didn't think that they were as talented as others thought. I think that they had some talent, certainly, but that the kids that they had weren't ideal for how you'd build a team around Sheppard if you were able to construct a roster the way you could at the collegiate level. I always thought that they'd have been better if they'd had some more size and bulk that Sheppard could dump it off to and trust to finish at the rim and who could get after some of his misses on the boards as opposed to having to be so reliant on spacing you out and trying to rely on so many different kids being able to consistently make shots.

Pikeville was a tough match-up for them for this reason-- enough size and length to keep one kid who could TRY to keep a hand in Sheppard's face and contest as best they could without having to send tons of help and still good enough to control the boards while the North's supporting cast had to take deep shots in a big, unfamiliar arena.

The addition of Chadwell certainly went a long way in remedying what they needed, but I still think that they're probably a player or two short of the talent that you'll see on the best teams in the 7th, 9th, 11th, etc.; add another good athlete and another kid with some size and they are probably a solid favorite to win it all.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cactus Jack's post:
  • Playcaller66, Van Hagar
Are u all serious coach Akal won the region with Cumberland and multiple with Harlan girls an all a school. U say it’s street ball are u saying that bc they black. Great coaches do most of the coaching in practice. U refer to the Martin county game they shot 5 for 37 from three shots they usually make it was his job to get them the shots their job to make them. Coaching high school is more than wins and losses he took kids with troubled backgrounds and changed their life academically and before he got there they stayed in trouble and now are model students. Life is more important than basketball and he has impacted these kids life for the better. U say he hasn’t won a game I. The region bc he has ran int to Corbin or south who u have their coaches on the top of your list who are bigger schools and just had better talent. Harlan was on a 14 year drought not been to the regional tournament before he took over. He has won 4 straight all a 13th region tournaments and made it to the regional tournament every year he has been at Harlan. I’m not saying he is number 1 but put some respect on that man’s name.

(02-08-2023, 01:51 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 01:39 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 12:33 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: And akal shouldn’t be on any list, his team is running fast break street ball with no plays, direction, or goal other than to shoot threes and dunk. He’s truly riding on his talent.

Well that isn't thinly veiled. 

I don't see anyone else on the list with a school of his size and feel that he gets about as much out of his team as anyone else could.

If you are small and quick it makes sense to play at a fast tempo. It just seems that you are making some lazy comparisons and applying labels.

Also, maybe it looks like he has lots of talent because their program is very good at player development, strength and conditioning, etc.

All that said, I think it's fair to say that many people think that they are a bit too reliant on the three and susceptible to losing games they shouldn't on nights they go cold from the floor.
Watched the game at harlan against HC, at bell, and the all A. He never coached. He got in trouble, and never made an adjustment or gave advice, it was just keep shooting, keep running. I yell at cal for running the “GOOO” offense, this is the same. Yes he plays to the strengths of the team, but they have not improved as a team since game 1. I was high on them 1 month ago, i even thought they could win the region. But now i’m convinced the game in two weeks may be a barn burner to make it to region. 

And on the case of player development, these kids worked themselves. There’s no coach that makes an impact on off season growth like what mcclendon and others did. All akal had to do was unlock the gym if he even did that after all his “personal issues” recently may have taken time from coaching. If anything, give credit to the football coaching staff as a lot of these kids changed their bodies by playing football this year.

Only one kid played football and Akal has developed all these kids i seen that first hand his drills are unreal since he played semi pro I think Uighur where your sheet under your clothes or u are just illiterate when it comes to basketball u sound like a hater to and I really can’t say what I want too just read in between the lines if u are capable

Harlan has over achieved since they was preseason ranked number 7
I think the coach at Lynn Camp does really well. If he had one or two more pieces he would be really good.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • Playcaller66
(02-08-2023, 03:19 PM)insideinfo Wrote: I think one of the main things you would look at when trying to choose the top coach, would be how is the program now compared to when they were hired, has it improved, stayed the same, went down hill. To me Tony has got the program running at a high level the whole time he been there. Davis has had a couple decent teams but not at the level South has been in the past. Sizemore has improved Bell since he has been there. Parrot has improved Jackson county since he’s been there. Akel has done great at Harlan. Nobody will ever replace Bobby Keith, but Marcum kept the Bar real high at Clay. But it’s a disaster now. I’m not sure now anybody could say he done a good job. To me you need to be at school for a few years before you can tell anything about them, and will see how Valentine does after this year.

Marcum is 10-1 better coach than Gray. Had Marcum been coaching Robinson, Abner, Farmers group then Clay County win Region every year with that group. Tony Patterson is only coach in the 13th Region who could have beaten that group if Marcum is coaching.

