• 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
16th Region Draw
Wednesday top of Bracket March 1st Ashland vs. Morgan County 6:30pm
                                      March 1st Russell vs. Fleming County 8pm

Bottom of Bracket March 2nd Lewis County vs. Bath County 6:30 pm
                                              East Carter vs. Boyd County 8pm

Semis March 6th 6:30 and 8:00 pm

Championship March 7th 7pm
Ashland vs Morgan and the Russell vs Fleming are tough matchups in the first round!
I’m hoping for an Ashland vs Russell semi-final matchup. Yes …. The first round games will be tough games but they are both games, Ashland and Russell should win. But it’s tournament time and anything can happen.

But in all honesty wouldn’t an Ashland/Russell regional matchup be great for the 16th Region. Especially after all the chatter from the beginning of the season where Russell wouldn’t play them.

A lot of shade has been thrown towards Ashland from the Russell school and fan base! First round victories by both teams would force a matchup even thou Russell didn’t want to play them. The plot thickens! High school basketball at its best!!
(02-25-2023, 05:08 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I’m hoping for an Ashland vs Russell semi-final matchup. Yes …. The first round games will be tough games but they are both games, Ashland and Russell should win. But it’s tournament time and anything can happen.

But in all honesty wouldn’t an Ashland/Russell regional matchup be great for the 16th Region. Especially after all the chatter from the beginning of the season where Russell wouldn’t play them.

A lot of shade has been thrown towards Ashland from the Russell school and fan base! First round victories by both teams would force a matchup even thou Russell didn’t want to play them. The plot thickens! High school basketball at its best!!

Russell wasn't the only team who didn't play Ashland, Greenup County and Lewis County didn't play them either. Russell still played Boyd County who is just as good as Ashland. Also West Carter didn't play Ashland.
No Question there were other teams that didn’t play them but few (if any) chatted as much as Russell did! A little extra motivation for Ashland but let’s not get ahead of ourselves! Both teams have to win their openings!

No Question there were other teams that didn’t play them but few (if any) talked as much as Russell did! A little extra motivation for Ashland! But let’s not get ahead of ourselves!

No Question there were other teams that didn’t play them but few (if any) talked as much as Russell did! A little extra motivation for Ashland! But let’s not get ahead of ourselves!
I couldn't care less about Ashland and I think you should move on just like everyone else did a long time ago.
I understand why no one wanted to play the tomcats. Everyone knows Mays had been cheating for a few years. I don’t think anyone cares now. Russell, Fleming and Morgan all will be a tough out during tournament time in that half of the bracket.
(02-25-2023, 08:29 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
(02-25-2023, 05:08 PM)The_Messenger Wrote: I’m hoping for an Ashland vs Russell semi-final matchup. Yes …. The first round games will be tough games but they are both games, Ashland and Russell should win. But it’s tournament time and anything can happen.

Russell wasn't the only team who didn't play Ashland, Greenup County and Lewis County didn't play them either. Russell still played Boyd County who is just as good as Ashland. Also West Carter didn't play Ashland.
Greenup was never on the schedule.  That is an incorrect statement.  Russell, Lewis and West Carter found an opportunity to get them off their schedule and dove on it.  They later said that they wouldn't play Mays.  Now that Mays is fired, there should be no reason to NOT play them.  If they add the Tomcats back to the schedule next year, we will know that they were telling the truth.  If they still keep Ashland off the schedule, we all know that they were running.  JMO.
I was wrong! I thought this would be a great game. Ashland made that run last in the 1st half and basically put that thought to rest. The disparity in guard play was just too much for Russell to overcome. Congrats to Russell on a very good season.

I think Ashland’s schedule really had them prepared for the moment. I know they have 11 losses but they played some high quality teams. I thought they looked like they were use to playing at a tournament level.

If Boyd can win their semi-final game later tonight then tomorrow night will be a classic.
15 of 32 3s for Ashland was the difference in the game.
It's hard to beat any team who hits that many 3's unless you hit just about as many.
I totally agree. Ashland's perimeter shooting was impressive. But that is my point about their schedule. You can tell they were use to getting good shots against good competition. They shot uncontested 3's all night and to their credit they made them.