Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What do you feel makes a good quality coach?
What do you think makes a good quality coach?  What is expected?
Holding your kids accountable for there actions, setting the standard you want at your program and being able to get kids to buy in to what you're preaching to them. You also have to have thick skin and not let anyones criticism get to you.

This is on the Basketball thread but that goes for all sports.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Road Dog's post:
  • Bulldogs4Ever
I think Kentucky is a state; despite having two “traditionally” storied powerful programs- that has very little big time D-1 type talent.

So…..a good coach for our state should play some kind of pressure defense; force HS kids to play under duress and make pressured decisions. Rebounding should be a heavy component of the teams’ identity. Then, dribble the heck out of the ball and run a dribble handoff- high or open post offense and shoot layups when HS defenses break down.

Discipline, respect, and accountability go without saying and of course he/she has to be able to block out the noise of social media and the grumblers.
1. Meeting and exceeding the expectations and potential of his roster
2. Having a gameplan for every team he plays rather than just lacing them up and going out there
3. High pressure man and zone defense with multiple traps and force turnovers
4. Low turnover team that takes smart and good shots, bobby keith’s famous words “no more than 8 turnovers a game and shoot over 50 percent”

A lot of coaches meet and accomplish a few of these like sizemore and coach P at corbin. But only one in the 13th completes all four and that’s davis. Other regions there are probably more, but this is what it takes to be a “GREAT” coach and it’s rare to find a person with all four qualities.
I don’t coach basketball but have coached other sports for over 10 years. These are just a few of the standards that I hold myself to in order to be the best coach I can possibly be.

1. You have to genuinely care about the kids on your team.

2. Be committed to ongoing education and improving your craft.

3. Find people who are smarter than you and be willing to learn from them.

4. Win the parents.

5. Be willing to listen to the kids on your team.

6. Don’t be stuck on your way of doing things. Sometimes your situation won’t allow you to do what you want.

7. Meet your kids where they are at and focus on developing them for who they are and not what you want them to be.

8. Have a strong presence in the community.

9. Build a staff that you trust and don’t micromanage.

10. Build a culture that retains athletes for their whole career and makes new athletes want to be a part of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • DukeBoy
Orange Blaze you have it 100 % right.They something wrong when a school can't have a basketball banquet at the end of season.Coach can't face the parents ain't no coach.Why do they start out with 100 or more players in elementary only graduate 1 or 2 seniors.??
[-] The following 1 user Likes Turnover's post:
  • DukeBoy
I would say politics Turnover. Coaches usually can’t handle standing up there bragging when they know they did things they truly knew wasn’t right.
A problem that I’ve found in youth sports is that kids aren’t learning basic fundamentals of movement from a young age. I coach at the high school level and it really amazes me how many kids can’t do basic movements like skipping or landing properly when they jump. These are skills that used to be taught in P.E. class in elementary school that aren’t being taught any more.

As far as the athlete turnover rate, I think it’s a combination of a few factors. The big one being that kids don’t go outside and have free play like they used to and have too many electronic distractions. Talking with parents and kids, I’ve found that a lot of kids simply aren’t as interested in being active as they were in the 20+ years ago and a lot of kids are there because their parents make them play and not because they actually want to be there.

For the kids that do play sports, too many coaches push the athletes to exclusively focus on one sport. I think this also plays into the lack of development of fundamentals as mentioned before. Sports are also becoming extremely expensive and opportunities for lower income kids to have access to better coaching are limited and this may result in an otherwise talented kid not being able to reach his/her full potential.

Finally, there is the political side of things. You either have administrations that have unrealistic expectations or they simply don’t invest in other programs equally like they would in another. Most schools have an identity as being good at 1 sport and every now and then they might be good at 2. It is rare, especially in smaller schools to see a school invest in the success of multiple programs. Pikeville is the best in this regard that I’ve seen at the small school level. You also have the “daddy ball” element that makes it hard for a good coach to be effective because their job could be threatened if they don’t play a kid whose parents are a booster.

Coaching is a very hard job and unless you’ve done it I don’t think most people understand how much work and stress is in that job. Add to that that they pay isn’t good and you spend a lot of time away from from your family and it makes the job even tougher. To be a good coach means you have to love what you do and I think the best coaches are the ones who aren’t necessarily focused on their win loss record but more so about using sports as a vehicle to teach young people core values that they can use later in their lives to be productive members of society.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • Van Hagar
Ingame adjustments
2 of the best with ingame adjustments
14th region- al holland-hazard
15th region- Eric ratliff-pike Co. Central
[-] The following 1 user Likes Warriorhawk17's post:
  • DukeBoy
Can't adjust when you run everything in practice to get a player player of the year or get your picture took at half court with a 1000 or 2000 point ball.
That makes thier seasonNumber 1 team is way better than number 1 player.
(02-18-2023, 11:19 AM)Turnover Wrote: Can't adjust when you run everything in practice to get a player player of the year or get your picture took at half court with a 1000 or 2000 point ball.
That makes thier seasonNumber 1 team is way better than number 1 player.
sounds like from the last 2 posts you have someone in mind that doesn’t meet any of these expectations in this thread?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Turnover
Until Jim Matney came to Johnson Central, I always thought players had more to do with winning than coaching. He turned the football program around overnight. We went from Paintsville circling our game on their schedule to wouldn't play us, it was amazing. My grandson played U10 baseball for Coach Matney and I can say he ran very organized practices, kids were always doing some drill instead of goofing off. Great guy, never said a bad word to the kids. Great coach.
Gridiron ain't that good or bad
1) if my kid gets to play a lot
2) if we win
3) same as 1)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fanman's post:
  • Cactus Jack
(02-24-2023, 01:23 PM)Fanman Wrote: 1) if my kid gets to play a lot
2) if we win
3) same as 1)
Are you from breathitt county? ?
Careful Parkway, the Cartel has their eyes on you.
Duke, when is the 14th region draw?
(02-24-2023, 05:07 PM)Mountainparkway Wrote: Duke, when is the 14th region draw?

Tomorrow around 11 I believe
[-] The following 1 user Likes griffman's post:
  • Mountainparkway