(02-08-2023, 04:09 PM)Cactus Jack Wrote: I think Gridiron Raid makes good points about Valentine insofar as he's in an unenviable situation. Expectations are sky-high because of the talent he has. Anything less than a regional title and a good run at Rupp is going to be viewed as a disappointment. I believe it was Steve Spurrier who said that he knew it was time to leave his job (Florida) when it was "a relief to win and disappointment to lose". Valentine did a really good job getting Lexington Christian Academy to a higher level during his time there, so he's showing that he can be a good fit at two different types of programs.

FWIW, I saw North Laurel last year and didn't think that they were as talented as others thought. I think that they had some talent, certainly, but that the kids that they had weren't ideal for how you'd build a team around Sheppard if you were able to construct a roster the way you could at the collegiate level. I always thought that they'd have been better if they'd had some more size and bulk that Sheppard could dump it off to and trust to finish at the rim and who could get after some of his misses on the boards as opposed to having to be so reliant on spacing you out and trying to rely on so many different kids being able to consistently make shots.

Pikeville was a tough match-up for them for this reason-- enough size and length to keep one kid who could TRY to keep a hand in Sheppard's face and contest as best they could without having to send tons of help and still good enough to control the boards while the North's supporting cast had to take deep shots in a big, unfamiliar arena.

The addition of Chadwell certainly went a long way in remedying what they needed, but I still think that they're probably a player or two short of the talent that you'll see on the best teams in the 7th, 9th, 11th, etc.; add another good athlete and another kid with some size and they are probably a solid favorite to win it all.
Yes Chadwell helped solidify North as a Region Championship contender. I watched the North vs Lincoln game earlier in week and Lincoln played with North till 4th quarter. Why didn’t the Brock kid start is my question? He wasn’t injured as he played but not nearly what he’s been playing. It’s easy to see body language of players and it didn’t appear his was especially happy. No one on North bench should be starting over Brock period politics or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Playcaller66's post:
  • 64SUR
(02-08-2023, 02:02 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 01:51 AM)predict_proba Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 07:02 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: 1. Davis
2. P
3. Sizemore
4. Taylor 

Gridiron Raid I fixed it for you. ?

Yeah, Valentine doesn't deserve a top five ranking.  He should have had multiple Rupp appearances. Although, give Patterson and Knox credit. They stepped up big in region tourney play. No Rupp wins  for Valentine with this group is unacceptable, though.
1. Davis, 2. Sizemore. 3. Akal, 4. Taylor, 5. Pietrowski, 6. Jones, 7. Gray, 8. Swords, 9. Parrett, 10. Valentine. ( Cody Messer isn’t a head coach but ranks 6th on list if he was ).
Tony P has to considered the top coach in the 13th in my opinion, but I think Nate Valentine is being sold a little short by many in this thread and that might come back to bite everyone come region time.. I know I might be considered to have a little Harlan bias also, but Kyle Jones is another young man that is going to make his name known over the next few years I believe. He has the knowledge, the passion and the work ethic along with some fire in his belly to be one of the best coaches in the region and he’s just getting started.. HC has the talent now and has a fiery group of 8th graders coming up next year that will give him some more nice talent to work with moving forward…..
(02-12-2023, 05:29 PM)Black Bear Cuz Wrote: Tony P has to considered the top coach in the 13th in my opinion, but I think Nate Valentine is being sold a little short by many in this thread and that might come back to bite everyone come region time.. I know I might be considered to have a little Harlan bias also, but Kyle Jones is another young man that is going to make his name known over the next few years I believe. He has the knowledge, the passion and the work ethic along with some fire in his belly to be one of the best coaches  in the region and he’s just getting started.. HC has the talent now and has a fiery group of 8th graders coming up next year that will give him some more nice talent to work with moving forward…..

Tony P definitely is one of the top coaches in the region. I believe Valentine's on court product is what's coming up short though. He's teams should be winning way more than they are and that is what reflects on him in my opinion. I do agree that in time Kyle Jones could turn out to be a good one, he's taking over a rocky situation and kept the ship moving very smoothly, it will take a couple of years to get on the list, but he's well on his way.
All those mentioned are really good coaches. But I don't think Eric Swords at Whitley Co. gets enough credit. He had a winning record at Berea, which is one of the smallest public schools in Central KY. Then had 2 winning seasons, including the Covid year at Williamsburg. He just won 20 games at WC in his first season there. If the administration gives him some time he'll build a consistent winner there. The only knock I hear is his scheduling of smaller schools now he is at a bigger school. And also needs to pick and choose his battles with referee calls he disagrees with. Just my opinion.
That's a no for me on Swords. He is way out of his league he had a pretty talented squad and he wasn't ready. Cards had a injured wing he couldn't even keep the game close after the first qtr. He changed very little as the game moved on. He did sub much to early and the young pups weren't ready for the physicality of the dirty birds. My pick on top in 13th Davis, Sizemore, Tony P,  After that I say just put the names in a hat and draw. The Old Tigers going to try and get one tonight on Valentines squad. Which word is V's squad  will look like a knocked over bubble gum machine after season. Who Knows where the gumballs will wind up!