Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitesburg 62 Dorton 50
Final from LCC.

Whitesburg was led by Logan Johnson who had 24 points. Koree Stewart had 15, and Sidney Fields had 11.

David Belcher led the Wildcats with 18 points. Logan Lucas added 8 points and 10 assists, and Zack Collins and Cody Belter had 6 each.
Congrats Whitesburg!
Can't wait to see Logan get back into shape! Played very good and smart as usual but could tell that he was winded pretty fast. has only been back on his leg for about 2 weeks for conditioning. This boy is going to be a special player for years to come!
Whitesburg is just huge across the front line. Dorton played hard.
As long as Randy is coaching a team, then they will play hard. I really think he is a great young coach in the mountains who knows basketball and gets the most out of his kids! Dorton will be fine this year@!
#11 on Dorton was the only ballhandler for the Wildcats. He was worn down by the end of the game. Beat the Yellowjackets on transition several times. If he would have had more help, the outcome could have been different.

Whitesburg must work the ball into the inside more. Johnson ,after his football injury, will take some time to be 100%. They will be the team to beat in Letcher Co.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:As long as Randy is coaching a team, then they will play hard. I really think he is a great young coach in the mountains who knows basketball and gets the most out of his kids! Dorton will be fine this [email=year@!]year@![/email]

Thanks for the compliment, Playboy 5.

I was proud of the boys yesterday because they really rose to the challenge. Like I said earlier, Whitesburg beat us 34 points last year in this same group, and the boys were out to prove to themselves and everyone else that they had improved. These boys have worked hard over the past two years for their 8th grade year. They won 3 games as a team 2 years ago.

Whitesburg's press and offensive rebounding killed us.

I know one thing . . . any coach would love to have that many athletes on their team. That team has the ability to be one of the best middle school teams in the state.

By the way, that was Whitesburg's first game and our 7th.
UKisN1 Wrote:#11 on Dorton was the only ballhandler for the Wildcats. He was worn down by the end of the game. Beat the Yellowjackets on transition several times. If he would have had more help, the outcome could have been different.

Whitesburg must work the ball into the inside more. Johnson ,after his football injury, will take some time to be 100%. They will be the team to beat in Letcher Co.

Ballhandling is our glaring weakness. Logan (#11) asked out several times because he was tired, but we just couldn't bring him out. Instead we called timeouts to rest him. We are trying to work other kids at point in games we are winning.

I agree that Whitesburg needs to get the ball inside more. Stewart (#21) and Fields (#23) could be beasts in the post. The inside out game and the athleticism of Logan Johnson should kill other teams.
Good luck coach! Hope the best for you and your team!
You're right...Logan is the only ballhandler Dorton has...the cats need someone good enough just to take him out for a breather...otherwise Dorton will be in trouble..good luck wildcats and congrats Whitesburg...
UKisN1 Wrote:Good luck coach! Hope the best for you and your team!

Thanks, UKisN1. This team is fun to watch, and I think they will have a pretty good season. If the boys keep working hard, I think they will surpass expectations of most people.
Oh I agree, Dorton will be just fine. I really think, just like there football team, that Whitesburg will be one of the best basketball teams in the mountains. I just wish they had a true point guard, a player like #11 from Dorton, on Whitesburg's team. Really is all they lack. But best of luck to both of these teams!
I agree, Randy would make a good High School coach for someone.